NY Bar Exam Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Sup Kid

Silver

NY Bar Exam Application

Post by Sup Kid » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:04 pm

Does anyone know the process for this? I know it opens on 4/1, but how does it compare to other states (since I've heard the C&F questions come later, in the fall)? Also, do we get to put a preference for test center locations, or are we just assigned?

Any insight/information is appreciated.

petsoundspop

New

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Post by petsoundspop » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:30 pm

This is probably more info than you wanted, but oh well. The actual application for registering for the exam is extremely simple and took about ten minutes. Beware though, NY does not accept late applications (even with a fee), so be sure to get your app in by the deadline.

Your test center assignment comes later. If you are from out of state (like I was), you will be assigned to Albany. You are assigned to a certain department (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th) depending on where your residence is. Taking it in Albany actually worked out better for me, as it was a less hectic environment than that my friends experienced in Manhattan. I booked a room in the actual hotel I was taking the exam, so got to come up for lunch, etc. On the actual exam day, it took literally five seconds to get from my room to the check-in line. It definitely helped decrease the stress.

I'm in the Second Department and can therefore only comment on my experience with them. The Character and Fitness portion comes after the bar exam, and takes a while. I switched my assigned department after talking the exam (to the 2nd department) since I moved in state. You need to submit legal affidavits signed by EVERY legal employer you've ever had (including before law school, unpaid internships, and law school clinics, i.e. ANYTHING legally-related). The affidavit just provides the date you worked there and asks if there is any reason you wouldn't be fit to practice law. This is a pain in the ass and took months to collect (I started sending them out in August, months before I knew whether I passed).

You also need to submit two "moral character" affidavits. At least in the second department these character affidavits are only good for 60 days. This means that you have to time it out so that you leave enough time for your affiants to fill out the character affidavits, but not so much time that the 60 days passes when it is time to submit your application. I received notification that I passed the NY bar exam the first week of November (for the July '11 administration). I sent in my completed packet that same week. So if you want to plan it out, just be sure to get your "character affidavits" in by the first week of November.

To be honest, the whole process is a pain in the ass (especially gathering and collecting all the affidavits). The 60 day rule makes absolutely no sense to me, considering that your moral character, or lack thereof, seems unlikely to change after 60 days.

After you submit your paperwork, you are required to have an "interview". I had to wait about four months to get an interview date. It lasted two minutes. I've been told that once you've received an interview date, you've been cleared by C+F and therefore it is just a formality. About a month after the interview I got a letter in the mail with my swearing-in date.

Two big pieces of advice for NY: 1) Get your affidavits and paperwork ready such that as SOON as you find you passed (they notify you via-email), you can drop your completed app in the mail that same day and 2) At least for the Second department you are required to take an "Orientation to the Profession Course" before you can be sworn in. The problem is that this information is hard to find out on their website and the slots fill up very, very quickly. Therefore, you don't want to be in a position (like a lot of people out there I know) where you have passed the bar exam, have been cleared by C+F, had your interview, but cannot be sworn in for another four months because you are waiting on a date to attend this program. Register for it right after passing!

All told, it'll be 5 months from the date of passing the exam to getting sworn in (two weeks! yes!). Hope this helps.

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:21 pm

petsoundspop wrote:... Hope this helps.
lol just a little

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:05 am

This is awesome, thanks. One last thing -- I'm also moving in-state from out-of-state and was wondering how you went about switching what department you are in. Is it like an affidavit where you have to prove residence, or just like a telephone conversation (or something between those)?

petsoundspop

New

Post by petsoundspop » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:33 am

I wrote a letter to the third department (my original assignment) once I had moved to in state. I just put my name, BOLE ID (the number the NY Bar gives you) and a short sentence respectfully requesting a change in departments. I then put my old address and new address. About a week later, I got a letter stating I was re-assigned to the second department.

