PSA: your bar review courses are trying to freak you out

Bikeflip

Re: PSA: your bar review courses are trying to freak you out

Postby Bikeflip » Thu May 23, 2013 12:33 am

thesealocust wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:Ugh. Last time into the lawl skool stress pit.

Don't worry. Practice isn't stressful at all.

Ha! At least it has a paycheck.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Thu May 23, 2013 1:45 am

The first thing you should understand is that if you went to law school, you're likely the kind of box-checking follow-the-path-of-least-resistance worked-hard-and-did-well-in-school kind of person. In short, you're a little neurotic.

The second thing to understand is that law school likely made it worse. You spent 3 years studying situations where attention to seemingly unimportant details made all the difference. Certainty was difficult to come by, so much so that you essentially got a degree in doubt. As a hard working neurotic, this didn't help your sanity.

The last and most important thing to understand is that it's very unlikely you'll "fail," the bar exam or anything else. Take the worst case senario. You owe $200k in loans, you somehow manage to fail the bar twice and your offer is rescinded. Here's what happens. You find any job, legal or otherwise and start making money. Your loan payments are indexed to your salary. If you don't make over approximately $22k your loan payment is essentially nothing. If you make more, you end up forking over 10% of any amount over 22k for 20 years (after which the balance is forgiven). Annoying? Sure. Life ending? Nope. That's about as bad as it gets. Note that you probably fixated on the word "about" in the preceding sentence and remind yourself to stop it (and get a Stat book to figure out how to deal with risk while you're at it).

If the worst case amounts to a mildly annoying income tax that only comes if you fail an eminently passable test twice (after succeeding on the LSAT and law school exams), what, exactly, are you so worried about? You'll have a nice time if you pass (which is highly probable) and merely a mildly annoying time if you don't (which is highly improbable). Allowing yourself to be overcome with fear only makes success less probable (and let's be clear, it doesn't even move the needle much). Worse, it makes your life less enjoyable. And that's the real cost here.

You're going to be fine. If you can get your head together, you might even enjoy the ride.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu May 23, 2013 10:47 am

Top third of your class, you will pass almost no matter what you do. Middle third, you will probably pass no matter what you do but you might stew a bit if you are taking California or one of the two or three other infamous state bars. Bottom third you need to put your back into it but if you keep after it, you will eventually pass. Bar review course providers profit mightily from the terrors of new law school grads but the bar exam itself is not as hard as your law school exams were; it's just the "all at once" that daunts.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu May 23, 2013 4:37 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Top third of your class, you will pass almost no matter what you do. Middle third, you will probably pass no matter what you do but you might stew a bit if you are taking California or one of the two or three other infamous state bars. Bottom third you need to put your back into it but if you keep after it, you will eventually pass. Bar review course providers profit mightily from the terrors of new law school grads but the bar exam itself is not as hard as your law school exams were; it's just the "all at once" that daunts.

Depends on the school. Lots of top schools boast 98%+ bar passage rates in popular jurisdictions (like NY).

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Thu May 23, 2013 5:05 pm

thesealocust wrote:
BeautifulSW wrote:Top third of your class, you will pass almost no matter what you do. Middle third, you will probably pass no matter what you do but you might stew a bit if you are taking California or one of the two or three other infamous state bars. Bottom third you need to put your back into it but if you keep after it, you will eventually pass. Bar review course providers profit mightily from the terrors of new law school grads but the bar exam itself is not as hard as your law school exams were; it's just the "all at once" that daunts.

Depends on the school. Lots of top schools boast 98%+ bar passage rates in popular jurisdictions (like NY).

My guess is they've determined they get more net passes by scaring the less committed students, even if it makes the neurotics uncomfortable.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu May 23, 2013 6:02 pm

Yes, they do. I was speaking of the run-of-the-mill law school but there are a few extremes on both ends.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu May 23, 2013 6:17 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Yes, they do. I was speaking of the run-of-the-mill law school but there are a few extremes on both ends.

Take that proley line of thinking to to run-of-the-mill-law-schools.com.

