NY Bar Exam Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jtx86

New

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Post by jtx86 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:59 pm

petsoundspop wrote:This is probably more info than you wanted, but oh well. The actual application for registering for the exam is extremely simple and took about ten minutes. Beware though, NY does not accept late applications (even with a fee), so be sure to get your app in by the deadline.

Your test center assignment comes later. If you are from out of state (like I was), you will be assigned to Albany. You are assigned to a certain department (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th) depending on where your residence is. Taking it in Albany actually worked out better for me, as it was a less hectic environment than that my friends experienced in Manhattan. I booked a room in the actual hotel I was taking the exam, so got to come up for lunch, etc. On the actual exam day, it took literally five seconds to get from my room to the check-in line. It definitely helped decrease the stress.

I'm in the Second Department and can therefore only comment on my experience with them. The Character and Fitness portion comes after the bar exam, and takes a while. I switched my assigned department after talking the exam (to the 2nd department) since I moved in state. You need to submit legal affidavits signed by EVERY legal employer you've ever had (including before law school, unpaid internships, and law school clinics, i.e. ANYTHING legally-related). The affidavit just provides the date you worked there and asks if there is any reason you wouldn't be fit to practice law. This is a pain in the ass and took months to collect (I started sending them out in August, months before I knew whether I passed).

You also need to submit two "moral character" affidavits. At least in the second department these character affidavits are only good for 60 days. This means that you have to time it out so that you leave enough time for your affiants to fill out the character affidavits, but not so much time that the 60 days passes when it is time to submit your application. I received notification that I passed the NY bar exam the first week of November (for the July '11 administration). I sent in my completed packet that same week. So if you want to plan it out, just be sure to get your "character affidavits" in by the first week of November.

To be honest, the whole process is a pain in the ass (especially gathering and collecting all the affidavits). The 60 day rule makes absolutely no sense to me, considering that your moral character, or lack thereof, seems unlikely to change after 60 days.

After you submit your paperwork, you are required to have an "interview". I had to wait about four months to get an interview date. It lasted two minutes. I've been told that once you've received an interview date, you've been cleared by C+F and therefore it is just a formality. About a month after the interview I got a letter in the mail with my swearing-in date.

Two big pieces of advice for NY: 1) Get your affidavits and paperwork ready such that as SOON as you find you passed (they notify you via-email), you can drop your completed app in the mail that same day and 2) At least for the Second department you are required to take an "Orientation to the Profession Course" before you can be sworn in. The problem is that this information is hard to find out on their website and the slots fill up very, very quickly. Therefore, you don't want to be in a position (like a lot of people out there I know) where you have passed the bar exam, have been cleared by C+F, had your interview, but cannot be sworn in for another four months because you are waiting on a date to attend this program. Register for it right after passing!

All told, it'll be 5 months from the date of passing the exam to getting sworn in (two weeks! yes!). Hope this helps.

Do you think the process is expedited for February bar-passers? Anyone know from experience?

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:29 am

So, just to make sure I have this correct, after I have finished the online application and received my verification page, there is nothing I should/can do until May 1st. On that day I will have to choose a test site.

Is that correct?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:57 am

I think the NY Bar determines your test site based on what department your permanent address is located ( if a NY resident), but im not sure. However, as long as you get that confirmation ticket- you do not need to do anything until after May 1 ( when they mail you the affidavits and writing sample that you must do before a notary).

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:01 pm

northwood wrote:I think the NY Bar determines your test site based on what department your permanent address is located ( if a NY resident), but im not sure. However, as long as you get that confirmation ticket- you do not need to do anything until after May 1 ( when they mail you the affidavits and writing sample that you must do before a notary).
Thanks. None of my classmates are taking NY and their processes are very different. Freaked me out a bit.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:20 pm

You also don't pick your test site on May 1, that comes later. Mine was in mid=June

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Tue May 06, 2014 9:54 pm

So I got an email yesterday about laptop software but not about location. Is this the norm?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue May 06, 2014 10:19 pm

bport hopeful wrote:So I got an email yesterday about laptop software but not about location. Is this the norm?
Yes. When I called on Monday I was told to expect an email with the test center options in a week or two. You need to complete the laptop download and registration by 430 Pm may 29 or you will have to hand write the test. Also the hand writing sample needs to be turned in by June 15( be put in their hands) and they also need a certificate of law school attendance( which your school sends to them). Not sure when this is due, but I think we do. It bed to worry about it, and I'm sure te school won't mess THAT up.

