. Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Bustang

Bronze

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Post by Bustang » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:56 pm

JD_done wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:
HETPE3B wrote:Question for the Evidence buffs out there.

Please help me reconcile the following two points:
1. If there is a mistake in the admissibility of evidence, that error will only form the basis for an appeal if (a) a substantial right of a party has been affected; AND (b) the judge was notified of that error at trial.
2. Plain Error Rule: errors that affect substantial rights are grounds for reversal even if no objection or offer of proof was made.

If there's an error affecting substantial rights, do I or don't I need to notify the judge? What's the difference between being grounds for reversal and being basis for appeal and why is there a higher barrier for the latter?
I think you have to notify the judge of any error, affecting substantial rights or not.

If the substantial right has been affected and the judge is notified, it can be appealed, and the court of appeals will be able to review whether it is reversible or not. It's not automatically reversible; it just provides grounds for reversal.

Or something.
Agreed. It's also helpful to go directly to FRE 103 and the committee notes. The way I understand it, 1) substantial right + 2) notifying court preserves it for appeal. The plain error rule allows a court, on appeal, to reverse (especially a criminal conviction) even if the trial court was not notified of the error and they are reviewing the case for another issue. (I looked at federal criminal procedure rule 52 for clarification)
I could be wrong
I like to think of the plain error rule as the fail-safe for appeals courts. The general rule is you need a substantial right affected to make an objection. The objection must be timely and specific. If timely and specific, then preserved for appeal. If counsel fails to do this, the appeals court still has the plain error rule in its pocket if they feel the need to reverse or decide the issue based on the substantial right not properly objected to/failure to provide offer of proof.

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Part of it is that I'm filling out the handout without listening to him.

Agoraphobia

Bronze

Post by Agoraphobia » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:02 pm

Bustang wrote:
JD_done wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:
HETPE3B wrote:Question for the Evidence buffs out there.

Please help me reconcile the following two points:
1. If there is a mistake in the admissibility of evidence, that error will only form the basis for an appeal if (a) a substantial right of a party has been affected; AND (b) the judge was notified of that error at trial.
2. Plain Error Rule: errors that affect substantial rights are grounds for reversal even if no objection or offer of proof was made.

If there's an error affecting substantial rights, do I or don't I need to notify the judge? What's the difference between being grounds for reversal and being basis for appeal and why is there a higher barrier for the latter?
I think you have to notify the judge of any error, affecting substantial rights or not.

If the substantial right has been affected and the judge is notified, it can be appealed, and the court of appeals will be able to review whether it is reversible or not. It's not automatically reversible; it just provides grounds for reversal.

Or something.
Agreed. It's also helpful to go directly to FRE 103 and the committee notes. The way I understand it, 1) substantial right + 2) notifying court preserves it for appeal. The plain error rule allows a court, on appeal, to reverse (especially a criminal conviction) even if the trial court was not notified of the error and they are reviewing the case for another issue. (I looked at federal criminal procedure rule 52 for clarification)
I could be wrong
I like to think of the plain error rule as the fail-safe for appeals courts. The general rule is you need a substantial right affected to make an objection. The objection must be timely and specific. If timely and specific, then preserved for appeal. If counsel fails to do this, the appeals court still has the plain error rule in its pocket if they feel the need to reverse or decide the issue based on the substantial right not properly objected to/failure to provide offer of proof.
This helps, thanks.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:09 am

forza wrote:
jerwood84 wrote:Just got my ass rocked by a crim pro MBE prac Q session 4. This pack of MBE's tested on some exotic law -- 8th Am, ineffective assistance of counsel, crim pro evidence issues, basically all Crim Pro B-sides and rarities (very little 4th and 5th Am stuff). Maybe I'm just tired or something but I hit a 38 percent on this junk while I have been hitting in the 70's on every other section. Anybody else come across this cock sucker of a crim pro MBE session?
I hear you brother man. And interactive mode doesn't help. I get progressively more pissed off with each wrong answer, such that as I approach question 30 or so, I'm ready to chuck my laptop across the fucking room.
I know this is a semi-old post, but I just want you both to know that this little exchange right here made my night. I laughed so damn hard, especially since I feel this way in interactive mode a lot. :lol:

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:39 am

Seriously. Fuck property. I'm somehow back in the 60s on all subjects, but property.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:30 am

Guzman is KILLING me for Contracts & Sales. Every time he prefaces a three-minute example with "this is going to be exactly what you expect," it gives me a sad.

Makes me miss Property Moby.

elysiansmiles

New

Post by elysiansmiles » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:09 am

When I pause a video for a while (like to go to the bathroom or something) when I come back, the video will restart at the beginning without 1.5/2x capability. It all goes back to normal if I refresh and jump ahead to where I was, but its a mild annoyance. I feel like its almost intentional, like I'm being punished if I can't watch a video the whole way though.

geekrocker37

Bronze

Post by geekrocker37 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:44 am

Milestone 2 just destroyed me. Fuck :(

HETPE3B

Bronze

Post by HETPE3B » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:45 am

How I felt while taking the milestone exam this morning:

ETA: but miraculously pulled off a 43/50. Really not feeling like reviewing this thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dsclaw

New

Post by dsclaw » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 am

What time do you guys start that you finished the Milestone exam already, damn, must be nice to be basically done for the day. I just got up and am about to start it, might look over criminal stuff a little more

HETPE3B

Bronze

Post by HETPE3B » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:05 am

dsclaw wrote:What time do you guys start that you finished the Milestone exam already, damn, must be nice to be basically done for the day. I just got up and am about to start it, might look over criminal stuff a little more
It's only a 90-minute deal. Not a simulated morning session or anything. I started around 8:30.

lsatlsat

New

Post by lsatlsat » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:38 am

elysiansmiles wrote:When I pause a video for a while (like to go to the bathroom or something) when I come back, the video will restart at the beginning without 1.5/2x capability. It all goes back to normal if I refresh and jump ahead to where I was, but its a mild annoyance. I feel like its almost intentional, like I'm being punished if I can't watch a video the whole way though.
You should send an e-mail to info@themisbar.com. I've complained and so have a few classmates of mine. They say "it's fine on their end" and to clear my browser's cache (which I've done) or switch to Chrome (which I'm already using). Hopefully if more people say something they'll actually address it, or at least take ownership over their techno-challenged interface.

