NY Bar Exam Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:13 pm

Thanks, guys!

Does anyone know how I can get copies of old tax returns dating back to 2006?? I'm in my early 30s, so I need to do the 10 year history, and I can't remember my exact dates of employment and I can't remember the name of one of my employers from 2010. :oops:

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:27 pm

Crap. According to this site: https://www.irs.com/articles/how-to-get ... tax-return
It costs $50 to get a copy of ONE tax return and you can only go back 6 years. Now that sucks.

So can I just fill out the employment history to the best of my ability? If I get some dates wrong, will that cause problems for me? Thanks!

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:05 pm

It's unlikely to cause problems, and all you can really to is fill it out to the best of your knowledge.

It's probably worth calling your department though. I did this twice when I had similar questions about my application and neither time did they ask for my name or any personal information. I just called and say "I'm filling out my application and..." First department was very helpful.

synergy

New

Post by synergy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi all. I'm in the middle of gathering all of the legal affidavits and just had a random question. Does anybody know at what point in the process we have to pay the bar dues? Do we pay after the interview?

lawstudent35

New

Post by lawstudent35 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:05 pm

Set of Themis books from NY July 2016 exam for sale. Great condition.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:33 pm

synergy wrote:Hi all. I'm in the middle of gathering all of the legal affidavits and just had a random question. Does anybody know at what point in the process we have to pay the bar dues? Do we pay after the interview?
We pay a $375 registration fee before the interview. Don't know if that is in lieu of dues.

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:21 pm

Has anyone with a December interview date for Second Department (or any other date for that matter) gotten a specific time for their interview yet? I called last week and they confirmed that my interview and ceremony (if approved lol) on Dec 6th and 7th but the lady I spoke with said the individual office conducting the interview is supposed to send a specific time, not the App Div. but haven't received a time and I'm scheduled for next week. :roll:

raptors_delight

New

Post by raptors_delight » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:58 pm

ndp1234 wrote:Has anyone with a December interview date for Second Department (or any other date for that matter) gotten a specific time for their interview yet? I called last week and they confirmed that my interview and ceremony (if approved lol) on Dec 6th and 7th but the lady I spoke with said the individual office conducting the interview is supposed to send a specific time, not the App Div. but haven't received a time and I'm scheduled for next week. :roll:
I have an interview this week and received a specific time via email either early last week or at the end of the prior week. Haven't heard anything about swearing in, though, which doesn't bode well.

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:17 pm

I'm in the Third Department. I got an email this morning saying that my interview is the morning of January 19th! A bit odd to have the interview the same day as the swearing in ceremony! Does anyone know what kind of questions they ask at the interview? Do I need to bring anything with me? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:59 pm

raptors_delight wrote:
ndp1234 wrote:Has anyone with a December interview date for Second Department (or any other date for that matter) gotten a specific time for their interview yet? I called last week and they confirmed that my interview and ceremony (if approved lol) on Dec 6th and 7th but the lady I spoke with said the individual office conducting the interview is supposed to send a specific time, not the App Div. but haven't received a time and I'm scheduled for next week. :roll:
I have an interview this week and received a specific time via email either early last week or at the end of the prior week. Haven't heard anything about swearing in, though, which doesn't bode well.
Thanks Raptor - I'll call again tomorrow. I only know both dates because I'm doing the "out of town program" since I'm being sworn in the 2d Dept but currently in Albany. I'm sure they're probably trying to figure out when the next date is. I love the transparency in this process.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:45 pm

ChocolateTruffle wrote:I'm in the Third Department. I got an email this morning saying that my interview is the morning of January 19th! A bit odd to have the interview the same day as the swearing in ceremony! Does anyone know what kind of questions they ask at the interview? Do I need to bring anything with me? Thanks!
That's actually great news for you. They don't put people with red flags in those interview slots, so you're pretty much all set. The interview is easy, no need to bring anything.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:52 pm

Last edited by ArtistOfManliness on Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:07 pm

I have no idea what that is, wasn't a thing last year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:07 pm

How do you already know you have red flags? 1st dept definitely puts red flags on the physical apps but you don't know until you arrive for the mass interview. Your app will be set in a "problem pile" with other flagged apps. Then they awkwardly call you back and make you wait extra long with other red flaggers while people that arrive after you are breezing in and out, as only certain interviewers handle red flagged apps. It's really quite fun (I imagine...) to have classmates/friends lapping you with their interviews.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:32 pm

Oooh, that's why I was one of the last people called to the slowest interviewer...

