NY Bar Exam Application

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
User avatar
Slytherpuff

Platinum
Posts: 5401
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Slytherpuff » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:27 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
Sprout wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:Just starting to compile affidavits now and WOW, this is so annoying.

I am scared to begin.


Do you know if we are allowed to simply email the affidavits to the recipients? Or is it better practice to fill it out and mail it to them?

I'm giving my people the option of printing out the emailed form, or having me mail the form with a pre-paid return address envelope. You can electronically fill in the little header at the top with your name, judicial department, and BOLD ID.

User avatar
Slytherpuff

Platinum
Posts: 5401
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Slytherpuff » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:29 pm

I'm trying to get my affidavits together now so that if I pass, I'll be able to submit my paperwork immediately. It takes so long for NY to review everyone's paperwork that I just want to get everything in ASAP. I'm 1st Department so I can't submit any of the stuff before we get our results though.

User avatar
lolabear727

Bronze
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby lolabear727 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:55 pm

Has anyone had experience with transferring their UBE score from another jurisdiction to New York? About how long was the process? I'm thinking about taking the test in another jurisdiction and then transferring to New York because they just take so long to grade their exams. Thoughts?

nybar2017

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby nybar2017 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:37 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:I'm trying to get my affidavits together now so that if I pass, I'll be able to submit my paperwork immediately. It takes so long for NY to review everyone's paperwork that I just want to get everything in ASAP. I'm 1st Department so I can't submit any of the stuff before we get our results though.


I started sending out my affidavits as they get returned to me, but what about the school certificate? Your school sends that directly in, so how do you time that? Wait till you get the results before asking? Won't that be the delay?

Thanks!

zephyr12

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby zephyr12 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:55 am

lolabear727 wrote:Has anyone had experience with transferring their UBE score from another jurisdiction to New York? About how long was the process? I'm thinking about taking the test in another jurisdiction and then transferring to New York because they just take so long to grade their exams. Thoughts?


Just did this for the July 2017 exam WA --> NY. Got my results for WA on 9/8 (passing score in both states) and applied for UBE & MPRE score transfer via the BOLE website and NCBE the same day. On 9/22 I got my certification letter emailed to me from BOLE that they had received my UBE score, law school graduation cert form, and MPRE score so I was clear to submit the C&F application. So, it's a pretty quick turn around and I'm grateful I have my score since NY takers might have to wait a month or more still.

User avatar
lolabear727

Bronze
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby lolabear727 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:03 am

zephyr12 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:Has anyone had experience with transferring their UBE score from another jurisdiction to New York? About how long was the process? I'm thinking about taking the test in another jurisdiction and then transferring to New York because they just take so long to grade their exams. Thoughts?


Just did this for the July 2017 exam WA --> NY. Got my results for WA on 9/8 (passing score in both states) and applied for UBE & MPRE score transfer via the BOLE website and NCBE the same day. On 9/22 I got my certification letter emailed to me from BOLE that they had received my UBE score, law school graduation cert form, and MPRE score so I was clear to submit the C&F application. So, it's a pretty quick turn around and I'm grateful I have my score since NY takers might have to wait a month or more still.


That's awesome. So were you barred in New York shortly after 9/22? When will you sworn in?

zephyr12

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby zephyr12 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:19 am

lolabear727 wrote:
zephyr12 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:Has anyone had experience with transferring their UBE score from another jurisdiction to New York? About how long was the process? I'm thinking about taking the test in another jurisdiction and then transferring to New York because they just take so long to grade their exams. Thoughts?


Just did this for the July 2017 exam WA --> NY. Got my results for WA on 9/8 (passing score in both states) and applied for UBE & MPRE score transfer via the BOLE website and NCBE the same day. On 9/22 I got my certification letter emailed to me from BOLE that they had received my UBE score, law school graduation cert form, and MPRE score so I was clear to submit the C&F application. So, it's a pretty quick turn around and I'm grateful I have my score since NY takers might have to wait a month or more still.


That's awesome. So were you barred in New York shortly after 9/22? When will you sworn in?


Ugh I wish no I'm still waiting for the last of my former employer affidavits to trickle in. Once they do, then I can send off the multi-department admission packet (http://www.nybarexam.org/admission/admi ... Packet.htm) to the Third Department. Next step is then wait for the 3rd Dept to schedule the interview/swearing-in but I'm anticipating that that's going to happen when everyone else in NY is going through this process which will be January unfortunately.

