NY Bar Exam Application

throwawayusername93

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby throwawayusername93 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:33 pm

Andrews989 wrote:
dat209 wrote:So I've been reading some of the comments about some of the rules and restrictions for the exam days and had two questions:

1. I think I already know the answer to this (no), but am I allowed to bring my car key into the exam room with me?

2. My laptop is issued by my job and has a barcode with a 5-digit identifying code just below the keyboard. Will this cause me any issues?

Thanks

I called BOLE and they said you can bring "keys, credit card, and money" in your pocket

Wait this is huge. I was planning on leaving my key in a hide-a-key thing somewhere in or on the rental car. Guess I'll call BOLE on Monday to be sure...

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:54 pm

throwawayusername93 wrote:
Andrews989 wrote:
dat209 wrote:So I've been reading some of the comments about some of the rules and restrictions for the exam days and had two questions:

1. I think I already know the answer to this (no), but am I allowed to bring my car key into the exam room with me?

2. My laptop is issued by my job and has a barcode with a 5-digit identifying code just below the keyboard. Will this cause me any issues?

Thanks

I called BOLE and they said you can bring "keys, credit card, and money" in your pocket

Wait this is huge. I was planning on leaving my key in a hide-a-key thing somewhere in or on the rental car. Guess I'll call BOLE on Monday to be sure...

I can confirm this too after my call. You should be able to bring that stuff in a pocket. Just don't bring your actual wallet.

throwawayusername93

Postby throwawayusername93 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:06 pm

Confused7 wrote:
throwawayusername93 wrote:
Andrews989 wrote:

Thanks

I can confirm this too after my call. You should be able to bring that stuff in a pocket. Just don't bring your actual wallet.

K. I'm bringing laptop in one hand, plastic bag and charger in the other, rental car key in pocket.

Are people actually showing up at 7:30 on Tuesday, or something closer to 8/8:10? I see an 8:30 cutoff but there was some noise about getting there at 7:30, which sounds like a joke.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:08 pm

throwawayusername93 wrote:Are people actually showing up at 7:30 on Tuesday, or something closer to 8/8:10? I see an 8:30 cutoff but there was some noise about getting there at 7:30, which sounds like a joke.

I'm gonna show up at 7:30 because I assume it's going to be a clusterfuck and I don't want to be showing up late if the security line takes an eternity.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:23 pm

For those going to Javits, are you expecting it to be heavily ACed inside? I was planning on wearing shorts + t-shirt, but I may bring a sweater/hoody if needed

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:24 pm

orangecup wrote:For those going to Javits, are you expecting it to be heavily ACed inside? I was planning on wearing shorts + t-shirt, but I may bring a sweater/hoody if needed

This was my exact plan as well. It's going to be in the 90s both days last I checked, and I'd rather be a little cold over too warm.

Also, I'm definitely showing up at 7:30am because it is sure to be a clusterfuck.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:32 pm

sd5289 wrote:
orangecup wrote:For those going to Javits, are you expecting it to be heavily ACed inside? I was planning on wearing shorts + t-shirt, but I may bring a sweater/hoody if needed

This was my exact plan as well. It's going to be in the 90s both days last I checked, and I'd rather be a little cold over too warm.

Also, I'm definitely showing up at 7:30am because it is sure to be a clusterfuck.

Am I making shit up or did I read somewhere that we had to leave all our outerwear in the personal belongings room? I am going to be cold as fuck and need to figure out a way to keep warm besides wearing a sweater in 90-degree weather.

nyc_elle_p

Postby nyc_elle_p » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:33 pm

I called BOLE and they told me no car keys and would have to put them in the personal belongings room at your own risk. But people who have taken NY Bar in the past have told me they brought their car keys in in their plastic bag. We shall see if they enforce.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:33 pm

Confused7 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

Am I making shit up or did I read somewhere that we had to leave all our outerwear in the personal belongings room? I am going to be cold as fuck and need to figure out a way to keep warm besides wearing a sweater in 90-degree weather.

I do remember reading that.... though when I think of outerwear, I think of coats/jackets. Would a sweater/sweatershirt count too?

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:41 pm

orangecup wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

I do remember reading that.... though when I think of outerwear, I think of coats/jackets. Would a sweater/sweatershirt count too?

I hope not. :( I'm out of town right now and won't be back to my apartment until after the test is over. I really hope sweatshirts with zippers are okay because that's the only thing I have in my suitcase!

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:13 pm

orangecup wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

This is what the rule says: "Outerwear (coats, jackets, hats, gloves, etc.) is prohibited in the exam room."

I'm interpreting that to mean NOT zip up hoodies. I'll just wear it into the exam room if necessary to show that it's not "outerwear."

Also, does our 1 liter bottle (which I'm planning on, I drink a *lot* of water) have to be inside the clear gallon plastic bag or can we carry that in? A/k/a do I have to crush all my pencils (because no, we can't possibly have mechanical pencils), ear plugs, snacks, etc, in with that damn water bottle?

P.S. the fact that we have to be having these conversations is absurd. I hate everything about this.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:15 pm

sd5289 wrote:This is what the rule says: "Outerwear (coats, jackets, hats, gloves, etc.) is prohibited in the exam room."

I'm interpreting that to mean NOT zip up hoodies. I'll just wear it into the exam room if necessary to show that it's not "outerwear."

Also, does our 1 liter bottle (which I'm planning on, I drink a *lot* of water) have to be inside the clear gallon plastic bag or can we carry that in? A/k/a do I have to crush all my pencils (because no, we can't possibly have mechanical pencils), ear plugs, snacks, etc, in with that damn water bottle?

