NY Bar Exam Application

User avatar
kingofcream
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:52 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby kingofcream » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:00 pm

blue920 wrote:Urgh, that's annoying. I think I got my forms in pretty early, maybe that's why I'm done? Had those notarized forms and my driving abstracts in by April 11, then got fingerprinted on May 12. But I'm sure they'll finish the review soon! Are you going to immediately get yourself sworn in? I'm still deciding - there's a ceremony in Trenton on December 2 and while I hate all that ceremonial stuff, my parents love it. Maybe it'll fill up quickly and then I can honestly say I can't go, haha.

I'm worried about NY too. I think I got in everything and hopefully the woman from the 2nd dept would have told me if I hadn't, but there is SO MUCH PAPERWORK. I just sent in my OCA registration today and so I think everything's set except for that introduction to the profession course, which is not until December. I'd just like everything to be finished so I can be admitted and move on!


Well, I got my application in at the end of the first deadline, and got all the forms and fingerprinting in on time. So I'm not sure. Yeah I'm gonna get sworn in ASAP, probably not at a ceremony, although the ceremony seems to get you into DNJ right away so it might be worth it to not have to do that separately. Not that I'll be appearing in federal court any time soon 8)

You're lucky you're in the 2nd department, I'm in the first and we had to wait until *after* we found out we passed to send in the application and affidavits.

User avatar
blue920
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:06 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby blue920 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:56 pm

kingofcream wrote:
blue920 wrote:Urgh, that's annoying. I think I got my forms in pretty early, maybe that's why I'm done? Had those notarized forms and my driving abstracts in by April 11, then got fingerprinted on May 12. But I'm sure they'll finish the review soon! Are you going to immediately get yourself sworn in? I'm still deciding - there's a ceremony in Trenton on December 2 and while I hate all that ceremonial stuff, my parents love it. Maybe it'll fill up quickly and then I can honestly say I can't go, haha.

I'm worried about NY too. I think I got in everything and hopefully the woman from the 2nd dept would have told me if I hadn't, but there is SO MUCH PAPERWORK. I just sent in my OCA registration today and so I think everything's set except for that introduction to the profession course, which is not until December. I'd just like everything to be finished so I can be admitted and move on!


Well, I got my application in at the end of the first deadline, and got all the forms and fingerprinting in on time. So I'm not sure. Yeah I'm gonna get sworn in ASAP, probably not at a ceremony, although the ceremony seems to get you into DNJ right away so it might be worth it to not have to do that separately. Not that I'll be appearing in federal court any time soon 8)

You're lucky you're in the 2nd department, I'm in the first and we had to wait until *after* we found out we passed to send in the application and affidavits.


I sent mine in after, as it took me about a month to get one affidavit back (person didn't think she had to fill it in as I had two internships there about 2 years apart, and when I contacted her to find out where it was, she had just left on a two-week vacation) and by the time I finally got it back the results were coming out in a week. And the 2nd dept told me not to send it in until after. I didn't understand why, but someone here told me they have a habit of losing separate paperwork. Hopefully it's not too frequent, as I sent in my OCA form and an application addendum separately!

User avatar
kingofcream
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:52 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby kingofcream » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:52 pm

blue920 wrote:
kingofcream wrote:
blue920 wrote:Urgh, that's annoying. I think I got my forms in pretty early, maybe that's why I'm done? Had those notarized forms and my driving abstracts in by April 11, then got fingerprinted on May 12. But I'm sure they'll finish the review soon! Are you going to immediately get yourself sworn in? I'm still deciding - there's a ceremony in Trenton on December 2 and while I hate all that ceremonial stuff, my parents love it. Maybe it'll fill up quickly and then I can honestly say I can't go, haha.

I'm worried about NY too. I think I got in everything and hopefully the woman from the 2nd dept would have told me if I hadn't, but there is SO MUCH PAPERWORK. I just sent in my OCA registration today and so I think everything's set except for that introduction to the profession course, which is not until December. I'd just like everything to be finished so I can be admitted and move on!