However, be sure to get your law school to re-send your "law school certificate" to your new department. The certificate is a form you partially complete (listing the dates of your attendance) that your school signs and sends that to your assigned department with a copy of your original law school application. The problem is that there is not much communication between the departments, so the new department you are re-assigned to needs to have that certificate before you are considered "complete". This is part of what held me up. My law school sent this to the third department as I originally requested but no one transferred it from the third to the second. Therefore, I had to have them re-send a copy to the second.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:41 am

petsoundspop wrote:This is probably more info than you wanted, but oh well. The actual application for registering for the exam is extremely simple and took about ten minutes. Beware though, NY does not accept late applications (even with a fee), so be sure to get your app in by the deadline.

Your test center assignment comes later. If you are from out of state (like I was), you will be assigned to Albany. You are assigned to a certain department (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th) depending on where your residence is. Taking it in Albany actually worked out better for me, as it was a less hectic environment than that my friends experienced in Manhattan. I booked a room in the actual hotel I was taking the exam, so got to come up for lunch, etc. On the actual exam day, it took literally five seconds to get from my room to the check-in line. It definitely helped decrease the stress.

I'm in the Second Department and can therefore only comment on my experience with them. The Character and Fitness portion comes after the bar exam, and takes a while. I switched my assigned department after talking the exam (to the 2nd department) since I moved in state. You need to submit legal affidavits signed by EVERY legal employer you've ever had (including before law school, unpaid internships, and law school clinics, i.e. ANYTHING legally-related). The affidavit just provides the date you worked there and asks if there is any reason you wouldn't be fit to practice law. This is a pain in the ass and took months to collect (I started sending them out in August, months before I knew whether I passed).

You also need to submit two "moral character" affidavits. At least in the second department these character affidavits are only good for 60 days. This means that you have to time it out so that you leave enough time for your affiants to fill out the character affidavits, but not so much time that the 60 days passes when it is time to submit your application. I received notification that I passed the NY bar exam the first week of November (for the July '11 administration). I sent in my completed packet that same week. So if you want to plan it out, just be sure to get your "character affidavits" in by the first week of November.

To be honest, the whole process is a pain in the ass (especially gathering and collecting all the affidavits). The 60 day rule makes absolutely no sense to me, considering that your moral character, or lack thereof, seems unlikely to change after 60 days.

After you submit your paperwork, you are required to have an "interview". I had to wait about four months to get an interview date. It lasted two minutes. I've been told that once you've received an interview date, you've been cleared by C+F and therefore it is just a formality. About a month after the interview I got a letter in the mail with my swearing-in date.

Two big pieces of advice for NY: 1) Get your affidavits and paperwork ready such that as SOON as you find you passed (they notify you via-email), you can drop your completed app in the mail that same day and 2) At least for the Second department you are required to take an "Orientation to the Profession Course" before you can be sworn in. The problem is that this information is hard to find out on their website and the slots fill up very, very quickly. Therefore, you don't want to be in a position (like a lot of people out there I know) where you have passed the bar exam, have been cleared by C+F, had your interview, but cannot be sworn in for another four months because you are waiting on a date to attend this program. Register for it right after passing!

All told, it'll be 5 months from the date of passing the exam to getting sworn in (two weeks! yes!). Hope this helps.

Tag

jpg

New

Post by jpg » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:55 am

Wow, thanks for all the info. Quick question: is your assigned department based upon where you are working, or where you are living?

petsoundspop

New

Post by petsoundspop » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:30 pm

It's based on your residence. From the website:

"Upon successful completion of the bar examination, applicants are certified to the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court in the Judicial Department where the last residence address the Board has on file for the applicant is located. The applicant is mailed a letter of certification which must be filed with the Appellate Division as a part of the application for admission to the Bar. Once an applicant has been certified by the Board, a change in Department can only be made by application to the Presiding Justice of the Department to which the applicant was certified."

shadow.

Bronze

Post by shadow. » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:22 pm

Thanks so much for this information, petsounds.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

petsoundspop

New

Post by petsoundspop » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:29 pm

No prob, dude. I had a lot of trouble finding this info when I was going through the process, so I wanted to pay it forward. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the bar exam itself (although it's still a little early for you 3Ls).

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:51 pm

petsoundspop wrote:No prob, dude. I had a lot of trouble finding this info when I was going through the process, so I wanted to pay it forward. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the bar exam itself (although it's still a little early for you 3Ls).
TYFT. Will poast with questions later.

lawschoolgrapedme

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgrapedme » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:02 pm

tag

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:28 pm

petsoundspop wrote: Your test center assignment comes later. If you are from out of state (like I was), you will be assigned to Albany. You are assigned to a certain department (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th) depending on where your residence is. Taking it in Albany actually worked out better for me, as it was a less hectic environment than that my friends experienced in Manhattan. I booked a room in the actual hotel I was taking the exam, so got to come up for lunch, etc. On the actual exam day, it took literally five seconds to get from my room to the check-in line. It definitely helped decrease the stress.
Just wanted to clarify that they send out a registration link to pick your location and if you log on early enough (or get the link early somehow) you'll be able to take it in Manhattan even if you live outside of NY.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:04 pm

Georgiana wrote:
petsoundspop wrote: Your test center assignment comes later. If you are from out of state (like I was), you will be assigned to Albany. You are assigned to a certain department (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th) depending on where your residence is. Taking it in Albany actually worked out better for me, as it was a less hectic environment than that my friends experienced in Manhattan. I booked a room in the actual hotel I was taking the exam, so got to come up for lunch, etc. On the actual exam day, it took literally five seconds to get from my room to the check-in line. It definitely helped decrease the stress.
Just wanted to clarify that they send out a registration link to pick your location and if you log on early enough (or get the link early somehow) you'll be able to take it in Manhattan even if you live outside of NY.

Is it only at the Javit (sp?) Center? I've heard numerous horror stories.

petsoundspop

New

Post by petsoundspop » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:52 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Georgiana wrote:

Is it only at the Javit (sp?) Center? I've heard numerous horror stories.
I'm not sure if that's the only venue (I think it's Javitz, but not sure), but I have heard the same horror stories. Apparently the click-clacking of all those laptops in a huge space with that type of echo is pretty distracting. Taking it Albany was great. Didn't leave the hotel for all three days/occupied the bar on the last day.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:22 pm

petsoundspop wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:Is it only at the Javit (sp?) Center? I've heard numerous horror stories.
I'm not sure if that's the only venue (I think it's Javitz, but not sure), but I have heard the same horror stories. Apparently the click-clacking of all those laptops in a huge space with that type of echo is pretty distracting. Taking it Albany was great. Didn't leave the hotel for all three days/occupied the bar on the last day.
I didn't find it all that bad, but the crowd/line to get in in the morning was crazy. Definitely show up late and just cut in front, thats what all the cool kids do.

If you don't have a reason to be in Manhattan, take it in Albany (or Buffalo, I have a friend who stayed at the falls and had a great time with her hubby who was also taking the exam). My fiance was able to stay at the hotel with me in Manhattan but wouldn't have been able to take time off work to go to Albany, so it made sense for me (and kept me a bit more sane).

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:45 pm

Does anyone happen to know how it works if you take the NY/NJ bar (as a NJ resident) which I believe involves two days in NY, and then one day in NJ? Would they give you a concession to take it in Manhattan? Normally I wouldn't mind taking it in Albany or Buffalo, but it seems like a pain to have to test all day upstate and then travel to NJ for the next morning.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:46 pm

Wholigan wrote:Does anyone happen to know how it works if you take the NY/NJ bar (as a NJ resident) which I believe involves two days in NY, and then one day in NJ? Would they give you a concession to take it in Manhattan? Normally I wouldn't mind taking it in Albany or Buffalo, but it seems like a pain to have to test all day upstate and then travel to NJ for the next morning.
So glad I decided not to take NJ in conjunction with NY.

petsoundspop

New

Post by petsoundspop » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:29 pm