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:07 am

Danger Zone wrote:
ChocolateTruffle wrote:I'm in the Third Department. I got an email this morning saying that my interview is the morning of January 19th! A bit odd to have the interview the same day as the swearing in ceremony! Does anyone know what kind of questions they ask at the interview? Do I need to bring anything with me? Thanks!
That's actually great news for you. They don't put people with red flags in those interview slots, so you're pretty much all set. The interview is easy, no need to bring anything.
I had red flags, and this isn't accurate. You're not interviewing with the same rent an interviewer, and may not be in the same room. If your interview is actually relevant to whether you're admitted then it's to nobody's benefit to set off alarm bells. For the process to work, they need enough information to assess the liability you impose on the public and the profession. My observation is they ask personal and pointed questions you would never be asked on the record, and it's to your benefit to be transparent about everything because the outcome is invariably discretionary. It's also possible that the dean, arresting officer, etc. was asked speculative questions, and it's unlikely that they care enough to open that can of worms unless it's to your benefit. Feel free to PM me. The dearth of information about the process makes it easy to lose a lot of sleep.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:02 am

I mean, that wasn't my experience, so it might also depend on your interviewer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:20 am

HA, are you suggesting that before your interview the C&F committee / interviewer may have contacted your arresting officer, dean, etc to discuss disclosures on your application? Perhaps a dean might be called if there seemed to be some serious law school infraction or discrepancy, but I HIGHLY doubt they would contact police departments etc before your personal interview. That is the kind of work that is saved for denials and appeals. There are WAY too many applicants and people with arrest records to be trying to track down someone from the X County Police Department to ask speculative questions about Jane Doe they arrested two years ago for being drunk in public, getting a dui, public urination, petty theft, etc etc.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:28 am

JenDarby wrote:HA, are you suggesting that before your interview the C&F committee / interviewer may have contacted your arresting officer, dean, etc to discuss disclosures on your application? Perhaps a dean might be called if there seemed to be some serious law school infraction or discrepancy, but I HIGHLY doubt they would contact police departments etc before your personal interview. That is the kind of work that is saved for denials and appeals. There are WAY too many applicants and people with arrest records to be trying to track down someone from the X County Police Department to ask speculative questions about Jane Doe they arrested two years ago for being drunk in public, getting a dui, public urination, petty theft, etc etc.
I agree with this, although I will say that the red flag that popped up on my application required me to get a letter from my dean exonerating me of any malfeasance (for lack of a better word). So, it is my thought that any early legwork required to clear up issues is on the applicant, not on the BOLE. As JD said, there's just way too many applicants for them to get that involved.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:37 am

1styearlateral wrote:
JenDarby wrote:HA, are you suggesting that before your interview the C&F committee / interviewer may have contacted your arresting officer, dean, etc to discuss disclosures on your application? Perhaps a dean might be called if there seemed to be some serious law school infraction or discrepancy, but I HIGHLY doubt they would contact police departments etc before your personal interview. That is the kind of work that is saved for denials and appeals. There are WAY too many applicants and people with arrest records to be trying to track down someone from the X County Police Department to ask speculative questions about Jane Doe they arrested two years ago for being drunk in public, getting a dui, public urination, petty theft, etc etc.
I agree with this, although I will say that the red flag that popped up on my application required me to get a letter from my dean exonerating me of any malfeasance (for lack of a better word). So, it is my thought that any early legwork required to clear up issues is on the applicant, not on the BOLE. As JD said, there's just way too many applicants for them to get that involved.
Yes, agreed. I was also requested to obtain additional information PRIOR to my interview. I am very confident that BOLE did not contact any such sources on their own, and I passed without issue. If I hadn't of passed, well then that would have been a different story moving forward I'm sure.

onward123

New

Post by onward123 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:17 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
Did the "red flag" pop up from something you failed to report or something your reported on the application?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blackfish

New

Post by Blackfish » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:31 pm

Last edited by Blackfish on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:36 pm

Blackfish wrote:anyone know what they ask former employers? i don't have any issues, but one of my former employers speaks like almost zero english lol.
They don't ask former employers anything. They will read your application and if everything checks out at a basic level and your interview goes fine, that's that. Think, logistically, how long and how much manpower this process would take if they were calling everyone's employers over the last 10 years/since they turned 21.

Blackfish

New

Post by Blackfish » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:41 pm

Last edited by Blackfish on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Blackfish wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
Blackfish wrote:anyone know what they ask former employers? i don't have any issues, but one of my former employers speaks like almost zero english lol.
They don't ask former employers anything. They will read your application and if everything checks out at a basic level and your interview goes fine, that's that. Think, logistically, how long and how much manpower this process would take if they were calling everyone's employers over the last 10 years/since they turned 21.
aren't there like 4 departments each with their own C&F staff? i'd guess manpower is no issue if a super popular state like CA can do it.
at least in the first department, if you didn't disclose anything then your interview lasts about 3 minutes. just from viewing that process alone (it was NOT organized) you could feel confident they didn't call employers
Last edited by JenDarby on Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”