PSA: your bar review courses are trying to freak you out Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
tarheel87

Bronze

Re: PSA: your bar review courses are trying to freak you out

Post by tarheel87 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:40 pm

After pulling a woeful 55% on the Kaplan midterm, I really, really needed to see this thread. Thanks, all.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:42 pm

tarheel87 wrote:After pulling a woeful 55% on the Kaplan midterm, I really, really needed to see this thread. Thanks, all.
MBE midterm?

For barbri, average on out MBE midterm was 110/200

So you might be just average

If you improve but continue to be average on test day then you will pass

blong4133

Bronze

Post by blong4133 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:35 pm

Yeah I never understood the whole mindset that Online isn't as good. I'm doing online and I would much rather do it this way. I can sit in my office by myself, watch the lecture, pause it if I need more time to take down a note, or to go get another cup of coffee or use the bathroom.

I just don't see how this is worse than going to a room and watching the same thing with a hundred other kids and not being able to pause if you need to.

I understand they think that it serves as an accountability issue, but at the end of the day, if you can't motivate yourself to study for this while watching the lectures at home, it's not going to really do much more if you go to a designated location to watch the same video with 100 other kids. It's not like they check to make sure you're doing the work. I had so many people tell me that I should do the on site class because my chance of passing was better if I did so. Well, I live an hour and a half away from the nearest on site location, and I'd much rather live at home for free than have to blow more money that I don't have on rent so i can watch a video.

Granted, I'm taking the WV bar next month and I'm freaking out about it, I just couldn't imagine getting any more from the course if I had to go to a to a big classroom to watch the same exact thing. If I lived near a location, I'd probably do it. But I'm not going to go out of my way to take the actual on site class just because they think that I won't study as hard. I could fail the thing miserably, but it won't be because I decided to take the class online. That's for sure. (But I'm hoping and praying that won't be an issue).

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:53 pm

blong4133 wrote:Yeah I never understood the whole mindset that Online isn't as good. I'm doing online and I would much rather do it this way. I can sit in my office by myself, watch the lecture, pause it if I need more time to take down a note, or to go get another cup of coffee or use the bathroom.

I just don't see how this is worse than going to a room and watching the same thing with a hundred other kids and not being able to pause if you need to.

I understand they think that it serves as an accountability issue, but at the end of the day, if you can't motivate yourself to study for this while watching the lectures at home, it's not going to really do much more if you go to a designated location to watch the same video with 100 other kids. It's not like they check to make sure you're doing the work. I had so many people tell me that I should do the on site class because my chance of passing was better if I did so. Well, I live an hour and a half away from the nearest on site location, and I'd much rather live at home for free than have to blow more money that I don't have on rent so i can watch a video.

Granted, I'm taking the WV bar next month and I'm freaking out about it, I just couldn't imagine getting any more from the course if I had to go to a to a big classroom to watch the same exact thing. If I lived near a location, I'd probably do it. But I'm not going to go out of my way to take the actual on site class just because they think that I won't study as hard. I could fail the thing miserably, but it won't be because I decided to take the class online. That's for sure. (But I'm hoping and praying that won't be an issue).
Yea I don't buy it either.

But I kinda wish I followed Thesealocusts advice and just gotten bar outlines. These videos kinda suck.

blong4133

Bronze

Post by blong4133 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
blong4133 wrote:Yeah I never understood the whole mindset that Online isn't as good. I'm doing online and I would much rather do it this way. I can sit in my office by myself, watch the lecture, pause it if I need more time to take down a note, or to go get another cup of coffee or use the bathroom.

Yea I don't buy it either.

But I kinda wish I followed Thesealocusts advice and just gotten bar outlines. These videos kinda suck.
Yeah, I don't think they're all that great either. I suppose they serve their purpose of laying out the issues that are most likely to be tested, but I wonder if the time I spend watching the things could be better spent doing something else (I think I have a good handle on torts, but just pulled an 8 out of 18 on one of the property sets...so maybe I should have skipped the torts stuff to work on property). But I know that if I don't watch them and end up failing, I'm going to be blaming it on my decision to skip the lectures.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:04 pm

OK, I didn't do so well on my last graded essay and am starting to freak out a little.

