NY Bar Exam Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ds2826e

New

Re: NY Bar Exam Application

Post by ds2826e » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:14 am

MrT wrote:
ds2826e wrote:
MrT wrote:
ds2826e wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:Sent it in earlier this week, well I imagine for you they won't start on c&f until they get your certification letter b/c I think that's when your app. is considered complete...but I could be wrong. Hopefully it's a fast process!
I see, good luck! I remembered having seen some instructions which say they encourage us to submit the papers early. Hope it will be a fast process too. I am looking to getting sworn in in mid-August.
If you're looking for August 2017, it's pretty unlikely. I completed my app over a month ago and was given a September date. I am going to guess they are on October now.
Thanks for the information. Are you in the Third Department?
Yes.
Thanks.

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:42 pm

I passed the NYLE today and thought this was the last piece that I needed before I was certified to the Third Department to submit my character & fitness paperwork. I called BOLE to determine when my certification letter would be emailed to me and apparently my law school hasn't yet returned the Certificate of Attendance form that I emailed to the Registrar on May 15. I had to take a lot of deep breaths calling and emailing my school. It's so annoying when you've done everything in your power and are stuck waiting on stuff outside your control.

ds2826e

New

Post by ds2826e » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:44 pm

Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:I passed the NYLE today and thought this was the last piece that I needed before I was certified to the Third Department to submit my character & fitness paperwork. I called BOLE to determine when my certification letter would be emailed to me and apparently my law school hasn't yet returned the Certificate of Attendance form that I emailed to the Registrar on May 15. I had to take a lot of deep breaths calling and emailing my school. It's so annoying when you've done everything in your power and are stuck waiting on stuff outside your control.
Omg, what's the Certificate of Attendance? I haven't heard about that. Is that the same as the Law School Certificate? The only thing I have asked my law school to do was the Law School Certificate - But I have asked my law school to submit that to the 3rd Dept, rather than BOLE. Mind letting me know what that is? Thanks.

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:10 pm

ds2826e wrote:
Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:I passed the NYLE today and thought this was the last piece that I needed before I was certified to the Third Department to submit my character & fitness paperwork. I called BOLE to determine when my certification letter would be emailed to me and apparently my law school hasn't yet returned the Certificate of Attendance form that I emailed to the Registrar on May 15. I had to take a lot of deep breaths calling and emailing my school. It's so annoying when you've done everything in your power and are stuck waiting on stuff outside your control.
Omg, what's the Certificate of Attendance? I haven't heard about that. Is that the same as the Law School Certificate? The only thing I have asked my law school to do was the Law School Certificate - But I have asked my law school to submit that to the 3rd Dept, rather than BOLE. Mind letting me know what that is? Thanks.
Oh, sorry, you're fine. I am doing the UBE transfer process, which must have different initial paperwork. Basically I have to transfer my UBE score, MPRE score, complete the NYLC, pass the NYLE, and have my law school submit a Certificate of Attendance to BOLE. BOLE won't email me my certification letter to the Third Department until after they have all of the above. So that's why I can't send in my paperwork to the Third Department yet. I guess applicants who are taking/took the UBE in NY are allowed to send in character & fitness paperwork ahead of time. I guess the different process is why I was told to wait until after I get my certification letter to submit stuff to the Third Department. Sorry for the scare! (And the Law School Certificate is part of the character and fitness paperwork and definitely gets submitted from the law school directly to the Third Department so you're good).

ds2826e

New

Post by ds2826e » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:18 pm

Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
ds2826e wrote:
Oh, sorry, you're fine. I am doing the UBE transfer process, which must have different initial paperwork. Basically I have to transfer my UBE score, MPRE score, complete the NYLC, pass the NYLE, and have my law school submit a Certificate of Attendance to BOLE. BOLE won't email me my certification letter to the Third Department until after they have all of the above. So that's why I can't send in my paperwork to the Third Department yet. I guess applicants who are taking/took the UBE in NY are allowed to send in character & fitness paperwork ahead of time. I guess the different process is why I was told to wait until after I get my certification letter to submit stuff to the Third Department. Sorry for the scare! (And the Law School Certificate is part of the character and fitness paperwork and definitely gets submitted from the law school directly to the Third Department so you're good).
Haha, no worries. Thanks for the explanations too. Hope you can get that sorted out soon!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tacocohcevoli

New

Post by tacocohcevoli » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:08 pm

Sorry for the n00b question, but I'm taking the July bar and want to try and get admitted by the end of the year (assuming I pass, obviously); is that a rational goal to have? If I get all my employment verification/recommendation forms sent out starting today and get them back before August, could I in theory get sworn in by December, assuming everything's in order?

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:20 pm

tacocohcevoli wrote:Sorry for the n00b question, but I'm taking the July bar and want to try and get admitted by the end of the year (assuming I pass, obviously); is that a rational goal to have? If I get all my employment verification/recommendation forms sent out starting today and get them back before August, could I in theory get sworn in by December, assuming everything's in order?
If I remember correctly, the earliest you can get sworn in is January. But, if you have a specific need (not just because you want to be a lawyer sooner) and your materials are all in on time, they MAY be willing to move it up a month.

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:02 am

Last edited by Lawyerinwaiting89 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:15 pm

tacocohcevoli wrote:Sorry for the n00b question, but I'm taking the July bar and want to try and get admitted by the end of the year (assuming I pass, obviously); is that a rational goal to have? If I get all my employment verification/recommendation forms sent out starting today and get them back before August, could I in theory get sworn in by December, assuming everything's in order?

