NY Bar Exam Application

AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby AReasonableMan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:06 pm

when is the deadline? i thought it was april??

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Lawst » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:32 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:when is the deadline? i thought it was april??


That's for signing up for taking the bar. Then after bar results come out, you send in a character and fitness application with approximately 512 affidavits, give or take a few, before you will eventually be sworn in. For example, I will be sworn in at the end of March after passing the July 2014 bar. So you have that to look forward to.

AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby AReasonableMan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:36 pm

Lawst wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:when is the deadline? i thought it was april??


That's for signing up for taking the bar. Then after bar results come out, you send in a character and fitness application with approximately 512 affidavits, give or take a few, before you will eventually be sworn in. For example, I will be sworn in at the end of March after passing the July 2014 bar. So you have that to look forward to.

but there's nothing i need to do until april? i know friends going to different states have stuff due this week, and NY just says 4/1-30 so thought I missed a part B or something.

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Lawst » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:45 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
Lawst wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:when is the deadline? i thought it was april??


That's for signing up for taking the bar. Then after bar results come out, you send in a character and fitness application with approximately 512 affidavits, give or take a few, before you will eventually be sworn in. For example, I will be sworn in at the end of March after passing the July 2014 bar. So you have that to look forward to.

but there's nothing i need to do until april? i know friends going to different states have stuff due this week, and NY just says 4/1-30 so thought I missed a part B or something.


Yep - you don't have to do much upfront for NY, unlike other states that want C&F information before you sit for the bar. There's a handwriting sample to send in, and your school has to send a certificate regarding your credits or something like that. And you have to register to use a laptop, which I think it was like $100. The bar examiners' site has a list - it's not much though.
Just make sure you make the late April deadline, because NY also doesn't have late registration, also unlike a lot of other states.

AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby AReasonableMan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:36 pm

Lawst wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:
Lawst wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:when is the deadline? i thought it was april??


That's for signing up for taking the bar. Then after bar results come out, you send in a character and fitness application with approximately 512 affidavits, give or take a few, before you will eventually be sworn in. For example, I will be sworn in at the end of March after passing the July 2014 bar. So you have that to look forward to.

but there's nothing i need to do until april? i know friends going to different states have stuff due this week, and NY just says 4/1-30 so thought I missed a part B or something.


Yep - you don't have to do much upfront for NY, unlike other states that want C&F information before you sit for the bar. There's a handwriting sample to send in, and your school has to send a certificate regarding your credits or something like that. And you have to register to use a laptop, which I think it was like $100. The bar examiners' site has a list - it's not much though.
Just make sure you make the late April deadline, because NY also doesn't have late registration, also unlike a lot of other states.

I get reimbursed, but I don't want to be that idiot who misses the deadline. Thanks a lot. Hope your swearing ceremony goes well! I never would've imagined it takes over a year, which is why I was worried.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15390
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby PennBull » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:52 pm

shock259 wrote:Gah - 1st Department cancelled the interviews and orientation this week, as well as the swearing in ceremony next week.

:cry:


Yeah this was a pretty shitty move to cancel everything. Just make room for the interview this week.

AJS30
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby AJS30 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:28 pm

I had my interview last week (2nd dept), if that's what you want to call it. My interviewer basically just spoke the whole time and didn't ask me anything and did not have the dates for the swearing in ceremonies. Do we get a letter in the mail confirming our date (interviewer said I would be contacted somehow)?

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:06 am

EvelynS wrote:Can anyone give advice on handwriting v. laptop options?

Laptop. Only option.

You would have to be pretty terrible with computers for me to think otherwise. You would have to not know how to type.

thelawyerguy
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby thelawyerguy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:31 pm

Has anyone applying to the 3rd Department heard anything recently? I turned in my stuff too late to make the January admissions date and I have heard nothing since.

User avatar
Antrim
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Antrim » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:24 pm

Hypothetically speaking - does anyone know what the interview is like/is it any different if you actually have CF issues to be brought up, and not a squeaky clean record?

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13303
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby JenDarby » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:39 pm

Antrim wrote:Hypothetically speaking - does anyone know what the interview is like/is it any different if you actually have CF issues to be brought up, and not a squeaky clean record?

Let me know how that goes for you! Seriously.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:59 pm

How not squeaky?

My application was "red flagged". As in, there were actual red sticky notes on their copy. Also, I didnt bring any documentation from any of the incidences in my application.

My lady mentioned it and lectured me for like 30 seconds, but it was pretty painless.

User avatar
Antrim
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Antrim » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:34 pm

bport hopeful wrote:How not squeaky?

My application was "red flagged". As in, there were actual red sticky notes on their copy. Also, I didnt bring any documentation from any of the incidences in my application.

My lady mentioned it and lectured me for like 30 seconds, but it was pretty painless.


I'll have a handful of red stickies. I submitted all possible documentation they could ask for with the original application so I'm hoping that makes them a little kinder come interview time.

User avatar
Antrim
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Antrim » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:34 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Antrim wrote:Hypothetically speaking - does anyone know what the interview is like/is it any different if you actually have CF issues to be brought up, and not a squeaky clean record?

Let me know how that goes for you! Seriously.


:lol: will do. Should be a rollercoaster.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:34 am

Antrim wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:How not squeaky?