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 23, 2013 6:29 pm

Got a 76% on Con Law practice MBE questions, I assume this means I no longer have to prep for the bar.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat May 25, 2013 10:29 am

but what will I do with my time if not freak out about something, I didn't get this JD to relax and listen to reason

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Sat May 25, 2013 1:24 pm

You're a dick and I hate you

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:31 pm

tag for later reminder to chill the f out upon inevitable pre-bar exam freak out.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:25 am

After taking the bar, I 100% thought I failed b/c I focused on every essay and question I knew I missed.

Three months later, I get my score and it turns out I could've left 4 essays blank and still passed.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:26 am

holdencaulfield wrote:After taking the bar, I 100% thought I failed b/c I focused on every essay and question I knew I missed.

Three months later, I get my score and it turns out I could've left 4 essays blank and still passed.

So chin up.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:44 am

holdencaulfield wrote:After taking the bar, I 100% thought I failed b/c I focused on every essay and question I knew I missed.

NY?

Edit nvm I see u took TX

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:11 pm

It seems that some Barbri students from TTT are assigned extra practice essays. I looked at handouts for my account to get my "simulated essay exam" and saw only 1 option for me. But for those taking the prep course at a TTT school location, they have like 4.

Silverback

Postby Silverback » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:58 pm

thesealocust wrote:2% of your class is going to be unlucky, ill, injured, pregnant, suffer a death in the family, etc. It's a minimum competency test designed to (a) be very hard and (b) require a very low score to pass.

If shit happens, retaking is not a big deal. There's either no stigma, or only a vastly over-stated stigma that exists primarily in the minds of law students nervous they'll fail the bar and be excommunicated.

I think this is really true. I believe that law schools tend to instill in students the fear of not passing because they are worried about their bar passage rate. After having some real life legal experience, I was surprised to hear paralegals tell me that they have worked for attorneys who did not pass on their first try. I was really surprised to hear this, especially since the paralegals didn't seem to think anything less of an attorney who does not pass on the first go.

Still, all the scare tactics and deflated scores during bar prep are disheartening when you are taking it all very seriously.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:07 pm

I think I'd respect someone who failed once, since egregious bar gunning is a sign of insecurity.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:09 pm

desertlaw wrote:It seems that some Barbri students from TTT are assigned extra practice essays. I looked at handouts for my account to get my "simulated essay exam" and saw only 1 option for me. But for those taking the prep course at a TTT school location, they have like 4.

This is THE BEST!!! HA

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:51 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:53 pm

rad lulz wrote:
BCLS wrote:
desertlaw wrote:It seems that some Barbri students from TTT are assigned extra practice essays. I looked at handouts for my account to get my "simulated essay exam" and saw only 1 option for me. But for those taking the prep course at a TTT school location, they have like 4.

This is THE BEST!!! HA

One of the local schools here has a mandatory class on how to write state bar essays required to graduate

Frankly I'd rather have taken that than some of the garbage I took 3L year

Then again from an out of state school I understand why that's not feasible

I'd be pretty happy if my school let us take Barbri/dat themis during 3L spring pass fail.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:58 pm

rad lulz wrote:
BCLS wrote:

This is THE BEST!!! HA

One of the local schools here has a mandatory class on how to write state bar essays required to graduate

I actually would rather have some extra essays. I still find this funny though.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
BCLS wrote:

This is THE BEST!!! HA

I'd be pretty happy if my school let us take Barbri/dat themis during 3L spring pass fail.

Yeah that'd be awesome

I'd sign up in a hearbeat

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:46 pm

We get about 30 graded essays, 4 of which we have a personal tutor meeting to discuss. Even with this extra work, my TTT only had 60% pass this last Feb.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:25 pm

shepdawg wrote:

We get about 30 graded essays, 4 of which we have a personal tutor meeting to discuss. Even with this extra work, my TTT only had 60% pass this last Feb.

You have to be kidding me. I can't believe they don't offer this to everyone.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:47 pm

BCLS wrote:
shepdawg wrote:

You have to be kidding me. I can't believe they don't offer this to everyone.
I went to the same school as desertlaw, and my program only has me turning in four. (I'm two hours away from going 0/3 on turning them in.) I'm pretty glad they're not having me waste my time writing essays every day. I need to learn the law, not how to write in IRAC form.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”