NY Bar Exam Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kaiser

Gold

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Post by kaiser » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:18 pm

I never received any sort of confirmation that they even received all my app materials. Though I did get a location confirmation for my testing city a few days after I was prompted to select it. When do we actually find out which specific site we get in Albany? They do it at Empire State Plaza and Times Union Center, and I haven't been told where I am assigned. Any other Albany people find out?

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:42 pm

kaiser wrote:I never received any sort of confirmation that they even received all my app materials. Though I did get a location confirmation for my testing city a few days after I was prompted to select it. When do we actually find out which specific site we get in Albany? They do it at Empire State Plaza and Times Union Center, and I haven't been told where I am assigned. Any other Albany people find out?
probably just when they send out the seat tickets sometime this week. (i think i remember they said 2 weeks before the test date)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:30 pm

taking bar in Albany. How fucked am i if my laptop battery lasts 1-2 hours? Heard albany has unreliable/nonexistent occasionally power outlets. Heard not as bad as Javitz center though. What should I do?

buy extra batteries? handwrite? or take chances?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:taking bar in Albany. How fucked am i if my laptop battery lasts 1-2 hours? Heard albany has unreliable/nonexistent occasionally power outlets. Heard not as bad as Javitz center though. What should I do?

buy extra batteries? handwrite? or take chances?
Oh I didn't even think about this. I have a Mac so charger is the only way I can go, since no extra battery. What did they say about outlets? I'm at Times Union Center, so I can't imagine there being outlets on an arena floor.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:48 pm

there's no way they would let you use a laptop if they didn't have sufficient outlets. NY used to do a lottery for those wishing to use laptops because they didn't have enough outlets

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:50 pm

well, i've heard they either don't have "adequate outlets," or the outlets are like uber-daisy chained and half the time they don't work.

this is entirely anecdotal so if anyone from past years can share their experiences, but i have heard from people it could be an issue so i just wanted to prepare

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:well, i've heard they either don't have "adequate outlets," or the outlets are like uber-daisy chained and half the time they don't work.

this is entirely anecdotal so if anyone from past years can share their experiences, but i have heard from people it could be an issue so i just wanted to prepare
Took bar exam in Albany last year, as did many friends. No one had problems with plugging in their laptops.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Does anyone have experience with clerking in a different state and applying for the NY bar? Do you have to fly in to NY for the C&F interview? Swearing in?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:08 pm

tag

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have experience with clerking in a different state and applying for the NY bar? Do you have to fly in to NY for the C&F interview? Swearing in?
I was in DC, had to go to Albany for 3 days for the interview and swearing in ceremony. It was not presented as optional.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:15 pm

Georgiana wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have experience with clerking in a different state and applying for the NY bar? Do you have to fly in to NY for the C&F interview? Swearing in?
I was in DC, had to go to Albany for 3 days for the interview and swearing in ceremony. It was not presented as optional.
When do they typically do swearing in for the bar passers in NY?

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:55 pm

kaiser wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
When do they typically do swearing in for the bar passers in NY?
Mine was around January 20th in Albany. Different departments do it differently.

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:26 pm

Does anyone know if you have to get employment affidavits for C&F from professors you RA'd for? I'm guessing yes since it says all law-related employment.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:31 pm

Wholigan wrote:Does anyone know if you have to get employment affidavits for C&F from professors you RA'd for? I'm guessing yes since it says all law-related employment.
I did and it was easy. Some people weren't sure and didn't and it hasn't come back to bite them yet...

JIsaacSmith

New

Post by JIsaacSmith » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:29 pm

Any idea of where we find what department we have been assigned to? I don't remember ever seeing an e-mail about department assignments and want to get started on my C+F application.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Is the C&F application something we are supposed to be doing now?

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:49 pm

JIsaacSmith wrote:Any idea of where we find what department we have been assigned to? I don't remember ever seeing an e-mail about department assignments and want to get started on my C+F application.
I don't believe I knew what department I was until getting the "You passed!" email. I was surprised I didn't get First since I took the exam in Manhattan, ended up with Third. You can still start getting all of the relevant information together though (addresses, people you'll ask for personal references, addresses for employer affidavits, etc).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:50 pm

kaiser wrote:Is the C&F application something we are supposed to be doing now?
You don't have to do it until you know you pass, the faster its done, the faster you'll get sworn in which is why its good to get a jump on gathering the information.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:42 pm

The character and fitness application is a huge pain in the ass. Verification of employment by all my past employers - and then they have to send it back to me so i can send it back to the bar? Ugh. Also, it's just awkward contacting old employers you have no contact with anymore to get them to do something for you.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:21 am

snowpeach06 wrote:The character and fitness application is a huge pain in the ass. Verification of employment by all my past employers - and then they have to send it back to me so i can send it back to the bar? Ugh. Also, it's just awkward contacting old employers you have no contact with anymore to get them to do something for you.
You list all of your employers going back a certain amount of time, but IIRC only the legal employers have to do an affidavit and they can send it directly to the bar, doesn't have to come back to you.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:10 pm

Georgiana wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:The character and fitness application is a huge pain in the ass. Verification of employment by all my past employers - and then they have to send it back to me so i can send it back to the bar? Ugh. Also, it's just awkward contacting old employers you have no contact with anymore to get them to do something for you.
You list all of your employers going back a certain amount of time, but IIRC only the legal employers have to do an affidavit and they can send it directly to the bar, doesn't have to come back to you.
It says specifically on the form "The person completing this form affidvait should return it to the application, who should submit it with and at the same time as his her her application for admission questionnaire." And it says legal-related work since reaching the age of 21. Which for me isn't crazy, but it is four different offices, only one of whom has acknowledged my request thus far.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

floggered

New

Post by floggered » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:48 am

Georgiana wrote:
Wholigan wrote:Does anyone know if you have to get employment affidavits for C&F from professors you RA'd for? I'm guessing yes since it says all law-related employment.
I did and it was easy. Some people weren't sure and didn't and it hasn't come back to bite them yet...
I'm assuming this is the same for pro bono projects as well, then.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Yep, you do. I know someone who didn't think so, and they were required to get one at the last minute.

SprangTyme

New

Post by SprangTyme » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:01 pm

I am an out of state resident who took the bar in Manhattan, so I assumed I would be applying to and sending all my C&F stuff to the first department. But the email I got the other day was from the third department. Does anyone know if they determine the department you're assigned to based on residency or exam location? And does anyone know if I should be preparing my stuff for the First or Third division? It's only relevant because every other division besides the First can start sending their stuff in now. First is supposed to wait until the exam results come out.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:34 pm

SprangTyme wrote:I am an out of state resident who took the bar in Manhattan, so I assumed I would be applying to and sending all my C&F stuff to the first department. But the email I got the other day was from the third department. Does anyone know if they determine the department you're assigned to based on residency or exam location? And does anyone know if I should be preparing my stuff for the First or Third division? It's only relevant because every other division besides the First can start sending their stuff in now. First is supposed to wait until the exam results come out.
It's based on your address, not where you took the bar. If you work or live in the First Department, and want to be in the First Department for your swearing-in, you can submit a form to switch departments (but you need to provide a Manhattan address, either home or work). Otherwise, you're in the Third already and that's where you'll remain.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”