Well, I got my application in at the end of the first deadline, and got all the forms and fingerprinting in on time. So I'm not sure. Yeah I'm gonna get sworn in ASAP, probably not at a ceremony, although the ceremony seems to get you into DNJ right away so it might be worth it to not have to do that separately. Not that I'll be appearing in federal court any time soon 8)

You're lucky you're in the 2nd department, I'm in the first and we had to wait until *after* we found out we passed to send in the application and affidavits.


I sent mine in after, as it took me about a month to get one affidavit back (person didn't think she had to fill it in as I had two internships there about 2 years apart, and when I contacted her to find out where it was, she had just left on a two-week vacation) and by the time I finally got it back the results were coming out in a week. And the 2nd dept told me not to send it in until after. I didn't understand why, but someone here told me they have a habit of losing separate paperwork. Hopefully it's not too frequent, as I sent in my OCA form and an application addendum separately!


Yeah NY has the most tedious C&F system I've heard of.

michael2015
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:28 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby michael2015 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:33 pm

If someone wants to entertain my stupidity. I am taking the NY bar from a school in Cali. My school has been unhelpful regarding deadlines and submissions so I've been following along with NYU and Buffalo's websites.

I just want to confirm that if I'm taking July 2015 that I don't have anything to do until April when registration opens and nothing for CF until post -bar (save for the pro bono req)

Just confirming bc CA has a bunch of stupid deadlines and fingerprinting stuff

Thanks

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13282
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby JenDarby » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:42 pm

michael2015 wrote:If someone wants to entertain my stupidity. I am taking the NY bar from a school in Cali. My school has been unhelpful regarding deadlines and submissions so I've been following along with NYU and Buffalo's websites.

I just want to confirm that if I'm taking July 2015 that I don't have anything to do until April when registration opens and nothing for CF until post -bar (save for the pro bono req)

Just confirming bc CA has a bunch of stupid deadlines and fingerprinting stuff

Thanks

You are correct. I went to Fordham, but I still used NYU's website as a guide since it really simplifies the process.

In April you will submit a form online which takes 10 minutes to fill out.

After you pass the bar then you can submit your application and C&F paperwork. Prior to finding out if you passed you can begin collecting moral character and employer affidavits and fill out the application questionnaire. This isn't required, but it will help ensure your application is processed and you can get sworn in ASAP in January.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:50 pm

JenDarby wrote:
michael2015 wrote:If someone wants to entertain my stupidity. I am taking the NY bar from a school in Cali. My school has been unhelpful regarding deadlines and submissions so I've been following along with NYU and Buffalo's websites.

I just want to confirm that if I'm taking July 2015 that I don't have anything to do until April when registration opens and nothing for CF until post -bar (save for the pro bono req)

Just confirming bc CA has a bunch of stupid deadlines and fingerprinting stuff

Thanks

You are correct. I went to Fordham, but I still used NYU's website as a guide since it really simplifies the process.

In April you will submit a form online which takes 10 minutes to fill out.

After you pass the bar then you can submit your application and C&F paperwork. Prior to finding out if you passed you can begin collecting moral character and employer affidavits and fill out the application questionnaire. This isn't required, but it will help ensure your application is processed and you can get sworn in ASAP in January.

The bolded is generally true, but if you should make sure when they place you in a department. If you're out of state, this will hold if the process remains the same. But if you move in state and get dropped in the fourth department, youre deadline will be much sooner. Again, that is assuming the process remains the same.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby northwood » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:20 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
michael2015 wrote:If someone wants to entertain my stupidity. I am taking the NY bar from a school in Cali. My school has been unhelpful regarding deadlines and submissions so I've been following along with NYU and Buffalo's websites.

