NY Bar Exam Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
legends159

Silver

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Post by legends159 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:10 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are you all waiting until your classes are finished to send in your handwriting sample and transcript/dean's certification form? The Handbook says to do that, but for some schools, exams end pretty close to the June 15 deadline.
I've wondered about this as well. We graduate 5/20, and presumably get our grades just before then, but I wouldn't imagine we get final grades, etc., until very close to that time. Does everything just have to be actually received or postmarked by that date?
Rule 6000.2(c) says: "For purposes of this subsection, a handwriting specimen is considered filed when it is received in the Board’s office by the following deadline [June 15]"
http://www.nybarexam.org/Rules/Rules.htm#520.3

BTW the rules were recently amended on April 1, 2012, so might be worthwhile to take a look. The old rules required you to be in class at least 4 days a week and take at least 10 credits per term. And classes could only be from 8am - 6pm. The new rules took out this language.
Last edited by legends159 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:18 pm

legends159 wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are you all waiting until your classes are finished to send in your handwriting sample and transcript/dean's certification form? The Handbook says to do that, but for some schools, exams end pretty close to the June 15 deadline.
I've wondered about this as well. We graduate 5/20, and presumably get our grades just before then, but I wouldn't imagine we get final grades, etc., until very close to that time. Does everything just have to be actually received or postmarked by that date?
Rule 6000.2(c) says: "For purposes of this subsection, a handwriting specimen is considered filed when it is received in the Board’s office by the following deadline [June 15]"
http://www.nybarexam.org/Rules/Rules.htm#520.3

tyty

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:46 pm

Odd question but I heard that it's difficult to go to the bathroom during the exam (not just during breaks) at the Javits Center because the lines are so long. Does anyone know if this is true?

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Odd question but I heard that it's difficult to go to the bathroom during the exam (not just during breaks) at the Javits Center because the lines are so long. Does anyone know if this is true?
Lines are long during breaks (I think most people managed to use the restroom in time if they needed to though), there was no line during the exam.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 04, 2012 8:15 pm

legends159 wrote: You get an email after registration closes and in that email you are linked to a page where you choose the testing center.
When is this email sent? Has it already been sent? :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sat May 05, 2012 9:35 am

Georgiana wrote:
Sup Kid wrote: How long after registering do they send out the link? Is it after registration closes (after 4/30) to everyone at once, or are you better off registering early to get the link earlier?
I got my test center confirmation June 8th and I think that was a day or two after the link came out. They use the same link each year so you just need to constantly check it once you think its "time" (that's how you "get it early"). A friend sent it to me via gchat so I don't have it anymore, but I'm sure you can find it somewhere. The site generally crashes as soon as the link is emailed which is why getting it before the email is imperative if you want Manhattan and don't live there.

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Tue May 08, 2012 9:41 am

Very useful info in here.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue May 08, 2012 10:20 am

Anyone sent the writing sample/transcript/proof stuff? Any transfers on here who had to get transcripts from their 1L transferor schools? How exactly is this all done (please excuse my cursory reading of the rules...there's just no clear answer/procedure written anywhere): do you have to wait until you know you're going to graduate before having your school (which I think is who has to send it all) send stuff, trasnferor school transcripts, etc.?

For instance: you transferred after 1L, you're finished with exams, but don't graduate until May 20 and only have 2 of 5 grades back. Presumably, you'll graduate, but if you wait until like 5/16ish when you probably have all grades back, etc., then you have less than a month to get everything to the NY BOLE (as they have to have received all your shit by 6/15). And, judging by the dispatch with which registrar offices work, I would be shitting my pants for weeks.

JFC I hate application processes. I know I should probably go to school and ask, but I figured I'd float these questions here first.

TYVFMIA.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Tue May 08, 2012 1:55 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:Anyone sent the writing sample/transcript/proof stuff? Any transfers on here who had to get transcripts from their 1L transferor schools? How exactly is this all done (please excuse my cursory reading of the rules...there's just no clear answer/procedure written anywhere): do you have to wait until you know you're going to graduate before having your school (which I think is who has to send it all) send stuff, trasnferor school transcripts, etc.?

