NY Bar Exam Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
LiberalLaw

New

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Post by LiberalLaw » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:37 pm

http://all4jds.com/forums/aft/24245.aspx

Any modicum of truth to a release this week?

AJS30

Bronze

Post by AJS30 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:59 pm

LiberalLaw wrote:http://all4jds.com/forums/aft/24245.aspx

Any modicum of truth to a release this week?
I don't think so. I think they put a message on their site like a day or two beforehand to announce when results will be released. I do think that they will be released late next week though as they came out Oct 30th last year.

LiberalLaw

New

Post by LiberalLaw » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:09 pm

I figured as much. Oct 30 is the earliest release date over the last few years.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:38 pm

AJS30 wrote:
I don't think so. I think they put a message on their site like a day or two beforehand to announce when results will be released. I do think that they will be released late next week though as they came out Oct 30th last year.
Is this true? I thought I remember it being a surprise. Like a midnight release or something. Am I making up memories?

AJS30

Bronze

Post by AJS30 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:53 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
AJS30 wrote:
Is this true? I thought I remember it being a surprise. Like a midnight release or something. Am I making up memories?
Maybe I lied. I looked back to last year, I guess NY just gives notice that day and then emails start coming out at midnight.

It seems last year the BOLE posted this on Oct 29th, so I guess they give 12 hours notice. I still don't think they will be released until next week, even though I guess I just want to know already, but given everything with the MBE, I'm not expecting a pleasant email. Notice below from last year:

* NOTICE *

The results for the July 2013 New York State bar examination will be released on October 30, 2013. The results will be sent to the candidates by email to the last address on file with the Board. Please note that there may be some delays in receiving the email depending on security issues with individual email providers. The results will also be available to the candidates by using the private lookup link that will be available on this site on October 30. The public list of the names of the passing candidates will be available on this site after 12:00 pm on October 31, 2013.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:56 pm

Thanks for the info.

PassachusettsMan

New

Post by PassachusettsMan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:26 am

SO, kinda changing the whole discussion to slightly more hopeful note. I took the NY Bar (and as you can guess from my user ID, MA), but I have no pro bono hours. Is it possible to delay my admission, and for how long? I have heard people pushing back their admission, but I don't recall them telling me whether there is a time limit for such delay? I know this may be on NY website, but I don't have the nerves to check that site as of now, so it will be greatly appreciated if somebody tell me if they know.

Also, is there somebody else in similar dilemma? I totally slacked off my 3L year and refused to do pro bono hours.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:27 am

PassachusettsMan wrote:SO, kinda changing the whole discussion to slightly more hopeful note. I took the NY Bar (and as you can guess from my user ID, MA), but I have no pro bono hours. Is it possible to delay my admission, and for how long? I have heard people pushing back their admission, but I don't recall them telling me whether there is a time limit for such delay? I know this may be on NY website, but I don't have the nerves to check that site as of now, so it will be greatly appreciated if somebody tell me if they know.

Also, is there somebody else in similar dilemma? I totally slacked off my 3L year and refused to do pro bono hours.
you have three years to get admitted

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:32 am

PassachusettsMan wrote:SO, kinda changing the whole discussion to slightly more hopeful note. I took the NY Bar (and as you can guess from my user ID, MA), but I have no pro bono hours. Is it possible to delay my admission, and for how long? I have heard people pushing back their admission, but I don't recall them telling me whether there is a time limit for such delay? I know this may be on NY website, but I don't have the nerves to check that site as of now, so it will be greatly appreciated if somebody tell me if they know.

I cant answer your question, but I assume youre in Department 3? If thats the case, I think you have until the middle of december to get the hours.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PassachusettsMan

New

Post by PassachusettsMan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:57 am

Thanks bport hopeful and El Pollito. I just began working abroad so I guess I have to take a week or two within the next three years to really pro bono the hell out.

