NY Bar Exam Application

northwood

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby northwood » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:16 pm

flashforward2 wrote:Thank you, Also, what happens after we submit our initial application that's due April 30th? Do we have to do anything else before the Bar?

pretty much that's all you need to do ( well besides graduate, and study)

if you pay the 100 computer option, you will have to download the exam software and make sure it works and then upload/submit it by a certain date and time or else you will be forced to handwrite.

you will also need to download your ticket- but that doesn't occur until closer to the test day

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:21 pm

northwood wrote:
flashforward2 wrote:Thank you, Also, what happens after we submit our initial application that's due April 30th? Do we have to do anything else before the Bar?

if you pay the 100 computer option, you will have to download the exam software and make sure it works and then upload/submit it by a certain date and time or else you will be forced to handwrite.

you will also need to download your ticket- but that doesn't occur until closer to the test day

You need to submit a handwriting sample form.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:22 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
northwood wrote:

You need to submit a handwriting sample form.

that and a certificate of attendance from EVERY law school that you attended

Andrews989

Postby Andrews989 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:29 am

Is there an advantage to filling out the application early (now instead of late April)? I'm still not 100% sure which state I'm taking...

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:14 pm

Andrews989 wrote:Is there an advantage to filling out the application early (now instead of late April)? I'm still not 100% sure which state I'm taking...

No. I filled it out immediately just to make sure I didn't forget. Unlike other states with an additional fee to register late, NY just doesn't let you register after April 30th.

Andrews989

Postby Andrews989 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:58 pm

sd5289 wrote:
Andrews989 wrote:Is there an advantage to filling out the application early (now instead of late April)? I'm still not 100% sure which state I'm taking...

No. I filled it out immediately just to make sure I didn't forget. Unlike other states with an additional fee to register late, NY just doesn't let you register after April 30th.

Just to confirm - the timing of the application doesn't affect location preferences? (unlike the MPRE)

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:50 pm

Andrews989 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

Just to confirm - the timing of the application doesn't affect location preferences? (unlike the MPRE)

I wasn't given a choice of location when I filled out the application (unlike the MPRE). I can't say for certain it doesn't, but I think it's a pretty good bet it doesn't when the application doesn't even ask you about location preferences.

michael2015

Postby michael2015 » Fri May 01, 2015 5:33 pm

Any idea when test center location e-mail will be circulated?

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Fri May 01, 2015 5:42 pm

michael2015 wrote:Any idea when test center location e-mail will be circulated?

Think it said in the email confirmation that it would be sometime "after" the application period has closed.

So...anytime now?

michael2015

Postby michael2015 » Fri May 01, 2015 5:47 pm

What is a better testing experience: Albany or Buffalo?

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:05 pm

^ No idea on that one. I'm stuck with the Javits Center.

I guess in comparison, I disliked Albany as a city less than I disliked Buffalo. Buffalo is practically a ghost town.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri May 01, 2015 11:55 pm

sd5289 wrote:

Think it said in the email confirmation that it would be sometime "after" the application period has closed.

So...anytime now?

in 2013 it was early june

Jimothy

Postby Jimothy » Sat May 02, 2015 8:48 am

sd5289 wrote:

So...anytime now?

I don't know what happens in July, but my seat confirmation for this past February came out on January 13. I think that was about 2 months after registration. The seat ticket itself didn't show up until February 11, which was basically 2 weeks before the bar.

michael2015 wrote:What is a better testing experience: Albany or Buffalo?

I took in Buffalo, so I can comment on that at least. If you take in Buffalo, you'll be at the convention center downtown. Parking can be a pain in the ass if you don't know the city. There are several lots around the actual center, but some of the lot owners get word that the bar is in town, and they jack up the prices significantly. The lot I usually park in right by the testing center usually costs something like $5 per day for non-subscription parking, but they wanted $15 on the day of the exam. If you're in a hotel-- I don't know. I guess you're all set.

The actual center itself is nice enough, I guess. It's gigantic, so it's well-equipped to take on a huge number of takers. The actual testing room is just a ridiculously long, flat area filled with tons of rows of tables. It could actually take you more than a minute to walk to your seat. There's four huge bathrooms at the front of the room. They actually converted one of the Men's rooms to a Women's room for the bar because...I don't know, exactly. I guess they assumed females would take longer/end up waiting in lines while the clock ticks down. There's also more than enough power outlets to plug your laptop in. It actually kind of blew my mind that we could have so many laptops plugged in at once.

I've heard that Buffalo is the "overflow" center where the administration ends up placing most out of state and foreign examinees. I don't know if this is true, but I was definitely a rare person to actually be from the area. In this way, though, you can at least have some interesting conversations while waiting the 20-30 minutes after each session for the proctors to collect the materials. In my case, the guy on my right was from NJ and the girl to my left was from China.

davidtwlai

Postby davidtwlai » Sat May 02, 2015 11:49 am

I am a foreign applicant who took the exam in Buffalo in July 2014 and I loved Buffalo. I stayed at Hyatt which is just opposite to the exam center (the convention center). Hyatt provided free bottled water, free pencil, free ear plug, and free transparent plastic bags for the candidates. Catering was good and I had all my meals in the hotel (room service, lobby lounge, and the restaurant) on those 3 days I stayed there. The hotel also provided lunch box services on the 2 exam days. The hotel provided free transfers to the airport right after the exam.

michael2015

Postby michael2015 » Sat May 02, 2015 2:07 pm

Thanks Jimothy and davidtwlai

I am from CA/NV but have family, surprisingly, in both Buffalo AND Albany ( and go to each 2x a year). So, from what you guys are saying, Buffalo as a testing center isn't the worst. And in all honesty, I think I like Buffalo better, Albany is too busy and city-like. Buffalo is much quieter and it seems like a more relaxed place to take the exam.

Specualtion abound.

michael2015

Postby michael2015 » Mon May 04, 2015 2:58 pm

Does anyone know when the "Certificate of Attendance" e-mail will be sent out?

I am impatient.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Mon May 04, 2015 3:23 pm

I know there was a discussion about it somewhere, but just to want to get a sense. Just found out that NYC location will not be available to me (I guess NY bar doesn't care about civ. pro rule on 2 residencies). There is no information on where exactly Albany or Buffalo test centers are. So, what people are usually doing for hotels? How long in advance do you book them? Any advice is much appreciated.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:37 pm

I just got the email about Examsoft.

Nothing yet on the certificate of attendance and the handwriting sample.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon May 04, 2015 3:48 pm

EvelynS wrote:I know there was a discussion about it somewhere, but just to want to get a sense. Just found out that NYC location will not be available to me (I guess NY bar doesn't care about civ. pro rule on 2 residencies). There is no information on where exactly Albany or Buffalo test centers are. So, what people are usually doing for hotels? How long in advance do you book them? Any advice is much appreciated.

Now. The sites are posted on the website somewhere, can find it easier through Google. Some hotels are already booked solid.

Eta: here

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Mon May 04, 2015 4:16 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
EvelynS wrote:I know there was a discussion about it somewhere, but just to want to get a sense. Just found out that NYC location will not be available to me (I guess NY bar doesn't care about civ. pro rule on 2 residencies). There is no information on where exactly Albany or Buffalo test centers are. So, what people are usually doing for hotels? How long in advance do you book them? Any advice is much appreciated.

Now. The sites are posted on the website somewhere, can find it easier through Google. Some hotels are already booked solid.

Eta: here

Thanks! I just tried to book anything in Albany. It is impossible. Everything is booked. Do you think I should wait till the actual assignment and see if there is any luck there?

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Mon May 04, 2015 6:13 pm

davidtwlai wrote:

I am a foreign applicant who took the exam in Buffalo in July 2014 and I loved Buffalo. I stayed at Hyatt which is just opposite to the exam center (the convention center). Hyatt provided free bottled water, free pencil, free ear plug, and free transparent plastic bags for the candidates. Catering was good and I had all my meals in the hotel (room service, lobby lounge, and the restaurant) on those 3 days I stayed there. The hotel also provided lunch box services on the 2 exam days. The hotel provided free transfers to the airport right after the exam.

Thanks for this! Just booked a room at Hyatt (full refund until May 26th).
Hopefully I'll be able to actually get assigned to Buffalo!

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon May 04, 2015 7:19 pm

I need to know what my application date is for a petition to be barred in the WNY.

Was barred in January of 2015 in the fourth department. Anyone know what the date would be?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon May 04, 2015 7:24 pm

I am moving in to NYC apartment first week of June. Will I be able to take the test at Javits Center?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon May 04, 2015 7:57 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I am moving in to NYC apartment first week of June. Will I be able to take the test at Javits Center?

Did you list that address on your application? If not, then I believe, you will be subject to the same time pressures to select Javitz before the email goes out (if link remains unchanged) as all other out of state takers.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Mon May 04, 2015 9:28 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I am moving in to NYC apartment first week of June. Will I be able to take the test at Javits Center?

Did you list that address on your application? If not, then I believe, you will be subject to the same time pressures to select Javitz before the email goes out (if link remains unchanged) as all other out of state takers.

I agree. Proof of residency is due on May 15th. If you don't have any proof of NY residency for April, I am afraid you will be granted status UNASSIGNED (as the rest of the out of state takers). At least, this is what I was told when I called the office in charge.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”