I just want to confirm that if I'm taking July 2015 that I don't have anything to do until April when registration opens and nothing for CF until post -bar (save for the pro bono req)

Just confirming bc CA has a bunch of stupid deadlines and fingerprinting stuff

Thanks

You are correct. I went to Fordham, but I still used NYU's website as a guide since it really simplifies the process.

In April you will submit a form online which takes 10 minutes to fill out.

After you pass the bar then you can submit your application and C&F paperwork. Prior to finding out if you passed you can begin collecting moral character and employer affidavits and fill out the application questionnaire. This isn't required, but it will help ensure your application is processed and you can get sworn in ASAP in January.

The bolded is generally true, but if you should make sure when they place you in a department. If you're out of state, this will hold if the process remains the same. But if you move in state and get dropped in the fourth department, youre deadline will be much sooner. Again, that is assuming the process remains the same.



Yup 4th Dep't requires the entire application ( including LORS and employment/ pro bono) affidavits by October 3rd.

User avatar
kingofcream
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:52 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby kingofcream » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:34 pm

Well, this is very relevant to NY :roll: , but since many people take both together and I already discussed it on this thread: just got certified by the State of New Jersey! The only black marks against me were a speeding ticket and getting fired from a stupid college job (not for anything involving moral turpitude or fraud though, just being late too many times) yet I was freaking out. Hang in there people!

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:23 pm

northwood wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
michael2015 wrote:If someone wants to entertain my stupidity. I am taking the NY bar from a school in Cali. My school has been unhelpful regarding deadlines and submissions so I've been following along with NYU and Buffalo's websites.

I just want to confirm that if I'm taking July 2015 that I don't have anything to do until April when registration opens and nothing for CF until post -bar (save for the pro bono req)

Just confirming bc CA has a bunch of stupid deadlines and fingerprinting stuff

Thanks

You are correct. I went to Fordham, but I still used NYU's website as a guide since it really simplifies the process.

In April you will submit a form online which takes 10 minutes to fill out.

After you pass the bar then you can submit your application and C&F paperwork. Prior to finding out if you passed you can begin collecting moral character and employer affidavits and fill out the application questionnaire. This isn't required, but it will help ensure your application is processed and you can get sworn in ASAP in January.

The bolded is generally true, but if you should make sure when they place you in a department. If you're out of state, this will hold if the process remains the same. But if you move in state and get dropped in the fourth department, youre deadline will be much sooner. Again, that is assuming the process remains the same.



Yup 4th Dep't requires the entire application ( including LORS and employment/ pro bono) affidavits by October 3rd.

Yeah. That. I just think its worth noting because I had a terrible experience with the different timelines.

I lived out of state when I took the bar, moved in state, got auto dumped into Dep. 4 but continued getting emails telling me I had until like December 12. Figured it out on my own on September 29th when I thought I was getting a super early jump by sending out my employer and LS stuff.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13282
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby JenDarby » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:57 pm

Ah, thanks for that added info guys. I'm in 1st department and I also don't really care when I'm sworn in because I'm in-house and transactional.

People should definitely pay attention to their departments and deadlines if they are benefited by being licensed.

michael2015
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:28 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby michael2015 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:14 am

Thanks Everybody!

TLS > School.

User avatar
kingofcream
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:52 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby kingofcream » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:47 pm

JenDarby wrote:Ah, thanks for that added info guys. I'm in 1st department and I also don't really care when I'm sworn in because I'm in-house and transactional.

People should definitely pay attention to their departments and deadlines if they are benefited by being licensed.


Yeah the only people I know who need to be sworn in ASAP are prosecutors/PDs and people working for very small firms-the people who are going to be appearing in court and all that shit right away. For a lot of people an extra couple of months to be sworn in because they dragged their feet on their affidavits is nbd.

User avatar
nowinGA
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby nowinGA » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:04 am

OK. So I looked at the application last year...when I was planning to take the test, etc. I got super stressed out by the part where I had to list every placed I had lived for the past 10 years (because that's a LOT of places). I did so much research to find addresses of sublets, etc.

Anyway, yeah: that part is no longer on the new application. WTF.

