NY Bar Exam Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Uk_Law15

New

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Post by Uk_Law15 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:55 am

Just saw that we are meant to be at the Test Centre by 07:30 am for security checks. :shock:

I was hoping not to spend too much time waiting around before the exams to keep the anxiety level at bay. :?

I'm sitting the exams in Buffalo.

Will it really take that long?

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:27 am

You're going to end up sitting around a lot. Not sure check in is something you want to play with. I sat in Buffalo and the line to get in went around the block in both directions.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:57 pm

Uk_Law15 wrote:Just saw that we are meant to be at the Test Centre by 07:30 am for security checks. :shock:

I was hoping not to spend too much time waiting around before the exams to keep the anxiety level at bay. :?

I'm sitting the exams in Buffalo.

Will it really take that long?

Yes. it takes a while, and the line gets long quickly. I took it in buffalo last year.

Uk_Law15

New

Post by Uk_Law15 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:42 am

Gosh, and you can't even revise while waiting since you can't take your notes with you. Oh it's going to be fun!

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:47 am

Uk_Law15 wrote:Gosh, and you can't even revise while waiting since you can't take your notes with you. Oh it's going to be fun!
I firmly believe you shouldn't be studying the night before or the day of the bar, but there's garbage cans immediately before you go in the room so you could have notes if you're willing to throw them away.

They need them there to make people throw away noncompliant items. Like when I forgot and almost brought my Pepsi in with the wrapper on after lunch.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:24 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Uk_Law15 wrote:Gosh, and you can't even revise while waiting since you can't take your notes with you. Oh it's going to be fun!
They need them there to make people throw away noncompliant items. Like when I forgot and almost brought my Pepsi in with the wrapper on after lunch.
Right. The "clear" bottle with no labels on it. So I can't take the drink they provide me at lunch in with me? Some of these rules are ludicrous.

mrs_featherbottom

New

Post by mrs_featherbottom » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:39 pm

sd5289 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
Right. The "clear" bottle with no labels on it. So I can't take the drink they provide me at lunch in with me? Some of these rules are ludicrous.
And apparently apartment/hotel keys and credit cards/money aren't allowed b/c they don't appear on the permitted items list.

Also do we have to worry about whether there will be enough outlets for the NY day? My computer only holds a charge for like 2 hours

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:07 pm

mrs_featherbottom wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
And apparently apartment/hotel keys and credit cards/money aren't allowed b/c they don't appear on the permitted items list.

Also do we have to worry about whether there will be enough outlets for the NY day? My computer only holds a charge for like 2 hours
Not gonna check now but I thought a wallet was on there?
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:24 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Not gonna check now but I thought a wallet was on there?
It's actually not.

But technically, neither are clothes. :lol:

Rumor has it that cash, metro card, and credit card are all okay, which I'm just gonna put it in my pocket.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:25 pm

Fuck it, I'm going nude
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uk_Law15

New

Post by Uk_Law15 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:38 am

Danger Zone wrote:Fuck it, I'm going nude
And don't forget, no squeaky shoes!

Uk_Law15

New

Post by Uk_Law15 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:40 am

JenDarby wrote:
I firmly believe you shouldn't be studying the night before or the day of the bar, but there's garbage cans immediately before you go in the room so you could have notes if you're willing to throw them away.

I wasn't planning on doing much the morning of the exams but I can't figure out what else to do when waiting in line given that I'll have no phone and don't know anyone!

