NY Bar Exam Application

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:40 am

Third dept. Filled asap, just got a letter asking for further info (expected)'

HLBE689
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:27 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby HLBE689 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:26 am

SemperLegal wrote:Third dept. Filled asap, just got a letter asking for further info (expected)'


Letter by mail or email? Not sure whether to expect an "asking for more info"

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:42 pm

HLBE689 wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:Third dept. Filled asap, just got a letter asking for further info (expected)'


Letter by mail or email? Not sure whether to expect an "asking for more info"

Snail mail

ovxsny27
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby ovxsny27 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:04 pm

Anyone: 1) have an estimate (from submission to interview) of how long this process take sin the 1sr Dept., and 2) know whether or not 1st Dept. has a ceremony open to family & friends like the other departments?

Appreciate the responses! Congrats again to the passers and good luck to the repeaters!!

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13285
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby JenDarby » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:15 pm

ovxsny27 wrote:Anyone: 1) have an estimate (from submission to interview) of how long this process take sin the 1sr Dept., and 2) know whether or not 1st Dept. has a ceremony open to family & friends like the other departments?

Appreciate the responses! Congrats again to the passers and good luck to the repeaters!!

1st department allows you TWO guests at the ceremony since the courtroom has limited seating. A judge gives a speech and everyone stands up together and is sworn in as a group. You sign the register at your interview prior to this event.

I submitted my application in mid to late June and was sworn in mid September (interview, orientation and swearing in were all within a few days).

ovxsny27
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby ovxsny27 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:18 pm

JenDarby wrote:
ovxsny27 wrote:Anyone: 1) have an estimate (from submission to interview) of how long this process take sin the 1sr Dept., and 2) know whether or not 1st Dept. has a ceremony open to family & friends like the other departments?

Appreciate the responses! Congrats again to the passers and good luck to the repeaters!!

1st department allows you TWO guests at the ceremony since the courtroom has limited seating. A judge gives a speech and everyone stands up together and is sworn in as a group. You sign the register at your interview prior to this event.

I submitted my application in mid to late June and was sworn in mid September (interview, orientation and swearing in were all within a few days).


Thanks! But how'd you submit so soon? 1st dept only lets you submit after results are released.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13285
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby JenDarby » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:25 pm

I actually submitted so late. I passed the July 2014 bar and submitted in June 2015.

ovxsny27
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby ovxsny27 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:29 pm

JenDarby wrote:I actually submitted so late. I passed the July 2014 bar and submitted in June 2015.


Hah gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

Pegasus18
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:56 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Pegasus18 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:49 am

Same question but for the 3rd Dep. If I send my application in the beginning of December, can I make it for the February session?

Thanks!

User avatar
bear patrol
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby bear patrol » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:22 am

Couldn't find an answer on the BOLE site - Do you have to physically attend the swearing in ceremony? Is there an option for out-of-staters?

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13285
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby JenDarby » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:56 am

bear patrol wrote:Couldn't find an answer on the BOLE site - Do you have to physically attend the swearing in ceremony? Is there an option for out-of-staters?

Yes, you have to physically attend. You would have to physically attend your interview anyways and the ceremony will be within a couple days.

My friend had to fly in from Spain. The big option they give you is that you have 3 years from passing the bar to do so.

HLBE689
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:27 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby HLBE689 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:11 pm

FYI - 3rd Department, submitted application a few days after results came out. Just received an e-mail saying all my materials had been received, along with the time of my C&F interview and time of the swearing-in ceremony, and an attached PDF with the Attorney Administration Form/fee requirement.

misterjames
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:20 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby misterjames » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:41 pm

Pegasus18 wrote:Same question but for the 3rd Dep. If I send my application in the beginning of December, can I make it for the February session?

Thanks!


The letter sent by the 3rd Dept said if you get everything in by December 11th, you are likely to get in for the first session on January 21st. Not guaranteed but it's something.

orangecup
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby orangecup » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:17 pm

Scheduled to interview in early Dec. The interview is pretty much a formality right? How long do they even last?

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13285
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby JenDarby » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:21 pm

orangecup wrote:Scheduled to interview in early Dec. The interview is pretty much a formality right? How long do they even last?

5 minutes if you didn't check any boxes. 10-20 if you did.

gabewatch
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:15 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby gabewatch » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:59 pm

orangecup wrote:Scheduled to interview in early Dec. The interview is pretty much a formality right? How long do they even last?


Oranceup, which department are you in?

orangecup
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby orangecup » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:03 pm

gabewatch wrote:
orangecup wrote:Scheduled to interview in early Dec. The interview is pretty much a formality right? How long do they even last?


Oranceup, which department are you in?


1st

nyny
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:53 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby nyny » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:20 pm

orangecup wrote:Scheduled to interview in early Dec. The interview is pretty much a formality right? How long do they even last?


When did you mail your completed application to the 1st department. I just mailed mines on Tuesday (2 day delivery), so they got it today.

orangecup
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby orangecup » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:01 pm

nyny wrote:
orangecup wrote:Scheduled to interview in early Dec. The interview is pretty much a formality right? How long do they even last?


When did you mail your completed application to the 1st department. I just mailed mines on Tuesday (2 day delivery), so they got it today.


The application should have gotten there earlier this week. So it was a quick turnaround.

nyny
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:53 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby nyny » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:02 pm

orangecup wrote:
nyny wrote:
orangecup wrote:Scheduled to interview in early Dec. The interview is pretty much a formality right? How long do they even last?


When did you mail your completed application to the 1st department. I just mailed mines on Tuesday (2 day delivery), so they got it today.


The application should have gotten there earlier this week. So it was a quick turnaround.


Wow!!! Cool thanks!

User avatar
sd5289
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby sd5289 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:17 pm

Question re. 2nd Dep't application:

I've been sending affidavits out, and have mostly filled out the application. My friends quickly turned around the 2 moral character affidavits, and I have 2 of the 5-6 legal employment affidavits back. I've heard that some (or all) of these expire within 6 months? Is that still the case? I looked at the moral character one I just got back today, and I don't see anything about that.

I have to track down an employer in another state, which I fear might take quite some time. Is it possible to submit my application in pieces, or does it all have to be at the same time?

Gracias.

misterjames
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:20 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby misterjames » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:03 pm

sd5289 wrote:Question re. 2nd Dep't application:

I've been sending affidavits out, and have mostly filled out the application. My friends quickly turned around the 2 moral character affidavits, and I have 2 of the 5-6 legal employment affidavits back. I've heard that some (or all) of these expire within 6 months? Is that still the case? I looked at the moral character one I just got back today, and I don't see anything about that.

I have to track down an employer in another state, which I fear might take quite some time. Is it possible to submit my application in pieces, or does it all have to be at the same time?

Gracias.


Where did you hear this from? I've never heard anything like that and would be very surprised if it were true, given how burdensome it would be for people who either retake or get these materials at some other time during the three year period which one's bar exam results are valid for.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13285
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby JenDarby » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:40 pm

In the 2nd department moral and current employer affidavits expire in 6 months.

In 1st department there is no such expiration.

misterjames
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:20 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby misterjames » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:10 pm

JenDarby wrote:In the 2nd department moral and current employer affidavits expire in 6 months.

In 1st department there is no such expiration.


Ah ok, 3rd Dept has no such expiration either, afaik

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7299
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:13 pm

misterjames wrote:
JenDarby wrote:In the 2nd department moral and current employer affidavits expire in 6 months.

In 1st department there is no such expiration.


Ah ok, 3rd Dept has no such expiration either, afaik

Niiice




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests