NY Bar Exam Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BRAatDC

New

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Post by BRAatDC » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:19 pm

Not looking past the exam itself or anything, but logistically, can anyone advise on a novel way to get from Saratoga Springs back down to NYC post-exam on the 29th? I feel like I've done the due diligence to explore all the reasonable options. The last Amtrak departs SAR for NYP at 4:45PM. I don't intend at all to blaze through the MBE, although I do answer the questions pretty quickly, so that may or may not be a very narrow option (several former NYBE-licensed friends said they were done far earlier than they expected, which I understand would leave a small window to haul ass over to the train station?) and it further appears that any buses also leave prior to 5PM.

Win or lose, I'd prefer to spend an extra night's hotel cost on a bartab in NYC and crash with friends, rather than having to stay in purgatory for another 12-15 hours and pay $275 for the privilege.

I'm based in DC, so I don't know if there are any unique modes I haven't considered. Also willing to negotiate a ride-share situation if you can get me within striking distance of a timely regional train or outlying public transportation stop.

Finally, thanks to all previous comments for the advice thus far.

srrrrh

Bronze

Post by srrrrh » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:56 pm

you could take a cab to albany, and then take a bus or amtrak from albany to nyc.

BRAatDC

New

Post by BRAatDC » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:47 am

That's actually a great idea because there is a later train leaving Albany that evening. I just have to hope there are cabs available post-exam. Thanks.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:02 am

sd5289 wrote:@5ky: what do you think of the strategy of focusing on MBE subjects primarily, and relying on certain NY law strengths you have (for me it's definitely Family and Criminal Law/Procedure). I worked in those areas prior to law school, and at least with Family Law, it's carried me through the Family Law / Property practice essays so far.

That's pretty much what I did. My essay for CrimPro was excellent, even citing the case names where the federal/NY rules come from. The remaining essays were turd as hell, and I'm pretty sure that I only got the rules for one subject right, other than crimpro.

LawIsPrettyCool

New

Post by LawIsPrettyCool » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:10 am

encore1101 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:@5ky: what do you think of the strategy of focusing on MBE subjects primarily, and relying on certain NY law strengths you have (for me it's definitely Family and Criminal Law/Procedure). I worked in those areas prior to law school, and at least with Family Law, it's carried me through the Family Law / Property practice essays so far.

That's pretty much what I did. My essay for CrimPro was excellent, even citing the case names where the federal/NY rules come from. The remaining essays were turd as hell, and I'm pretty sure that I only got the rules for one subject right, other than crimpro.
I recommend you sign up for AdaptiBar and do like 1500 questions in the next month. I did horribly on the MBE July 14, then did solely Adaptibar and killed it on Feb 15. It'll make your knowledge for essay topics better too.

If you (or anyone) needs a $50 off coupon code for Adaptibar shoot me a pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HLBE689

New

Post by HLBE689 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:30 pm

Prior NY Bar Exam Takers - I am assigned to the Times Union in Albany - are there sufficient outlets for laptops? Any reason to be concerned about that?

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:02 pm

Are they serious that I can bring an analog wristwatch to the testing center, but I can't wear it on my wrist? These people are fucking with us now.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:11 pm

Anyone know how to translate seat # at javits? or is there no point in doing this?

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Anyone know how to translate seat # at javits? or is there no point in doing this?
What do you mean? I see a seat # and a section #.

Also, are there really thousands of people in a single room? Jesus. :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:23 pm

sd5289 wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Anyone know how to translate seat # at javits? or is there no point in doing this?
What do you mean? I see a seat # and a section #.

Also, are there really thousands of people in a single room? Jesus. :shock:
It's one huge auditorium type room that is divided into three or four sections. Rows don't really matter. There are bathrooms at the front and back. If anything back rows are better off if you make the mistake of not finishing each section at least 15 minutes prior to deadline to get out before you have to wait for EVERY EXAM to be collected and marked off. If you make this mistake at lunch you will miss half the lunch period just waiting and slowly shuffling out in traffic.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:57 pm

JenDarby wrote:It's one huge auditorium type room that is divided into three or four sections. Rows don't really matter. There are bathrooms at the front and back. If anything back rows are better off if you make the mistake of not finishing each section at least 15 minutes prior to deadline to get out before you have to wait for EVERY EXAM to be collected and marked off. If you make this mistake at lunch you will miss half the lunch period just waiting and slowly shuffling out in traffic.
Ah, good tip thanks. I finished reviewing my answers right as 15 minutes was called during the MPRE, and that was bad enough to wait through.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:01 pm

sd5289 wrote:Are they serious that I can bring an analog wristwatch to the testing center, but I can't wear it on my wrist? These people are fucking with us now.
I know, right. lol I don't know what the reasoning behind that.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:01 pm

HLBE689 wrote:Prior NY Bar Exam Takers - I am assigned to the Times Union in Albany - are there sufficient outlets for laptops? Any reason to be concerned about that?
I would like to know that too.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:28 pm

sd5289 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:It's one huge auditorium type room that is divided into three or four sections. Rows don't really matter. There are bathrooms at the front and back. If anything back rows are better off if you make the mistake of not finishing each section at least 15 minutes prior to deadline to get out before you have to wait for EVERY EXAM to be collected and marked off. If you make this mistake at lunch you will miss half the lunch period just waiting and slowly shuffling out in traffic.
Ah, good tip thanks. I finished reviewing my answers right as 15 minutes was called during the MPRE, and that was bad enough to wait through.
It takes forever for them to collect all the exams during the bar. I would highly recommend finishing before 15 minutes are called for each section of at all possible. You will really appreciate having done so.

I also recommend just doing the bagged lunch option since it's available for pick up right there in javits and the food is fine for the price.

Also they do have big canteens of water and cups in the testing room if you need to refill a water bottle.

Unagi

Bronze

Post by Unagi » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:00 pm

No bags allowed... Are we supposed to carry our laptops, charger, wallet, earplugs in our hands?

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:12 pm

Unagi wrote:No bags allowed... Are we supposed to carry our laptops, charger, wallet, earplugs in our hands?
Yes. you should be able to carry a gallon sized ziploc bag into the testing room with everything you need. I brought a disposable bag on day one with my laptop since I didn't want to carry it with my coffee and breakfast and then I threw the bag away before going in.

Javits has a huge room you can leave any non-permitted stuff in but there is no one monitoring it and it seemed kind of like a shit show to deal with.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:18 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Unagi wrote:No bags allowed... Are we supposed to carry our laptops, charger, wallet, earplugs in our hands?
Yes. you should be able to carry a gallon sized ziploc bag into the testing room with everything you need. I brought a disposable bag on day one with my laptop since I didn't want to carry it with my coffee and breakfast and then I threw the bag away before going in.

Javits has a huge room you can leave any non-permitted stuff in but there is no one monitoring it and it seemed kind of like a shit show to deal with.
So are you saying:
1. leave cell phone at home
2. put sandwich, pencils, drink, erasers, admissions ticket in gallon bag
3. put gallon bag, laptop, and computer cord into disposable bag
4. throw out disposable bag outside javits center (or whatever facility)
5. walk into the facility

this still means carrying the laptop in your hands on the subway ride home, but I guess i could take a cab
thanks for help with logistics!
Last edited by Hutz_and_Goodman on Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:18 pm

JenDarby wrote:

So are you saying:

this still means carrying the laptop in your hands on the subway ride home, but I guess i could take a cab
Last edited by Hutz_and_Goodman on Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:19 pm

OH right. I didn't even think about laptop and charger. I swear all parts of my brain except for laws has shut off.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:30 pm

Can anyone comment on Albany's Union Center testing facility? Any tips would be really appreciated.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:30 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

So are you saying:

I didn't even think about this

Ugh what a pain
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Unagi

Bronze

Post by Unagi » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:35 pm

Thanks Jen!

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:37 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

So are you saying:

Yep, leave cell phone at home. It sucks, but you'll survive. Put all things into your bag, which doing the Javits paid lunch option helps with since they provide an entire meal with drink (sandwich/wrap, fruit, chips, and drink IIRC). I did the disposable bag thing and threw it away so as not to have to hold anything, but lots of other people were just carrying their laptops and chargers.

I took a cab there with some random strangers I met on the street who were also clearly taking the bar. Then I walked home since it was a nice day and only around 40 blocks (I walk a lot). Carrying your laptop in your hands on the subway isn't that big of a deal IMO, but I've maybe just lived here long enough to become comfortably reckless having (knock on wood) never had any issues with such things.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:39 pm

Unagi wrote:Thanks Jen!
No problem, glad to help with any other logistics or other questions that I can!

middlemarch

New

Post by middlemarch » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:06 pm

You can bring a bag (e.g. backpack) to Javitz, containing your laptop, charger, flashcards, etc. You can also bring a 1 gal. ziplock bag with pencils, earplugs, etc.

However you cannot bring the backpack into the actual testing auditoriums, only the laptop + charger + clear 1 gal. ziplock bag. There will be a variety of smaller rooms where people leave their backpacks with no issues.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”