. Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Bikeflip

Gold

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Post by Bikeflip » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:32 pm

kalvano wrote:Sweet mother of God, I am so far behind.

Want the handouts to help you catch back up, brehsef?

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:38 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
dsclaw wrote:I have taken two evidence classes in law school and am at the average percentage. I have thoroughly disagreed with some of the answer though.

Side note, the guy for secured transactions is absolutely boring as hell
They really shouldn't test 403 at all because prejudicial nature outweighing probative value of a piece of evidence is entirely subjective. Furthermore, I thoroughly believe that Themis MBE questions don't know that 803(1) is a statement made at or near the time of an event.
Completely agree on both accounts. I'm not sure if you've gotten the question about the police investigation & the witness describing the events to the cop, but unless the cop is Flash and the investigation happens seconds, or maybe one minute after the actual accident, ain't no way that shit is coming in under PSI. As far as 403 goes, I think besides a prior criminal act question (reverse 403 etc), an answer that suggests evidence should be excluded under 403 will rarely be correct. Based on the three quizzes i've done, questions containing that answer choice seem to be testing more on relevancy which is an extremely easy test to satisfy.

I've scored really high on all of my evidence quizzes thus far which is nice but kind of concerning at the same time. All but one of them seemed "easy" to me. I did mock trial for three years, took two advocacy courses and work at a litigation firm, however. It worries me because I don't want to count on doing well on Evidence while not studying for it as hard as the other topics. At this point, I think my goal is to score above 70% on all topics besides contracts and property. Contracts is kind of hit or miss whereas property is all but impossible for me besides a few topics. I dont think crim is too bad but I just finished the lectures today, so I haven't taken any practice questions yet.

I had my first "I feel a lot of stress in my gut" days yesterday. Hope everyone is hanging in there.

Edit - For those of you struggling with evidence, think of it as a game. Just memorize the rules and have all the non-hearsay, & hearsay exceptions readily accessible in your brain. You can plug and play with each of them in your head and at least give it a good guess.

mvp

New

Post by mvp » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:39 pm

Hey all, I'm planning on starting the NY/NJ course tomorrow. I know I'm starting extremely late, and I'm a little nervous about getting everything done in time. Any suggestions on the best way to go about it (e.g. things I could/should skip or skim, things I should make sure to focus on)?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:01 pm

Bikeflip wrote:

No, but thanks. I think I am only about 4 days behind, but it feels like 4 weeks.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:35 pm

mvp wrote:Hey all, I'm planning on starting the NY/NJ course tomorrow. I know I'm starting extremely late, and I'm a little nervous about getting everything done in time. Any suggestions on the best way to go about it (e.g. things I could/should skip or skim, things I should make sure to focus on)?
LOL wow dude... I guess just hammer all the MBE subjects, and learn New York family law, wills/trusts, corporations and CPLR.

Also, I'm not sure why everybody's hating on my boy Sherman Clark. I think he's pretty good and his round-up questions at the end of each lecture are clutch.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:57 pm

kalvano wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

No, but thanks. I think I am only about 4 days behind, but it feels like 4 weeks.
Same here. That's because of all the shit Themis puts on our to-do lists everyday, and it just compounds if I can't finish all the tasks on a given day. :x

dsclaw

New

Post by dsclaw » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:54 am

Anyone notice that the schedule has changed. I was only supposed to have 3 things for today but now I have 5. In addition, I was supposed to end on the 26th and now its saying I am supposed to finish on the 29th? It seems Themis is adding more tasks that way I do not get to 75% ? Scam?

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:50 am

mvp wrote:Hey all, I'm planning on starting the NY/NJ course tomorrow. I know I'm starting extremely late, and I'm a little nervous about getting everything done in time. Any suggestions on the best way to go about it (e.g. things I could/should skip or skim, things I should make sure to focus on)?
Watch the lectures, fill out the handouts and do the practice questions. It's probably too late to read the outlines if you want to get caught up now.

