NY Bar Exam Application

blue920

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby blue920 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:02 am

AJS30 wrote:For those who have not received all your legal employment affidavits, how long are you giving these people? This one woman didn't answer me for a week so i sent her a follow up email last week, she apologized and said she never saw the first email and that she would fill out the paperwork for me. It is now a week later and still nothing. Emailed again today and no response. Do I call tomorrow or give another week? I really wanted to get this paperwork in and it's last thing I'm waiting for.

I would call, and here's why:

I had five legal employment affidavits to get filled out. I got back four of them within a week. I mailed out three of them on a Friday, sent a heads-up email to everyone anticipating a Monday arrival and also attaching the PDF. Monday morning, I already had two emails saying it was done, and all three arrived that week. I was like, this is a breeze, I don't know what everyone complains about. Famous last words.

The other two I dropped off in person, as I had done a pre-law school internship and a summer after 1L internship at the same place, but with different supervisors and different tasks. Also included return envelopes when dropping off. Got back the law internship one pretty quickly, and then was just waiting on the last one. And waiting...and waiting.

Unfortunately, I no longer had my supervisor's email (this internship was like 4 years ago) and I didn't want to be a nuisance and go over there again and then have that be the day it arrived in the mail. But two weeks go by and I finally call - no answer and I leave a message. Couple days later, I go over there and it turns out she just left on a two-week vacation! At least I finally got her email, so I send her an email asking very politely what happened to my affidavit.

She gets back from vacation and emails me that since I did two internships there, and the one she supervised was a pre-law one, she didn't think she had to do it and that's why I didn't get it back. When I dropped the form off, I said hello to her and then got sidetracked talking to my other former supervisor. By the time we were finished, she had gone to lunch, so I just left the form on her desk with a note explaining what it was and giving my email if she'd rather have me send her the PDF to fill out. So an email saying she wouldn't be filling it out would have been nice.

So anyway, she emailed me that she didn't think she had to fill it out, I emailed back that I thought it was considered legal-related employment (public defender's office), she emailed back that I wasn't a law student at the time so I wasn't a legal intern, I emailed back that I'd rather be safe than have my application delayed. No response. I finally called the 2nd department and got confirmation that they wanted two separate affidavits (the woman on the phone said this isn't uncommon, and people often give applicants a hard time about a form that should take less than 10 minutes to fill out). I emailed her again that I would be needing that affidavit as per the 2nd department. It arrived two days later. Total time between dropping it off and its return? Four weeks.

Undoubtedly you were not expecting my long story when you asked this question, but it's a lesson that the onus is on us to get those forms back and send reminders when necessary. Understandably, this is not at the top of anyone else's priority list. But given that NY's C&F process takes a while, and the holidays are rapidly approaching, I would not want to get stuck waiting another 2 weeks (or longer) for it.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:36 pm

ran12 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:Should I have got an email confirmation that my application had been received?

Fourth Dept.

I'm 2nd Dept but received an email for my C&F interview even though I've heard it's usually snail mail. Did some research and seems like email is not out of the ordinary.

How long between sending in completed application and getting a response?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:06 pm

encore1101 wrote:
ran12 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:Should I have got an email confirmation that my application had been received?

Fourth Dept.

I'm 2nd Dept but received an email for my C&F interview even though I've heard it's usually snail mail. Did some research and seems like email is not out of the ordinary.

Got email about a week after sending the app in. Interview was scheduled for the following week after the Orientation to Profession CLE. Just had the interview today and was approved for admission. There's a chance I'll be admitted in Dec now.

I think what helped was a combo of sending the app in right after passing bar, getting into the CLE a couple weeks after, and fact that I'm living out of state.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:11 pm

ran12 wrote:
encore1101 wrote:
ran12 wrote:

Fourth Dept.

Got email about a week after sending the app in. Interview was scheduled for the following week after the Orientation to Profession CLE. Just had the interview today and was approved for admission. There's a chance I'll be admitted in Dec now.

I think what helped was a combo of sending the app in right after passing bar, getting into the CLE a couple weeks after, and fact that I'm living out of state.

Congrats, hope it goes smoothly. I was under the impression that they weren't doing ceremonies (unless you plan on foregoing that) until after New Years.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:31 pm

encore1101 wrote:
Congrats, hope it goes smoothly. I was under the impression that they weren't doing ceremonies (unless you plan on foregoing that) until after New Years.

Thanks. I'm just going by what the C&F interview attorney told me so don't know what the actual policy is. Just glad I'm that much closer to being sworn in.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:20 am

whats this CLE??

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:34 am

northwood wrote:whats this CLE??