I sent in all my completed C&F paperwork to the Second Department about a week before the results came out in October and then just supplemented my application. I got sworn in December 7. It can happen.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:20 pm

Has anyone sent in their completed app to the Third Department in the past couple of weeks and received a September or October date? I sent everything as of today and am curious if October is the most likely at this point. Have a great weekend, everyone!

ds2826e

New

Post by ds2826e » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:28 pm

My application was complete in late June. I'm now waiting for their reply. Hopefully I can get a date in Sept or Oct. i will let you know after I got that scheduling email. :D

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:34 pm

ds2826e wrote:My application was complete in late June. I'm now waiting for their reply. Hopefully I can get a date in Sept or Oct. i will let you know after I got that scheduling email. :D
Awesome, good luck! I'll hope for September for you!

ds2826e

New

Post by ds2826e » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:00 pm

Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
ds2826e wrote:My application was complete in late June. I'm now waiting for their reply. Hopefully I can get a date in Sept or Oct. i will let you know after I got that scheduling email. :D
Awesome, good luck! I'll hope for September for you!
You too! Hope we will both get an interview date in September!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MRNG

New

Post by MRNG » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:57 pm

Hello all,

I am registered to take the July bar in less than two weeks (scary). Because of an emergency, I missed the deadline to register for the August MPRE. Despite my supplications, LSAC would not allow me to take the MPRE in August and I am now registered to take it in November. The results of the MPRE should come out the first week of December. Assuming I pass the bar exam (and the MPRE) and I send all the required paperwork the same day the bar results are published, how long before I can get admitted? Anyone out there who had the same misfortune of taking the MPRE after the bar knows? I would appreciate any insight.

Thank you

yanchunfu

New

Post by yanchunfu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:52 am

MRNG wrote:Hello all,

I am registered to take the July bar in less than two weeks (scary). Because of an emergency, I missed the deadline to register for the August MPRE. Despite my supplications, LSAC would not allow me to take the MPRE in August and I am now registered to take it in November. The results of the MPRE should come out the first week of December. Assuming I pass the bar exam (and the MPRE) and I send all the required paperwork the same day the bar results are published, how long before I can get admitted? Anyone out there who had the same misfortune of taking the MPRE after the bar knows? I would appreciate any insight.

Thank you
October 2016 - received both results of UBE and NYLE, both passed
March 2017 - took MPRE (don't ask me why)
April 12, 2017 - received result of MPRE and passed
April 14, 2017 - certified to apply for admission
April 18, 2017 - all application materials were received
April 26, 2017 - notified to attend interview and ceremony on August 16, 2017

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:50 pm

yanchunfu wrote:

Thank you
Ignore my question in the other thread I see your timeline here- so you were complete by april and notified to attend in august..weird!! Why such a gap? Are you in the 3rd dept. by any chance? I know of some people who took the Feb. 2017 exam, got their results end of April, submitted their app in May and were sworn in at the end of June..do you have any insight as to why you have to wait a few months?? If that's the timeline now- at this rate I won't be sworn in til like October :shock:

MRNG

New

Post by MRNG » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:58 am

yanchunfu wrote:

Thank you
Wow! That's a quick turn around for everything except the interview and ceremony. Thank you for your insight.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:57 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
yanchunfu wrote:

Thank you
Ignore my question in the other thread I see your timeline here- so you were complete by april and notified to attend in august..weird!! Why such a gap? Are you in the 3rd dept. by any chance? I know of some people who took the Feb. 2017 exam, got their results end of April, submitted their app in May and were sworn in at the end of June..do you have any insight as to why you have to wait a few months?? If that's the timeline now- at this rate I won't be sworn in til like October :shock:

My materials were reviewed/complete in mid March and my swearing in interview/ceremony were scheduled for the end of June (3rd department). They didn't explain why there was such a long gap, but hopefully this adds clarity to your situation.

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:57 pm

For anyone who is currently waiting on the Third Department: I called this afternoon and the people who answer the phones are very nice. The woman I spoke with said that right now they're about 4 or 5 weeks out in reviewing applications. I took that to mean that from the time you're complete, it's currently taking them 4-5 weeks to review and schedule. They are currently scheduling for October and once that's full, they'll be scheduling for November. So for anyone who was complete as of relatively recently but not scheduled yet, you'll likely be scheduled in October or November. August and September are completely full.

StructuresAndForces

New

Post by StructuresAndForces » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:14 am

Just starting to compile affidavits now and WOW, this is so annoying.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:27 am

Slytherpuff wrote:Just starting to compile affidavits now and WOW, this is so annoying.
I am scared to begin.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:22 am

Sprout wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:Just starting to compile affidavits now and WOW, this is so annoying.
I am scared to begin.
Do you know if we are allowed to simply email the affidavits to the recipients? Or is it better practice to fill it out and mail it to them?

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:05 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
Sprout wrote:
I am scared to begin.
Do you know if we are allowed to simply email the affidavits to the recipients? Or is it better practice to fill it out and mail it to them?
I dk when this is all even due; I thought we didn't need to start this 'till post bar results? I'm often wrong.

MrWhitman

New

Post by MrWhitman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Sprout wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:
Sprout wrote:
I am scared to begin.
I dk when this is all even due; I thought we didn't need to start this 'till post bar results? I'm often wrong.
I'm going to start after results come in. No real reason to rush this IMO.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”