Jersey doesn't have any separate state law - the essays are all on common law MBE crap. You just need to learn NJ civ pro. So that's lucky. If I were you I would try to skim the NY state law outlines before you watch the lectures, just to hammer it home a little, but if you're super crunched for time, the lectures and handouts and practice questions are the bare minimum you should do. My two cents.

Edited to Add: watch the videos at 1.5x or 2x speed. You can do that by hovering the mouse over the video as it plays and hitting Shift, then +, then the right arrow if you're in Chrome, Safari or Firefox. Some of the profs are hard to understand at 2x speed, but 1.5x speed is still pretty fast and can cut 5 - 8 minutes off each lecture, which really adds up.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:23 pm

dsclaw wrote:Anyone notice that the schedule has changed. I was only supposed to have 3 things for today but now I have 5. In addition, I was supposed to end on the 26th and now its saying I am supposed to finish on the 29th? It seems Themis is adding more tasks that way I do not get to 75% ? Scam?
That's really weird. I'd contact them and inquire? I'm scheduled to finish on the 27th, but I usually have 5-6 things to do everyday so that's assuming I can stay on track from now until then. I know lots of people that took Themis last summer and this past February for the bar exam, and none of them passed 80% completed. I don't know how far behind they were or whatnot though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dsclaw

New

Post by dsclaw » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:31 pm

Spoiler: PROPERTY MBE QUESTION

Lawnacre was conveyed to two grantees by a deed that, in the jurisdiction in which Lawnacre is situated, created a co-tenancy in equal shares and with the right of survivorship. The jurisdiction has no statute directly applicable to any of the problems posed. One grantee, by deed, conveyed "my undivided one-half interest in Lawnacre" to her friend. That grantee has since died.

In an appropriate action between the friend and the other grantee in which title to Lawnacre is at issue, the other grantee will
A. prevail, because he is the sole owner of Lawnacre.
B. prevail if, but only if, the co-tenancy created in the two grantees was a tenancy by the entirety.
C. not prevail if he had knowledge of the conveyance prior to the grantee's death.
D. not prevail, because the friend and the other grantee own Lawnacre as tenants in common.

Incorrect: Answer choice B is correct. Tenancy by the entirety is a joint tenancy between married persons with a right of survivorship. Because neither party in a tenancy by the entirety can alienate the property without the consent of the other, answer choice B provides the truest statement. Answer choice A is incorrect because even if the two grantees had held the property as a joint tenancy, the second grantee would then own the property with the friend as tenants in common. Answer choice C is incorrect because knowledge of a conveyance is not a requirement in severing a co-tenancy. Answer choice D would be correct if the two grantees had owned Lawnacre as a joint tenancy; however, answer choice B is the better answer.

Can anyone explain to me how this creates a tenancy by the entirety and not a joint tenancy? I do not see any indication that the parties are married.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:32 pm

Just out of curiosity, does anyone feel really lonely? I mean, I'm married (non-law), but I'm so used to being around a lot of people most of the time that this is killing me. I also got off Facebook and Instagram a week ago so now I feel really disconnected. I haven't really heard from anyone, but I assume all my friends know I'm stressed right now. I've been studying 10-ish hour days since a couple weeks ago 7 days a week because I fell behind when my husband and I were trying to find a new apartment, so needless to say, I feel like I have no free time now other than going to the gym or going for a run. This is so lame.
Last edited by as stars burn on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsclaw

New

Post by dsclaw » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:33 pm

as stars burn wrote:
dsclaw wrote:Anyone notice that the schedule has changed. I was only supposed to have 3 things for today but now I have 5. In addition, I was supposed to end on the 26th and now its saying I am supposed to finish on the 29th? It seems Themis is adding more tasks that way I do not get to 75% ? Scam?
That's really weird. I'd contact them and inquire? I'm scheduled to finish on the 27th, but I usually have 5-6 things to do everyday so that's assuming I can stay on track from now until then. I know lots of people that took Themis last summer and this past February for the bar exam, and none of them passed 80% completed. I don't know how far behind they were or whatnot though.
I am at 61% as of now, but a job I took starts Jul 15 which will seriously impair my ability to study so I am trying to beast through it until then.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:39 pm

dsclaw wrote:Spoiler: PROPERTY MBE QUESTION

Lawnacre was conveyed to two grantees by a deed that, in the jurisdiction in which Lawnacre is situated, created a co-tenancy in equal shares and with the right of survivorship. The jurisdiction has no statute directly applicable to any of the problems posed. One grantee, by deed, conveyed "my undivided one-half interest in Lawnacre" to her friend. That grantee has since died.

In an appropriate action between the friend and the other grantee in which title to Lawnacre is at issue, the other grantee will
B. prevail if, but only if, the co-tenancy created in the two grantees was a tenancy by the entirety.
C. not prevail if he had knowledge of the conveyance prior to the grantee's death.
D. not prevail, because the friend and the other grantee own Lawnacre as tenants in common.

Incorrect: Answer choice B is correct. Tenancy by the entirety is a joint tenancy between married persons with a right of survivorship. Because neither party in a tenancy by the entirety can alienate the property without the consent of the other, answer choice B provides the truest statement. Answer choice A is incorrect because even if the two grantees had held the property as a joint tenancy, the second grantee would then own the property with the friend as tenants in common. Answer choice C is incorrect because knowledge of a conveyance is not a requirement in severing a co-tenancy. Answer choice D would be correct if the two grantees had owned Lawnacre as a joint tenancy; however, answer choice B is the better answer.

Can anyone explain to me how this creates a tenancy by the entirety and not a joint tenancy? I do not see any indication that the parties are married.
It is isn't necessary a tenancy be entirety. However, that's the only way that the other grantee can prevail. A joint tenant or co-tenant is freely able to alienate their interest in the tenancy, except in a tenancy by entirety (without permission of the other spouse).

If the grantees were married, and in a tenancy by entirety, the other grantee could prevail, because grantee 1 would not have been able to convey their interest to Friend.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheBeard

Bronze

Post by TheBeard » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:40 pm

It makes absolutely PERFECT sense that I be assigned an NJ CivPro essay before I am assigned the outline or the lectures.

dsclaw

New

Post by dsclaw » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:44 pm

Kretzy wrote:

It is isn't necessary a tenancy be entirety. However, that's the only way that the other grantee can prevail. A joint tenant or co-tenant is freely able to alienate their interest in the tenancy, except in a tenancy by entirety (without permission of the other spouse).

If the grantees were married, and in a tenancy by entirety, the other grantee could prevail, because grantee 1 would not have been able to convey their interest to Friend.
However, the option choice D indicates she wont prevail and gives an answer which also would be correct if it was not a tenancy by the entirety. So the key to the question is finding a tenancy by the entirety. I selected D.

Agoraphobia

Bronze

Post by Agoraphobia » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:47 pm

as stars burn wrote:Just out of curiosity, does anyone feel really lonely? I mean, I'm married (non-law), but I'm so used to being around a lot of people most of the time that this is killing me. I also got off Facebook and Instagram a week ago so now I feel really disconnected. I haven't really heard from anyone, but I assume all my friends know I'm stressed right now. I've been studying 10-ish hour days since a couple weeks ago 7 days a week because I fell behind when my husband and I were trying to find a new apartment, so needless to say, I feel like I have no free time now other than going to the gym or going for a run. This is so lame.
I got off Facebook too, and the one thing I am doing this entire month is going to dinner with my sister. Some days I don't even go outside until evening and going to the grocery store is a huge adventure. Agreed. This is a totally isolating experience. And July hasn't even started.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:48 pm

dsclaw wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

However, the option choice D indicates she wont prevail and gives an answer which also would be correct if it was not a tenancy by the entirety. So the key to the question is finding a tenancy by the entirety. I selected D.
I think that's the reason for the "if but only if" language. D is true if the grantees weren't married. But we don't know whether or not they are, so there are facts that, if true, would allow the other grantee to prevail. So B is a better answer than D, since D says that grantee outright won't prevail when there is a (albeit limited) circumstance in which s/he can.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JD_done