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:00 am

I'm really having a hard time remembering the Pennsylvania differences for things. I guess I haven't really reviewed any of it yet, but it makes me nervous. I'm not sure what to do. Blah.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GertrudePerkins

Bronze

Post by GertrudePerkins » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:38 am

Does anyone feel like the questions on the Milestone Exams feel a little easier than the MBE PQ sessions? Not that the material is any different or easier, just like there's less ambiguity in the questions and/or answer choices.

Or maybe it's all in my head. Perhaps the product of being more focused on the Milestone Exams.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:43 am

GertrudePerkins wrote:Does anyone feel like the questions on the Milestone Exams feel a little easier than the MBE PQ sessions? Not that the material is any different or easier, just like there's less ambiguity in the questions and/or answer choices.

Or maybe it's all in my head. Perhaps the product of being more focused on the Milestone Exams.
Yeah, I thought Milestone 1 was slightly easier than the MBE PQs. Nothing substantial, but a couple fewer ambiguities. I thought there were fewer "I have no idea what I'm doing" questions, and more where I could narrow it to 2 and pick, even if I wound up with the wrong answer.

But it might've been focus, and might have been not doing it on interactive mode and having that fuck with my sense of when things are going well/poorly.

balzie94

New

Post by balzie94 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:52 am

I felt that the Milestone was easier with regard to Contracts and Crim, and harder with respect to Evidence and Crim Pro. Like, it asked a lot of easier Contracts and Crim Law questions, but the Evidence and Crim Pro were much harder than they could have been.

Agoraphobia

Bronze

Post by Agoraphobia » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:03 pm

Can we take the Milestone late? Can't find the email where she said this. I'm thinking Yes?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:20 pm

Agoraphobia wrote:Can we take the Milestone late? Can't find the email where she said this. I'm thinking Yes?
Yes. You can take it anytime, you just have to switch to Flex Study and choose "Milestone Exams." They recommend not taking it until you've had all the criminal and evidence lectures.

TheBeard

Bronze

Post by TheBeard » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:30 pm

I found myself guessing a lot more on Milestone Exam 2. Evidence is going to be the death of me.

TheBeard

Bronze

Post by TheBeard » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:35 pm

Kretzy wrote:
GertrudePerkins wrote:Does anyone feel like the questions on the Milestone Exams feel a little easier than the MBE PQ sessions? Not that the material is any different or easier, just like there's less ambiguity in the questions and/or answer choices.

Yeah, I thought Milestone 1 was slightly easier than the MBE PQs. Nothing substantial, but a couple fewer ambiguities. I thought there were fewer "I have no idea what I'm doing" questions, and more where I could narrow it to 2 and pick, even if I wound up with the wrong answer.

But it might've been focus, and might have been not doing it on interactive mode and having that fuck with my sense of when things are going well/poorly.
I stopped doing MBE PQs on interactive mode and my scores went up substantially. I think I carried the frustration of an incorrect answer to the next question.

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:13 pm

TheBeard wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:
I am taking PA. I have no idea what we need to get on essays. I know the PT counts for 1.5x the points as one essay answer, so doing well on that will help, but as far as how much we need to get right on the essays to pass combined with MBE? No idea. I do know from previous bar exams that MBE is more important than essays.... I just don't know why, because I am very shitty at understanding that kind of math. Scaling and scoring and whatnot.

I bet you could ask Kevin Frost.
Yeah, I'm going to email him. I don't think the MBE can be more important since PA weighs the essays and MBEs at 55% and 45% respectively.
Did you ever contact Kevin Frost about this, by any chance?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:59 pm

TheBeard wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

I stopped doing MBE PQs on interactive mode and my scores went up substantially. I think I carried the frustration of an incorrect answer to the next question.
I need to start doing this. Interactive mode makes me want to punch someone in the face with each wrong answer--it definitely changes my thinking throughout the rest of the set.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:00 pm

Dumbest question in thread: Where do we get the extra MBE question sets? It seems like if you go to to the MBE questions in flex study each topic has about 5 sets of questions which = 170 questions per topic. Themis said there were over 10,000 so that just doesn't add up. I have no use in practicing Crim or Evidence but I need all the hep I can get with Torts and Con Law and I am done with all 5 sets available to me in flex study. Am I just not seeing it?

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:01 pm

kalvano wrote:
Agoraphobia wrote:Can we take the Milestone late? Can't find the email where she said this. I'm thinking Yes?
Yes. You can take it anytime, you just have to switch to Flex Study and choose "Milestone Exams." They recommend not taking it until you've had all the criminal and evidence lectures.
I second that. I probably won't take Milestone 2 until Wednesday. I'm desperately trying to finish the Contracts material and at least 2 MBE practice sets for Contracts before doing the Milestone.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:17 pm

Would anyone mind sending me their Crim Pro Handout (Karlan) with the answers filled in? I went to go open my PDF today and noticed that none of my answers saved from when I ran through the lectures. So lame.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”