Second Department, I believe is the only one, require you to take a CLE "Orientation to the Profession" before you can be admitted.
http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/ad2/orientation.shtml

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:11 pm

I'm clerking far from New York this year, then going back in the fall of 2015 for BigLaw. Is there a good reason why I should apply now rather than when I get back? It seems like if I apply next year, I'll be able to skip a lot of flying back and forth.

anon2014

Postby anon2014 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:40 pm

thsmthcrmnl wrote:I'm clerking far from New York this year, then going back in the fall of 2015 for BigLaw. Is there a good reason why I should apply now rather than when I get back? It seems like if I apply next year, I'll be able to skip a lot of flying back and forth.

I'm struggling with this as well. I'm in the midwest, and not terribly near any airports. I already sent in my app before giving a whole lot of thought to how to make this work. Here's hoping admission dates are on Fridays, or something. Anyone have any insight?

sls3l

Postby sls3l » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:28 pm

Friends in 1st Dep, submitted completed app via FedEx on Thursday 11/13/2014 (received Friday, 11/14/2014); got interview email today, Monday, 11/17/2014.

Still haven't heard back from 3rd.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:05 am

thsmthcrmnl wrote:I'm clerking far from New York this year, then going back in the fall of 2015 for BigLaw. Is there a good reason why I should apply now rather than when I get back? It seems like if I apply next year, I'll be able to skip a lot of flying back and forth.

The only concern would the limited number of swearing in and interview opportunities they have. You don't want to show back up at your firm and say "Well I can't practice law for you right now because I waited to get sworn in until I got back to New York, and my interview isn't for another 3 weeks. Now where's that $50k bonus?"

As long as you time it right and make sure you are definitely sworn in before you start, no downside.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:44 am

Has anyone heard from fourth dept. yet?

blue920

Postby blue920 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:23 am

Just got a call about my C&F interview (2nd dept). Apparently they sent out a postcard telling me to schedule it, but since the attorney's going on vacation soon they preempted receipt of the postcard and called me. So it seems like we can be contacted a number of different ways to schedule this.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:07 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Has anyone heard from fourth dept. yet?

going to assume we wont hear anything till after thanksgiving

blue920

Postby blue920 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:16 pm

Alright, just got home from my C&F interview (2nd dept). It was really quick, maybe 10 minutes long, and they matched me with someone 15 minutes from my house, so that was convenient. We just talked about the legal profession and bar associations and being flexible about practice areas. He actually brought up the one traffic ticket I've had, but that was just because everyone in the area travels on that road and it's a big money maker for the cops there :)

Since I haven't taken the orientation to the profession course yet, I'm not eligible for the next admission ceremony on December 3rd and will probably be admitted in January. But he said they're rushing to get people who haven't done their pro bono hours admitted this year so they're not subject to the requirement. I have, so no rush, though it would have been nice to be admitted in December...but my course isn't until December 4th. Then the holidays are upon us, so it is what it is.

Yay for almost being done with NY!

kingofcream

Postby kingofcream » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Is anyone else's forms from the NY website automatically filling in blue instead of black text? Bizarre. Anyone familiar with Preview/Reader know how to change it to black? I don't mind the blue but my printer's out of color ink so I need it in black.

kingofcream

Postby kingofcream » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:17 pm

blue920 wrote:Alright, just got home from my C&F interview (2nd dept). It was really quick, maybe 10 minutes long, and they matched me with someone 15 minutes from my house, so that was convenient. We just talked about the legal profession and bar associations and being flexible about practice areas. He actually brought up the one traffic ticket I've had, but that was just because everyone in the area travels on that road and it's a big money maker for the cops there :)

Since I haven't taken the orientation to the profession course yet, I'm not eligible for the next admission ceremony on December 3rd and will probably be admitted in January. But he said they're rushing to get people who haven't done their pro bono hours admitted this year so they're not subject to the requirement. I have, so no rush, though it would have been nice to be admitted in December...but my course isn't until December 4th. Then the holidays are upon us, so it is what it is.

Can you really only be admitted via one of New York's scheduled ceremonies? My god even Jersey does it better than that-just got my oath card notarized.

blue920

Postby blue920 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:50 pm

kingofcream wrote:
blue920 wrote:Alright, just got home from my C&F interview (2nd dept). It was really quick, maybe 10 minutes long, and they matched me with someone 15 minutes from my house, so that was convenient. We just talked about the legal profession and bar associations and being flexible about practice areas. He actually brought up the one traffic ticket I've had, but that was just because everyone in the area travels on that road and it's a big money maker for the cops there :)

Can you really only be admitted via one of New York's scheduled ceremonies? My god even Jersey does it better than that-just got my oath card notarized.

