NY Bar Exam Application

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:39 am

i just put the credits I had currently completed because I wasn't sure....I doubt this matters too much?

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:23 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i just filled out this app but am an idiot. i am not sure if i read the question correctly about employment in ny. what was it asking?

I believe it was something along the lines of "are you presently employed in NY, and if so, where?"


As the question asks about present employment, I'm assuming you wouldn't put any information if you were an SA in NYC and plan to return there after graduation (e.g. in the fall)?

Also, re: credits, any past bar takers just put total up to that point or total expected to be awarded?

seatown12
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby seatown12 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:29 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i just filled out this app but am an idiot. i am not sure if i read the question correctly about employment in ny. what was it asking?

I believe it was something along the lines of "are you presently employed in NY, and if so, where?"

As the question asks about present employment, I'm assuming you wouldn't put any information if you were an SA in NYC and plan to return there after graduation (e.g. in the fall)?

If that's true, then who would answer "yes" to that question? Someone working part time as a clerk during 3L? That can't be what they're getting at.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:35 pm

seatown12 wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i just filled out this app but am an idiot. i am not sure if i read the question correctly about employment in ny. what was it asking?

I believe it was something along the lines of "are you presently employed in NY, and if so, where?"

As the question asks about present employment, I'm assuming you wouldn't put any information if you were an SA in NYC and plan to return there after graduation (e.g. in the fall)?

If that's true, then who would answer "yes" to that question? Someone working part time as a clerk during 3L? That can't be what they're getting at.


Dude, have you done it yet? If so, how'd you fill it out?

If you're a 1L/2L, then kindly GTFO.

seatown12
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby seatown12 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:31 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
seatown12 wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:As the question asks about present employment, I'm assuming you wouldn't put any information if you were an SA in NYC and plan to return there after graduation (e.g. in the fall)?

If that's true, then who would answer "yes" to that question? Someone working part time as a clerk during 3L? That can't be what they're getting at.

Dude, have you done it yet? If so, how'd you fill it out?

If you're a 1L/2L, then kindly GTFO.

Yes I filled it out already.

Considering it asks you to notify the board in writing if your employment situation changes at any point, it seems like the easy and obvious approach would be to list the firm with whom you have accepted employment. Or you could list yourself as unemployed because you aren't "presently" working at the firm and send a written notice later.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:14 pm

Gotcha. Eh, I erred on the side of caution and chose to leave it blank. I feel like SA to full-time offers contain too many contingencies (e.g. graduation, actually showing up, etc.) to classify the situation as "presently" employed.

jpg
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:32 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby jpg » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:09 pm

I called the board to ask about that question: if you are not presently employed, i.e. actually working, in NY, you leave it blank. That means if you have accepted an offer that begins this fall, but are not working right now, leave it blank!

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:14 pm

jpg wrote:I called the board to ask about that question: if you are not presently employed, i.e. actually working, in NY, you leave it blank. That means if you have accepted an offer that begins this fall, but are not working right now, leave it blank!


8)

seatown12
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby seatown12 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
jpg wrote:I called the board to ask about that question: if you are not presently employed, i.e. actually working, in NY, you leave it blank. That means if you have accepted an offer that begins this fall, but are not working right now, leave it blank!

8)

lol oops

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:41 pm

does anyone know if i should have put the number of credits I currently have or the number I will graduate with?

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby legends159 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:53 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i just filled out this app but am an idiot. i am not sure if i read the question correctly about employment in ny. what was it asking?

I believe it was something along the lines of "are you presently employed in NY, and if so, where?"


As the question asks about present employment, I'm assuming you wouldn't put any information if you were an SA in NYC and plan to return there after graduation (e.g. in the fall)?

Also, re: credits, any past bar takers just put total up to that point or total expected to be awarded?


weird, I don't remember seeing the question about employment in my application.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm from New York, and would like to take the bar in Manhattan.

But on my bar application I put my residential address and mailing address in another state, since I don't know go to law school in New York.

Will this prevent me from getting Manhattan as my test center location?

Rams55
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:19 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Rams55 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:13 pm

Anyone taking MA and NY? Im trying to figure out the likelihood of not getting Albany/Springfield. Do you think it makes sense to just book hotels, under the assumption that I will get both locations (MA resident, MBE in NY)?

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby legends159 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm from New York, and would like to take the bar in Manhattan.

But on my bar application I put my residential address and mailing address in another state, since I don't know go to law school in New York.

Will this prevent me from getting Manhattan as my test center location?


You could have put your NY address if that is your permanent address. It will be difficult to get manhattan but not impossible, just need to get the link and select before it fills up. but there are a limited number of seats b/c people w/ the NY addresses will be automatically placed in manhattan.

User avatar
jamaicanjynx
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:24 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby jamaicanjynx » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:53 pm

I'm taking NY and NJ. Does anyone have any info about likely Jersey exam locations for out of state applicants? I'm trying to book hotels early (and cancel later if necessary) to get the cheapest price.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:29 pm

It's not hard to get Manhattan, even if you're out of state.

But why would you want to? Javitz is full of suck. Believe me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:58 pm

What is the testing center for those with laptops in Buffalo? I'd like to book a hotel in advance.

And is there a risk that you won't be able to use a laptop in Buffalo because of limited spots?

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby danquayle » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:15 pm

petsoundspop wrote:This is probably more info than you wanted, but oh well. The actual application for registering for the exam is extremely simple and took about ten minutes. Beware though, NY does not accept late applications (even with a fee), so be sure to get your app in by the deadline.

Your test center assignment comes later. If you are from out of state (like I was), you will be assigned to Albany. You are assigned to a certain department (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th) depending on where your residence is. Taking it in Albany actually worked out better for me, as it was a less hectic environment than that my friends experienced in Manhattan. I booked a room in the actual hotel I was taking the exam, so got to come up for lunch, etc. On the actual exam day, it took literally five seconds to get from my room to the check-in line. It definitely helped decrease the stress.

I'm in the Second Department and can therefore only comment on my experience with them. The Character and Fitness portion comes after the bar exam, and takes a while. I switched my assigned department after talking the exam (to the 2nd department) since I moved in state. You need to submit legal affidavits signed by EVERY legal employer you've ever had (including before law school, unpaid internships, and law school clinics, i.e. ANYTHING legally-related). The affidavit just provides the date you worked there and asks if there is any reason you wouldn't be fit to practice law. This is a pain in the ass and took months to collect (I started sending them out in August, months before I knew whether I passed).

You also need to submit two "moral character" affidavits. At least in the second department these character affidavits are only good for 60 days. This means that you have to time it out so that you leave enough time for your affiants to fill out the character affidavits, but not so much time that the 60 days passes when it is time to submit your application. I received notification that I passed the NY bar exam the first week of November (for the July '11 administration). I sent in my completed packet that same week. So if you want to plan it out, just be sure to get your "character affidavits" in by the first week of November.

To be honest, the whole process is a pain in the ass (especially gathering and collecting all the affidavits). The 60 day rule makes absolutely no sense to me, considering that your moral character, or lack thereof, seems unlikely to change after 60 days.

After you submit your paperwork, you are required to have an "interview". I had to wait about four months to get an interview date. It lasted two minutes. I've been told that once you've received an interview date, you've been cleared by C+F and therefore it is just a formality. About a month after the interview I got a letter in the mail with my swearing-in date.

Two big pieces of advice for NY: 1) Get your affidavits and paperwork ready such that as SOON as you find you passed (they notify you via-email), you can drop your completed app in the mail that same day and 2) At least for the Second department you are required to take an "Orientation to the Profession Course" before you can be sworn in. The problem is that this information is hard to find out on their website and the slots fill up very, very quickly. Therefore, you don't want to be in a position (like a lot of people out there I know) where you have passed the bar exam, have been cleared by C+F, had your interview, but cannot be sworn in for another four months because you are waiting on a date to attend this program. Register for it right after passing!

All told, it'll be 5 months from the date of passing the exam to getting sworn in (two weeks! yes!). Hope this helps.


I thought all out of staters were assigned to Buffalo for the test itself. I was. But maybe that's only the Feb administration.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:41 pm

does anyone know if we were supposed to put how many credits we currently have or how many we will graduate with...it didnt specify...

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby legends159 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone know if we were supposed to put how many credits we currently have or how many we will graduate with...it didnt specify...


I believe it is how much you will graduate with

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:25 pm

do i need to call and amend my application then?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:33 pm

Is it okay to put my permanent home address (which is in NY) even if I go to law school and currently live outside of NY?

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby legends159 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it okay to put my permanent home address (which is in NY) even if I go to law school and currently live outside of NY?


yes. you're supposed to put your permanent home address -- think back to civ pro -- you only have one (or maybe 2) domicile. I called and confirmed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:17 pm

Are you all waiting until your classes are finished to send in your handwriting sample and transcript/dean's certification form? The Handbook says to do that, but for some schools, exams end pretty close to the June 15 deadline.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are you all waiting until your classes are finished to send in your handwriting sample and transcript/dean's certification form? The Handbook says to do that, but for some schools, exams end pretty close to the June 15 deadline.


I've wondered about this as well. We graduate 5/20, and presumably get our grades just before then, but I wouldn't imagine we get final grades, etc., until very close to that time. Does everything just have to be actually received or postmarked by that date?




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest