NY Bar Exam Application

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby quakeroats » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:19 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
SprangTyme wrote:I am an out of state resident who took the bar in Manhattan, so I assumed I would be applying to and sending all my C&F stuff to the first department. But the email I got the other day was from the third department. Does anyone know if they determine the department you're assigned to based on residency or exam location? And does anyone know if I should be preparing my stuff for the First or Third division? It's only relevant because every other division besides the First can start sending their stuff in now. First is supposed to wait until the exam results come out.

It's based on your address, not where you took the bar. If you work or live in the First Department, and want to be in the First Department for your swearing-in, you can submit a form to switch departments (but you need to provide a Manhattan address, either home or work). Otherwise, you're in the Third already and that's where you'll remain.


Same issue. Is it better to submit everything to the third department now and switch to the first later or wait and submit everything to the first department?

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Sup Kid » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:19 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:
SprangTyme wrote:I am an out of state resident who took the bar in Manhattan, so I assumed I would be applying to and sending all my C&F stuff to the first department. But the email I got the other day was from the third department. Does anyone know if they determine the department you're assigned to based on residency or exam location? And does anyone know if I should be preparing my stuff for the First or Third division? It's only relevant because every other division besides the First can start sending their stuff in now. First is supposed to wait until the exam results come out.

It's based on your address, not where you took the bar. If you work or live in the First Department, and want to be in the First Department for your swearing-in, you can submit a form to switch departments (but you need to provide a Manhattan address, either home or work). Otherwise, you're in the Third already and that's where you'll remain.


Same issue. Is it better to submit everything to the third department now and switch to the first later or wait and submit everything to the first department?

Just switch now if you live/work in Manhattan. You'll be in the first department well before results come back in November. It really just depends where you want to have your swearing-in.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby quakeroats » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:49 am

Sup Kid wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:
SprangTyme wrote:I am an out of state resident who took the bar in Manhattan, so I assumed I would be applying to and sending all my C&F stuff to the first department. But the email I got the other day was from the third department. Does anyone know if they determine the department you're assigned to based on residency or exam location? And does anyone know if I should be preparing my stuff for the First or Third division? It's only relevant because every other division besides the First can start sending their stuff in now. First is supposed to wait until the exam results come out.

It's based on your address, not where you took the bar. If you work or live in the First Department, and want to be in the First Department for your swearing-in, you can submit a form to switch departments (but you need to provide a Manhattan address, either home or work). Otherwise, you're in the Third already and that's where you'll remain.


Same issue. Is it better to submit everything to the third department now and switch to the first later or wait and submit everything to the first department?

Just switch now if you live/work in Manhattan. You'll be in the first department well before results come back in November. It really just depends where you want to have your swearing-in.


From what I can tell, the first department doesn't take apps until bar results come back. All other departments do. Does submitting in the third speed things up at all over switching to the first now and waiting?

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:03 am

quakeroats wrote:From what I can tell, the first department doesn't take apps until bar results come back. All other departments do. Does submitting in the third speed things up at all over switching to the first now and waiting?

If you submit your first department app within a month of receiving your results (so by early December) you'll be sworn in during February (think I submitted mine December 4th and my swearing in was the first week of February). Don't think the third department is much faster, but I'll let others who did that speak to their timeline

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby tfer2222 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:15 pm

I just got back from some post-bar traveling and have yet to begin on this C&F stuff. Am I already really behind most people?? I'm really clueless at this point as to this stuff so far

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6367
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby 5ky » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:25 pm

tfer2222 wrote:I just got back from some post-bar traveling and have yet to begin on this C&F stuff. Am I already really behind most people?? I'm really clueless at this point as to this stuff so far


Nah haven't looked at it yet, just getting settled

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:27 pm

The aff's have to be prepared within 60 days of your application being submitted, right? So it's just now getting to be a reasonable time to get that stuff together?

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby tfer2222 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:28 pm

5ky wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:I just got back from some post-bar traveling and have yet to begin on this C&F stuff. Am I already really behind most people?? I'm really clueless at this point as to this stuff so far


Nah haven't looked at it yet, just getting settled


settled into nyc? hope your apt search wasn't as painful as mine.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273168
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:10 am

I'm a bit confused. I was an out of state taker, so right now they have me in 3rd dept, but I'll be living in Queens and working in Manhattan. I wrote them a letter giving them both new residential and new work address so that they can place me into proper dept. Would it be the 1st dept (based on my work address)? Or does the fact that I live in Queens mean its a different dept? Also, do I wait until after I hear back from them about my new department placement? I've been filling out this questionnaire but can't submit it until I know what dept I'm in.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a bit confused. I was an out of state taker, so right now they have me in 3rd dept, but I'll be living in Queens and working in Manhattan. I wrote them a letter giving them both new residential and new work address so that they can place me into proper dept. Would it be the 1st dept (based on my work address)? Or does the fact that I live in Queens mean its a different dept? Also, do I wait until after I hear back from them about my new department placement? I've been filling out this questionnaire but can't submit it until I know what dept I'm in.

I believe all NYC is 1st Dept. So no Queens/Manhattan difference. And yeah, you would probably wait to submit the form, particularly because if you do get transferred to 1st department, you can't submit the form early. If you just stay with 3rd, you can probably submit it now.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:19 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a bit confused. I was an out of state taker, so right now they have me in 3rd dept, but I'll be living in Queens and working in Manhattan. I wrote them a letter giving them both new residential and new work address so that they can place me into proper dept. Would it be the 1st dept (based on my work address)? Or does the fact that I live in Queens mean its a different dept? Also, do I wait until after I hear back from them about my new department placement? I've been filling out this questionnaire but can't submit it until I know what dept I'm in.

I believe all NYC is 1st Dept. So no Queens/Manhattan difference. And yeah, you would probably wait to submit the form, particularly because if you do get transferred to 1st department, you can't submit the form early. If you just stay with 3rd, you can probably submit it now.

No, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island are 2d.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273168
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:28 am

So would I be 1st dept. based on the work address I provided (I will be working in Manhattan)? Or is it solely based on residence (which is Queens)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273168
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:32 am

Also, do all the supplemental things get submitted after the questionnaire? I can get law school certs, the employer affidavits, and moral character forms all done, but I'm not sure if they should be sent in before the questionaire itself.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:39 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a bit confused. I was an out of state taker, so right now they have me in 3rd dept, but I'll be living in Queens and working in Manhattan. I wrote them a letter giving them both new residential and new work address so that they can place me into proper dept. Would it be the 1st dept (based on my work address)? Or does the fact that I live in Queens mean its a different dept? Also, do I wait until after I hear back from them about my new department placement? I've been filling out this questionnaire but can't submit it until I know what dept I'm in.

I believe all NYC is 1st Dept. So no Queens/Manhattan difference. And yeah, you would probably wait to submit the form, particularly because if you do get transferred to 1st department, you can't submit the form early. If you just stay with 3rd, you can probably submit it now.

No, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island are 2d.

Ohh, you are correct. Sorry for the bad advice dude. I could've sworn they were all one. But, you can probably call the Bar, and they might be able to help clarify what you should do.

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby tfer2222 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:22 pm

So I just submitted a change of address request to my new NYC address.

Will they probably automatically switch me into the 1st department then? I can't decide if I should be rushing to get this paperwork filled out or not.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, do all the supplemental things get submitted after the questionnaire? I can get law school certs, the employer affidavits, and moral character forms all done, but I'm not sure if they should be sent in before the questionaire itself.

Law school sends its thing in separately; employment and character affidavits get sent in with the questionnaire. This is all in the instructions.

asdfffff
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:32 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby asdfffff » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Have the letters certifying people to the departments gone out yet?

