denied for bar study loan. what to do

JohannDeMann

Re: denied for bar study loan. what to do

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:00 am

BeautifulSW wrote:Take a look at http://www.baroutlines.com

Might help. And if you pass, that will be three grand you DIDN'T borrow.

Used this and passed first time. All you need is practice MBE questions really.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:51 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
hiima3L wrote:I would strongly suggest not paying for a bar prep class. I found Barbri to be totally useless. The materials, which you can buy for a few hundred (and I think return for a full refund, no questions asked), were all I needed to pass.

Can you actually buy the materials separate from the course? I don't think you can - that's why you pay a huge deposit, to encourage people to return them to Barbri rather than sell them. (I mean, you can buy them used, of course, but I'm not sure where the full refund/no questions asked part comes in - I'd be surprised if random bar-takers selling their materials would offer a refund.)

I agree that you don't need the course to pass, though. (I needed to sit through the lectures so it was fine, but it's not necessary.)

I thought you could. Maybe I'm mistaken.

But even then, there are a ton out there. Barbri buys them back in any condition, no questions asked because they don't want their precious, scholarly IP floating around on Amazon.

Anyway, if you're taking CA, all you need is the CMR. And someone else's outlines. I have a ton of outlines for the CA bar if anyone needs them.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:54 am

Hey guys thanks for the tips! I just wanted to say again that I work for a bar course so I get that free, its mostly just a loan for cost of living until that first paycheck comes through (and paying for bar registration etc.) It seems like my best bet would be to probably get a new cc with a 0% introductory APR, I just don't know how feasible that is considering that I currently have no income.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:02 am

FlanAl wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
hiima3L wrote:I would strongly suggest not paying for a bar prep class. I found Barbri to be totally useless. The materials, which you can buy for a few hundred (and I think return for a full refund, no questions asked), were all I needed to pass.

You don't need the books or the course, what you need (at least for NY) is the notes from the classes which should be fairly easy to get. Just make sure they're actually filled in.

Not worried so much about the bar prep course (i'm a rep for one of the companies) but more worried about eating/paying a deposit on a new apartment, moving etc. during the downtime between graduation and first paycheck. Job starts early september, I'd really only need a couple of grand. I've got a free place to stay for summer but gotta eat and have money to re-locate to the job.

Sounds like a credit card is in your future. If you're in a big city, you'll probably be able to use a CC for a deposit, though there will probably be some ludicrously disproportionate "service fee."

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:13 am

FlanAl wrote:Hey guys thanks for the tips! I just wanted to say again that I work for a bar course so I get that free, its mostly just a loan for cost of living until that first paycheck comes through (and paying for bar registration etc.) It seems like my best bet would be to probably get a new cc with a 0% introductory APR, I just don't know how feasible that is considering that I currently have no income.

I just checked my credit score etc. and qualified for a card like that. The only CC I've used has a $1200 max and I have no other financial obligations other than loans.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:41 am

Do you have income? Could I just put what my salary will be? I have an offer, a start date and a salary figure but am currently earning nothing.
Thanks again.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:37 am

FlanAl wrote:Do you have income? Could I just put what my salary will be? I have an offer, a start date and a salary figure but am currently earning nothing.
Thanks again.

Yeah I've been employed since graduating in May 2012. I am approved according to a credit check company, but I'm not planning on taking up the offer.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Ok, after some digging, it looks like I can put my COL student loan and my grant from last summer down as income. I'll report back and see if this works.

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:33 pm

FlanAl wrote:Ok, after some digging, it looks like I can put my COL student loan and my grant from last summer down as income. I'll report back and see if this works.

Did you get approved for the loan or cc?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:22 am

I ended up getting approved for a bar loan on like the third company I tried. I got denied initially but then had my parents co-sign and was approved. The process took forever I'd recommend getting started with it early like a few months before graduation. If you have any specific questions feel free to pm.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”