My application was "red flagged". As in, there were actual red sticky notes on their copy. Also, I didnt bring any documentation from any of the incidences in my application.

My lady mentioned it and lectured me for like 30 seconds, but it was pretty painless.


I'll have a handful of red stickies. I submitted all possible documentation they could ask for with the original application so I'm hoping that makes them a little kinder come interview time.

I could have had more stickies. I think they just arbitrarily chose one incident to flag so they can say they are upholding the morals of the bar or something.

My interviewer told me I had a "habitual problem with authority" and it still went fine.

I will say that she did specifically ask me if had any DUIs (I don't), though I still cant imagine that being too much of a problem, as I am sure a fair number of law students have. Just be prepared to kiss some ass and you'll probably be good.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13303
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby JenDarby » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:56 am

bport hopeful wrote:
Antrim wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:How not squeaky?

My application was "red flagged". As in, there were actual red sticky notes on their copy. Also, I didnt bring any documentation from any of the incidences in my application.

My lady mentioned it and lectured me for like 30 seconds, but it was pretty painless.


I'll have a handful of red stickies. I submitted all possible documentation they could ask for with the original application so I'm hoping that makes them a little kinder come interview time.

I could have had more stickies. I think they just arbitrarily chose one incident to flag so they can say they are upholding the morals of the bar or something.

My interviewer told me I had a "habitual problem with authority" and it still went fine.

I will say that she did specifically ask me if had any DUIs (I don't), though I still cant imagine that being too much of a problem, as I am sure a fair number of law students have. Just be prepared to kiss some ass and you'll probably be good.

This is really helpful, thank you.

nybarexamquestion
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:30 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby nybarexamquestion » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:35 am

I had a minor date discrepancy on my application they have asked me to explain. The lady asked me to submit an affidavit explaining it. I asked if that meant just a word-typed, notarized explanation, and she said no, an affidavit. Does anyone know what kind of affidavit is needed? Is there a generic form I can use, or a way I could go through my firm for one?

thelawyerguy
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby thelawyerguy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:59 pm

nybarexamquestion wrote:I had a minor date discrepancy on my application they have asked me to explain. The lady asked me to submit an affidavit explaining it. I asked if that meant just a word-typed, notarized explanation, and she said no, an affidavit. Does anyone know what kind of affidavit is needed? Is there a generic form I can use, or a way I could go through my firm for one?



I'm not sure, but I'm guessing something like this http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/downloads/ ... loyees.pdf where it has the "The undersigned affiant, _____________________, being first duly sworn, hereby deposes and says" language etc. and it is notarized. What was the date discrepancy?

BBeauty
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:59 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby BBeauty » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Does anyone know the date of an upcoming swearing in ceremony for the second department? I just had my C&F interview and I am trying to figure out how long I have to wait. Thanks!

purpleparrot
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby purpleparrot » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:37 am

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this: I am taking the July 2015 bar, and I'm out of state, so I'll be assigned to the Third Department. I am clerking out of state for a year, then plan on moving to Manhattan, so I'll want to switch my application to the First Department but I won't have an address or job in the First Department until fall 2016. Will I be able to switch my application once I get my bar results this year, or am I stuck in the Third Department until I move? On that note, does it even matter what Department I am admitted through for practicing purposes?

User avatar
encore1101
Posts: 641
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:13 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby encore1101 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:05 pm

purpleparrot wrote:Wondering if anyone has any experience with this: I am taking the July 2015 bar, and I'm out of state, so I'll be assigned to the Third Department. I am clerking out of state for a year, then plan on moving to Manhattan, so I'll want to switch my application to the First Department but I won't have an address or job in the First Department until fall 2016. Will I be able to switch my application once I get my bar results this year, or am I stuck in the Third Department until I move? On that note, does it even matter what Department I am admitted through for practicing purposes?


I think you'll have to wait until you move, and what department you get admitted to doesn't matter for practicing purposes.

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Lawst » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:05 pm

purpleparrot wrote:Wondering if anyone has any experience with this: I am taking the July 2015 bar, and I'm out of state, so I'll be assigned to the Third Department. I am clerking out of state for a year, then plan on moving to Manhattan, so I'll want to switch my application to the First Department but I won't have an address or job in the First Department until fall 2016. Will I be able to switch my application once I get my bar results this year, or am I stuck in the Third Department until I move? On that note, does it even matter what Department I am admitted through for practicing purposes?


I was in the same situation. I think the deadline to change your address is in October - when you go to the change of address link it tells you what the deadline is. Changing from third to first department was no problem for me.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:22 pm

Just be careful and super aware of all of the deadlines that apply to you. The different departments do not communicate well.

I switched from 3rd to 4th and kept getting the emails from the third. Bumped my deadline up 6 weeks. I realized like 5 days before my application was due.

michael2015
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:28 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby michael2015 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:48 pm

Two days!!!

This is me reminding myself....Don't f*c this up!

HLBE689
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:27 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby HLBE689 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:31 pm

For testing site selection, when does this happen? Does it matter how quickly you get the application in (first come first serve) or does site selection happen after the final day to submit applications in April. Just wondering if it matters how quickly we get the application completed - i.e., is it necessary to try to get it done on April 1st.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 3 guests