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:32 pm

northwood wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:So I got an email yesterday about laptop software but not about location. Is this the norm?
Yes. When I called on Monday I was told to expect an email with the test center options in a week or two. You need to complete the laptop download and registration by 430 Pm may 29 or you will have to hand write the test. Also the hand writing sample needs to be turned in by June 15( be put in their hands) and they also need a certificate of law school attendance( which your school sends to them). Not sure when this is due, but I think we do. It bed to worry about it, and I'm sure te school won't mess THAT up.
I didn't realize until you mentioned it that we had to send a handwriting sample. Is there a reason they don't mention that in the application instructions (http://www.nybarexam.org/Admission/Admi ... Packet.htm)? Anything else not in there that we should know about?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed May 07, 2014 10:45 am

Thats about it.. just make sure that you do not write anything on the forms until you are in front of a notary. Otherwise they may give you a hard time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed May 07, 2014 4:44 pm

Handwriting sample should have been emailed to te email address you used to register. It has all of your pertinents that the bar people want so print it out an complete it in front of a notary ( your school should have one) and make sure the board examiners get it by June 15. Check with your records/ registration office to see if they do one big mailing or if you have to do it yourself.

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Wed May 07, 2014 4:51 pm

Very good info! :)

iiifly

New

Post by iiifly » Wed May 07, 2014 9:31 pm

Good advice above. I'd like to thank the guy who reminded me of the orientation requirement. Just signed up.

Anyone know how long it takes to get a C&F response for a Feb Passer who submitted the paperwork as soon as the good news hit?

daagermy1

New

Post by daagermy1 » Sun May 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Tag. Great info!

Any prior NY-NJ takers do the trip from Albany/Buffalo to NJ? Recommendations for travel?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun May 11, 2014 8:33 pm

iiifly wrote:Good advice above. I'd like to thank the guy who reminded me of the orientation requirement. Just signed up.

Anyone know how long it takes to get a C&F response for a Feb Passer who submitted the paperwork as soon as the good news hit?
The fastest turnaround I heard for July was getting sworn in in February.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun May 25, 2014 9:54 pm

I wish this process was more explicit. Just did the exam software stuff. They send you an email that says youre probably fully registered if you get these four other emails that dont actually say that youre fully registered. But after that, you arent really until you take a mock exam. Then you are, maybe.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Mon May 26, 2014 7:58 pm

daagermy1 wrote:Tag. Great info!

Any prior NY-NJ takers do the trip from Albany/Buffalo to NJ? Recommendations for travel?
Good God, don't do Buffalo. Most people do Saratoga Springs or Albany, then drive to Secaucus or Somerset. If you get assigned to AC, then I dunno, maybe fly?

prs362

New

Post by prs362 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:24 am

northwood wrote:
So test site emails still have not gone out yet, correct? It's been over two weeks since the quoted poster was told it would be two weeks, so I just want to make sure I didn't miss it somehow.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Codicil

New

Post by Codicil » Tue May 27, 2014 10:27 am

prs362 wrote:So test site emails still have not gone out yet, correct?
Correct. I believe they went out on June 4th last year.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Tue May 27, 2014 4:50 pm

Codicil wrote:
prs362 wrote:So test site emails still have not gone out yet, correct?
Correct. I believe they went out on June 4th last year.
I imagine they dont go out until after the laptop deadline.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Tue May 27, 2014 4:51 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I wish this process was more explicit. Just did the exam software stuff. They send you an email that says youre probably fully registered if you get these four other emails that dont actually say that youre fully registered. But after that, you arent really until you take a mock exam. Then you are, maybe.
So I got my confirmation that my mock exam went through. Im good now, right?

peanut123

New

Post by peanut123 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:46 pm

Is there any confirmation that they received our handwriting sample and certificate from the school? I tried reviewing my submitted application just to see if maybe there was something on there but no updates.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Wed May 28, 2014 3:58 pm

peanut123 wrote:Is there any confirmation that they received our handwriting sample and certificate from the school? I tried reviewing my submitted application just to see if maybe there was something on there but no updates.
They don't confirm receipt. You can call and ask if they got it though.

Honikane

New

Post by Honikane » Thu May 29, 2014 3:51 pm

ran12 wrote:
peanut123 wrote:Is there any confirmation that they received our handwriting sample and certificate from the school? I tried reviewing my submitted application just to see if maybe there was something on there but no updates.
They don't confirm receipt. You can call and ask if they got it though.
You can confirm at http://www.examsoft.com/nybar

Log in with the same info that they gave you to register, go to the setting icon in the top left hand corner of the screen under you name and select "My Account". It will show on the right side that registration is complete. However, I think once you upload the mock exam and the other one you are fine.

bom325

New

Post by bom325 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:10 pm

I received this confirmation email today:
Subject: NYS Bar Exam Proofs Received and Approved
All required documentation has been reviewed and approved. You are now eligible to sit for the July 2014 bar examination. Approximately two weeks before the examination, you will be sent an email with a link where you will be able to view and print your seat ticket. A copy of your seat ticket is necessary to gain entrance into the examination room.

salvage

Bronze

Post by salvage » Fri May 30, 2014 10:17 am

bom325 wrote:I received this confirmation email today:
Subject: NYS Bar Exam Proofs Received and Approved
All required documentation has been reviewed and approved. You are now eligible to sit for the July 2014 bar examination. Approximately two weeks before the examination, you will be sent an email with a link where you will be able to view and print your seat ticket. A copy of your seat ticket is necessary to gain entrance into the examination room.
Did anyone else get this email?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”