P.S. the fact that we have to be having these conversations is absurd. I hate everything about this.

Yeah, me too. I'll wear my zip up hoodie and hope for the best, I suppose.

I think so, since it says: "The following items are permitted in the examination room and must be carried in one, clear, re-sealable, plastic food
storage bag (no grocery store bags):"

I bought a 23ozer from Duane Reade and it barely even fits into a gallon bag by itself. At least we can store it under the table when we're at our seat? :?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:14 am

Your bottle doesn't need to be in yor bag. There are canteens in the front and back of ever room to refill your water bottles with too.

Most girls (except for the handful that went full on heels and dress bar exam fashion show) were in yoga pants and tank tops/tshirts and didn't seem cold. I'm 50/50 on whether I brought a pull over or zip up and what others were wearing as out wear. I remember there were tons of Harvard pullovers, so feel free to wear your Harvard pull over. Do bring something though because th room is air conditioned.

I showed up around 7:50 the first day and around 8:10 the second. The lines are really long no matter what. If you're in line by 8:30 there is. I problem. You will not be penalized for being at the back of the line and they won't start saying instructions or proctoring until everyone is in their seats.

Don't overthink this guys. You'll be fine.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:13 am

JenDarby wrote:Most girls (except for the handful that went full on heels and dress bar exam fashion show) were in yoga pants and tank tops/tshirts and didn't seem cold. I'm 50/50 on whether I brought a pull over or zip up and what others were wearing as out wear. I remember there were tons of Harvard pullovers, so feel free to wear your Harvard pull over. Do bring something though because th room is air conditioned.

:lol: I'll be lucky if I can muster up enough energy to put on real pants after weeks of bar study in a dungeo...er, my apartment. I feel for those VA people who have to wear a suit.

Thanks for the info re. water bottle!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:16 am

I did the simulated MBE at Javits and it was freezing inside. I'm going to wear a hoodie, tshirt, shorts. Also it will definitely be a clusterfuck. Even for the simulated MBE people were running around as though it was the real test.

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:12 pm

for examsoft do we need to come in with our username and pw's written down? i signed up so long ago i dont remember what it entails

toplawnerd

Postby toplawnerd » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:03 pm

jediknight2424 wrote:for examsoft do we need to come in with our username and pw's written down? i signed up so long ago i dont remember what it entails

bump. i don't even remember making a username and pw...

imalreadyamember?

Postby imalreadyamember? » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:54 pm

So should I start getting shit together already? I know it takes forever so I'm trying to find out the timeline of applying for admission. Some Departments say you can start before you know if you passed. I just don't know if I'm supposed to wait for a letter/email or whatever, and I don't want to start filling out forms just to find out BOLE didn't update their site yet (95% chance they haven't updated shit and I'd be filling out the application from 2010 or something).

Haven't found any threads on this since a few years back. Any insight on timeline or when to start? I'll be out of state so 3rd or 4th Dept.

I know this sounds gunnerish to start this early but I'm moving soon and starting work and this is the only free time I'll have... forever... oh shit I'm going outside.

Edit: also found this http://www.nybarexam.org/Admission/Admi ... Packet.htm

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:26 pm

imalreadyamember? wrote:I know this sounds gunnerish to start this early but I'm moving soon and starting work and this is the only free time I'll have... forever... oh shit I'm going outside.

I've actually been told the same by admitted attorneys. Especially if you're starting work this fall because you'll get too busy to get it done. I was planning on starting it this week before I left for Europe.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:30 pm

Yea don't feel gunnerish.

I lagged and let my affidavit people lag, and all the sudden I am not being sworn in until mid September after passing the July 2014 bar. Fortunately it doesn't make much of a difference for my job, but if it makes any amount of difference for your job then you really should just get moving while it's fresh and full on lethargy hasn't kicked in.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:35 pm

I'm looking at the instructions and it says that if you're applying for admission in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Departments, you're set to go. You can file at any time (I'm in the 2nd, so awesome). If you're in the 1st, you have to wait until you receive your results and letter saying you're certified to the 1st Department.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:04 am

Oh my christ, the initial application is 19 pages long. So yeah, I'd get started early if you can. The employment section says to go back to when you were 21 or in the last 10 years, whichever period is shorter. If you're like me (30) and have worked since you were 16, this section is going to take a while. :shock:

gabewatch

Postby gabewatch » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:50 am

Yeah. . . 19 pages but outside of the employment section I think most things will be quick. Just checking yes/no for most boxes. Child support, loan default, military service etc. Shouldn't be an issue for most people I would think. But ya, the employment section will be annoying. I worked a bunch of short term restaurant jobs in college and I doubt the management even remembers me.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:11 pm

sd5289 wrote:I'm looking at the instructions and it says that if you're applying for admission in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Departments, you're set to go. You can file at any time (I'm in the 2nd, so awesome). If you're in the 1st, you have to wait until you receive your results and letter saying you're certified to the 1st Department.

Possible dumb question incoming: how do we know what dept we're assigned to

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:22 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
sd5289 wrote:I'm looking at the instructions and it says that if you're applying for admission in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Departments, you're set to go. You can file at any time (I'm in the 2nd, so awesome). If you're in the 1st, you have to wait until you receive your results and letter saying you're certified to the 1st Department.

Possible dumb question incoming: how do we know what dept we're assigned to

Manhattan/Bronx = 1st Dep't
Brooklyn/Queens = 2d Dep't

Um, everything else is 3rd or 4th? I don't know exactly which county goes where (typical New Yorker) but I'd bet it's on the Appellate Division website? It's according to your registered address with them.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”