No, I don't think you have to go to the ceremony, but my parents like all that...stuff (thinking of a different word here) so I might indulge them with one state and go to the ceremony. I got my NJ oath card notarized last week.

As for the NY forms, I don't know why it's filling in blue or how to change it, but couldn't you just print it in black and white?

kingofcream

Postby kingofcream » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:54 pm

kingofcream wrote:Is anyone else's forms from the NY website automatically filling in blue instead of black text? Bizarre. Anyone familiar with Preview/Reader know how to change it to black? I don't mind the blue but my printer's out of color ink so I need it in black.

Nvm-futzed around with it in Acrobat. For whatever reason, my printer still borks it even when printed in b&w

AJS30

Postby AJS30 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:38 pm

blue920 wrote:
AJS30 wrote:For those who have not received all your legal employment affidavits, how long are you giving these people? This one woman didn't answer me for a week so i sent her a follow up email last week, she apologized and said she never saw the first email and that she would fill out the paperwork for me. It is now a week later and still nothing. Emailed again today and no response. Do I call tomorrow or give another week? I really wanted to get this paperwork in and it's last thing I'm waiting for.

I had five legal employment affidavits to get filled out. I got back four of them within a week. I mailed out three of them on a Friday, sent a heads-up email to everyone anticipating a Monday arrival and also attaching the PDF. Monday morning, I already had two emails saying it was done, and all three arrived that week. I was like, this is a breeze, I don't know what everyone complains about. Famous last words.

The other two I dropped off in person, as I had done a pre-law school internship and a summer after 1L internship at the same place, but with different supervisors and different tasks. Also included return envelopes when dropping off. Got back the law internship one pretty quickly, and then was just waiting on the last one. And waiting...and waiting.

Unfortunately, I no longer had my supervisor's email (this internship was like 4 years ago) and I didn't want to be a nuisance and go over there again and then have that be the day it arrived in the mail. But two weeks go by and I finally call - no answer and I leave a message. Couple days later, I go over there and it turns out she just left on a two-week vacation! At least I finally got her email, so I send her an email asking very politely what happened to my affidavit.

She gets back from vacation and emails me that since I did two internships there, and the one she supervised was a pre-law one, she didn't think she had to do it and that's why I didn't get it back. When I dropped the form off, I said hello to her and then got sidetracked talking to my other former supervisor. By the time we were finished, she had gone to lunch, so I just left the form on her desk with a note explaining what it was and giving my email if she'd rather have me send her the PDF to fill out. So an email saying she wouldn't be filling it out would have been nice.

So anyway, she emailed me that she didn't think she had to fill it out, I emailed back that I thought it was considered legal-related employment (public defender's office), she emailed back that I wasn't a law student at the time so I wasn't a legal intern, I emailed back that I'd rather be safe than have my application delayed. No response. I finally called the 2nd department and got confirmation that they wanted two separate affidavits (the woman on the phone said this isn't uncommon, and people often give applicants a hard time about a form that should take less than 10 minutes to fill out). I emailed her again that I would be needing that affidavit as per the 2nd department. It arrived two days later. Total time between dropping it off and its return? Four weeks.

Undoubtedly you were not expecting my long story when you asked this question, but it's a lesson that the onus is on us to get those forms back and send reminders when necessary. Understandably, this is not at the top of anyone else's priority list. But given that NY's C&F process takes a while, and the holidays are rapidly approaching, I would not want to get stuck waiting another 2 weeks (or longer) for it.

So....sent another email on Monday and called today. Still NO response since November 4th. Idk what to do? I'm still unemployed and this is just adding to the anxiety.

blue920

Postby blue920 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:05 pm

AJS30 wrote:
blue920 wrote:

So....sent another email on Monday and called today. Still NO response since November 4th. Idk what to do? I'm still unemployed and this is just adding to the anxiety.

Are you close enough to go there in person? The second time I went in in the above situation, I printed out a fresh affidavit and knew there was a notary in the office. I was going to ask her to fill it out while I waited.

Otherwise - I guess call again?

840e

Postby 840e » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:54 pm

Chiming in that the 3rd Dept. is processing applications quickly. Submitted a few weeks back and have already received a response with January interview/swearing in. Impressed with the Dept's fast response.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:43 pm

4th dep't is also scheduling interviews and informing of the swearing in ceremony

bluecrab5448

Postby bluecrab5448 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:25 am

2nd Dept is doing a swearing-in ceremony on Dec 3, 2014 for those nuts that sent out their app the day they passed, scheduled and sat for their C&F interview, and took that mandatory CLE orientation program before Thanksgiving.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:53 am

All of this is just making me more resentful of the few people who haven't given me their affidavits yet. They're outside NY, so all I can do is email and call, while being mindful not to come off as too stalky.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”