NY Bar Exam Application

Hutz_and_Goodman

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:12 pm

gabewatch wrote:Yeah. . . 19 pages but outside of the employment section I think most things will be quick. Just checking yes/no for most boxes. Child support, loan default, military service etc. Shouldn't be an issue for most people I would think. But ya, the employment section will be annoying. I worked a bunch of short term restaurant jobs in college and I doubt the management even remembers me.

For any speeding ticket you have received in the last 10 years you need the name and locality of the court and the charge or charges. I have 2 speeding tickets so im now trying to track that down.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:37 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I am applying to the 1st dept. The instructions indicate that applicants should not send materials until after they have received notification that they passed the bar. Does this mean I need to wait until after I am notified I passed the bar to request the form certificate from my law school indicating that I graduated (since this will be sent directly by the school to the NYS board of law examiners).

My law school accepted requests ahead of time but had a process to only send in the forms once they were notified that students did in fact pass the bar. I imagine (or would hope) most schools have a similar process/know how to manage these things.

Thanks!

Another question: what do you do if you have more previous employment position then will fit on the form?

Two posts above your other post

Damnit. I wish I had seen this thread before. I printed off another sheet of the page that has 3 job spaces (I had 3 left that I needed to put down) and filled that out.

This is what I get for doing things early.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:45 pm

They probably wouldn't fault you, but might as well just redo it to be safe. I hand delivered all my docs since the place is only 20 some blocks from my office and its a nice walk, and all the people I've met who work at the first dept C&F office have been super friendly and helpful.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:20 pm

Who are people asking to do affidavit of moral character? I could do both with friends I have known for years, but none are attorneys. Also, is there a problem with asking people living outside of NY? (will they be called into the state to interview or anything?)

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:30 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Who are people asking to do affidavit of moral character? I could do both with friends I have known for years, but none are attorneys. Also, is there a problem with asking people living outside of NY? (will they be called into the state to interview or anything?)

You can ask anyone and they do not need to be in state. I had classmate who graduated one year prior to me and I worked with on our journal and public interest group write one and then a close friend write the other. The people certainly do not NEED to be attorneys, but I figured couldn't hurt to try get one. You have employment affidavits wherein attorneys have the opportunity to basically reflect on your moral character by not saying anything negative about you.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:50 pm

JenDarby wrote:They probably wouldn't fault you, but might as well just redo it to be safe. I hand delivered all my docs since the place is only 20 some blocks from my office and its a nice walk, and all the people I've met who work at the first dept C&F office have been super friendly and helpful.

Thanks for the advice!

I meant to say earlier that your advice about getting out early during the bar exam sessions was money. I've always been quick, and always walked out of law school exams early, but getting out before the 15 and seeing the clusterfuck that was their "check out" process after I'd already eaten lunch was incredible. I didn't attack the exam with the goal of finishing early, but when I realized I had enough time to get out before the 15, I got those proctors over pronto to allow me out in time.

so, thank you. :)

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:20 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Who are people asking to do affidavit of moral character? I could do both with friends I have known for years, but none are attorneys. Also, is there a problem with asking people living outside of NY? (will they be called into the state to interview or anything?)

You can ask anyone and they do not need to be in state. I had classmate who graduated one year prior to me and I worked with on our journal and public interest group write one and then a close friend write the other. The people certainly do not NEED to be attorneys, but I figured couldn't hurt to try get one. You have employment affidavits wherein attorneys have the opportunity to basically reflect on your moral character by not saying anything negative about you.

Thanks. I'm going to pick friends who've known me forever.
Last edited by Hutz_and_Goodman on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:28 pm

Is working as a TA for a law school class "law-related employment"?

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:53 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Is working as a TA for a law school class "law-related employment"?

