NY Bar Exam Application

bport hopeful

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:58 am

northwood wrote:4th dep't is also scheduling interviews and informing of the swearing in ceremony

Did you get yours scheduled?

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:30 pm

I had 5 employment affidavits out - waiting on the final one...and just now wondering if I should have also included an externship I did for credit during law school. The application says "law-related employment"...so I only chose like, actual employers (not academic exercises). That said, I did include the public defender, where I did a summer internship (though I did get a grant through my school).

Thoughts on whether I should include this externship? It was the government relations (lobbying) department of a non-profit...not an actual legal practice.

Also, I am 3rd department...really hoping that when I finally send this in, they can schedule all of my stuff for one trip. Is that what they usually do? I have no need for any formal ceremony. I live nowhere near Albany, so it will be expensive. I am not even going to be practicing law, so there is no hurry...just want to make the process as inexpensive as possible.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:24 pm

Yes. You need to include it.

sls3l

Postby sls3l » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:50 am

3rd Department. Got notice of my interview for the morning of Thursday, January 22, 2014. The notice came through the regular mail and came approximately a week and a half after I submitted my completed application.

clradagst

Postby clradagst » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:04 pm

I sent in my materials to the 3rd Department last week, and have been notified they have received and I will be notified if I'm missing anything. Assuming I included everything, when can I reasonably be expected to be actually admitted?

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:22 pm

4th Dept. Finally received my interview date.

Seems like I dont have a time specifically, but that they bring a bunch of people in and just go through the group.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:33 pm

clradagst wrote:I sent in my materials to the 3rd Department last week, and have been notified they have received and I will be notified if I'm missing anything. Assuming I included everything, when can I reasonably be expected to be actually admitted?

January 22. It's in the letter they emailed you back in September or October (also posted in the website).

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:38 pm

Wondering if this has come up for anyone else: If an attorney affiant's law license has been administratively revoked in one state, does the attorney list that as jurisdiction as one to which he's been admitted. This person is admitted to another state bar and is good standing there, but let dues/fees lapse in another state.

IFoughtTheLaw

Postby IFoughtTheLaw » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:22 am

Lawst wrote:Wondering if this has come up for anyone else: If an attorney affiant's law license has been administratively revoked in one state, does the attorney list that as jurisdiction as one to which he's been admitted. This person is admitted to another state bar and is good standing there, but let dues/fees lapse in another state.

I don't think they will care one way or the other. Why not just have the person add "(intentionally let lapse)" or something beneath it if you're worried.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:08 pm

finally submitted my shit to the first department eventho it's been sitting on my desk for two weeks

here's hoping the process is quick

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:12 pm

PennBull wrote:finally submitted my shit to the first department eventho it's been sitting on my desk for two weeks

here's hoping the process is quick

I've been letting everyone really drag out this affidavit process. Now that its December I will probably just give people until after the holidays...lol

gmr189

Postby gmr189 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:42 pm

I seem to have misplaced my interview letter (i know the location, time, etc.) but does anyone know if we have to specifically bring anything to the interview besides ourselves?

prs362

Postby prs362 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:13 pm

gmr189 wrote:I seem to have misplaced my interview letter (i know the location, time, etc.) but does anyone know if we have to specifically bring anything to the interview besides ourselves?

No need to bring anything, but if you're in the 1st Department at least, make sure to mail your application/check before your interview. Lots of people on Tuesday were sent running to the post office.

thelawyerguy

Postby thelawyerguy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:50 am

How long does it take the 3rd department to get back with an interview date?

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:50 pm

prs362 wrote:
gmr189 wrote:I seem to have misplaced my interview letter (i know the location, time, etc.) but does anyone know if we have to specifically bring anything to the interview besides ourselves?

No need to bring anything, but if you're in the 1st Department at least, make sure to mail your application/check before your interview. Lots of people on Tuesday were sent running to the post office.

I thought the first department didn't even schedule interviews until after your application was submitted? I haven't heard anything about an interview yet, but I hope to send in my application next week.

MikeSmith

Postby MikeSmith » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:37 pm

3rd Department

I received an email from them saying they received my application. How long should it take for a letter to arrive?

SammyJ

Postby SammyJ » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:05 pm

For those applying to the Second Department, how long after you sent in your application did you get some sort of confirmation that they received it? Fedex says my application was delivered on 11/14 but I still haven't heard anything. Thanks in advance.

inkincorporate

Postby inkincorporate » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:42 pm

SammyJ wrote:For those applying to the Second Department, how long after you sent in your application did you get some sort of confirmation that they received it? Fedex says my application was delivered on 11/14 but I still haven't heard anything. Thanks in advance.

Second Department, sent it in right around when you did. Still haven't heard anything.

prs362

Postby prs362 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:27 pm

Lawst wrote:
prs362 wrote:

I thought the first department didn't even schedule interviews until after your application was submitted? I haven't heard anything about an interview yet, but I hope to send in my application next week.

I dropped my packet off in person a day or so after results came out. Getting sworn in tomorrow. But everyone else I know hasn't even turned in their app, so don't worry about it.

Edit: just realized you were asking about the part where I said to mail your application I'm before interviewing. When they schedule the interview, there is a 1 page form they send you to fill out and send in with a $350 check. This is what has to be submitted prior to the interview.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:42 pm

inkincorporate wrote:
SammyJ wrote:For those applying to the Second Department, how long after you sent in your application did you get some sort of confirmation that they received it? Fedex says my application was delivered on 11/14 but I still haven't heard anything. Thanks in advance.

Second Department, sent it in right around when you did. Still haven't heard anything.

Sent mine in about a little less than a week before and got my interview date last week in an email (so maybe be on the look out?). From talking to other friends, I hear the 2nd dept. doesn't do things uniformly (depends on the reviewer) and you could have your interview scheduled by snail mail postcard, emails or phone call.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:18 pm

Second Department. Mailed via registered mail around 11/12. Have not heard anything.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:34 pm

The letter I received for my interview date says something about a registration fee. Where do I pay that?

Fourth Dept.

SammyJ

Postby SammyJ » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:06 am

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Good to know I'm not the only one.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:00 pm

MikeSmith wrote:3rd Department

I received an email from them saying they received my application. How long should it take for a letter to arrive?

I got my first response in around 2 weeks, sent right before results were released. They asked for another form, I sent it in and got a date in a week.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:12 pm

bport hopeful wrote:The letter I received for my interview date says something about a registration fee. Where do I pay that?

Fourth Dept.

are you talking about the 375 attorney fee that the 4th department mailed to us using green paper? I think you send it directly to the NYC address on the form.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”