NY Bar Exam Application

Cscottrun
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 10:01 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Cscottrun » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:54 am

Does anyone know if/what you are supposed to bring with you to the character and fitness interview? I submitted the application with the 2nd department, and I'm assuming that's everything they need?

misterjames
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:20 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby misterjames » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:57 pm

Cscottrun wrote:Does anyone know if/what you are supposed to bring with you to the character and fitness interview? I submitted the application with the 2nd department, and I'm assuming that's everything they need?


you can probably give them a call and ask, but I'd be surprised if they say you need anything other than yourself

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13324
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby JenDarby » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:02 pm

misterjames wrote:
Cscottrun wrote:Does anyone know if/what you are supposed to bring with you to the character and fitness interview? I submitted the application with the 2nd department, and I'm assuming that's everything they need?


you can probably give them a call and ask, but I'd be surprised if they say you need anything other than yourself

Bring yourself and a photo ID. They checked the passports of every non us citizen in the first department.

Cscottrun
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 10:01 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Cscottrun » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:42 am

FYI first day of swearing in for the 2nd department is Dec. 1 (unless there was one this month that I'm unaware of).

advocate74
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:38 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby advocate74 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:07 pm

I am attending December 1st' swearing in ceremony. CANT WAIT!!!!! BTW, was admitted to NJ last week!!!!! I did all my applications in September when everyone was still yawning and crying. Dont know why people waited to do this last minute. The people who are sending in applications now or in coming weeks will be admitted sometime in April, May because of the vast majority of applicants doing the same. Its a rolling basis which means the earlier you get it in, the better. I literally sent in my applications two weeks before i got my bar grade. A lot people didnt know that you can send in your application before getting answer from Bar exam. All youd have to do is send them the letter after getting your bar grade and your file would be on top of the list.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7316
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:09 pm

advocate74 wrote:I am attending December 1st' swearing in ceremony. CANT WAIT!!!!! BTW, was admitted to NJ last week!!!!! I did all my applications in September when everyone was still yawning and crying. Dont know why people waited to do this last minute. The people who are sending in applications now or in coming weeks will be admitted sometime in April, May because of the vast majority of applicants doing the same. Its a rolling basis which means the earlier you get it in, the better. I literally sent in my applications two weeks before i got my bar grade. A lot people didnt know that you can send in your application before getting answer from Bar exam. All youd have to do is send them the letter after getting your bar grade and your file would be on top of the list.

Shut up nerd

cocoabean250
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:37 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby cocoabean250 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:22 pm

advocate74 wrote:I am attending December 1st' swearing in ceremony. CANT WAIT!!!!! BTW, was admitted to NJ last week!!!!! I did all my applications in September when everyone was still yawning and crying. Dont know why people waited to do this last minute. The people who are sending in applications now or in coming weeks will be admitted sometime in April, May because of the vast majority of applicants doing the same. Its a rolling basis which means the earlier you get it in, the better. I literally sent in my applications two weeks before i got my bar grade. A lot people didnt know that you can send in your application before getting answer from Bar exam. All youd have to do is send them the letter after getting your bar grade and your file would be on top of the list.


Cool story bro

advocate74
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:38 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby advocate74 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:57 pm

danger zone is crying because he failed and is a failure in life. its cool man. February is coming up so sit your ass down and study like a good little bitch.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7316
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:59 pm

Lol wut

I passed buddy

Take a pill

cocoabean250
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:37 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby cocoabean250 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:55 pm

That escalated quickly, Christ lol

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13324
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby JenDarby » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:58 pm

Yea, this is on topic. There are many things to criticize on this page, but this isn't the venue.

vuseldnjs
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby vuseldnjs » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:35 am

A quick question.

If I get a new job after submitting my application, do I have to submit a legal employment affidavit for my new job?

Thanks.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13324
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby JenDarby » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:26 am

vuseldnjs wrote:A quick question.

If I get a new job after submitting my application, do I have to submit a legal employment affidavit for my new job?

Thanks.

Yes, you should err on the side of caution and send it in as an update. Somewhere in the app materials there is a provision that says you need to update with any changes that may arise.

vuseldnjs
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby vuseldnjs » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:56 am

JenDarby wrote:
vuseldnjs wrote:A quick question.

If I get a new job after submitting my application, do I have to submit a legal employment affidavit for my new job?

Thanks.

Yes, you should err on the side of caution and send it in as an update. Somewhere in the app materials there is a provision that says you need to update with any changes that may arise.


Thanks!

victortsoi
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby victortsoi » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:30 pm

vuseldnjs wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
vuseldnjs wrote:A quick question.

If I get a new job after submitting my application, do I have to submit a legal employment affidavit for my new job?

Thanks.

Yes, you should err on the side of caution and send it in as an update. Somewhere in the app materials there is a provision that says you need to update with any changes that may arise.


Thanks!



same exact question- but what if we start literally the week before interview( or the day) ?

also, just got my green attorney registration form, its going to nyc? i wouldn't mind hand delivering it.

vuseldnjs
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby vuseldnjs » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:23 pm

Third Department question

Anyone knows the difference between the normal address and the express mail address when submitting admission applications?

Thank you.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13324
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby JenDarby » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:47 pm

victortsoi wrote:
vuseldnjs wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
vuseldnjs wrote:A quick question.

If I get a new job after submitting my application, do I have to submit a legal employment affidavit for my new job?

Thanks.

Yes, you should err on the side of caution and send it in as an update. Somewhere in the app materials there is a provision that says you need to update with any changes that may arise.


Thanks!



same exact question- but what if we start literally the week before interview( or the day) ?

also, just got my green attorney registration form, its going to nyc? i wouldn't mind hand delivering it.

You can hand deliver your app (I did) but you can't hand deliver the attorney registration as it goes to a po box not affiliated with any specific department (I tried and 1st felt wouldn't accept it).

AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:46 pm

Has anyone had any luck getting dismissed criminal citations? I have a misdemeanor citation from years ago that was dismissed on the merits at a preliminary hearing, but I can't seem to find any info on it. I don't know the date and am foggy on the specifics because I was completely wasted, and it was so many years ago. I had also defended myself pro se using google and the undergrad library, because I didn't want my parents to know so it's not like I can contact a lawyer who would have a file. There was a public defender who translated my ramblings into coherent sentences, but I don't recall his name and have no contact info because the whole thing was about 5 minutes. At the time, I never thought I'd need the info one day. If the NY criminal citation phone # tells you they don't store info after x number of days, is there any other way to track down the original citation? Thanks!!!!!

In addition, is there a recommended website to run a thorough background check on yourself? I'm not aware of any unpaid bills or anything like that, but want to dot my i's and cross my t's. I've used the ones on google, but even the ones I've paid for haven't had a full credit history and only recognized 2 or 3 credit cards out of the dozen or so I've had over a decade+.

misterjames
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:20 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby misterjames » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:53 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:Has anyone had any luck getting dismissed criminal citations? I have a misdemeanor citation from years ago that was dismissed on the merits at a preliminary hearing, but I can't seem to find any info on it. I don't know the date and am foggy on the specifics because I was completely wasted, and it was so many years ago. I had also defended myself pro se using google and the undergrad library, because I didn't want my parents to know so it's not like I can contact a lawyer who would have a file. There was a public defender who translated my ramblings into coherent sentences, but I don't recall his name and have no contact info because the whole thing was about 5 minutes. At the time, I never thought I'd need the info one day. If the NY criminal citation phone # tells you they don't store info after x number of days, is there any other way to track down the original citation? Thanks!!!!!

In addition, is there a recommended website to run a thorough background check on yourself? I'm not aware of any unpaid bills or anything like that, but want to dot my i's and cross my t's. I've used the ones on google, but even the ones I've paid for haven't had a full credit history and only recognized 2 or 3 credit cards out of the dozen or so I've had over a decade+.


the court where your hearing was should have everything on file. you should at least remember that (I hope). you'll almost certainly have to go in person and make sure you have all forms of ID on you (license, passport, social security, the works) and go talk to the court clerk.

bmonroe
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby bmonroe » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:33 pm

vuseldnjs wrote:Third Department question

Anyone knows the difference between the normal address and the express mail address when submitting admission applications?

Thank you.


Hey! 3rd department here, you send the application to the express address if youre mailing it express ( overnight or two day delivery).

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13324
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby JenDarby » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:41 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:Has anyone had any luck getting dismissed criminal citations?

In addition, is there a recommended website to run a thorough background check on yourself?

Officially request your records from the state gov, every state has its own mechanism and will provide varying levels of detail in the report. Whatever information they provide, or if what they provide says "we have no record for you" (if you had a preliminary hearing, that's highly unlikely) should be sufficient. Though still fully disclose the charges/disposition to be best of your recollection regardless. NY guidelines are here:

http://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/ojis/recordreview.htm

Pull your credit score which will show any derogatory marks on your credit.

SA2014
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:38 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby SA2014 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:51 pm

1st Department. Finally got interview on 2nd round, on Jan. 5th. This will be my last Christmas as a Law Clerk.

teeshtee
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby teeshtee » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:26 pm

SA2014 wrote:1st Department. Finally got interview on 2nd round, on Jan. 5th. This will be my last Christmas as a Law Clerk.


What do you mean "2nd round"? Were you previously not offered an interview after having passed the bar exam and submitted a character/fitness application?

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:31 pm

SA2014 wrote:1st Department. Finally got interview on 2nd round, on Jan. 5th. This will be my last Christmas as a Law Clerk.


When did you submit?

SA2014
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:38 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby SA2014 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:33 pm

teeshtee wrote:
SA2014 wrote:1st Department. Finally got interview on 2nd round, on Jan. 5th. This will be my last Christmas as a Law Clerk.


What do you mean "2nd round"? Were you previously not offered an interview after having passed the bar exam and submitted a character/fitness application?

I mean that the first round of interviews was on December 8th....the next being Jan 5th.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests