NY Bar Exam Application

akarenina
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:50 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby akarenina » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:20 pm

starryski wrote:2nd dept sounds like a hassle. i guess i aint moving (currently 1st dept) until i get sworn in hahaha


Ehhh it's 3 CLE credits off the top of the 32 required within the first 2 years of being admitted just for watching a video... I'll take it.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13324
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby JenDarby » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:29 pm

akarenina wrote:
starryski wrote:2nd dept sounds like a hassle. i guess i aint moving (currently 1st dept) until i get sworn in hahaha


Ehhh it's 3 CLE credits off the top of the 32 required within the first 2 years of being admitted just for watching a video... I'll take it.

CLE credits aren't bad as long as you schedule them around firm events that include cocktail hours afterwards.

And if thats what it is then 1st department has a similar equivalent which is an orientation you have to go after you pass your C&F interview and before you are sworn it. It's a boring in-person lecture by 4 attorneys regarding ethics and professionalism. You also receive CLE credits. And I got to miss work. So it wasn't TOO terrible.

User avatar
sd5289
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby sd5289 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:25 pm

My office is yelling at us to start our bar applications (obviously that fell by the wayside as soon as I started working), and I have a question about the employment affidavit. Does this go to:

- any law-related work prior to law school (but how broad is that category?)
- working as an RA (this doesn't include being a TA, right?)
- summer law jobs
- clinics
- our current job while we're not admitted (not sure about this)?

Thanks!

Ahyis
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:25 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Ahyis » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:27 am

sd5289 wrote:My office is yelling at us to start our bar applications (obviously that fell by the wayside as soon as I started working), and I have a question about the employment affidavit. Does this go to:

- any law-related work prior to law school (but how broad is that category?)
- working as an RA (this doesn't include being a TA, right?)
- summer law jobs
- clinics
- our current job while we're not admitted (not sure about this)?

Thanks!


- Law-related work SINCE 21 or in the last 10 years, whichever is SHORTER. Super broad.
-RA, yup. Guessing here, but probably being a TA too, if RA is included.
-Summer jobs yup
-Clinics yup
-Current law related job yup


To make it easier, and if you had trouble getting someone to respond (like if they were in a foreign country), you could theoretically and hypothetically just not list that particular job on your application. You know, like I most definitely didn't do when my Belgian law firm failed to answer 30 emails...

orangecup
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby orangecup » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:12 pm

How do we reference our current jobs on the general bar application?

On my affidavit, the firm stated my employment time as Sept 2015 - Current (and then they noted in the description that I summered there my 2L year). Does that mean I should only have one entry: Sept 2015 - Current (i.e., leaving the end date blank)?

mar.star1234
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:36 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby mar.star1234 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:43 am

My question relates to the employment affidavits: I have had quite a few firms saying it's not their policy to give references of any sort to short-term work experience students like myself. They have therefore declined filling in the affidavit. Others have been completely ignoring my attempts to get in touch. Should I nevertheless list those firms but specify they are unwilling to do it due to their company policy, enclosing correspondence, and also list the ones who haven't been responding, again enclosing my attempts to contact them. Somewhere I have read it's okay if you don't provide affidavits as long as you show you have made a number of attempts to contact your previous employer and they have ignored you. Other people have simply not included those firms in particular in their questionnaires....What would you do in such a situation?

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:53 am

mar.star1234 wrote:My question relates to the employment affidavits: I have had quite a few firms saying it's not their policy to give references of any sort to short-term work experience students like myself. They have therefore declined filling in the affidavit. Others have been completely ignoring my attempts to get in touch. Should I nevertheless list those firms but specify they are unwilling to do it due to their company policy, enclosing correspondence, and also list the ones who haven't been responding, again enclosing my attempts to contact them. Somewhere I have read it's okay if you don't provide affidavits as long as you show you have made a number of attempts to contact your previous employer and they have ignored you. Other people have simply not included those firms in particular in their questionnaires....What would you do in such a situation?


I'd remind them that, under the rules, they have an obligation to cooperate with the c&f board on all matters where attorney client privlige does not apply, & further remind them that you are obligated to fully list any employers on your bar application and submit an affidavit for any employers explaining why their response was not provided.

Seriously, drop the fucking dime on those bastards. Either they are the lawyer equivalent of people who post Rome statute disclaimers on Facebook (I.e. Idiots who don't understand how the law isn't just a bunch of magic words) or they are straight dicks

MAapplicant
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby MAapplicant » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:12 am

I know we must submit original affidavits for law-related employment and moral character, but does anyone know if we need to submit the original for pro bono affidavit too? The wording for the pro bono affidavit is a little different and I would prefer not to send the original (with my notarized signature) through the mail.

AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:18 am

MAapplicant wrote:I know we must submit original affidavits for law-related employment and moral character, but does anyone know if we need to submit the original for pro bono affidavit too? The wording for the pro bono affidavit is a little different and I would prefer not to send the original (with my notarized signature) through the mail.

No. If you count it as pro bono don't submit the same thing for law related employment. I believe the instructions on law related employment state this.

MAapplicant
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby MAapplicant » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:22 am

AReasonableMan wrote:
MAapplicant wrote:I know we must submit original affidavits for law-related employment and moral character, but does anyone know if we need to submit the original for pro bono affidavit too? The wording for the pro bono affidavit is a little different and I would prefer not to send the original (with my notarized signature) through the mail.

No. If you count it as pro bono don't submit the same thing for law related employment. I believe the instructions on law related employment state this.


I know not to submit a law-related affidavit for pro bono hours. I am talking about the pro bono paper we have to fill out for our pro bono work.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13324
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby JenDarby » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:26 am

MAapplicant wrote:I know we must submit original affidavits for law-related employment and moral character, but does anyone know if we need to submit the original for pro bono affidavit too? The wording for the pro bono affidavit is a little different and I would prefer not to send the original (with my notarized signature) through the mail.

Why? Just send the original. When they accept your application they send this faq with why it might not be complete (I was missing a few things for boxes I checked), and one of the "common missing items" listed is notarized originals.

If you're in nyc and you really care then you can hand deliver your app.

MAapplicant
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby MAapplicant » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:47 am

JenDarby wrote:
MAapplicant wrote:I know we must submit original affidavits for law-related employment and moral character, but does anyone know if we need to submit the original for pro bono affidavit too? The wording for the pro bono affidavit is a little different and I would prefer not to send the original (with my notarized signature) through the mail.

Why? Just send the original. When they accept your application they send this faq with why it might not be complete (I was missing a few things for boxes I checked), and one of the "common missing items" listed is notarized originals.

If you're in nyc and you really care then you can hand deliver your app.


I have the worst luck sending things. Always manages to get lost or delayed. But will send original. Thanks for the help.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13324
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby JenDarby » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:24 pm

MAapplicant wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
MAapplicant wrote:I know we must submit original affidavits for law-related employment and moral character, but does anyone know if we need to submit the original for pro bono affidavit too? The wording for the pro bono affidavit is a little different and I would prefer not to send the original (with my notarized signature) through the mail.

Why? Just send the original. When they accept your application they send this faq with why it might not be complete (I was missing a few things for boxes I checked), and one of the "common missing items" listed is notarized originals.

If you're in nyc and you really care then you can hand deliver your app.


I have the worst luck sending things. Always manages to get lost or delayed. But will send original. Thanks for the help.

I'd go with certified mail or fedex if I had sent mine since obtaining originals was a pain. I hand delivered mine to save the $ though.

gabewatch
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:15 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby gabewatch » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:35 pm

4th Dept. Submitted application on time (before 10/2). Does anyone know, are you supposed to send in the BOLE letter that you passed the bar, or do they check the pass list or something to verify?

User avatar
sd5289
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby sd5289 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:05 am

gabewatch wrote:4th Dept. Submitted application on time (before 10/2). Does anyone know, are you supposed to send in the BOLE letter that you passed the bar, or do they check the pass list or something to verify?


My letter says that a copy of it must be sent in with my application. I'm in the 2nd department.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7316
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:32 am

sd5289 wrote:
gabewatch wrote:4th Dept. Submitted application on time (before 10/2). Does anyone know, are you supposed to send in the BOLE letter that you passed the bar, or do they check the pass list or something to verify?


My letter says that a copy of it must be sent in with my application. I'm in the 2nd department.

Same for 3rd. I would mail it in.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby SemperLegal » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:39 am

Danger Zone wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
gabewatch wrote:4th Dept. Submitted application on time (before 10/2). Does anyone know, are you supposed to send in the BOLE letter that you passed the bar, or do they check the pass list or something to verify?


My letter says that a copy of it must be sent in with my application. I'm in the 2nd department.

Same for 3rd. I would mail it in.


Third dept, already submitted my C&F App back in September.

I just printed out and mailed the PDF by itself since it already had my BOLE number on it. Worse comes to worse I wasted 4x cents (bougie scum alert: no idea what a letter costs). Seems dumb, because the letter states that the BOLE has already certified us.

tiau1424
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:37 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby tiau1424 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Hey guys,

I have some questions regarding the C&F application.

- Do the persons signing the affidavits of good moral character have to be US citizens?
- Do month-long summer internships (in law or not) require employment affidavits?
- Is a 'general' university where I did an exchange in their faculty during my years of law school count as law school (as opposed to university - other than law school) in the form? Hope that makes sense

Many thanks!

gabewatch
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:15 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby gabewatch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:46 pm

Anyone hear anything from 4th department? Like any movement on the C+F application? I filed application on time, sent my bar passage certificate in, sent in attorney registration. I do know the swearing in is Jan 13, but havent heard anything else. I know 2d dept is already doing interviews.

DoneWithTests
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby DoneWithTests » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:52 am

gabewatch wrote:Anyone hear anything from 4th department? Like any movement on the C+F application? I filed application on time, sent my bar passage certificate in, sent in attorney registration. I do know the swearing in is Jan 13, but havent heard anything else. I know 2d dept is already doing interviews.


4th Dept. C&F seems to take a bit longer than the others. The associate class above mine were still waiting for their interviews during the week of Thanksgiving (I believe they eventually happened around mid-December).

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7316
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:13 pm

Submitted in 3rd Dept. 8)

legallybrunette25
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:08 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby legallybrunette25 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:25 pm

Does anyone know how long it usually takes from the time you submit your application to the 2nd department to being called in for an interview?

HLBE689
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:27 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby HLBE689 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:46 pm

legallybrunette25 wrote:Does anyone know how long it usually takes from the time you submit your application to the 2nd department to being called in for an interview?


Wondering the same about the 3rd department!

500pearl
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby 500pearl » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:00 pm

legallybrunette25 wrote:Does anyone know how long it usually takes from the time you submit your application to the 2nd department to being called in for an interview?

being called for interview is one wait and actually getting sworn is longer wait since 2d dept does not have one big ceremony so it is possible to wait until february or march until actually being sworn in

500pearl
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby 500pearl » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:01 pm

DoneWithTests wrote:
gabewatch wrote:Anyone hear anything from 4th department? Like any movement on the C+F application? I filed application on time, sent my bar passage certificate in, sent in attorney registration. I do know the swearing in is Jan 13, but havent heard anything else. I know 2d dept is already doing interviews.


4th Dept. C&F seems to take a bit longer than the others. The associate class above mine were still waiting for their interviews during the week of Thanksgiving (I believe they eventually happened around mid-December).


4th dept has one ceremony for everyone (it is in rochester) from buffalo rochester and syracuse region
that will take place jan 13 2016
the interviews will take place in buffalo syracuse and rochester
for rochester it is week of dec 14
for buffalo it will be dec 12




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], jaysgirl42671, mmmm and 7 guests