NY Bar Exam Application

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:32 pm

Another question: do the law school certs and handwriting samples need to be submitted with the initial application, or is that for C&F later?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:09 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:CLE for NJ doesn't transfer and must be done in NJ (IIRC). Womp
Although there are plenty of reasons to decide against taking the NJ bar, this isn't one of them.

"New Jersey attorneys who are satisfying the CLE requirement of another mandatory CLE state or who take courses approved for CLE by another state will receive 1:1 credit for courses approved in that jurisdiction through reciprocity."

In addition to reciprocity, you can take up to half of your CLE credits (per compliance period) through "videotape, audiotape, remote-place viewing, on-line Internet computer presentations, webinars, webcasts, podcasts, satellite simulcasts, teleconferences, videoconferences, [or] Internet computer self-study."

But, there are some more particular requirements for newly admitted attorneys. Basically, IMO, it sounds like the requirements for newly admitted attorneys are a bit of a pain (particularly if you'll be practicing primarily in another jurisdiction), but it looks like it gets much easier after your first couple years of practice.

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/cle/att_faq.htm

User avatar
petsoundspop
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:17 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby petsoundspop » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:18 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:Another question: do the law school certs and handwriting samples need to be submitted with the initial application, or is that for C&F later?


As I recall, I submitted the handwriting sample soon after the initial application and the law school certification in August, after the July examination.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:18 am

petsoundspop wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:Another question: do the law school certs and handwriting samples need to be submitted with the initial application, or is that for C&F later?


As I recall, I submitted the handwriting sample soon after the initial application and the law school certification in August, after the July examination.


TYTYTYTY. The app opens on Sunday, so I'll probably get it done then or Monday and send the sample next week. Im out of state, but I really hope I get a non-NYC location...sounds so much more relaxing. I also hope hotels in Albany don't sell out in like two days after the app opens :|

User avatar
petsoundspop
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:17 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby petsoundspop » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:55 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:
petsoundspop wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:Another question: do the law school certs and handwriting samples need to be submitted with the initial application, or is that for C&F later?


As I recall, I submitted the handwriting sample soon after the initial application and the law school certification in August, after the July examination.


TYTYTYTY. The app opens on Sunday, so I'll probably get it done then or Monday and send the sample next week. Im out of state, but I really hope I get a non-NYC location...sounds so much more relaxing. I also hope hotels in Albany don't sell out in like two days after the app opens :|


I was worried about the selling out of hotels too. So I booked a room at the Hilton Garden Inn way before knowing my test date. They had a 72 hour cancellation policy so as soon as I got my assignment and new room booked, I cancelled it. It was just for my mental sanity. Believe me, stressing about a hotel room is the last thing you need to be worrying about once bar prep starts. I wouldn't worry about getting a non-NYC location since they fill up so fast. The only real advantage of NYC I saw was the obviously better bar-hopping options after the test or being able to hop over to Newark for day 3 (only relevant if you're taking NJ too, which I wasn't).

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:21 am

How many nights did you stay? If I missed that in an earlier poast, my b. I'm looking at Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday nights. TYBG for firm bar reimbursements.

User avatar
petsoundspop
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:17 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby petsoundspop » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:52 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:How many nights did you stay? If I missed that in an earlier poast, my b. I'm looking at Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday nights. TYBG for firm bar reimbursements.


I stayed four because I am extra paranoid by nature and wanted to be able to unwind for a day, hit the gym, etc. before the test started. Looking back however, three nights is absolutely fine.

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Georgiana » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:24 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:How many nights did you stay? If I missed that in an earlier poast, my b. I'm looking at Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday nights. TYBG for firm bar reimbursements.

You should check with the firm before relying on reimbursement. Mine would only pay for 2 nights if you were only doing 2 days for the exam.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:20 pm

Georgiana wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:How many nights did you stay? If I missed that in an earlier poast, my b. I'm looking at Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday nights. TYBG for firm bar reimbursements.

You should check with the firm before relying on reimbursement. Mine would only pay for 2 nights if you were only doing 2 days for the exam.


Good point. I've confirmed, but for future readers/poasters, make sure to check.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:04 pm

Wholigan wrote:Does anyone happen to know how it works if you take the NY/NJ bar (as a NJ resident) which I believe involves two days in NY, and then one day in NJ? Would they give you a concession to take it in Manhattan? Normally I wouldn't mind taking it in Albany or Buffalo, but it seems like a pain to have to test all day upstate and then travel to NJ for the next morning.


Sister and the fiance both did two days in Manhattan and then the last day in Secaucus (he's from NY but she's from NJ and somehow managed to get into the Manhattan site). I'm also going to take NY and NJ next year and I'll deal with the NJ CLE requirements :P.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:49 am

If you can get to the link early enough, you should be able to take the bar in Manhattan no matter what department you're in. It's another question, though, whether you should. Javitz sucks.

Edit: I crashed on a friend's couch for both nights. I also crammed the last two weeks and did jackshit before that. And I passed (though barely, haha). Don't be paranoid. Bar's not that hard.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Sup Kid » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:55 am

Fresh Prince wrote:If you can get to the link early enough, you should be able to take the bar in Manhattan no matter what department you're in.

How long after registering do they send out the link? Is it after registration closes (after 4/30) to everyone at once, or are you better off registering early to get the link earlier?

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Georgiana » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:21 am

Sup Kid wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:If you can get to the link early enough, you should be able to take the bar in Manhattan no matter what department you're in.

How long after registering do they send out the link? Is it after registration closes (after 4/30) to everyone at once, or are you better off registering early to get the link earlier?

I got my test center confirmation June 8th and I think that was a day or two after the link came out. They use the same link each year so you just need to constantly check it once you think its "time" (that's how you "get it early"). A friend sent it to me via gchat so I don't have it anymore, but I'm sure you can find it somewhere. The site generally crashes as soon as the link is emailed which is why getting it before the email is imperative if you want Manhattan and don't live there.

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby legends159 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:39 am

Thanks for the info

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby dresden doll » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:45 am

petsoundspop wrote:No prob, dude. I had a lot of trouble finding this info when I was going through the process, so I wanted to pay it forward. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the bar exam itself (although it's still a little early for you 3Ls).


Chiming in to say thanks as well. That was really informative.

User avatar
petsoundspop
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:17 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby petsoundspop » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:28 pm

Georgiana wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:If you can get to the link early enough, you should be able to take the bar in Manhattan no matter what department you're in.

How long after registering do they send out the link? Is it after registration closes (after 4/30) to everyone at once, or are you better off registering early to get the link earlier?

I got my test center confirmation June 8th and I think that was a day or two after the link came out. They use the same link each year so you just need to constantly check it once you think its "time" (that's how you "get it early"). A friend sent it to me via gchat so I don't have it anymore, but I'm sure you can find it somewhere. The site generally crashes as soon as the link is emailed which is why getting it before the email is imperative if you want Manhattan and don't live there.


Wow, good looking out! I had no idea they used the same link every year. By the time I got the link, the site had already crashed for quite some time. 'Manhattan' came up for a second and then when I clicked on it the site crashed again. It seems like this happens every year and they just accept the fact that their site is going to crash. I had to refresh the page for like 30 minutes before getting Albany.

I remember BarBri the day after where some people were screaming bloody murder "I've got Buffalo! Buffalo!".

User avatar
petsoundspop
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:17 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby petsoundspop » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:32 pm

dresden doll wrote:
petsoundspop wrote:No prob, dude. I had a lot of trouble finding this info when I was going through the process, so I wanted to pay it forward. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the bar exam itself (although it's still a little early for you 3Ls).


Chiming in to say thanks as well. That was really informative.


No prob. The whole process of the Bar can be overwhelming but it really isn't that bad. If you put in the effort, you will pass. One of the hardest things is adjusting your mental attitude from law school to the bar exam. You are so used to gunning for top grades in law school that it's hard to understand intellectually that the Bar is a test of minimum competency, and that a D+ is all you are shooting for. You all will pass, I can feel it!

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:49 pm

Georgiana wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:If you can get to the link early enough, you should be able to take the bar in Manhattan no matter what department you're in.

How long after registering do they send out the link? Is it after registration closes (after 4/30) to everyone at once, or are you better off registering early to get the link earlier?

I got my test center confirmation June 8th and I think that was a day or two after the link came out. They use the same link each year so you just need to constantly check it once you think its "time" (that's how you "get it early"). A friend sent it to me via gchat so I don't have it anymore, but I'm sure you can find it somewhere. The site generally crashes as soon as the link is emailed which is why getting it before the email is imperative if you want Manhattan and don't live there.


So submitting the application (which opens tomorrow) doesn't impact test center priority? I just want to go Albany, get my hotel squared away, and be done with it.

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby legends159 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:38 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:If you can get to the link early enough, you should be able to take the bar in Manhattan no matter what department you're in.

How long after registering do they send out the link? Is it after registration closes (after 4/30) to everyone at once, or are you better off registering early to get the link earlier?

I got my test center confirmation June 8th and I think that was a day or two after the link came out. They use the same link each year so you just need to constantly check it once you think its "time" (that's how you "get it early"). A friend sent it to me via gchat so I don't have it anymore, but I'm sure you can find it somewhere. The site generally crashes as soon as the link is emailed which is why getting it before the email is imperative if you want Manhattan and don't live there.


So submitting the application (which opens tomorrow) doesn't impact test center priority? I just want to go Albany, get my hotel squared away, and be done with it.


You get an email after registration closes and in that email you are linked to a page where you choose the testing center.

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby legends159 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:54 pm

Also, how is residency determined? Essentially are the only people who are considered in-state are those who go to law school in NY? What if your permanent residence is NY but you're in law school in CA?

edit: I called and you put your legal residence at the time of the application. So if you're from NY and are OOS for school but intend to move back to NY you can put your NY address.
Last edited by legends159 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:56 am

i just filled out this app but am an idiot. i am not sure if i read the question correctly about employment in ny. what was it asking?

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:i just filled out this app but am an idiot. i am not sure if i read the question correctly about employment in ny. what was it asking?

I believe it was something along the lines of "are you presently employed in NY, and if so, where?"

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:26 am

thanks thought so!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:02 pm

I'm a bit confused by "total credits awarded." Does this include credits for classes we're current enrolled in, but haven't finished yet? And I know different law schools use different credit systems: does this not matter?

I ask in part because my law school requires more than 100 credits for graduation and 100 is the maximum in the dropdown menu.

Rams55
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:19 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Rams55 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:17 pm

Is Manhattan the competitive location? I want Albany--taking MA and NY--and I was hoping to just make a hotel reservation in a local Albany hotel well ahead of time. What are the chances that I don't actually get Albany?




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests