. Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
antonious13

New

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Post by antonious13 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:59 pm

I'm really liking Birdthistle. He's making Business Associations not suck as much. The only bad part is that the lectures are longer than most.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:43 pm

So I've been dealing with property Moby yesterday and today. These lectures could be about 1/3 the time they actually are.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Anyone have a copy of the completed torts handout? Mine's gone tits up. :evil:

HETPE3B

Bronze

Post by HETPE3B » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:06 pm

locusdelicti wrote: I'm not talking about creative writing. I'm talking about structure - application of IRAC or whatever. You can look at a sample essay and think, yeah, cool, but another person reading it will be better able to tell you whether you're doing it right or not. It's whether someone else thinks you followed the structure, not whether you think you did. And the structure matters - they're more likely to award points if they can follow your logic.
I think IRAC/TRAC is just something Themis is teaching us to consistently approach any question. I still think that as long as we hit what's on the checklist (in any manner), we're good to go.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:08 pm

Bikeflip wrote:Anyone have a copy of the completed torts handout? Mine's gone tits up. :evil:
There were two torts profs, which one did you have.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:Anyone have a copy of the completed torts handout? Mine's gone tits up. :evil:
There were two torts profs, which one did you have.
Gifford. The lovable professor with diabetus who likes making sports examples.

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:23 pm

HETPE3B wrote:
locusdelicti wrote: I'm not talking about creative writing. I'm talking about structure - application of IRAC or whatever. You can look at a sample essay and think, yeah, cool, but another person reading it will be better able to tell you whether you're doing it right or not. It's whether someone else thinks you followed the structure, not whether you think you did. And the structure matters - they're more likely to award points if they can follow your logic.
I think IRAC/TRAC is just something Themis is teaching us to consistently approach any question. I still think that as long as we hit what's on the checklist (in any manner), we're good to go.
I don't agree. The bar examiners have consistently stated that well organized responses get more points than disorganized responses. Either way, I still think it's beneficial for most people to have a person acquainted with the system look over the answer and give feedback.

I say this having taken bar exams before... and, as an attorney, I've just learned over the years that a second eye can only help. It may be that this system isn't helping you, but I know that when I took my first bar, I had a course similar to this where someone graded my essays and gave feedback, and I passed. When I took the second one and didn't have any external help, just a bunch of old books and myself, I failed.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:40 pm

Having a better percentage of property MBE questions correct than torts MBE questions correct makes me feel smart and like a dumbass at the same time.

HETPE3B

Bronze

Post by HETPE3B » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Contracts MBE Outline, page 32, shaded box. Anyone else finding this eerie?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:17 pm

HETPE3B wrote:Contracts MBE Outline, page 32, shaded box. Anyone else finding this eerie?
WHUT

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:30 pm

HETPE3B wrote:Contracts MBE Outline, page 32, shaded box. Anyone else finding this eerie?

mjj

New

Post by mjj » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:10 pm

Hey has anyone been studying on a mobile device or tablet? Does it work okay? I might lose access to my computer for a few days (I'm worried something is wrong with it and want to get it checked out with a lot of lead time) and I'm curious how much shifting to iPad is going to interrupt my schedule. I find the iOS app to be a little suboptimal but I've never tried working directly from the Themis site on my iPad.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:26 pm

mjj wrote:Hey has anyone been studying on a mobile device or tablet? Does it work okay? I might lose access to my computer for a few days (I'm worried something is wrong with it and want to get it checked out with a lot of lead time) and I'm curious how much shifting to iPad is going to interrupt my schedule. I find the iOS app to be a little suboptimal but I've never tried working directly from the Themis site on my iPad.

You'd have to download the Themis app and say goodbye to 2X or 1.5X. Also, good luck trying to multi-task doing the handouts and typing notes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:28 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
mjj wrote:Hey has anyone been studying on a mobile device or tablet? Does it work okay? I might lose access to my computer for a few days (I'm worried something is wrong with it and want to get it checked out with a lot of lead time) and I'm curious how much shifting to iPad is going to interrupt my schedule. I find the iOS app to be a little suboptimal but I've never tried working directly from the Themis site on my iPad.

You'd have to download the Themis app and say goodbye to 2X or 1.5X. Also, good luck trying to multi-task doing the handouts and typing notes.
If you have android, an app called dice player will do 2x.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

If you have android, an app called dice player will do 2x.
Damn it, Apple... I guess there is an iPad app, too: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speedup ... 86953?mt=8

mjj

New

Post by mjj » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:37 pm

Bikeflip wrote:

I'm old-school but I actually print the handouts out and do them by hand. Writing / highlight / scribbling all over something helps me cement it into my head.

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:47 pm

mjj wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

I'm old-school but I actually print the handouts out and do them by hand. Writing / highlight / scribbling all over something helps me cement it into my head.
I print mine out too and write them by hand. Helps me remember.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:11 pm

So do we get dinged or anything if we have no idea how to approach a practice essay question and just submit a blank answer to see the model answer?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:12 pm

kalvano wrote:So do we get dinged or anything if we have no idea how to approach a practice essay question and just submit a blank answer to see the model answer?
Dinged from what? They money back? Maybe.

I think form now on I'll try to BS it. It's a skill we gotta know for the bar, since I'm guess we'll get at least one we have no idea about.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
kalvano wrote:So do we get dinged or anything if we have no idea how to approach a practice essay question and just submit a blank answer to see the model answer?

I think form now on I'll try to BS it. It's a skill we gotta know for the bar, since I'm guess we'll get at least one we have no idea about.
I'm totally and completely baffled by Commercial Paper, so I just sent it in blank to see what a model answer should look like and how to approach it. I'll try the other practice questions for real.

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:23 pm

kalvano wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I'm totally and completely baffled by Commercial Paper, so I just sent it in blank to see what a model answer should look like and how to approach it. I'll try the other practice questions for real.
Commercial Paper sucks. I'm glad they don't test it in PA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:24 pm

kalvano wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I think there's no ding. From the intro lectures, I recall them saying that it doesn't matter if you submit one answer or 34 for the MBE questions. You can still get it marked as complete. I think the same would hold for the MEE prompts.

I've "submitted" a few blank because Themis ate a few of my essays. I've refeshed the model answer page, and that refresh deleted my answer and didn't give me credit for completing the essay. I then restarted the essay and wrote a passive aggressive essay saying "FIX YOUR SOFTWARE! I ALREADY SUBMITTED! THIS IS THE 3rd TIME THIS HICCUP HAS HAPPENED!"

Themis and my old as balls laptop don't get along.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:47 pm

Yeah one of my essays disappeared today and I just wrote "already submitted this once."

75% here I come.

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:51 pm

If this makes you feel any better - I haven't typed out a single answer besides the graded one. I much prefer to hand write a detailed outline as to how I would answer the question.

Edit - hit 25% today. I have a general gist of everything, I think.

antonious13

New

Post by antonious13 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:08 pm

I've been able to run the videos and assessments directly from the website on my Tab 2.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”