NY Bar Exam Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
sd5289

Gold

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Post by sd5289 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:34 pm

For those in the 2d department, how long from the time you submitted to when you were notified? I just dropped mine off this week.

cocoabean250

New

Post by cocoabean250 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:21 pm

sd5289 wrote:For those in the 2d department, how long from the time you submitted to when you were notified? I just dropped mine off this week.
Submitted week of Thanksgiving, notified last Friday, interview today.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:33 pm

Thanks!

koolfrog11

New

Post by koolfrog11 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:12 am

Quick question / advice from 1st Department people. I was in school in NY and got admitted to the First Department then got a job out of state. Updated the 1st Department with my new address and just mailed my application packet last week. What is the best thing for me to do so I only have to take one trip up to NY? Should I try and move departments? Will they give deference to the fact I'm OOS and give an interview close to the swearing in? And after doing research it looks like the answer is no, but do they offer phone interviews? Also, what's the deal with this orientation thing?
Last edited by koolfrog11 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JD4Me

New

Post by JD4Me » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:03 am

cocoabean250 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:For those in the 2d department, how long from the time you submitted to when you were notified? I just dropped mine off this week.
Thank you for this information. Did they give you any notice that they have received your application before you were notified about your interview?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cocoabean250

New

Post by cocoabean250 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:49 am

JD4Me wrote:
cocoabean250 wrote:
Thank you for this information. Did they give you any notice that they have received your application before you were notified about your interview?
Nope, none at all, just the call from the person doing my interview about scheduling one.

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:59 pm

1st Dept here. Have interview, orientation, and oath ceremony scheduled for early March.

What on earth is the orientation?? Is that new?

nyny

Bronze

Post by nyny » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:15 pm

zor wrote:1st Dept here. Have interview, orientation, and oath ceremony scheduled for early March.

I know right, what is it exactly? Probably some scare tactic BS, about reporting stuff to the bar, etc... I have my interview and orientation next week, then oath in two weeks with the 1st dept.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:57 pm

zor wrote:1st Dept here. Have interview, orientation, and oath ceremony scheduled for early March.

It's now new, been around a long time. You sit in a room for 2 hours and listen to a panel of attorneys speak about alcoholism, professionalism, etc. and you get 1 ethics credit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bmonroe

New

Post by bmonroe » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:18 pm

Is there anyone from the 3rd department attending the New York practice boot camp for non-resident attorneys? on the 20th? It's worth 6CLE's.

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:36 pm

Third Dept just sent me a reminder email that my $375 payment hasn't been made yet. I got confirmation for a Jan 20th interview 8 days ago, they need to calm the fuck down...

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:13 pm

misterjames wrote:Third Dept just sent me a reminder email that my $375 payment hasn't been made yet. I got confirmation for a Jan 20th interview 8 days ago, they need to calm the fuck down...
To be fair I would have forgotten to send the check without that email

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:52 pm

misterjames wrote:Third Dept just sent me a reminder email that my $375 payment hasn't been made yet. I got confirmation for a Jan 20th interview 8 days ago, they need to calm the fuck down...
In 2016 NY is reducing/removing the in person requirement for newly admitted attorneys (check the website, I can't remember the details) so it should get substantially easier for non-residents (and residents) to manage their CLE requirements.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:32 pm

JenDarby wrote:
In 2016 NY is reducing/removing the in person requirement for newly admitted attorneys (check the website, I can't remember the details) so it should get substantially easier for non-residents (and residents) to manage their CLE requirements.
huh? I think we're talking about two different things...

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:36 pm

I meant to quote the post above yours:
bmonroe wrote:Is there anyone from the 3rd department attending the New York practice boot camp for non-resident attorneys? on the 20th? It's worth 6CLE's.

bmonroe

New

Post by bmonroe » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:46 pm

JenDarby wrote:I meant to quote the post above yours:
bmonroe wrote:Is there anyone from the 3rd department attending the New York practice boot camp for non-resident attorneys? on the 20th? It's worth 6CLE's.
No. I know exactly what I'm talking about. I received a letter from the 3rd department inviting me to a CLE workshop and cocktail hour for those who will be admitted on the 21st. That is why I asked if anyone else would be attending.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:10 pm

bmonroe wrote:
JenDarby wrote:I meant to quote the post above yours:
No. I know exactly what I'm talking about. I received a letter from the 3rd department inviting me to a CLE workshop and cocktail hour for those who will be admitted on the 21st. That is why I asked if anyone else would be attending.
Wow. I am simply saying that people should check the new rules before wasting a day doing a 6 credit CLE. By all means though, enjoy your day of CLE.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

trustmouse83

Bronze

Post by trustmouse83 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:14 pm

Can anyone tell me definitively if a foregin educated candidate (me) who has previously sat and failed the NY Bar exam will be eligible to sit the UBE from July onwards?

akarenina

New

Post by akarenina » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:46 am

Anyone else submit to 2nd dept. in December and haven't heard anything from them?

sharklet

New

Post by sharklet » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:43 am

Does anyone know approximately how long the Jan 21 swearing-in ceremony in Albany will last? Safe to buy a 3:10 pm train ticket if the ceremony starts at noon?

Andrews989

New

Post by Andrews989 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:03 pm

Where does it say we are required to submit a letter of reference from our current employer? I can't seem to find the instructions on this. Anyone know where it's located?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:11 pm

Andrews989 wrote:Where does it say we are required to submit a letter of reference from our current employer? I can't seem to find the instructions on this. Anyone know where it's located?
All legal employers need to fill out the below affidavit:

http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/ad4/cler ... oyment.pdf

Andrews989

New

Post by Andrews989 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:47 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Andrews989 wrote:Where does it say we are required to submit a letter of reference from our current employer? I can't seem to find the instructions on this. Anyone know where it's located?

I am at a non legal employer and was told I an missing my current employer reference letter

purpleparrot

New

Post by purpleparrot » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:48 pm

sharklet wrote:Does anyone know approximately how long the Jan 21 swearing-in ceremony in Albany will last? Safe to buy a 3:10 pm train ticket if the ceremony starts at noon?
I called, it's an hour.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:54 pm

Andrews989 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

I am at a non legal employer and was told I an missing my current employer reference letter
Have you had ANY law related employment for which you submitted an affidavit? I would recommend calling for specific department and explaining the situation, the first department was always very helpful.

Reading question 15 on the application would lead me to believe that you only need to submit a letter from your current non legal employer (on their letterhead rather than the law related employment affidavit) if you had NO other law related work with affidavits. If that IS the case, then submit the letter described in the grey box on question 15. If that is not then case, then I would suggest calling and explaining that your current employer is not legal employment.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”