User avatar
lolabear727

Bronze
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby lolabear727 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:02 pm

zephyr12 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
zephyr12 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:Has anyone had experience with transferring their UBE score from another jurisdiction to New York? About how long was the process? I'm thinking about taking the test in another jurisdiction and then transferring to New York because they just take so long to grade their exams. Thoughts?


Just did this for the July 2017 exam WA --> NY. Got my results for WA on 9/8 (passing score in both states) and applied for UBE & MPRE score transfer via the BOLE website and NCBE the same day. On 9/22 I got my certification letter emailed to me from BOLE that they had received my UBE score, law school graduation cert form, and MPRE score so I was clear to submit the C&F application. So, it's a pretty quick turn around and I'm grateful I have my score since NY takers might have to wait a month or more still.


That's awesome. So were you barred in New York shortly after 9/22? When will you sworn in?


Ugh I wish no I'm still waiting for the last of my former employer affidavits to trickle in. Once they do, then I can send off the multi-department admission packet (http://www.nybarexam.org/admission/admi ... Packet.htm) to the Third Department. Next step is then wait for the 3rd Dept to schedule the interview/swearing-in but I'm anticipating that that's going to happen when everyone else in NY is going through this process which will be January unfortunately.


Dang.. NY, why do you have to be so slow and annoying? I was thinking about retaking the UBE in Iowa this go round instead of NY again (I took February 2017 UBE in NY). Their passage rates seem to be MUCH higher. I would get my results 2 weeks earlier than NY and NY already has all of my stuff ready to go. I'm hoping that I could then be sworn in earlier than their usual end of June batch of people from the february examination.

qds6HVzD

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:45 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby qds6HVzD » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:39 am

Application just opened for July 2018 Bar exam.

Question 10(b)
Enter the month and year the applicant completed all coursework for the Juris Doctor degree. Note that this is NOT necessarily the same as the month of graduation.


The drop down only has selection up to 2017. Is anybody else having this issue?

byrnemj23

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:02 am

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby byrnemj23 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:03 am

qds6HVzD wrote:Application just opened for July 2018 Bar exam.

Question 10(b)
Enter the month and year the applicant completed all coursework for the Juris Doctor degree. Note that this is NOT necessarily the same as the month of graduation.


The drop down only has selection up to 2017. Is anybody else having this issue?



Yes, I am too.

UKATTORNEYUSA

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:38 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby UKATTORNEYUSA » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:40 am

Has anyone had an issue with their foreign law school credentials evaluation not on the file and to submit the transcripts again? I had my evaluation in 2009 and last time I sat the exam was Jul 2016. I could not register for Jul 18 exam without completing the online evaluation form. A bit confused as only first time applicants are required to submit law school transcripts.

User avatar
Kosmopol

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:47 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Kosmopol » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:51 am

qds6HVzD wrote:Application just opened for July 2018 Bar exam.

Question 10(b)
Enter the month and year the applicant completed all coursework for the Juris Doctor degree. Note that this is NOT necessarily the same as the month of graduation.


The drop down only has selection up to 2017. Is anybody else having this issue?


Yep, it's a big oversight. I'm sure they'll get a flood of calls about it tomorrow.

User avatar
Kosmopol

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:47 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Kosmopol » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:53 am

qds6HVzD wrote:Application just opened for July 2018 Bar exam.

Question 10(b)
Enter the month and year the applicant completed all coursework for the Juris Doctor degree. Note that this is NOT necessarily the same as the month of graduation.


The drop down only has selection up to 2017. Is anybody else having this issue?


Same here. It's quite an oversight. I imagine that it will be fixed by Tuesday, after they get a flood of panicked calls tomorrow.

qds6HVzD

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:45 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby qds6HVzD » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:03 am

Its fixed. Just applied.

adil91

Silver
Posts: 543
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby adil91 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:19 am

qds6HVzD wrote:Its fixed. Just applied.

Is there any advantage to applying earlier rather than later

qds6HVzD

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:45 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby qds6HVzD » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:57 am

adil91 wrote:
qds6HVzD wrote:Its fixed. Just applied.