I received an email from the 3rd department a couple weeks ago telling my to start getting things together, but the letter said nothing about "certifying" me to that department. After I got that email, I moved to Manhattan and changed my address with the board. My change of address email said that my anticipated department is the 1st department. It seems like almost everyone got that email from the third department; was it just some sort of informational email?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273168
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:48 pm

About 2 weeks ago, I wrote a letter to Albany, telling them that my new residence is Queens, and new work address is in Manhattan. Haven't gotten any confirmation of new department placement. I called up Albany, and she said she is pretty sure my placement will be based on work address (which would be 1st). But she wasn't totally sure. So now idk if I have to rush or not to get this stuff together since I don't even know what department I will be placed into. If 1st, I can't even do this stuff until later. Anyone else write them but not hear back? And can anyone confirm that having a work address in Manhattan is enough for 1st dept. placement?

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby northwood » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:58 pm

is it 60 days from when we want to take the exam?( haven't clicked the link yet, but should probably start to at least think about applying to take the NY bar exam)

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6367
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby 5ky » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:About 2 weeks ago, I wrote a letter to Albany, telling them that my new residence is Queens, and new work address is in Manhattan. Haven't gotten any confirmation of new department placement. I called up Albany, and she said she is pretty sure my placement will be based on work address (which would be 1st). But she wasn't totally sure. So now idk if I have to rush or not to get this stuff together since I don't even know what department I will be placed into. If 1st, I can't even do this stuff until later. Anyone else write them but not hear back? And can anyone confirm that having a work address in Manhattan is enough for 1st dept. placement?


You should do it online; i submitted mine online and was processed and confirmed the next day

Anonymous User
Posts: 273168
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Just called Albany. Of course, they never got my letter. And now the person is telling me the complete opposite information, saying appellate division placement is based entirely on place of residence, which takes precedence over employment address (last week, the woman I spoke with said, as long as I had a Manhattan work address, I would be placed into 1st appellate division). What incompetent fools they have up there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273168
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:22 pm

5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:About 2 weeks ago, I wrote a letter to Albany, telling them that my new residence is Queens, and new work address is in Manhattan. Haven't gotten any confirmation of new department placement. I called up Albany, and she said she is pretty sure my placement will be based on work address (which would be 1st). But she wasn't totally sure. So now idk if I have to rush or not to get this stuff together since I don't even know what department I will be placed into. If 1st, I can't even do this stuff until later. Anyone else write them but not hear back? And can anyone confirm that having a work address in Manhattan is enough for 1st dept. placement?


You should do it online; i submitted mine online and was processed and confirmed the next day


I should have done this in the first place. I just did the online change of address, and called up the 2nd department, who confirmed to me that, since I live in Queens, I will be in 2nd department. At least I know now that I can get moving with those documents. Shame I wasted 2 weeks since Albany gave me the wrong info.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273168
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just called Albany. Of course, they never got my letter. And now the person is telling me the complete opposite information, saying appellate division placement is based entirely on place of residence, which takes precedence over employment address (last week, the woman I spoke with said, as long as I had a Manhattan work address, I would be placed into 1st appellate division). What incompetent fools they have up there.


Both my place of residence and work address are in Manhattan, so I obviously got 1st Department- I live with my boyfriend in Manhattan, but he works in Brooklyn- he got 2nd Department. So I assume that employment address must take precedence over residence seeing as how there is no other reason this would happen, but I don't know for sure

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby quakeroats » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Question 7b:

Are you now, or have you ever been, engaged on your own account or with others in any occupation, business, or profession, other than law, in the State of New York or elsewhere?

If Yes, give in detail the nature and location thereof and the month and year of the beginning and ending of your engagement in or connection therewith. If any such business was carried on by you in partnership with others, give the names and addresses of all partners and the nature of the business. If the business was carried on by a corporation in which you held any office state its name, address, nature of the business and your connection with it.


What's everyone putting for this? This seems targeted at organization's one has actually founded but would seem to include every employer too.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6367
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby 5ky » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:31 pm

I went to the BOLE website to check on some stuff and saw they are getting rid of Commercial Paper effective July 2014 and replacing it with Admin effective Feb 2015. Good riddance to Commercial Paper.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 6 guests