Wholigan wrote:Does anyone happen to know how it works if you take the NY/NJ bar (as a NJ resident) which I believe involves two days in NY, and then one day in NJ? Would they give you a concession to take it in Manhattan? Normally I wouldn't mind taking it in Albany or Buffalo, but it seems like a pain to have to test all day upstate and then travel to NJ for the next morning.
I didn't take NY with NJ but know several people who did. Basically the first day is NY State Specific topics (Essays and multiple choice); second day is the MBE (200 multiple choice) and then the third day they traveled to NJ for their state-specific essay questions. As far as I know, NY does not adjust test center assignments based on what jurisdictions you are taking. You get a link to sign up for a test center. As I recall, by the time I clicked on it, all Manhattan sites were taken. I have heard that NY is very strict about not switching test sites and does not have wait lists for preferred sites. All the people I knew who took NY and NJ had to make that pain in the ass trip for the third day. Sorry.

A word of advice though for those contemplating taking NJ with NY: New Jersey, for some reason, does not accept MBE scores from previous administrations. This means that if you plan to take NY in July and do NJ in February, you have to retake the MBE in February along with the NJ state specific subjects. I learned this the hard way. I did very well on the MBE in NY in July and was shocked to learn that this score wouldn't transfer to the February NJ administration. As I result I just decided to be licensed in one jurisdiction. No way I'm studying for the MBE again. No freaking way.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:43 pm

petsoundspop wrote:
I didn't take NY with NJ but know several people who did. Basically the first day is NY State Specific topics (Essays and multiple choice); second day is the MBE (200 multiple choice) and then the third day they traveled to NJ for their state-specific essay questions. As far as I know, NY does not adjust test center assignments based on what jurisdictions you are taking. You get a link to sign up for a test center. As I recall, by the time I clicked on it, all Manhattan sites were taken. I have heard that NY is very strict about not switching test sites and does not have wait lists for preferred sites. All the people I knew who took NY and NJ had to make that pain in the ass trip for the third day. Sorry.

A word of advice though for those contemplating taking NJ with NY: New Jersey, for some reason, does not accept MBE scores from previous administrations. This means that if you plan to take NY in July and do NJ in February, you have to retake the MBE in February along with the NJ state specific subjects. I learned this the hard way. I did very well on the MBE in NY in July and was shocked to learn that this score wouldn't transfer to the February NJ administration. As I result I just decided to be licensed in one jurisdiction. No way I'm studying for the MBE again. No freaking way.
Moreover, CLE for NJ doesn't transfer and must be done in NJ (IIRC). Womp

petsoundspop

New

Post by petsoundspop » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:50 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
petsoundspop wrote:

Moreover, CLE for NJ doesn't transfer and must be done in NJ (IIRC). Womp
Good point. What a pain in the ass.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:59 pm

First department bar applicant here. Will hopefully be admitted in a few weeks, so I can answer any Qs.

Also, we get registered automatically for an orientation.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:00 pm

Question re: Albany hotels...is there only one hotel in which the exam takes place, or multiple? Names? I'm looking into booking a room as soon as I confirm I'm taking in Albany.

TYIA

petsoundspop

New

Post by petsoundspop » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:05 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:Question re: Albany hotels...is there only one hotel in which the exam takes place, or multiple? Names? I'm looking into booking a room as soon as I confirm I'm taking in Albany.

TYIA
There are multiple sites in Albany but if you are typing the exam, I believe they're limited to two sites. I typed and was assigned to The Desmond Hotel and Conference Center (http://www.desmondhotelsalbany.com). I was able to book a room there after being assigned. I don't know Albany at all but have heard that cabs are pretty unreliable, especially when the Bar rolls in. So you are wise to book a room at your assigned test center.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:20 pm

petsoundspop wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:Question re: Albany hotels...is there only one hotel in which the exam takes place, or multiple? Names? I'm looking into booking a room as soon as I confirm I'm taking in Albany.

TYIA
There are multiple sites in Albany but if you are typing the exam, I believe they're limited to two sites. I typed and was assigned to The Desmond Hotel and Conference Center (http://www.desmondhotelsalbany.com). I was able to book a room there after being assigned. I don't know Albany at all but have heard that cabs are pretty unreliable, especially when the Bar rolls in. So you are wise to book a room at your assigned test center.

Awesome, thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”