NY Bar Exam Application

dixiecupdrinking

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:36 pm

quakeroats wrote:Question 7b:

Are you now, or have you ever been, engaged on your own account or with others in any occupation, business, or profession, other than law, in the State of New York or elsewhere?

If Yes, give in detail the nature and location thereof and the month and year of the beginning and ending of your engagement in or connection therewith. If any such business was carried on by you in partnership with others, give the names and addresses of all partners and the nature of the business. If the business was carried on by a corporation in which you held any office state its name, address, nature of the business and your connection with it.

What's everyone putting for this? This seems targeted at organization's one has actually founded but would seem to include every employer too.

I had the same question. The app is horribly written. I guess it can't hurt just to list places you were employed, and wouldn't be too hard.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:35 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:

Are you now, or have you ever been, engaged on your own account or with others in any occupation, business, or profession, other than law, in the State of New York or elsewhere?

If Yes, give in detail the nature and location thereof and the month and year of the beginning and ending of your engagement in or connection therewith. If any such business was carried on by you in partnership with others, give the names and addresses of all partners and the nature of the business. If the business was carried on by a corporation in which you held any office state its name, address, nature of the business and your connection with it.

What's everyone putting for this? This seems targeted at organization's one has actually founded but would seem to include every employer too.

I had the same question. The app is horribly written. I guess it can't hurt just to list places you were employed, and wouldn't be too hard.

Sure, except they just asked for that.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:19 am

quakeroats wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

Sure, except they just asked for that.

I called and they told me, even though it isn't written this way, it means only companies/partnerships you founded. The lady who answered apparently got the question a lot because she stopped me from reading it once I said the number and just told me that; however, don't take my word for it and if you have a question call them so you have an official source of the information-not some guy on the internet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:45 am

What is the deadline to submit all the C&F forms for the First Department? I was still registered with the Third Department when I got an e-mail about the deadlines.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:57 am

About what time of day can you expect to finish the second day of the bar exam? Did you all fly out out that night or wait until the next morning?

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:43 pm

badaboom61 wrote:About what time of day can you expect to finish the second day of the bar exam? Did you all fly out out that night or wait until the next morning?

I finished like 30-40 minutes before call time. Started drinking immediately on the Amtrak back to MFH.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:45 pm

badaboom61 wrote:About what time of day can you expect to finish the second day of the bar exam? Did you all fly out out that night or wait until the next morning?

if you are going to fly out, id book the ticket for the next day. why give yourself one more thing to potentially stress over??

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:53 pm

northwood wrote:

if you are going to fly out, id book the ticket for the next day. why give yourself one more thing to potentially stress over??

This. But try to get ppl to stay with you/fly out together if taking in upstate because all those towns are depressing as fukk.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:36 pm

northwood wrote:

I'm on a tight moving schedule right after the bar is over, so it'd be awesome to go home same day if its feasible (I have no idea what time the exam finishes). Any chance of making a 5:30 flight or would it be better just to wait until the next morning?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:40 pm

badaboom61 wrote:
northwood wrote:

I'm on a tight moving schedule right after the bar is over, so it'd be awesome to go home same day if its feasible (I have no idea what time the exam finishes). Any chance of making a 5:30 flight or would it be better just to wait until the next morning?

I believe the exam finished at 5pm, so unless you finished early and dipped, there's no chance you could make a 530 flight

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:54 pm

5ky wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:
northwood wrote:

I believe the exam finished at 5pm, so unless you finished early and dipped, there's no chance you could make a 530 flight

Exactly what I wanted to know; appreciated!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:47 am

Anyone else get a letter about swearing in? They conduct character and fitness on Thursday, Jan 23rd, and swear you in later that day. $375 fee though, and flight/hotel and taking like three days off work. Kind of a pain in the ass.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:13 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Anyone else get a letter about swearing in? They conduct character and fitness on Thursday, Jan 23rd, and swear you in later that day. $375 fee though, and flight/hotel and taking like three days off work. Kind of a pain in the ass.

When did you send in your application? Also, congrats on getting it done so quickly. I just sent mine yesterday but most of the people in my class still have not sent out their affidavits yet.

Why the three days off work? I was hoping to run up one evening after work (from NYC) and run down the next. Is that not doable?

But yeah, it's a PITA.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:17 am

swc65 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Anyone else get a letter about swearing in? They conduct character and fitness on Thursday, Jan 23rd, and swear you in later that day. $375 fee though, and flight/hotel and taking like three days off work. Kind of a pain in the ass.

When did you send in your application? Also, congrats on getting it done so quickly. I just sent mine yesterday but most of the people in my class still have not sent out their affidavits yet.

Why the three days off work? I was hoping to run up one evening after work (from NYC) and run down the next. Is that not doable?

But yeah, it's a PITA.

I got mine in around October, and then sent in evidence of passing the bar the day after we got results. But, I actually work in DC - so to be there by Thursday at 9, I'd have to leave Wens. morning if I drive, or wens. evening if I fly. And then driving back Thursday would be unmanageable, and flying seems kind of exhausting.

sarahbobara

Postby sarahbobara » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi Everyone, I hope people still read this thread - otherwise, I am going to start asking my law school friends who have taken the exam. I completed the February Bar application as an out-of-towner.

