. Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kalvano

Diamond

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Post by kalvano » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm just trying to figure out what on track is.
I'm about 3-4 days behind the Texas checklist they sent out and I'm at 28%. I imagine on track would be about 34%-36%.

antonious13

New

Post by antonious13 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:24 pm

elysiansmiles wrote:Ugh, bombed that property question set. I think I'm getting worse at property.
I got my ass handed to me by the second Crim Pro MBE. Complete opposite of the first one I took.

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:40 pm

TheBeard wrote:
geekrocker37 wrote:I'm at 40% right now on PA/NJ. I feel like I could easily pass the MBE, but I know nothing about the state essays. Insane PA civil procedure stuff.
YES. That PA civil procedure lecture with the Widener professor was brutal.
PA Civ Pro is the Debbil.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:31 am

WTF am I missing on this torts question? I thought there was no “reasonable mistake” defense for private citizen arrests for felonies and that only cops get immunity there?
23. (Question ID#1136)
The police in the city notified local gas station attendants that a female robber recently had committed armed robberies at five city gas stations. The police said that the robber was approximately 75 years old, had white hair, and drove a vintage, cream-colored Ford Thunderbird. The attendants were advised to call police if they saw her, but not to attempt to apprehend her. Armed robbery is a felony under state law.
A traveler was passing through the city on a cross-country journey. The traveler was a 75-year-old woman who had white hair and drove a vintage, cream-colored Ford Thunderbird. When the traveler drove into a gas station owned by the attendant, the attendant thought the traveler must be the robber wanted by the police. After checking the oil at the traveler's request, the attendant falsely informed the traveler that she had a broken fan belt, that her car could not be driven without a new belt, that it would take him about an hour to replace it, and that she should stay in his office for consultation about the repair. The traveler was greatly annoyed that her journey was delayed, but she stayed in the attendant's office while she waited for her car. The attendant telephoned the police and, within the hour, the police came and questioned the traveler. The police immediately determined that the traveler was not the robber, and the traveler resumed her journey without further delay.
In the traveler's action for false imprisonment against the attendant, the traveler will

A. Not prevail, if the attendant reasonably believed that the traveler was the robber.
B. Not prevail, because the traveler suffered no physical or mental harm.
C. Prevail, if the traveler reasonably believed she could not leave the attendant's premises.
D. Prevail, because the attendant lied to the traveler about the condition of her car.

Incorrect: Answer choice A is correct. A private citizen is privileged to make an arrest in the case of a felony if a felony has in fact been committed and the arresting party has reasonable ground to suspect that the person being arrested committed it. Therefore, the attendant's restriction of the traveler's movement, based on his reasonable belief that she was the robber, was a privileged imprisonment. Answer choice B is incorrect because a plaintiff need not show actual damages to recover for false imprisonment. Answer choices C and D are incorrect because the attendant has a viable defense of privilege.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:39 am

No, there's a reasonable mistake defense for private citizens who have a reasonable belief the person committed a felony.

For cops, they get complete immunity I think, even if they didn't have a reasonable belief.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:39 am

forza wrote:WTF am I missing on this torts question? I thought there was no “reasonable mistake” defense for private citizen arrests for felonies and that only cops get immunity there?
23. (Question ID#1136)
The police in the city notified local gas station attendants that a female robber recently had committed armed robberies at five city gas stations. The police said that the robber was approximately 75 years old, had white hair, and drove a vintage, cream-colored Ford Thunderbird. The attendants were advised to call police if they saw her, but not to attempt to apprehend her. Armed robbery is a felony under state law.
A traveler was passing through the city on a cross-country journey. The traveler was a 75-year-old woman who had white hair and drove a vintage, cream-colored Ford Thunderbird. When the traveler drove into a gas station owned by the attendant, the attendant thought the traveler must be the robber wanted by the police. After checking the oil at the traveler's request, the attendant falsely informed the traveler that she had a broken fan belt, that her car could not be driven without a new belt, that it would take him about an hour to replace it, and that she should stay in his office for consultation about the repair. The traveler was greatly annoyed that her journey was delayed, but she stayed in the attendant's office while she waited for her car. The attendant telephoned the police and, within the hour, the police came and questioned the traveler. The police immediately determined that the traveler was not the robber, and the traveler resumed her journey without further delay.
In the traveler's action for false imprisonment against the attendant, the traveler will

A. Not prevail, if the attendant reasonably believed that the traveler was the robber.
B. Not prevail, because the traveler suffered no physical or mental harm.
C. Prevail, if the traveler reasonably believed she could not leave the attendant's premises.
D. Prevail, because the attendant lied to the traveler about the condition of her car.

Incorrect: Answer choice A is correct. A private citizen is privileged to make an arrest in the case of a felony if a felony has in fact been committed and the arresting party has reasonable ground to suspect that the person being arrested committed it. Therefore, the attendant's restriction of the traveler's movement, based on his reasonable belief that she was the robber, was a privileged imprisonment. Answer choice B is incorrect because a plaintiff need not show actual damages to recover for false imprisonment. Answer choices C and D are incorrect because the attendant has a viable defense of privilege.
Cops get a reasonable mistake defense for (1) whether the felony occurred and (2) the identity of the felon. Citizens don't get a mistake defense for the felony (it had to have occurred) but still get a defense of mistake as to the identity.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:43 am

Oh son of a bitch. It is a defense to make a reasonable mistake as to the identity of a suspected felon, but not as to whether the felony was actually committed.

edit: yeah, you scooped me. God damn I have grown to hate torts MBE questions.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:50 am

Don't worry, I'm still incapable of calculating damages no matter how many times I see it.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:51 am

38% right now for CA. I think that I am on track or even a little in front of the official CA schedule.