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:14 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:OK, I didn't do so well on my last graded essay and am starting to freak out a little.
Chill, padawan. You could literally turn in the model answer from the back of the book, and they would find some reason to mark it down. You'll be fine.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:33 pm

presh wrote:
neimanmarxist wrote:OK, I didn't do so well on my last graded essay and am starting to freak out a little.
Chill, padawan. You could literally turn in the model answer from the back of the book, and they would find some reason to mark it down. You'll be fine.
+1

For the last essay, I pretty much wrote what the answer key had (read: I reworded the answer key). They still managed to ding me with a 18/25 (which is barely passing in TX).

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:55 pm

fanks guys :) we still have six weeks, too :) I can learn so much law in six weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:07 pm

Somebody tell me that the number of non-graded essays they assign is excessive, please.

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:08 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Somebody tell me that the number of non-graded essays they assign is excessive, please.
Yes, I only outlined those. I think I didn't even do that for all of them.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:12 pm

presh wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Somebody tell me that the number of non-graded essays they assign is excessive, please.
Yes, I only outlined those. I think I didn't even do that for all of them.
Right, even to just outline and then review the model answer, it seems like too many to be feasible.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Fri May 30, 2014 11:09 pm

Bumping this important thread for this year's takers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri May 30, 2014 11:38 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Bumping this important thread for this year's takers.
Tyft. Oughta be a sticky.

duskfall

New

Post by duskfall » Sat May 31, 2014 5:13 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Bronte wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I assumed the "YOU WILL BE DOOMED IF YOU TAKE THE ONLINE COURSE" disclaimer falls into this category as well?
I'm sure watching it by yourself will ruin your chances compared to watching it on a TV/VCR in a room like you watching Reading Rainbow in third grade. Clearly the later is superior.
Holy crap dude i loved reading rainbow!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sat May 31, 2014 12:42 pm

Adding this thread to my favorites. Going to reread every few days. Seriously.

plath

New

Post by plath » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:47 am

thesealocust wrote:
shepdawg wrote:I was pissed when I kept getting 60 and 65's on my BarBri grades essays until someone told me that probably translates into 70 on the real exam. Is this true?
It's probably not that formulaic, but yes, BarBRI tries to make everyone think they're on the verge of failure (even though most non-shitacular law schools boast very high bar passage rates; never just look at statewide - those are deflated by foreign attorneys, people who went to Cooley, etc)
Not as reassuring for those of us who happen to be foreign attorneys :|
But hey, 40% passage isn't all that bad is it :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

duskfall

New

Post by duskfall » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:16 pm

to everyone freakingout: don't sweat it too much! those who are taking barbri or kaplan, I know they intentionally make the questions a lot harder to freak you out. However, this is necessary to create a sense of urgency. I've taken two bars so far, one being California, and the actual MBE questions are no where near the same difficulty. On the practice questions sets (100) i would finish with little or no time left. However, on the actual exam, I had a comfortable 30-45 minutes.

Rest assured, the questions right now are hard, but it is intended to prepare you for the real deal, which should be easier.

Anyone have questions feel free to message or ask

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:28 pm

Yeah, I just got a below passing grade on the first "practice essay" question, and I didn't think there was a lot wrong with it. Very much freaking out atm.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:09 pm

Hannibal wrote:Yeah, I just got a below passing grade on the first "practice essay" question, and I didn't think there was a lot wrong with it. Very much freaking out atm.
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=209836

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:29 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Yeah, I just got a below passing grade on the first "practice essay" question, and I didn't think there was a lot wrong with it. Very much freaking out atm.
:lol:

I haven't had the energy to do a practice essay yet. Maybe this week.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

amk110

New

Post by amk110 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:04 pm

While I generally agree with the sentiment that failing the bar exam is not the end of the world...

They're adding Civil Procedure to the MBE starting in February 2015.

Which will only make the exam more difficult for first time takers, and I imagine considerably more difficult for any of us who don't pass this summer.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:15 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Thanks, TSL.
I'm trying to remind myself of this, but wow. Just wow.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:26 pm

JenDarby wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Same here. It seems like they assign a new essay almost every day, and I have yet to hit a single one. I keep telling myself I'll circle back around to them in July.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:18 pm

beachbum wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Same here. It seems like they assign a new essay almost every day, and I have yet to hit a single one. I keep telling myself I'll circle back around to them in July.
Are you doing Barbri, Kaplan, or Themis? If Barbri, are you guys getting full essays? My course has only had us write 3-4 essays out and do outlines on all of the other ones.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”