I have two main questions:
1) how soon after the application period ended were the seat choices released? They said to look out for an email shortly after it closes, and it closed on November 30th.

2) if anybody has taken the February exam in the past, were there any leftover available seats in Manhattan? The woman on the phone at the bar examiners told me hey would come out with another email, and it would be "first come first serve" for Manhattan. Since less than half of those who take the NY July exam take the February exam, I hope that means there will be available seats, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'd prefer to stay in Manhattan as I have many friends who live there and can crash there and then go visit with people after the exam :)

Thanks people

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:26 pm

This isn't quite on-topic but people ITT may know the answer. What is the start date for barbri prep for the NY bar?

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:37 pm

androstan wrote:This isn't quite on-topic but people ITT may know the answer. What is the start date for barbri prep for the NY bar?

Last year it was late in May.

Lady Finch

Postby Lady Finch » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:33 pm

tag

Harpua

Postby Harpua » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:48 pm

So this might seem like a really dumb question but I am extremely confused: What does the online application consist of? Also, is that all you need to initially sit for the bar exam, or do you also need to send in the forms at this link (http://www.nybarexam.org/Admission/Admi ... Packet.htm) PRIOR to taking the bar exam?

owlofminerva

Postby owlofminerva » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:07 pm

Harpua wrote:So this might seem like a really dumb question but I am extremely confused: What does the online application consist of? Also, is that all you need to initially sit for the bar exam, or do you also need to send in the forms at this link (http://www.nybarexam.org/Admission/Admi ... Packet.htm) PRIOR to taking the bar exam?

The online application is from the same website and is only to initially sit for the bar exam. It is a pretty quick form that essentially asks all of the information to ensure you are qualified to sit for the upcoming exam. The online application is only available for about a month during each exam's registration window and is not otherwise open.

The forms in your link are for the character and fitness portion of your bar admission and are turned in after the exam (after that, it is department-specific: the First Department requires you to wait until you get the exam scores before you can submit the C&F packet; some of the others permit you to submit after the exam but before score release).

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:19 pm

do you have to apply for BOLE number, or is a number assigned to you when you complete your application??

Harpua

Postby Harpua » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:54 pm

owlofminerva wrote:
Harpua wrote:So this might seem like a really dumb question but I am extremely confused: What does the online application consist of? Also, is that all you need to initially sit for the bar exam, or do you also need to send in the forms at this link (http://www.nybarexam.org/Admission/Admi ... Packet.htm) PRIOR to taking the bar exam?

The online application is from the same website and is only to initially sit for the bar exam. It is a pretty quick form that essentially asks all of the information to ensure you are qualified to sit for the upcoming exam. The online application is only available for about a month during each exam's registration window and is not otherwise open.

The forms in your link are for the character and fitness portion of your bar admission and are turned in after the exam (after that, it is department-specific: the First Department requires you to wait until you get the exam scores before you can submit the C&F packet; some of the others permit you to submit after the exam but before score release).

Thanks for the response. The NYBOLE does an insanely poor job of explaining this, and the application procedure in general. I was just wondering whether or not I needed to fill out the character and fitness portion prior to the 4/30 deadline.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:16 pm

northwood wrote:do you have to apply for BOLE number, or is a number assigned to you when you complete your application??

If memory serves, you get the BOLE ID first and then use that to apply. There should be instructions somewhere on how to get it, but others are right, they do not lay out the process well at all.

owlofminerva

Postby owlofminerva » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:19 pm

northwood wrote:do you have to apply for BOLE number, or is a number assigned to you when you complete your application??

You get your BOLE number after doing the online application to sit for the exam. Once you are registered, you will get an email with your BOLE number on it.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:44 pm

owlofminerva wrote:

You get your BOLE number after doing the online application to sit for the exam. Once you are registered, you will get an email with your BOLE number on it.

Unless they changed it from last year, you have to get the BOLE account first. I did this on like 3/31, and got my BOLE ID as a part of it.

This is the email I got from Barbri about it (an underrated benefit of having signed up early was I actually got emails from Barbri telling me about deadlines and what to do):

Dear BARBRI student,

As a reminder, the application period for the July 2013 bar exam opens on Monday, April 1, 2013 and closes at 11:59 pm on Tuesday, April 30, 2013. Prior to completing the online bar exam application, please note the following important reminders provided by the NY Board of Law Examiners on their website (http://www.nybarexam.org):
Create a BOLE Account: First-time applicants must create a BOLE account using a valid email address. Re-Applicants must use their existing BOLE accounts.
NCBE Identification Number: Prior to completing the online application to sit for the bar examination, all applicants and re-applicants must obtain an NCBE identification number. If you are a re-applicant and you already have an NCBE Number, do not request a new number as your existing NCBE Number will be saved from your previous application. Please visit http://www.ncbex.org/ncbe-number and complete the brief application to receive your NCBE Number. The Board will verify with NCBE the validity of the NCBE Number that you enter on your application. If you enter an invalid NCBE Number, your application may be nullified, and you may be subject to misconduct for furnishing misleading or inaccurate information.

HOWEVER, reading the bar website now makes it seem like you get your BOLE ID from the actual application, so I dunno.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”