NY Bar Exam Application

shtolky

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby shtolky » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:54 pm

First department here...my application was received on Dec. 30th, today I got a letter in the mail with tentative interview and ceremony dates: March 24 for interview and March 30 for ceremony. Is such a long wait from receipt of application to interview date normal? I guess first department has a ton of apps and I have to be patient. Any other first dept people had or have a similar wait time?

Thanks all.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:05 pm

shtolky wrote:First department here...my application was received on Dec. 30th, today I got a letter in the mail with tentative interview and ceremony dates: March 24 for interview and March 30 for ceremony. Is such a long wait from receipt of application to interview date normal? I guess first department has a ton of apps and I have to be patient. Any other first dept people had or have a similar wait time?

Thanks all.

I have no answer to your question, but I offer sympathy. That sucks man.

AJS30

Postby AJS30 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:45 pm

Second Dept here....still have not heard anything....??

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:17 am

shtolky wrote:First department here...my application was received on Dec. 30th, today I got a letter in the mail with tentative interview and ceremony dates: March 24 for interview and March 30 for ceremony. Is such a long wait from receipt of application to interview date normal? I guess first department has a ton of apps and I have to be patient. Any other first dept people had or have a similar wait time?

Thanks all.

Same dates here. I'm also curious how long it's taken for First Department people to get the email saying their applications are complete.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:19 am

Welp, I guess I should work on submitting my app soon if I want to be admitted in 2015.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:43 am

Thanks all.

Jesus..and I thought waiting until January 22 was excruciating.

shtolky

Postby shtolky » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:32 am

The wait isn't a huge problem for me I was just curious to see if others were experiencing the same wait. Three years of school, a summer of bar study and waiting for the results means I can continue to be patient.

heinea

Postby heinea » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:13 pm

Pleasantly surprised with the 2nd Department. Interviewed on 12/16, where the hardest question was "what did you learn from the Orientation to the Profession course?" And the answer he wanted to hear being "no comingling of funds..." I found out today I am being admitted on 1/21.
The only thing that held me up was that I did not put my CC expiration date on the payment slip for the dues. Of course the $$ held me up.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:29 pm

heinea wrote:Pleasantly surprised with the 2nd Department. Interviewed on 12/16, where the hardest question was "what did you learn from the Orientation to the Profession course?" And the answer he wanted to hear being "no comingling of funds..." I found out today I am being admitted on 1/21.
The only thing that held me up was that I did not put my CC expiration date on the payment slip for the dues. Of course the $$ held me up.

1. Slack off on registering it so you can watch it in the luxury of your own home; or
2. You can do a lot of coke and booze and still end up all right

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:34 pm

JenDarby wrote:Welp, I guess I should work on submitting my app soon if I want to be admitted in 2015.

Same boat. Dreading this whole C&F thing

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:35 pm

heinea wrote:Pleasantly surprised with the 2nd Department. Interviewed on 12/16, where the hardest question was "what did you learn from the Orientation to the Profession course?" And the answer he wanted to hear being "no comingling of funds..." I found out today I am being admitted on 1/21.

I've heard from most of my 2nd Department friends that they meet with an attorney, basically shoot the breeze with them for 10 or 15 minutes, and that's it, which sounds pretty great and stress-free. I think the 1st Department is more strict, but not sure what to expect.

delphus

Postby delphus » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:14 pm

Anyone heard from the third department? Submitted my application on December 11, and it has been radio silence since...

thelawyerguy

Postby thelawyerguy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:05 am

delphus wrote:Anyone heard from the third department? Submitted my application on December 11, and it has been radio silence since...

I submitted my application about a week after you and I called to check on the status because I hadn't heard anything. They said I was probably looking at a March swearing in date.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:57 am

so if my attorney registration form payment was due today and I mailed it today am I fucked and won't be a lawyer anymore

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:35 am

PennBull wrote:so if my attorney registration form payment was due today and I mailed it today am I fucked and won't be a lawyer anymore

wat is this

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:37 am

Antrim wrote:
PennBull wrote:so if my attorney registration form payment was due today and I mailed it today am I fucked and won't be a lawyer anymore

wat is this

You'll receive the form after you send your shit in

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:38 am

PennBull wrote:
Antrim wrote:

wat is this

You'll receive the form after you send your shit in

Ah yea I should probably get to that eventually

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Antrim wrote:Ah yea I should probably get to that eventually

You haven't sent your app in yet? Glad I'm not alone.

shtolky

Postby shtolky » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:21 pm

Would anyone be able to provide me with a number to call (for both first and second departments) to check the status of my bar application? I am first department and my friend is second department and has not heard anything for over a month after sending in her application.

Thank you.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:45 pm

shtolky wrote:Would anyone be able to provide me with a number to call (for both first and second departments) to check the status of my bar application? I am first department and my friend is second department and has not heard anything for over a month after sending in her application.

Thank you.

If you google first department bar application (and same for second), it comes up pretty easily. They're not hiding the information.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:29 pm

my god, what an epic waste of time. First sentence of the interview: "Congratulations, you're going to be admitted!" Why even go through this farce?!?!

jhilly123

Postby jhilly123 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:41 am

So are we allowed to bring bags to the interview and ceremony? Not sure what I'm carrying but definitely at least water, wallet, and phone. Is anyone going to do this? For Massachusetts we could leave it on our chairs when we physically got up to get out certificates but I know NY doesn't give them. I'm in the third department lucked out and got an interview the same day.

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:02 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Antrim wrote:Ah yea I should probably get to that eventually

You haven't sent your app in yet? Glad I'm not alone.

Still nope. Planning on having it dropped in the mail by the end of the week tho.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:31 pm

Gah - 1st Department cancelled the interviews and orientation this week, as well as the swearing in ceremony next week.

:cry:

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:01 pm

Can anyone give advice on handwriting v. laptop options?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”