New

Post by JD_done » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:51 pm

as stars burn wrote:Just out of curiosity, does anyone feel really lonely? I mean, I'm married (non-law), but I'm so used to being around a lot of people most of the time that this is killing me. I also got off Facebook and Instagram a week ago so now I feel really disconnected. I haven't really heard from anyone, but I assume all my friends know I'm stressed right now. I've been studying 10-ish hour days since a couple weeks ago 7 days a week because I fell behind when my husband and I were trying to find a new apartment, so needless to say, I feel like I have no free time now other than going to the gym or going for a run. This is so lame.

absolutely! I've been studying at home mostly and started to feel pretty isolated. I am now studying a few days per week with friends at school. Just being in the same room helps even if we are not different subjects and using different bar prep companies. Also went for a quick run this morning and friday and feel like it makes a world of difference for my state of mind. You are not alone- we're all in this together!!

dsclaw

New

Post by dsclaw » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Kretzy wrote:
dsclaw wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

I think that's the reason for the "if but only if" language. D is true if the grantees weren't married. But we don't know whether or not they are, so there are facts that, if true, would allow the other grantee to prevail. So B is a better answer than D, since D says that grantee outright won't prevail when there is a (albeit limited) circumstance in which s/he can.
Thank you for pointing out the, if but only if, language. That does make it a better answer. Wish I had noticed that would have gotten it write. God damn, the property questions take me so long to read that I rush through the shorter ones. I am at 1.9 mins per question.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:58 pm

dsclaw wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
dsclaw wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

Thank you for pointing out the, if but only if, language. That does make it a better answer. Wish I had noticed that would have gotten it write. God damn, the property questions take me so long to read that I rush through the shorter ones. I am at 1.9 mins per question.
I'm with you. I'm soooo bad at property. Couldn't stand it in law school, actually mind it much less now, but I'm spending almost twice as long per question on property than any of Con/Crim/Torts, and still not hitting 2/3 right.

TheBeard

Bronze

Post by TheBeard » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:00 pm

If you don't mind me asking, how much of the course have you completed? I started going 7 days a week, 8-10 hours per day about three weeks ago because I wanted to complete as much as possible before July 1st. Frankly, I now realize that it was a terrible idea. Unless you're really behind (and I mean really behind), you need to set aside time for yourself.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:00 pm

I do. I'm living in a new state, my husband is always working, and I spend all day at home, studying and talking to my dog.

It's temporary, though. You'll feel better soon.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:10 pm

TheBeard wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, how much of the course have you completed? I started going 7 days a week, 8-10 hours per day about three weeks ago because I wanted to complete as much as possible before July 1st. Frankly, I now realize that it was a terrible idea. Unless you're really behind (and I mean really behind), you need to set aside time for yourself.
I'm a work-a-holic. It's how I was in high school, college and law school. I don't know when to slow down sometimes. I'm not that far behind--probably about 3-4 days, but I am still playing catch-up. I'm not even going to be able to take the second Milestone Exam until Wednesday so I can finish Contracts. I'm at 45% right now. I do give myself some breaks, like lunch with my husband outside or going for a run or playing Fat Prince because I'm obsessed with that game. Earlier this month I was still going out with friends on a couple weekends, but that has since stopped for obvious reasons.

Also, thanks for the other responses, guys! It feels good to know I'm not alone :)

Agoraphobia

Bronze

Post by Agoraphobia » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:16 pm

Anyone else unable to get on the site at all today? I've tried three different browsers, and restarting, with no luck.

Edit - NVM. Fixed...

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:25 pm

So there are 9 handout chapters of Federal Civil Procedure (6-14) on the printable handout that don't seem to have corresponding lectures. Anyone else taking Texas know whether this is an intentional omission (or I'm missing something - there's obviously the whole topic of TX Civ Pro, but why would that relieve us of obligation to know federal)? I messaged the Themis bros but they always take a day or two to reply.

Also, put me in the way behind boat. I'm at 29%. EEP!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”