NY Bar Exam Application

Hutz_and_Goodman

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:30 pm

What time does registration begin tomorrow?

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:29 am

I just registered, so it's open as of ~8:00AM Eastern.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:32 am

Me too. When do we find out the location? I'm out of state, so what I gathered is that it will be either Buffalo or Albany. Is this correct, and if so will I have the choice between them?

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:27 am

BBeauty wrote:Does anyone know the date of an upcoming swearing in ceremony for the second department? I just had my C&F interview and I am trying to figure out how long I have to wait. Thanks!

Any updates on this? I had my C&F yesterday (3/31), and he casually said "the next ceremony will be at the end of the month."

Any clues on when that might be? He said I'd get a letter...but as this process has shown me: the second department does not move quickly!

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:14 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Me too. When do we find out the location? I'm out of state, so what I gathered is that it will be either Buffalo or Albany. Is this correct, and if so will I have the choice between them?

albany

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:19 pm

Just registered for July.

From what I gathered, anyone in the city is stuck with the Javits Center, yes? I've heard that is a clusterfuck and a half.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:20 pm

sd5289 wrote:Just registered for July.

From what I gathered, anyone in the city is stuck with the Javits Center, yes? I've heard that is a clusterfuck and a half.

That's what I've heard too. Better than having to take it upstate though.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:32 pm

Javits Center is perfectly fine. All the people who complain about how terrible it is probably complain about every fucking aspect of their lives. Oh, long lines after lunch at the bathroom? Go in the middle of lunch or hold it for 15 minutes.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:13 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Me too. When do we find out the location? I'm out of state, so what I gathered is that it will be either Buffalo or Albany. Is this correct, and if so will I have the choice between them?

Also curious. JD and other experienced posters, any insight?

HLBE689

Postby HLBE689 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:17 pm

From what I understand, testing site selection comes after the close of applications - so sometime in May? I believe they send a link where you can change or request a particular site if you don't want to be automatically put into one based on your permanent address. But I could be wrong! Hopefully a previous bar exam taker can provide some insight.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:31 pm

Danger Zone wrote:

Also curious. JD and other experienced posters, any insight?

I received my seat confirmation on June 5th and had to confirm by June 9th (based on emails received from Ny bar examiners).

This threads from last year may have some interesting information:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=227003&hilit=albany

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:02 pm

I was out of state, and once the application period closed, they email you a link and let you pick your testing site.

ashle484

Postby ashle484 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:25 pm

If you are from out of state, I would go ahead and make a hotel reservation in both albany and buffalo now, and then cancel whichever one you end up getting. From my experience in February, in albany at least, the hotels book up really fast.

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:03 pm

Just registered!

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:41 pm

JenDarby wrote:Javits Center is perfectly fine. All the people who complain about how terrible it is probably complain about every fucking aspect of their lives. Oh, long lines after lunch at the bathroom? Go in the middle of lunch or hold it for 15 minutes.

Jen, I've heard some stories about lack of outlets for computer charges there(?!) Is this true?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:47 pm

Unagi wrote:
JenDarby wrote:Javits Center is perfectly fine. All the people who complain about how terrible it is probably complain about every fucking aspect of their lives. Oh, long lines after lunch at the bathroom? Go in the middle of lunch or hold it for 15 minutes.

Jen, I've heard some stories about lack of outlets for computer charges there(?!) Is this true?

This is false. There are many power strips at every single table. I could have plugged in three laptops.

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:03 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Unagi wrote:

This is false. There are many power strips at every single table. I could have plugged in three laptops.

Thanks!

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:54 pm

ashle484 wrote:If you are from out of state, I would go ahead and make a hotel reservation in both albany and buffalo now, and then cancel whichever one you end up getting. From my experience in February, in albany at least, the hotels book up really fast.

yes, you'll want to do this. just make refundable reservations at both.

especially important if you're going to fly up and won't have a car. in buffalo there's a couple of good hotels within walking distance, but those fill up first.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:57 pm

encore1101 wrote:

albany

in 2013, i got the email from nybole in June. it's just an email they send where you click on a link and then make your choice of where to take the bar.

i opened it right after i got it, so i had a choice between buffalo/albany/saratoga (and maybe event javits, although I can't remember). I was out-of-state. So as long as there are spots, yes, you'll get to choose. but it won't be until june.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Hi, just want to confirm that the NY bar app is just filling out the registration form, paying the fee and checking a computer option. I know that all my friends taking other jurisdictions have been scrambling to get their stuff together so it seemed a little odd that NY would only take 5 minutes. Do we really not have to do anything till July?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:15 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:Hi, just want to confirm that the NY bar app is just filling out the registration form, paying the fee and checking a computer option. I know that all my friends taking other jurisdictions have been scrambling to get their stuff together so it seemed a little odd that NY would only take 5 minutes. Do we really not have to do anything till July?

That's it!

My guess has been that so many fucking people take the NY bar that they just decided why gather all that shit from people before they even pass.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:31 pm

JenDarby wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:Hi, just want to confirm that the NY bar app is just filling out the registration form, paying the fee and checking a computer option. I know that all my friends taking other jurisdictions have been scrambling to get their stuff together so it seemed a little odd that NY would only take 5 minutes. Do we really not have to do anything till July?

That's it!

My guess has been that so many fucking people take the NY bar that they just decided why gather all that shit from people before they even pass.

I'm a rep for one of the bar review companies, so I've gotten an earful about the different applications and what's required. NY only requires you to sign up for the exam initially. Once you've found out you passed, you then begin the whole C&F and admissions process. My guess is that NY decided it was more effective to let those who fail just try again rather than go through the whole admissions process when they can't even be admitted yet.

But yes, NY takes maybe 5 minutes to sign up for.

flashforward2

Postby flashforward2 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:30 pm

Are fingerprints required for the initial NYS Bar Application?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:38 pm

flashforward2 wrote:Are fingerprints required for the initial NYS Bar Application?

No

flashforward2

Postby flashforward2 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:41 pm

Thank you, Also, what happens after we submit our initial application that's due April 30th? Do we have to do anything else before the Bar?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”