Is there any advantage to applying earlier rather than later


It only takes about 15 min, so I rather just knock it out and not worry about it.

It also has something about location assaignment being at a first come first serve now. Not sure if it’s from app date or when they send further instruction.

qds6HVzD

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:45 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby qds6HVzD » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:52 pm

Not able to edit post above, but here is the verbiage on the website.

(3) NEW POLICY ON SEAT ASSIGNMENTS FOR BAR EXAM

The Board has changed its policy concerning Test Center assignments. Seating is no longer based on the applicant’s residential address as provided by the applicant on the bar exam application. Test Center assignments will be based on availability and on a first come, first-served basis at the time of the Board’s seating assignment email. No applicant is guaranteed a seat in any particular city or test center, even if the applicant lives or attended law school in that city. The Board’s seating assignment email is sent out after the application period closes (usually in early June for a July exam and early January for a February exam) and instructs applicants to select a test location from the list of available locations in the email. Only locations with available seats will be listed in the email. First-time applicants who graduate with a Juris Doctor degree from a New York State law school will be given the first opportunity to select a location

TheJuryMustDie

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby TheJuryMustDie » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:13 pm

UKATTORNEYUSA wrote:Has anyone had an issue with their foreign law school credentials evaluation not on the file and to submit the transcripts again? I had my evaluation in 2009 and last time I sat the exam was Jul 2016. I could not register for Jul 18 exam without completing the online evaluation form. A bit confused as only first time applicants are required to submit law school transcripts.


It did happen to me when I was registering for Feb. administration. I had to call them. They fixed it whilst on the phone with them. You may need to phone them.

UKATTORNEYUSA

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:38 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby UKATTORNEYUSA » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:31 am

TheJuryMustDie wrote:
UKATTORNEYUSA wrote:Has anyone had an issue with their foreign law school credentials evaluation not on the file and to submit the transcripts again? I had my evaluation in 2009 and last time I sat the exam was Jul 2016. I could not register for Jul 18 exam without completing the online evaluation form. A bit confused as only first time applicants are required to submit law school transcripts.


It did happen to me when I was registering for Feb. administration. I had to call them. They fixed it whilst on the phone with them. You may need to phone them.


Thanks, I called them and it was a system error. I'm good to go for the NY exam whoo hoo :D

Yankees1313

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby Yankees1313 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:00 am

Does something like an open container violation that I did not pay a fine for and just had to do an online video for count as something to be reported?

TheJuryMustDie

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby TheJuryMustDie » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:14 pm

UKATTORNEYUSA wrote:
TheJuryMustDie wrote:
UKATTORNEYUSA wrote:Has anyone had an issue with their foreign law school credentials evaluation not on the file and to submit the transcripts again? I had my evaluation in 2009 and last time I sat the exam was Jul 2016. I could not register for Jul 18 exam without completing the online evaluation form. A bit confused as only first time applicants are required to submit law school transcripts.


It did happen to me when I was registering for Feb. administration. I had to call them. They fixed it whilst on the phone with them. You may need to phone them.


Thanks, I called them and it was a system error. I'm good to go for the NY exam whoo hoo :D


Btw Ukattorneyusa, I also live in England. What resources are you using for the bar, please? My written part wasn't great for February, so I'm very unsure I'll pass. :( . I might as well start studying again now.

UKATTORNEYUSA

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:38 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby UKATTORNEYUSA » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:55 pm

TheJuryMustDie wrote:
UKATTORNEYUSA wrote:
TheJuryMustDie wrote:
UKATTORNEYUSA wrote:Has anyone had an issue with their foreign law school credentials evaluation not on the file and to submit the transcripts again? I had my evaluation in 2009 and last time I sat the exam was Jul 2016. I could not register for Jul 18 exam without completing the online evaluation form. A bit confused as only first time applicants are required to submit law school transcripts.


It did happen to me when I was registering for Feb. administration. I had to call them. They fixed it whilst on the phone with them. You may need to phone them.


Thanks, I called them and it was a system error. I'm good to go for the NY exam whoo hoo :D


Btw Ukattorneyusa, I also live in England. What resources are you using for the bar, please? My written part wasn't great for February, so I'm very unsure I'll pass. :( . I might as well start studying again now.