Thanks again :)

lawgrl21

Bronze

Post by lawgrl21 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:27 am

Does anyone know if there is a particular day of the week that the results tend to come out on? I am not sure if there is any type of pattern and was curious if anyone has looked into that.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:59 pm

lawgrl21 wrote:Does anyone know if there is a particular day of the week that the results tend to come out on? I am not sure if there is any type of pattern and was curious if anyone has looked into that.
From the NY bar exam website:

Thurs Apr 24, 2014
Wed Oct 30, 2013
Thurs May 2, 2013
Fri Nov 2, 2012
Wed May 2, 2012

I wouldn't waste efforts trying to find patterns. We've waited this long, and it will likely be the end of next week. Or maybe it won't and we will wait longer.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:08 pm

JenDarby wrote:
lawgrl21 wrote:Does anyone know if there is a particular day of the week that the results tend to come out on? I am not sure if there is any type of pattern and was curious if anyone has looked into that.
From the NY bar exam website:

Thurs Apr 24, 2014
Wed Oct 30, 2013
Thurs May 2, 2013
Fri Nov 2, 2012
Wed May 2, 2012

I wouldn't waste efforts trying to find patterns. We've waited this long, and it will likely be the end of next week. Or maybe it won't and we will wait longer.
I think this is the most relevant analysis:

Wed., Oct. 30, 2013
Fri., Nov. 2, 2012
Wed., Nov., 2, 2011
Fri., Nov. 5, 2010
Thurs., Nov. 5, 2009

So the earliest we'll find out is this Wed., October 29, but it could be as long as the following Friday.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Who is everyone using for their moral character affidavits? There are so many exclusions that I do not think I can find an attorney to do it. Thinking of just using my friends.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:26 pm

shock259 wrote:Who is everyone using for their moral character affidavits? There are so many exclusions that I do not think I can find an attorney to do it. Thinking of just using my friends.
I didn't use an attorney because I literally dont know one outside of work/school/less than 2 years. I settled for a person who is in law enforcement and has known me for most of my life.

Felt stupid, but any attorney I knew was excluded for some reason or another.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:28 pm

shock259 wrote:Who is everyone using for their moral character affidavits? There are so many exclusions that I do not think I can find an attorney to do it. Thinking of just using my friends.
I was struggling with this too. I'm considering a guy who ran a program for mentoring high school students that I did for two years before law school, but I haven't seen him in three years. Alternatively, I may use my mentee to do a character affidavit. I wrote college recommendations for him, so that would probably work.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:29 pm

i didn't use an atty a year ago when i did it, just two friends. no big deal.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:33 pm

5ky wrote:
This is good news. Thanks for the info.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:35 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
5ky wrote:
This is good news. Thanks for the info.
Awesome, thanks 5ky.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:30 pm

Thanks for the info! Good to know.

Also, I just read the application instructions again and all of the affidavits must be "original" documents. So no photocopies? Ugh. This is going to make everything much more painful/time-consuming.

jhilly123

New

Post by jhilly123 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:29 am

Yes, you need to send in all original documents (with original signatures), so any forms you email to employers/moral character affidavits/school forms must have your original signature and the other person's original signature. Make sure you make a photocopy of everything as well, just in case.

Also, unless you're in the First Department, I would send in all your documents now. I called the Third Department last week and the person I spoke with said I should send them in now to reserve a spot. He said I could probably still reserve a spot for January when the results came out but he would strongly advise me to mail in it before the results came out (even though they haven't started looking at them yet). Also, they keep all your documents for up to 2 years and if you don't pass within that time, they mail it back to you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:15 am

^ you're really on your application game, good work.

Since you can't save changes to the PDF forms, did you guys email blank copies to employers and then hand write the portion to be completed by applicant?

jhilly123

New

Post by jhilly123 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:34 am

JenDarby wrote:^ you're really on your application game, good work.

Since you can't save changes to the PDF forms, did you guys email blank copies to employers and then hand write the portion to be completed by applicant?
Lol, thanks. I thought I was slow because it's been over a month since the email came out and everyone is so keen.

You can actually save your information if you download a copy of the form and save it onto your laptop/desktop. Then enter your info and save it again, and then you can email it and all your info is saved. At least that's how I did it and I didn't have any problems (or have to hand write my info in).

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:43 am

jhilly123 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:^ you're really on your application game, good work.

Lol, thanks. I thought I was slow because it's been over a month since the email came out and everyone is so keen.

You can actually save your information if you download a copy of the form and save it onto your laptop/desktop. Then enter your info and save it again, and then you can email it and all your info is saved. At least that's how I did it and I didn't have any problems (or have to hand write my info in).
I just realized I was opening with Reader and not Acrobat which was preventing saving. Thanks!

LiberalLaw

New

Post by LiberalLaw » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:48 pm

The bar examination is administered twice per year, on the last Tuesday and Wednesday of February and July. In 2014, the Board processed 17,010 applications for the bar examination and examined 15,227 applicants.

That was updated. Results next?

Just for fun, according to the website, 11195 people sat for the exam, and the law journal stated that 11797 people sat for the exam.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”