That' all.

User avatar
notedgarfigaro
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby notedgarfigaro » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:59 pm

nowinGA wrote:OK. So I looked at the application last year...when I was planning to take the test, etc. I got super stressed out by the part where I had to list every placed I had lived for the past 10 years (because that's a LOT of places). I did so much research to find addresses of sublets, etc.

Anyway, yeah: that part is no longer on the new application. WTF.

That' all.


I did the same thing for another state's app, but all I did was just look at my Amazon orders over the years. Only way I was able to get my college addresses.

User avatar
blue920
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:06 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby blue920 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:25 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:
nowinGA wrote:OK. So I looked at the application last year...when I was planning to take the test, etc. I got super stressed out by the part where I had to list every placed I had lived for the past 10 years (because that's a LOT of places). I did so much research to find addresses of sublets, etc.

Anyway, yeah: that part is no longer on the new application. WTF.

That' all.


I did the same thing for another state's app, but all I did was just look at my Amazon orders over the years. Only way I was able to get my college addresses.


That is so clever, I wish I'd thought of that. I just checked and yep, every single Amazon order I've ever placed, going back to 2001, is there.

User avatar
kingofcream
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:52 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby kingofcream » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:03 pm

blue920 wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:
nowinGA wrote:OK. So I looked at the application last year...when I was planning to take the test, etc. I got super stressed out by the part where I had to list every placed I had lived for the past 10 years (because that's a LOT of places). I did so much research to find addresses of sublets, etc.

Anyway, yeah: that part is no longer on the new application. WTF.

That' all.


I did the same thing for another state's app, but all I did was just look at my Amazon orders over the years. Only way I was able to get my college addresses.


That is so clever, I wish I'd thought of that. I just checked and yep, every single Amazon order I've ever placed, going back to 2001, is there.


Yeah, I probably would've had to give up on being a lawyer if it weren't for all my Amazon orders over the years!

inkincorporate
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby inkincorporate » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:32 pm

How long after I submit my application can I expect that I will get an interview? Also, I wasn't able to get a seat to that introduction to the profession thing. Will that delay my application, and when do seats open up again?

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:49 pm

Should I have got an email confirmation that my application had been received?

Fourth Dept.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby ran12 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:30 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Should I have got an email confirmation that my application had been received?

Fourth Dept.


I'm 2nd Dept but received an email for my C&F interview even though I've heard it's usually snail mail. Did some research and seems like email is not out of the ordinary.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:40 pm

ran12 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:Should I have got an email confirmation that my application had been received?

Fourth Dept.


I'm 2nd Dept but received an email for my C&F interview even though I've heard it's usually snail mail. Did some research and seems like email is not out of the ordinary.

I havent gotten any confirmation and thats concerning me.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby northwood » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:23 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Should I have got an email confirmation that my application had been received?

Fourth Dept.



heard nothing either.. but im not worried, I mean we only found out that we passed 2 weeks ago, and they have to review all of the applications then schedule the interview, then contact us... so like everything else associated with law school/ bar exam im chalking this up to "hurry up and wait" as well.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:28 pm

Cool. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt alone. Ill calm down.

sls3l
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby sls3l » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:47 pm

3rd Dep.

Submitted app today.

When can I reasonably expect to hear back re: interview date?

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:31 pm

sls3l wrote:3rd Dep.

Submitted app today.

When can I reasonably expect to hear back re: interview date?

I dont think anyone is going to be able to give you an honest, realistic answer to that.

AJS30
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby AJS30 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:50 pm

For those who have not received all your legal employment affidavits, how long are you giving these people? This one woman didn't answer me for a week so i sent her a follow up email last week, she apologized and said she never saw the first email and that she would fill out the paperwork for me. It is now a week later and still nothing. Emailed again today and no response. Do I call tomorrow or give another week? I really wanted to get this paperwork in and it's last thing I'm waiting for.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], iwantmybar and 8 guests