Ah, yes. I need to know this too. I know working as an RA does, so I already put that, but I didn't think being a TA counted. I could definitely be wrong on that one though.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:19 am

I had two non attorney family friends do my affidavits. I am from a small rural town and pretty literally didn't know any attorneys before law school. No one said anything to me about it.

mimuzani

Postby mimuzani » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:20 pm

I am still awaiting the results of the July NY bar exam. I have just been invited to submit my admission documents. Does anyone know what happens if I submit them all now prior to receiving my results, and later I find out I haven't passed the bar? If I have to re-sit the exam in February next year and am successful, would I need to again submit another set of admission documents (pro bono affidavits, law school forms, employment affidavits etc). Thanks!

trustmouse83

Postby trustmouse83 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:24 am

I prefer not to tempt the gods of fate before the results come.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:28 am

Random heads up: A friend of mine was in the second department and their department specific instructions specified that moral character affidavits and CURRENT legal employment affidavits must be dated NO EARLIER than 60 days prior to the filing of your application.

I would have been fucked since a couple of mine were dated closer to a year prior to my filing (TY first department). So watch out on dates and be vigilant on collecting affidavits if you are in the second department.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:43 pm

Also be sure to double check the BOLE website to confirm submission due dates and remember that these dates are hardline deadlines that you cannot miss.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:35 pm

No deadlines for first department though (outside of three years post bar passing).

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:35 pm

JenDarby wrote:Random heads up: A friend of mine was in the second department and their department specific instructions specified that moral character affidavits and CURRENT legal employment affidavits must be dated NO EARLIER than 60 days prior to the filing of your application.

I would have been fucked since a couple of mine were dated closer to a year prior to my filing (TY first department). So watch out on dates and be vigilant on collecting affidavits if you are in the second department.

So just to confirm, there is no 60 day cutoff for first department filing (Manhattan)? I can go ahead and get the character and employment affidavits now and not worry about anything?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:49 pm

orangecup wrote:
JenDarby wrote:Random heads up: A friend of mine was in the second department and their department specific instructions specified that moral character affidavits and CURRENT legal employment affidavits must be dated NO EARLIER than 60 days prior to the filing of your application.

So just to confirm, there is no 60 day cutoff for first department filing (Manhattan)? I can go ahead and get the character and employment affidavits now and not worry about anything?

When I submitted my First Dept application in July, I thoroughly investigated all the guidelines and couldn't find anything to the contrary. The basic instructions sent out by the Second Dept post certification specifically and clearly stated this cutoff. My affidavits were all 4-12 months old and there was no issue.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:56 pm

JenDarby wrote:
orangecup wrote:

When I submitted my First Dept application in July, I thoroughly investigated all the guidelines and couldn't find anything to the contrary. The basic instructions sent out by the Second Dept post certification specifically and clearly stated this cutoff. My affidavits were all 4-12 months old and there was no issue.

Thanks! One more question that just popped into my mind: It says to list current employment and prior employment since reaching the age of 21. Should we have a separate one for our SA and permanent employment at the firm?

Also, for current employment, do we leave the "To" date blank for period of employment?

w3456

Postby w3456 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:58 am

Is anyone else having trouble launching the "Orientation to the Profession" videos? I tried watching with several different video players and keep getting an error message that the link is invalid. Wondering whether anyone else has had this problem.

akarenina

Postby akarenina » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:49 pm

w3456 wrote:Is anyone else having trouble launching the "Orientation to the Profession" videos? I tried watching with several different video players and keep getting an error message that the link is invalid. Wondering whether anyone else has had this problem.

I had the same problem and I emailed them. Basically if you have a mac you have to download flip4mac (free online, there are paid ones but you should make sure you download one for free) and play it through that. Videos are working for me now.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:55 pm

w3456 wrote:Is anyone else having trouble launching the "Orientation to the Profession" videos? I tried watching with several different video players and keep getting an error message that the link is invalid. Wondering whether anyone else has had this problem.

What is this? We have to watch videos?

akarenina

Postby akarenina » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:14 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:

If you are in the 2nd department you do, I don't know if the other departments require.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:17 pm

akarenina wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:

If you are in the 2nd department you do, I don't know if the other departments require.

I'm in the 1st dept. If anyone can paste a link to anything requiring these videos I'd appreciate it.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:54 pm

No videos for 1st Dept.

starryski

Postby starryski » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:12 pm

2nd dept sounds like a hassle. i guess i aint moving (currently 1st dept) until i get sworn in hahaha

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”