NY Bar Exam Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
pizzasodafries

Bronze

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Post by pizzasodafries » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:35 pm

shock259 wrote:
pizzasodafries wrote:Softest has a random password that is needed to be inputted together with your Bole ID. Any way we can bring a slip of paper with that login in case we need to login from Javits center?

Is there wifi there?
I just loaded mine up and hit "take an exam." I see the July 29th AM and PM exams in the pulldown. And then there's an exam password, which I assume they will give to us tomorrow. Not sure what you are describing.
Then your good, everytime I open mine up I have to click on either my NY Bole or NJ account and password is not autofilled. I'll figure it out somehow

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:17 pm

So what things do we need to be doing post bar?

bendurnotes4me

New

Post by bendurnotes4me » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:34 pm

So this is a really stupid question but someone please humor me because I am a bit lost. How do we know what department we are in? I took it in Albany because I live abroad. I only just now changed my address so if I was sent a letter before I don't think I've gotten it.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:52 pm

bendurnotes4me wrote:So this is a really stupid question but someone please humor me because I am a bit lost. How do we know what department we are in? I took it in Albany because I live abroad. I only just now changed my address so if I was sent a letter before I don't think I've gotten it.
You apply for admission in whatever department you want. When you signed up for the bar exam you would have selected one, but when it comes time to actually apply you can pick a different one. This website explains it:

http://www.nybarexam.org/Admission/Admission.htm

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:39 am

The Third Department posted a letter to applicants on their website - http://www.nycourts.gov/ad3/admissions/

Has anyone received this letter in the mail yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:18 pm

badaboom61 wrote:The Third Department posted a letter to applicants on their website - http://www.nycourts.gov/ad3/admissions/

Has anyone received this letter in the mail yet?
I got the letter by email today. Of course, this is a week or so after BOLE confirmed that it had reassigned me to the first department after I notified them of my change of address. I guess no one told the third department.

turquoiseturtle

Bronze

Post by turquoiseturtle » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:43 am

Question about the application: Since C.15 of the general app requires affidavits from our law-related employers, I'm assuming that any work we did as pro bono volunteers doesn't count as "employment" so that we don't need 2 affidavits from that person? (One for law-related and one for the 50 hours requirement). For some reason the fact that they include employment "with or without compensation" trips me up and makes me think literally everything I do is employment. But volunteering, even long term, isn't employment right? I'm overthinking this.

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:44 pm

turquoiseturtle wrote:Question about the application: Since C.15 of the general app requires affidavits from our law-related employers, I'm assuming that any work we did as pro bono volunteers doesn't count as "employment" so that we don't need 2 affidavits from that person? (One for law-related and one for the 50 hours requirement). For some reason the fact that they include employment "with or without compensation" trips me up and makes me think literally everything I do is employment. But volunteering, even long term, isn't employment right? I'm overthinking this.
I was told that you need an affidavit for pretty much everything legal, including pro bono and volunteer work. My CSO advised to even get affidavits from clinics if you did any degree of client-based work for them. I got both an employment affidavit and a pro bono affidavit from my unpaid 1L summer job.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:00 am

turquoiseturtle wrote:Question about the application: Since C.15 of the general app requires affidavits from our law-related employers, I'm assuming that any work we did as pro bono volunteers doesn't count as "employment" so that we don't need 2 affidavits from that person? (One for law-related and one for the 50 hours requirement). For some reason the fact that they include employment "with or without compensation" trips me up and makes me think literally everything I do is employment. But volunteering, even long term, isn't employment right? I'm overthinking this.
Not that U of W is the expert on NY Bar C&F but here's their take: http://law.wisc.edu/probono/ny_rule.html

They recommend their students get two affidavits after doing pro bono: (1) the pro bono form and (2) law-related affidavit employment.

My understanding from the language in the C&F application is that it required an affidavit from any place you did pro bono work that is legal in nature. It says:
A complete application consists of the application questionnaire, all required accompanying forms and supporting documentation, including two Affidavits of Good Moral Character, and Legal Employment Affidavits from every law-related position you have held, including paid or unpaid internships, summer associate positions, volunteer work in law school clinics or elsewhere

(emphasis added)

If you're still doubtful I'd try to call the departments or ask a C&F attorney.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

turquoiseturtle

Bronze

Post by turquoiseturtle » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:13 am

Guchster wrote:
My understanding from the language in the C&F application is that it required an affidavit from any place you did pro bono work that is legal in nature. It says:
A complete application consists of the application questionnaire, all required accompanying forms and supporting documentation, including two Affidavits of Good Moral Character, and Legal Employment Affidavits from every law-related position you have held, including paid or unpaid internships, summer associate positions, volunteer work in law school clinics or elsewhere

(emphasis added)

If you're still doubtful I'd try to call the departments or ask a C&F attorney.
That quote does make it sound like I should be getting two. But the instructions for the actual question say:
... law-related work-study employment, and law-related employment for academic credit only, including participation in law school clinics and externships, and work as a research assistant.
Just to help clarify my pro bono hours are cobbled together from very very very temporary positions. Like, VITA, where where I spent 8 hours ONE DAY helping people do their taxes. It would be totally ridiculous to consider that "employment." The U of W advice seems different and I agree with their two form interpretation but its for things much more like employment than I think I have.