For instance: you transferred after 1L, you're finished with exams, but don't graduate until May 20 and only have 2 of 5 grades back. Presumably, you'll graduate, but if you wait until like 5/16ish when you probably have all grades back, etc., then you have less than a month to get everything to the NY BOLE (as they have to have received all your shit by 6/15). And, judging by the dispatch with which registrar offices work, I would be shitting my pants for weeks.

JFC I hate application processes. I know I should probably go to school and ask, but I figured I'd float these questions here first.

TYVFMIA.
Don't wait for grades, just go to the registrar and fill out all the paperwork there, make them tell you you have everything you need (they might even send it for you).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

virginny

New

Post by virginny » Thu May 17, 2012 9:00 pm

Georgiana wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
Sup Kid wrote: How long after registering do they send out the link? Is it after registration closes (after 4/30) to everyone at once, or are you better off registering early to get the link earlier?
I got my test center confirmation June 8th and I think that was a day or two after the link came out. They use the same link each year so you just need to constantly check it once you think its "time" (that's how you "get it early"). A friend sent it to me via gchat so I don't have it anymore, but I'm sure you can find it somewhere. The site generally crashes as soon as the link is emailed which is why getting it before the email is imperative if you want Manhattan and don't live there.
Does anyone know if this email has been sent or what the link is?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 21, 2012 2:48 pm

Anyone have the link for test-location selection? I was told it goes live before the email is sent? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 22, 2012 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have the link for test-location selection? I was told it goes live before the email is sent? Thanks!
Silence. That doesn't surprise me.

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have the link for test-location selection? I was told it goes live before the email is sent? Thanks!
People who have taken the bar, and thus have the link, probably don't open this topic about the bar because they probably don't ever want to think about it again.

But if any of you do, link please?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Raz14

New

Post by Raz14 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:09 pm

seatown12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
People who have taken the bar, and thus have the link, probably don't open this topic about the bar because they probably don't ever want to think about it again.

But if any of you do, link please?
Seconded!

rlthrill

New

Post by rlthrill » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Has BOLE already sent the location selection email?

Raz14

New

Post by Raz14 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:41 pm

Nope.

Rams55

New

Post by Rams55 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:24 pm

So I just got the email from barbri stating emails will be sent tomorrow. If someone had the link now, it would be pretty helpful...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Raz14

New

Post by Raz14 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:34 pm

I got the link at 11:18 AM. NYC location was gone by 11:20 AM.

3L Student

New

Post by 3L Student » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:43 pm

So if I am in Albany, when do I find out which of the three locations I'll be at? It mentioned that it will be on the ticket, handed out two weeks before the test. But isn't there a way to find out before so that I can book a hotel?

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:44 pm

edit: scooped

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:12 pm

Reviving an old thread.

At what point am I supposed to create a BOLE account? http://www.nybarexam.org says i should make one"before completing the online application," but i'm not sure where / how to do this? Is creating a BOLE account just part of the registration process, which opens tomorrow?

also: is there any special info / stuff I need handy to complete the initial online registration process?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:43 pm

tfer2222 wrote:Reviving an old thread.

At what point am I supposed to create a BOLE account? http://www.nybarexam.org says i should make one"before completing the online application," but i'm not sure where / how to do this? Is creating a BOLE account just part of the registration process, which opens tomorrow?
https://www.nybarapply.org/NewAccount.aspx

finding this took me under a minute and literally three clicks of the mouse, come on guy this is the easiest part

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:41 pm

seatown12 wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:Reviving an old thread.

https://www.nybarapply.org/NewAccount.aspx

finding this took me under a minute and literally three clicks of the mouse, come on guy this is the easiest part
yes thanks. i officially feel stupid. not a good start. :oops:

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:02 pm

tagged

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Does anyone know the location link?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.