NY Bar Exam Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bport hopeful

Gold

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:15 pm

northwood wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:The letter I received for my interview date says something about a registration fee. Where do I pay that?

Fourth Dept.

are you talking about the 375 attorney fee that the 4th department mailed to us using green paper? I think you send it directly to the NYC address on the form.
Hmmm. did not receive this.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:21 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
northwood wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:The letter I received for my interview date says something about a registration fee. Where do I pay that?

Fourth Dept.

are you talking about the 375 attorney fee that the 4th department mailed to us using green paper? I think you send it directly to the NYC address on the form.

Mine was in the packet that with the letter dated from August. If you call the Department tomorrow ( the number is on the website) they will tell you where to get the form, download it and fill it out ( it takes longer to download than to complete)

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:42 pm

northwood wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
northwood wrote:

Fourth Dept.

Mine was in the packet that with the letter dated from August. If you call the Department tomorrow ( the number is on the website) they will tell you where to get the form, download it and fill it out ( it takes longer to download than to complete)
Thanks for the info.

Couldnt just make it easy on me, could they?

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:14 pm

prs362 wrote:
Lawst wrote:
prs362 wrote:
gmr189 wrote:I seem to have misplaced my interview letter (i know the location, time, etc.) but does anyone know if we have to specifically bring anything to the interview besides ourselves?
No need to bring anything, but if you're in the 1st Department at least, make sure to mail your application/check before your interview. Lots of people on Tuesday were sent running to the post office.
I thought the first department didn't even schedule interviews until after your application was submitted? I haven't heard anything about an interview yet, but I hope to send in my application next week.
I dropped my packet off in person a day or so after results came out. Getting sworn in tomorrow. But everyone else I know hasn't even turned in their app, so don't worry about it.

Edit: just realized you were asking about the part where I said to mail your application I'm before interviewing. When they schedule the interview, there is a 1 page form they send you to fill out and send in with a $350 check. This is what has to be submitted prior to the interview.
Ah, OK, that makes sense. I'm guessing they want cash or check, no credit card. Asking for a friend who is also poor and underemployed.

ETA: It looks like you can use a card. http://www.nycourts.gov/attorneys/regis ... ndex.shtml
Not sure if I can pay by card for this first payment, but I guess I'll find out when I get the letter.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:59 am

My app was delivered to the 1st department about two weeks ago. Radio silence. Normal, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sgtpeppernyc

Bronze

Post by Sgtpeppernyc » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:50 pm

shock259 wrote:My app was delivered to the 1st department about two weeks ago. Radio silence. Normal, right?
Not to freak you out, but I hand-delivered mine at the 1st dep't last Wednesday and got my interview date / swearing in ceremony in the mail today. That said, different reviewers have different processes / timings, so that doesn't mean much.

Sgtpeppernyc

Bronze

Post by Sgtpeppernyc » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:52 pm

So I just got my interview / swearing in date in the mail, after filing for 1st dep't last Wed. I was worried that a few C&F questions would hold me up, so I'm wondering if this means that they won't be an issue or it just means that they've received my app.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:51 pm

northwood wrote:

They said it cant be downloaded. Has to be mailed. I wonder if this will delay me.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:39 am

encore1101 wrote:
SammyJ wrote:For those applying to the Second Department, how long after you sent in your application did you get some sort of confirmation that they received it? Fedex says my application was delivered on 11/14 but I still haven't heard anything. Thanks in advance.
Second Department. Mailed via registered mail around 11/12. Have not heard anything.

So I called yesterday to inquire about my application. They said that my application was marked as complete on 12/5, and I should be receiving some communication about an interview sometime this week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SammyJ

New

Post by SammyJ » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:41 am

encore1101 wrote:
encore1101 wrote:
SammyJ wrote:For those applying to the Second Department, how long after you sent in your application did you get some sort of confirmation that they received it? Fedex says my application was delivered on 11/14 but I still haven't heard anything. Thanks in advance.
Second Department. Mailed via registered mail around 11/12. Have not heard anything.

So I called yesterday to inquire about my application. They said that my application was marked as complete on 12/5, and I should be receiving some communication about an interview sometime this week.
Good to know. I still haven't heard anything, so I guess it's time for me to call as well. Thanks for the info!

comet_halley

New

Post by comet_halley » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:09 pm

Any update from 3rd Department? I got an e-mail that they already got my application before Thanksgiving, but never heard from them since then.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:04 pm

comet_halley wrote:Any update from 3rd Department? I got an e-mail that they already got my application before Thanksgiving, but never heard from them since then.
My documents were received on November 28th and I received my interview date by letter today for January 21st.

MikeSmith

New

Post by MikeSmith » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:41 pm

BullShitWithBravado wrote:
comet_halley wrote:Any update from 3rd Department? I got an e-mail that they already got my application before Thanksgiving, but never heard from them since then.
My documents were received on November 28th and I received my interview date by letter today for January 21st.
Does this mean you essentially passed the C&F part? Because you were given an interview date?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:48 pm

Is there anything one can do to prepare for the interview?

nybarapp3014

New

Post by nybarapp3014 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:12 pm

Has anyone else in the Second Department had problems with attaining codes from the online Orientation to the Profession course? I just watched all the videos and didn't hear them give any of the codes and am a little confused

acg

New

Post by acg » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:39 pm

codes are displayed in each video at random times. no sound notification or anything.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:51 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Is there anything one can do to prepare for the interview?
And should I be bringing anything.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:06 am

bport hopeful wrote:

What would you prepare for? I thought the interview was a formality and they just ask you basic questions about your application/life/legal job/etc.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:31 am

shock259 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:

What would you prepare for? I thought the interview was a formality and they just ask you basic questions about your application/life/legal job/etc.
Yeah, thats pretty much my understanding, but insight never hurts.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:17 pm

SammyJ wrote:
encore1101 wrote:
encore1101 wrote:

Good to know. I still haven't heard anything, so I guess it's time for me to call as well. Thanks for the info!

Just as an update:

Documents sent in approximately 11/13ish/2014.
Sent in an addendum on 11/30/2014 notifying them I got a speeding ticket on thanksgiving (fuck you nys police)
Called on 12/9/2014. Was notified that my application was marked as complete and sent to an interviewer on 12/5/2014.

Received a post card in the mail today, scheduling an interview on 12/23/2014. The interview takes place during working hours and is a few blocks away from my work.

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:24 pm

Finally got my interview letter today, now just have to get a hotel room in Albany...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thelawyerguy

New

Post by thelawyerguy » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:19 am

notedgarfigaro wrote:Finally got my interview letter today, now just have to get a hotel room in Albany...
When did you send in your stuff?

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:05 am

thelawyerguy wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:Finally got my interview letter today, now just have to get a hotel room in Albany...
When did you send in your stuff?
Monday after thanksgiving.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:15 am

How do you track down traffic ticket info?

I was traveling out of state and I got a traffic ticket in 2011. It was in VA but I have no idea the county (there are ~95 counties).

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:25 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:How do you track down traffic ticket info?

I was traveling out of state and I got a traffic ticket in 2011. It was in VA but I have no idea the county (there are ~95 counties).
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/general/#r ... p...should be on there, and other states should have similar request options.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”