My unpaid summer 1L job I definitely got a law-related affidavit. I'll make an attempt to call though and see if I get any answer. I'll report back!

Edit: Completely non-helpful. They "don't make those decisions and leave it to the applicant." I guess since I'm already sending these poor poor people forms they have to do, I can ask for employment ones too but those have to be notarized by them which adds more annoyance.

salvage

Bronze

Post by salvage » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:53 pm

Question about Affidavits for Law-Related employment: For a Summer Associate position at a biglaw firm, should I just ask the head of recruiting or HR to fill out this affidavit? Also, are two affidavits necessary from this employer (one for each of the SA and the current employment as a full-time associate)?

salvage

Bronze

Post by salvage » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:54 am

Is there any consensus as to what they are asking for on question 16?

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:12 pm

Does the Notice of Certification from the admission committee only come after results are released?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fishfry553

New

Post by fishfry553 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:06 pm

did anyone get the e-mail from 3rd division with the pdf attachment TWO times in September?

i can't find anyone else who got it 2x. i called the 3rd division and they said there was some kind of e-mail mistake and they only emailed a small number of people the first time and so they had to send it out again after that.

kind of terrified "a small number of people" means "the people who failed list"

BHDLaw

Bronze

Post by BHDLaw » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:51 pm

fishfry553 wrote:did anyone get the e-mail from 3rd division with the pdf attachment TWO times in September?

i can't find anyone else who got it 2x. i called the 3rd division and they said there was some kind of e-mail mistake and they only emailed a small number of people the first time and so they had to send it out again after that.

Got the email twice. Doubt that's the case because it would mean the results were finalized as of September 9.

turquoiseturtle

Bronze

Post by turquoiseturtle » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:54 pm

fishfry553 wrote:did anyone get the e-mail from 3rd division with the pdf attachment TWO times in September?

I'm sure they weren't done by September 9! But NY does regrade some of the barely failing exams right? So if you passed, they may have already figured that out since presumably they'd need time to regrade the barely failed ones.

fishfry553

New

Post by fishfry553 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:36 pm

well... very glad to hear at least one other person got it twice. i hope you're someone who is feeling confident about passing. the wait is killllinnggg me. i guess that is probably obvious.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

turquoiseturtle

Bronze

Post by turquoiseturtle » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:12 pm

fishfry553 wrote:well... very glad to hear at least one other person got it twice. i hope you're someone who is feeling confident about passing. the wait is killllinnggg me. i guess that is probably obvious.
fishfry553 wrote:well... very glad to hear at least one other person got it twice. i hope you're someone who is feeling confident about passing. the wait is killllinnggg me. i guess that is probably obvious.
Sorry, didn't mean that to at all imply that I think the two emails mean anything. I'm also not in the third division anyway, so I can't even say whether I got 2 emails since I got none from them.

Was just noting that for people who passed (I'm sure you did! Be positive!) the bar presumably already knows as of around now.

AJS30

Bronze

Post by AJS30 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:41 am

turquoiseturtle wrote:
Sorry, didn't mean that to at all imply that I think the two emails mean anything. I'm also not in the third division anyway, so I can't even say whether I got 2 emails since I got none from them.

Was just noting that for people who passed (I'm sure you did! Be positive!) the bar presumably already knows as of around now.
Yeah, they definitely know by now as they have disabled the "change of address" function until after results are released.

dogfan14

New

Post by dogfan14 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:22 am

Does anyone know if we can e-mail a scanned copy of the employment affidavit to our employers, who then print, fill it out by hand, and mail back the notarized copy to us? I.e. instead of us mailing a print out of the form, can we just e-mail a scan after we fill out the applicant section at the top?

A couple of my employers are abroad, and this would be a far easier/efficient way to send it in to them....

Thanks!

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:10 am

dogfan14 wrote:Does anyone know if we can e-mail a scanned copy of the employment affidavit to our employers, who then print, fill it out by hand, and mail back the notarized copy to us? I.e. instead of us mailing a print out of the form, can we just e-mail a scan after we fill out the applicant section at the top?

A couple of my employers are abroad, and this would be a far easier/efficient way to send it in to them....

Thanks!
I honestly haven't put that much thought into yet, but I think my plan is to email them the entirely blank form so that they can fill it out on the computer. Then once I receive that back, I will fill out my portion by hand.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jhilly123

New

Post by jhilly123 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:38 am

I filled out the top portion, saved it, and emailed it to my former employers and fortunately I was able to go in person to pick it up, but it doesn't matter if they mail it to you, as long as you have the original signatures.

dogfan14

New

Post by dogfan14 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:18 am

Confirmed that e-mailing is fine.

michael2015

New

Post by michael2015 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:24 am

Tag

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:58 pm

JenDarby wrote:
dogfan14 wrote:Does anyone know if we can e-mail a scanned copy of the employment affidavit to our employers, who then print, fill it out by hand, and mail back the notarized copy to us? I.e. instead of us mailing a print out of the form, can we just e-mail a scan after we fill out the applicant section at the top?

Thanks!
I honestly haven't put that much thought into yet, but I think my plan is to email them the entirely blank form so that they can fill it out on the computer. Then once I receive that back, I will fill out my portion by hand.
This is what I did.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”