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:44 am

Uk_Law15 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

I wasn't planning on doing much the morning of the exams but I can't figure out what else to do when waiting in line given that I'll have no phone and don't know anyone!
That's legit then. My main point is don't stress. I marathoned all of Orange is the New Black in the two days before the bar. I brought my print out of lean sheets for the reason you stated to the first day of the bar, but basically read two sentences and realized fuck it and threw them away. A phone/iPod wkth music would have been lovely but you just lean in to how shitty the day is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:23 pm

Did anyone do the $20/day lunch offered at Javits? It's a steep price, but I'm considering it given that it might be a clusterfuck getting lunch Day 1.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:06 pm

orangecup wrote:Did anyone do the $20/day lunch offered at Javits? It's a steep price, but I'm considering it given that it might be a clusterfuck getting lunch Day 1.
I did it. Agree that it's steep, but for NYC it's not too bad, and I don't want to have to risk being late, so I got it.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:51 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
orangecup wrote:Did anyone do the $20/day lunch offered at Javits? It's a steep price, but I'm considering it given that it might be a clusterfuck getting lunch Day 1.
I did it. Agree that it's steep, but for NYC it's not too bad, and I don't want to have to risk being late, so I got it.
Yeah, I think you're right. I'll probably bite the bullet.

Also, if we're only allowed to bring a one gallon plastic bag, does that mean we're just supposed to carry our laptop + charger to Javits? Not a big deal, just want to confirm

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:53 pm

orangecup wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
Yeah, I think you're right. I'll probably bite the bullet.

Also, if we're only allowed to bring a one gallon plastic bag, does that mean we're just supposed to carry our laptop + charger to Javits? Not a big deal, just want to confirm
I did the lunch too. I remember when I went to the NYC marathon expo back in 2011, it was at the Javits Center and that place is seriously out in the middle of nowhere. It would take the entire lunch period just to walk east far enough to find a deli to grab food.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:13 pm

Do the lunch, it's pretty legit for $20 and way easier than putting any thought into your food.

If you screw up and don't finish before 15 minutes is called, just an fyi kosher line was way shorter both days. But seriously just drop your pencil and leave before 15 minutes is called.

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:49 pm

Thanks everyone!

Another Q: we're allowed to bring wristwatches, but they must be on the desk, not our wrists. Are we allowed to take them with us during lunch? I know we have to leave our laptops at the seats, but I don't exactly want to leave my watch out there too..

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:20 pm

orangecup wrote:Thanks everyone!

Another Q: we're allowed to bring wristwatches, but they must be on the desk, not our wrists. Are we allowed to take them with us during lunch? I know we have to leave our laptops at the seats, but I don't exactly want to leave my watch out there too..
Yea you can take your watch with you to lunch.

BRAatDC

New

Post by BRAatDC » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:27 am

Pursuant to my prior post, if anyone wants to split a cab from Saratoga to Albany-Rensselaer Amtrak on Weds after the exam, feel free to contact me privately. It's only like $60 total, but I'm happy to share so long as you agree to not say a single word about the exam for the duration of the ride.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:33 am

Can we bring our own food to Javits? I don't understand the rules on food bc they say you can't bring in anything that makes noise, but then they give us chips for lunch. I would rather bring in my own sandwich then pay for one, but obviously i don't want to risk having nothing to eat.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:59 am

BRAatDC wrote:Pursuant to my prior post, if anyone wants to split a cab from Saratoga to Albany-Rensselaer Amtrak on Weds after the exam, feel free to contact me privately. It's only like $60 total, but I'm happy to share so long as you agree to not say a single word about the exam for the duration of the ride.
I'll provide a ride from Saratoga to NYC suburbs for gas money, superficial conversation, and you not being an ax murderer.

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:11 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
Can we bring our own food to Javits? I don't understand the rules on food bc they say you can't bring in anything that makes noise, but then they give us chips for lunch. I would rather bring in my own sandwich then pay for one, but obviously i don't want to risk having nothing to eat.
Honestly not sure. It says: "Quiet Snack (unwrapped in clear plastic food storage bag)" whatever that means. Presumably a sandwich is quiet?

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:16 am

orangecup wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
Honestly not sure. It says: "Quiet Snack (unwrapped in clear plastic food storage bag)" whatever that means. Presumably a sandwich is quiet?
Yea I mean I guess you could throw a sandwich unwrapped in with your pencils.

I brought sour patch kids and Swedish fish in my bag.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”