I've enrolled in the Barbri course, which cost around $3,000 (www.barbri.com). I also have past papers from NCBE (www.ncbex.org). I will be buying Kaplan flashcards that will be on sale from 1 May. But critical pass flashcards are popular. What was your score? I took the exam in Jul 16 with a score of 238. What materials do you have? I can sell you my Themis 2017 outlines and lecture notes if you're interested.

TheJuryMustDie

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby TheJuryMustDie » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:53 am

UKATTORNEYUSA wrote:
TheJuryMustDie wrote:
UKATTORNEYUSA wrote:
TheJuryMustDie wrote:
UKATTORNEYUSA wrote:Has anyone had an issue with their foreign law school credentials evaluation not on the file and to submit the transcripts again? I had my evaluation in 2009 and last time I sat the exam was Jul 2016. I could not register for Jul 18 exam without completing the online evaluation form. A bit confused as only first time applicants are required to submit law school transcripts.


It did happen to me when I was registering for Feb. administration. I had to call them. They fixed it whilst on the phone with them. You may need to phone them.


Thanks, I called them and it was a system error. I'm good to go for the NY exam whoo hoo :D


Btw Ukattorneyusa, I also live in England. What resources are you using for the bar, please? My written part wasn't great for February, so I'm very unsure I'll pass. :( . I might as well start studying again now.


I've enrolled in the Barbri course, which cost around $3,000 (http://www.barbri.com). I also have past papers from NCBE (http://www.ncbex.org). I will be buying Kaplan flashcards that will be on sale from 1 May. But critical pass flashcards are popular. What was your score? I took the exam in Jul 16 with a score of 238. What materials do you have? I can sell you my Themis 2017 outlines and lecture notes if you're interested.


Well, still expecting the February results. But I don't think my essays and MPTs went really well, that part was in fact mediocre, hence, my fretting. My score for July 2017 was a 251 with 140 MBE. Scored 147 on the MBE in the Feb. 2016, still failed! :( :( :(

UKATTORNEYUSA

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:38 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby UKATTORNEYUSA » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:36 am

TheJuryMustDie wrote:
UKATTORNEYUSA wrote:
TheJuryMustDie wrote:
UKATTORNEYUSA wrote:
TheJuryMustDie wrote:
UKATTORNEYUSA wrote:Has anyone had an issue with their foreign law school credentials evaluation not on the file and to submit the transcripts again? I had my evaluation in 2009 and last time I sat the exam was Jul 2016. I could not register for Jul 18 exam without completing the online evaluation form. A bit confused as only first time applicants are required to submit law school transcripts.


It did happen to me when I was registering for Feb. administration. I had to call them. They fixed it whilst on the phone with them. You may need to phone them.


Thanks, I called them and it was a system error. I'm good to go for the NY exam whoo hoo :D


Btw Ukattorneyusa, I also live in England. What resources are you using for the bar, please? My written part wasn't great for February, so I'm very unsure I'll pass. :( . I might as well start studying again now.


I've enrolled in the Barbri course, which cost around $3,000 (http://www.barbri.com). I also have past papers from NCBE (http://www.ncbex.org). I will be buying Kaplan flashcards that will be on sale from 1 May. But critical pass flashcards are popular. What was your score? I took the exam in Jul 16 with a score of 238. What materials do you have? I can sell you my Themis 2017 outlines and lecture notes if you're interested.


Well, still expecting the February results. But I don't think my essays and MPTs went really well, that part was in fact mediocre, hence, my fretting. My score for July 2017 was a 251 with 140 MBE. Scored 147 on the MBE in the Feb. 2016, still failed! :( :( :(


Great MBE scores!. If you don't pass this time round, then I suggest practice writing essays and MPTs. But I hope you do pass! Good luck with the results :)

adil91

Silver
Posts: 543
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Postby adil91 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:09 am

qds6HVzD wrote:
adil91 wrote:
qds6HVzD wrote:Its fixed. Just applied.

Is there any advantage to applying earlier rather than later


It only takes about 15 min, so I rather just knock it out and not worry about it.

It also has something about location assaignment being at a first come first serve now. Not sure if it’s from app date or when they send further instruction.


For the credit awarded toward JD question do we write how many credits we have now or how many we'll have at graduation?



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests