NY Bar Exam Application

1styearlateral
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby 1styearlateral » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:59 pm

raptors_delight wrote:Gah! I'm going on two weeks now and the Second Department says they still haven't received anything. At what point (if ever) is it acceptable to politely follow up with your interviewer's assistant for a status update? The interviewer concluded the interview by saying I should expect to receive an admission date within a few days and there were no red flags in my application except a couple of very old traffic tickets, so I don't think the delay is intentional. I'm a little concerned that my stuff has been misplaced and that the more time goes by, the more likely it is to become permanently misplaced. The thought of getting all those affidavits again makes me want to vom (implying the Second Department sends original applications out to interviewers without making copies). And I know I'm being a total admission gunner, but whatever -- I just want this nightmare to end.

lol are you serious. I don't know anyone in the 2nd Dep't who was sworn in before March/April. The application process isn't done overnight and the swear in ceremony is done in waves... it's not like you get an individual invitation to be specially sworn in.

raptors_delight
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:30 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby raptors_delight » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:21 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
raptors_delight wrote:Gah! I'm going on two weeks now and the Second Department says they still haven't received anything. At what point (if ever) is it acceptable to politely follow up with your interviewer's assistant for a status update? The interviewer concluded the interview by saying I should expect to receive an admission date within a few days and there were no red flags in my application except a couple of very old traffic tickets, so I don't think the delay is intentional. I'm a little concerned that my stuff has been misplaced and that the more time goes by, the more likely it is to become permanently misplaced. The thought of getting all those affidavits again makes me want to vom (implying the Second Department sends original applications out to interviewers without making copies). And I know I'm being a total admission gunner, but whatever -- I just want this nightmare to end.

lol are you serious. I don't know anyone in the 2nd Dep't who was sworn in before March/April. The application process isn't done overnight and the swear in ceremony is done in waves... it's not like you get an individual invitation to be specially sworn in.


You're joking, right? You do get an individual "invitation" to be sworn in at one of several ceremonies throughout the year -- you don't just show up whenever you feel like it. I know plenty of people who were sworn in at the ceremony last month.

raptors_delight
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:30 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby raptors_delight » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:23 pm

svitlanlazaresku wrote:
raptors_delight wrote:
svitlanlazaresku wrote:
raptors_delight wrote:
svitlanlazaresku wrote:
lawsohardJD wrote:
svitlanlazaresku wrote:I had my interview yesterday, any output on swearing ceremony dates for 2nd department? thanks in advance


The first swearing in ceremony is tomorrow morning.



thanks a lot, do you know when the next one is?


December 22. I'm hoping to be sworn in then, but my interviewer still hasn't returned my documents to C&F and it's been over a week. I want to get this show on the road so I can just be done with this shitty, stressful affair.


my interviewer told me she will send it next business day, so hoping to get the letter soon, it is stressful, and I am sure you will be there on the 22nd)


Gah! I'm going on two weeks now and the Second Department says they still haven't received anything. At what point (if ever) is it acceptable to politely follow up with your interviewer's assistant for a status update? The interviewer concluded the interview by saying I should expect to receive an admission date within a few days and there were no red flags in my application except a couple of very old traffic tickets, so I don't think the delay is intentional. I'm a little concerned that my stuff has been misplaced and that the more time goes by, the more likely it is to become permanently misplaced. The thought of getting all those affidavits again makes me want to vom (implying the Second Department sends original applications out to interviewers without making copies). And I know I'm being a total admission gunner, but whatever -- I just want this nightmare to end.



did you get your invitation yet? Nothing here...


Yes! I finally did today.

svitlanlazaresku
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby svitlanlazaresku » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:00 am

did you get your invitation yet? Nothing here...[/quote]

Yes! I finally did today.[/quote]


For Dec 21?

svitlanlazaresku
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby svitlanlazaresku » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:04 am

Received my invitation to the ceremony, 2nd department, January 11

QuasiINrem
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:17 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby QuasiINrem » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:02 pm

They've had my completed application since November 22. I haven't heard back. Why is it taking so long

svitlanlazaresku
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby svitlanlazaresku » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:28 pm

I sent my application October 24, had my interview December 5, and swearing ceremony is January 11

QuasiINrem
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:17 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby QuasiINrem » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:50 pm

svitlanlazaresku wrote:I sent my application October 24, had my interview December 5, and swearing ceremony is January 11



Wow that took a long time. I hope I get sworn in on Jan 11 also so my who lives overseas could attend.

NoLongerALurker
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:08 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby NoLongerALurker » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:17 pm

For anyone looking for timelines in the future: I submitted early December, have late-March swearing in. 1st Dept.

Poets
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:19 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Poets » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:52 pm

I am an out-of-state applicant so have little info about NY bar. So just to be sure, applicants submit the Character & Fitness application AFTER they pass the NY bar, right? Before passing the NY bar, applicants can't even submit the C&F application?

"If you pass the Bar Exam and the M.P.R.E., the State Board of Law Examiners ("the Board") then officially certifies you for admission to one of the four departments of the Appellate Division in the State, based upon your address. The Board will send you a "Notice of Certification.""
http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/ad1/comm ... xamination

kidfromny
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:17 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby kidfromny » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:51 am

Two questions:

1. Can we submit application without the certificate of completion for the orientation videos?

2. In the checklist it mentions registering with the OCA and paying a fee, but when I log onto to register and pay it asks me for an attorney number, any ideas?

ndp1234
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby ndp1234 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:14 pm

kidfromny wrote:Two questions:

1. Can we submit application without the certificate of completion for the orientation videos?

2. In the checklist it mentions registering with the OCA and paying a fee, but when I log onto to register and pay it asks me for an attorney number, any ideas?


1. Why wouldn't you just watch the videos and get the codes? They're all there for you to complete and it's relatively simple compared to everything else required in the bar app. This is the one thing shouldn't hold up your application.

2. You can do your biennial registration renewal online, but the initial registration has to be mailed in - originals only. (I assume it's because they need your original signature on the registration to match your application signature) You don't get your number until you've been sworn in. You need to attach the slip affidavit to the application stating that you've registered. I forgot this part and my reviewer called me to ask for it.

just_me
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby just_me » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:08 pm

Bit of a silly question, but has anyone else had problems with the formatting of the PDF docs (i.e. the main application and related affidavits)?

I seem to have some text coming up in blue, and some in black, and in various different sizes! Have tried using a Mac and a PC, and same issues with both!

User avatar
ArtistOfManliness
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:15 pm

just_me wrote:Bit of a silly question, but has anyone else had problems with the formatting of the PDF docs (i.e. the main application and related affidavits)?

I seem to have some text coming up in blue, and some in black, and in various different sizes! Have tried using a Mac and a PC, and same issues with both!


Nope. Ask a LS friend to send you the ones they used... you're using the multipart app from the website, right?

just_me
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby just_me » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:20 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
just_me wrote:Bit of a silly question, but has anyone else had problems with the formatting of the PDF docs (i.e. the main application and related affidavits)?

I seem to have some text coming up in blue, and some in black, and in various different sizes! Have tried using a Mac and a PC, and same issues with both!


Nope. Ask a LS friend to send you the ones they used... you're using the multipart app from the website, right?


I'm using the docs from here: http://www.nybarexam.org/Admission/Admi ... Packet.htm

I'm a foreign applicant so alas, have no law school friends!! However thanks in any event for your reply - now that I know this isn't a problem everyone is having, i'll maybe give my department a call and see if the docs are available in any other formats.

ClubberLang
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 11:34 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby ClubberLang » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:12 pm

Does anyone know if we are supposed to bring anything to the interviews? My interview (3rd) is Thursday morning, swearing in is at lunch.

Also, supposed to wear suits?

ndp1234
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby ndp1234 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:42 pm

ClubberLang wrote:Does anyone know if we are supposed to bring anything to the interviews? My interview (3rd) is Thursday morning, swearing in is at lunch.

Also, supposed to wear suits?



1) No, just bring cash so that you can purchase your scroll and/or certificate of good standing. (This was an option in 2d Dept to do at the ceremony)

2) I would - they specified, at least in the 2d dept, that professional attire was required, and I think all men wore suits.

just_me
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby just_me » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:13 pm

iwantmybar wrote:
ChocolateTruffle wrote:I'm in the Third Department. I got an email this morning saying that my interview is the morning of January 19th! A bit odd to have the interview the same day as the swearing in ceremony! Does anyone know what kind of questions they ask at the interview? Do I need to bring anything with me? Thanks!


3rd department here.

You are actually quite lucky because you have your interview and the swearing ceremony on the same day so you don't need to stay two days in Albany (which is a beautiful city but pretty dead, but beautiful). So you don't have to take two days off as well.

I got sworn in 2 weeks ago so it goes that way : you go to your interview at the time they told you to come. No need to come 30mn early. You'll be waiting in a room with maybe 50 candidates and everyone 'll be waiting to be called. It took me maybe 50 mn before being called so bring a book or your smartphone, some ppl were reading or playing games, it is not prohibided, this is not the bar.

The attorney who does the interview already has your file and quickly checked it. They don't have the time to spend more than 10mn with you because the last swearing ceremony is like at 11AM so they need to interview everyone. My interview lasted 10 mn and the attorney was a super nice person and asked me about my probono work. She was just there to verify If I wasn't a serial killer, that' s it. They don't try to trick you. I agree it might be a bit stressful but no need to worry, if you reach the interview step, it means that your filed has been approved. Just don't do anything stupid like screaming, crying for no reasons or being paranoid about the FBI following you. You know, this kind of stuff that will make uncomfortable everyone.

Then after your interview, you are given an enveloppe with a diploma and you go to the swearing ceremony (there is one at 10 am and another at 11 am i think). The swearing ceremony lasts 45mn to 1hour, you can take pictures etc, it's very well organized so it's all good.

Hence it was a very good experience.

Protips : wear a suit but no need to shave if you have a beard.

Protips for your wallet : if you arrive from the albany train station with amtrak, don't take a the greys cabs (i think those are called prestige company or sth) because they are very very very expensive (like 60 bucks ) to literally cross the damn river to downtown albany. I think this company has the monopoly to transport passengers from and to the station... find another way or walk. Uber doesnt work in Albany so call your hotel and ask them another cab company that the one waiting at the train station.

Also, i took Amtrak which was pretty good and if you are done earlier than you thought, you can catch an early train (you'll just have to pay the difference but it's like $2).


Thanks so much for sharing your experience! Just wondering if you remember roughly how long it took between you sending your application (and related documents) and them letting you know what admissions ceremony you were scheduled for?

Likewise, if anyone else who has been through this process in the Third Department might be able to shed any light, it would be much appreciated!

User avatar
ChocolateTruffle
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:26 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby ChocolateTruffle » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:53 pm

I can't remember the exact date I mailed in my application, but on November 9 I received an email stating that my application had been received (I think I sent it to the express address). Then on November 28 I received an email confirming the date and time of my interview and swearing in ceremony to be held on January 19.

I got there at 9 am, as instructed, but I wasn't called in for my interview until around 10:15 am or so, the guy doing the interviews for the people in my group was going in alphabetical order. My interview must have lasted a total of 3-4 minutes. I was just asked about whether I enjoyed my current position and past pro bono work.

Hope that helps!

reasonable_man_03
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:28 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby reasonable_man_03 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:15 am

ChocolateTruffle wrote:I can't remember the exact date I mailed in my application, but on November 9 I received an email stating that my application had been received (I think I sent it to the express address). Then on November 28 I received an email confirming the date and time of my interview and swearing in ceremony to be held on January 19.

I got there at 9 am, as instructed, but I wasn't called in for my interview until around 10:15 am or so, the guy doing the interviews for the people in my group was going in alphabetical order. My interview must have lasted a total of 3-4 minutes. I was just asked about whether I enjoyed my current position and past pro bono work.

Hope that helps!


Thanks for the insight. I submitted my application on the 20th december, 2016; received acknowledgment on the 28th from admission's office but have not heard yet. Do you think it is because I may have some red flag on my application. Is it a good idea to send them a follow up email asking if they require any further information etc? I am getting really anxious and would like to hear from them soon.

NyuIwantu
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:31 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby NyuIwantu » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Anyone here with approx timeline for 2nd Dept application submission --> interview --> swearing?

Ash8
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:06 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Ash8 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:55 pm

Third Dep. Applicant here.

Third Dep. received my application 5 Mondays ago ( Dec 19, 2016). Still waiting for the interview e-mail.

QuasiINrem
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:17 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby QuasiINrem » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:36 pm

NyuIwantu wrote:Anyone here with approx timeline for 2nd Dept application submission --> interview --> swearing?


Submitted mine nov. 9. They needed more info, sent additional info, application marked complete Nov 28 and given to interviewer Dec 1. My interviewer reached out to me dec 29 to confirm January 13 interview. Received swearing in invitation January 25

Finally will be sworn feb 15, 2017

On the other hand, I was sworn in NJ on December 7 (by UBE transfer)

ellewoods123
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:55 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby ellewoods123 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:59 pm

can anyone speak to how strict the 2nd dept has been with submission (or lack thereof) of employment affidavits? I have 3 of the 5 i need (have been unable to get responses from other 2 employers). I have emails indicating my attempt to reach out. I can't wait any longer because I need to be sworn in ASAP. anyone else have this problem? will it cause me more delay?

NyuIwantu
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:31 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby NyuIwantu » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:33 pm

QuasiINrem wrote:
NyuIwantu wrote:Anyone here with approx timeline for 2nd Dept application submission --> interview --> swearing?


Submitted mine nov. 9. They needed more info, sent additional info, application marked complete Nov 28 and given to interviewer Dec 1. My interviewer reached out to me dec 29 to confirm January 13 interview. Received swearing in invitation January 25

Finally will be sworn feb 15, 2017

On the other hand, I was sworn in NJ on December 7 (by UBE transfer)


Three month complete turn around? I'd be really happy with that! Thanks for the breakdown!




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TheLegalOne and 11 guests