I've been doing some things out of order in Flex Mode when the Directed Mode didn't seem right.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JDCA2012

New

Post by JDCA2012 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:32 am

Last edited by JDCA2012 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rawgator06

New

Post by rawgator06 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:43 am

So, I am about 38% done with the course and I still feel like I am doing poorly on the MBE questions. I was wondering if anyone was doing a separate bar supplement, such as Adaptibar or Multistate Edge? Multistate Edge has 2400 questions, so it seems like it may be worth a shot.
Also, so far, I have found the outlines to be a bit sub-par and wanted to know if anyone knew of any cheap bar outlines that are better than the Themis ones?
Thanks

rawgator06

New

Post by rawgator06 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:50 am

Another question: are any of you taking the Florida bar or any state bar that tests on UCC Art 3? I am looking for any basic outlines. I have zero knowledge of Article 3 and the lectures/ outline were both a bit confusing. Thanks

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:40 am

rawgator06 wrote:I was wondering if anyone was doing a separate bar supplement, such as Adaptibar or Multistate Edge? Multistate Edge has 2400 questions, so it seems like it may be worth a shot.
Nah, I think one $1,000 bar review course in which I'll do over 1,000 practice questions is enough. Minimum competency, remember that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:42 am

rawgator06 wrote:So, I am about 38% done with the course and I still feel like I am doing poorly on the MBE questions. I was wondering if anyone was doing a separate bar supplement, such as Adaptibar or Multistate Edge? Multistate Edge has 2400 questions, so it seems like it may be worth a shot.
Also, so far, I have found the outlines to be a bit sub-par and wanted to know if anyone knew of any cheap bar outlines that are better than the Themis ones?
Thanks
The themis guy posting in this thread suggested that themis has thousands of MBE questions. I'd wait to by a supplement until you actually run out, which may never happen.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:50 am

Con Law Essay : Question ID: 1523

Umm...ca I just write "I have no idea what to do here". After standing/ripeness I literally don't know. I hate ConLaw.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:09 am

BarbellDreams wrote:Con Law Essay : Question ID: 1523

Umm...ca I just write "I have no idea what to do here". After standing/ripeness I literally don't know. I hate ConLaw.
90% of the answer was standing/ripeness so I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought. But if I could trade 1 ConLaw essay for 5 Evidence essays and all my ConLaw MBEs for quadruple the amount of Evidence MBEs I'd be golden.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:15 pm

Texas people - the Corporations lecturer specifically said that the right of appraisal must be exercised AFTER a merger is approved. The shareholder must not vote in favor of the merger, and must deliver a written demand no later than 20 days after notice of the merger's approval.

The Corporations practice essay says: "To exercise the right of appraisal, the dissenting shareholder must follow the procedure set out by state law. First, he must send written notice to the corporation of his intent to dissent and his estimate of the fair value of the stock. This notice must be delivered to the corporation before the shareholders vote on the merger. "

Which is it? Written notice before or after?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:21 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Con Law Essay : Question ID: 1523

90% of the answer was standing/ripeness so I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought. But if I could trade 1 ConLaw essay for 5 Evidence essays and all my ConLaw MBEs for quadruple the amount of Evidence MBEs I'd be golden.
Same here. Or Torts. But Con Law essays get me every time. I'm like.... standing.... derp. Commerce clause? herp.

:evil:

TheBeard

Bronze

Post by TheBeard » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rawgator06 wrote:So, I am about 38% done with the course and I still feel like I am doing poorly on the MBE questions. I was wondering if anyone was doing a separate bar supplement, such as Adaptibar or Multistate Edge? Multistate Edge has 2400 questions, so it seems like it may be worth a shot.
Thanks
The themis guy posting in this thread suggested that themis has thousands of MBE questions. I'd wait to by a supplement until you actually run out, which may never happen.
Once you get through the 153 questions per individual subject, you have 18 sessions of either 50 or 100 mixed subject PQs. That's more than 1000 questions, plus the milestones. I'm thinking that's more than enough MBE questions for me. You can see this if you switch to Flex Study and click on the MBE PQs button.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:26 pm

TheBeard wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Thanks
Once you get through the 153 questions per individual subject, you have 18 sessions of either 50 or 100 mixed subject PQs. That's more than 1000 questions, plus the milestones. I'm thinking that's more than enough MBE questions for me. You can see this if you switch to Flex Study and click on the MBE PQs button.
Do we get more than that, or is that it?

TheBeard

Bronze

Post by TheBeard » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
TheBeard wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Thanks
Do we get more than that, or is that it?
From what I can tell, that's it. I think it's a little more than 2000 total questions (6x153 subject specific+1000 mixed subject+ 300 milestones). You'll definitely run out by the end of the course since you'll have done 900+ by the time you're done with the 6 subjects.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Catleesi

New

Post by Catleesi » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:53 pm

My understanding is that you can get more questions if needed... the director at my law school told me he's never had anyone run out of MBE questions.

Eruannon

Bronze

Post by Eruannon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:55 pm

I would rather have a root canal than finish the NY Corporations lectures.

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:17 pm

I'm looking at my percentages right on the different MBE subjects, and I'm straight up average in every single one. What does this mean? I don't know. How does it make me feel? Shitty.

Are we shooting for average? Is average the best we should do to get the best scaled score possible? Or should we be shooting for over that? I have no idea how I'm doing. I also still need to consult my outlines for my essay answers.

Somebody comfort me.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:20 pm

I'm kind of not really happy with some of my lectures. They didn't address topics AT ALL that are now featured in practice questions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”