denied for bar study loan. what to do

Tsispilos

denied for bar study loan. what to do

Postby Tsispilos » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:19 pm

Has anyone else run into this problem? I don't have quite enough money in the bank to pay for a bar review program and pay the rent for the next two months. And my job doesn't will pay for bar prep. What does one do in this situation? How hard is it to pass the bar with self-study alone?

edit: don't know why I didn't qualify. I have a credit score of about 720; never had a late payment. I do, however, have the standard $210k student loan, but wouldn't most law students?

Tsispilos

Re: denied for bar study loan. what to do

Postby Tsispilos » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:37 pm

bump

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:40 pm

uh, credit card? or borrow from friends/family?

Tsispilos

Postby Tsispilos » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:45 pm

family is poor; friends are all students. credit card has $1000 limit. i was seriously not anticipating the bar review cost to render 3 years of education useless.

Sam Seaborn

Postby Sam Seaborn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:49 pm

No loan? No matter what strings are attached? I find that doubtful. Do more research on getting short term loans, and what kind of interest rates are involved. It really, really isn't that hard to scrape up a few grand, even ITE.

Nogameisfair

Postby Nogameisfair » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:49 pm

Tsispilos wrote:family is poor; friends are all students. credit card has $1000 limit. i was seriously not anticipating the bar review cost to render 3 years of education useless.

I would discuss your problem with your school. They may have funding of some sort. I know my school has some scholarships for bar prep for PI people. Also, contact Barbri, they have financial aid programs.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:50 pm

Sam Seaborn wrote:No loan? No matter what strings are attached? I find that doubtful. Do more research on getting short term loans, and what kind of interest rates are involved. It really, really isn't that hard to scrape up a few grand, even ITE.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:51 pm

Can you take a bank loan? I am not sure what the typical amount for a bar loan is but I know banks do small, several k loans pretty easily.

There's always the bank even though that's not your best option
Last edited by DeeCee on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Seaborn

Postby Sam Seaborn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:51 pm

fatduck wrote:
Sam Seaborn wrote:No loan? No matter what strings are attached? I find that doubtful. Do more research on getting short term loans, and what kind of interest rates are involved. It really, really isn't that hard to scrape up a few grand, even ITE.

177. I was literally envisioning Montel when i wrote that.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:56 pm

Can you self study with some second hand BAR/BRI manuals purchased from ebay ?

Sam Seaborn

Postby Sam Seaborn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:02 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Can you self study with some second hand BAR/BRI manuals purchased from ebay ?

Can you justify 3 years of tuition at a law school, only to fail the bar because you were too inept to figure out how to go to a bank and get a loan? $3000 is not worth risking the bar over.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:04 pm

Just self study if you can get some BAR/BRI manuals. Bar exams are not difficult, but many experience unnecessary anxiety.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Sam Seaborn wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Can you self study with some second hand BAR/BRI manuals purchased from ebay ?

Can you justify 3 years of tuition at a law school, only to fail the bar because you were too inept to figure out how to go to a bank and get a loan? $3000 is not worth risking the bar over.

This. Get the loan, borrow from people if you have to. Do whatever you need to.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:07 pm

Please don't panic. Bar review courses are a luxury--all you need are the manuals.

lsat_fear

Postby lsat_fear » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:10 pm

Moxie wrote:Do whatever you need to.

Prostitution is always an option. . .

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:11 pm

Isn't that after passing & joining the bar ?

joobacca

Postby joobacca » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:11 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Please don't panic. Bar review courses are a luxury--all you need are the manuals.

could you elaborate on this more? is it like testmasters v. bibles, where the content is pretty much the same but tm kind of puts you on a schedule and forces you to attend and do the problems (since you're paying)?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:14 pm

In my experience, the bar exams that I took were easier & more fun than law school & the LSAT. To pass most bar exams, one needs to be able to get about a 150 on the LSAT.

P.S. I cannot comment on specific bar review courses because I took my first bar exam cold & passed.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:23 pm

if you really cannot get a loan from your school (aka federal government) you could also get loans from

prosper.com
lendingclub.com

you will probably have to pay ~18% interest, but if you really need it then it is an option.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 pm

Tsispilos wrote:Has anyone else run into this problem? I don't have quite enough money in the bank to pay for a bar review program and pay the rent for the next two months. And my job doesn't will pay for bar prep. What does one do in this situation? How hard is it to pass the bar with self-study alone?

edit: don't know why I didn't qualify. I have a credit score of about 720; never had a late payment. I do, however, have the standard $210k student loan, but wouldn't most law students?

If you really have a 720 credit score on an 850 scale then you can apply for another credit card. It's relatively easy to get way more than 3k with a score in that range. Go to one of the many sites that review and recommend cards that tend to come with credit in a range greater than what you need.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:56 am

Take a look at http://www.baroutlines.com

Might help. And if you pass, that will be three grand you DIDN'T borrow.

king3780

Postby king3780 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:08 am

Tsispilos wrote:I do, however, have the standard $210k student loan, but wouldn't most law students?

I wish I had a solution to your problem, other than what others are suggesting. I do think it's crazy that no one here is fazed by $210k in student loans being referenced as "standard." It really is a travesty what has happened with tuition at law schools across the country.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:09 pm

king3780 wrote:
Tsispilos wrote:I do, however, have the standard $210k student loan, but wouldn't most law students?

I wish I had a solution to your problem, other than what others are suggesting. I do think it's crazy that no one here is fazed by $210k in student loans being referenced as "standard." It really is a travesty what has happened with tuition at law schools across the country.

IBR and LRAP make loan balances much less important.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:58 pm

quakeroats wrote:
king3780 wrote:

IBR and LRAP make loan balances much less important.

as long as you don't mind living like a student for 10 years.

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:18 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Just self study if you can get some BAR/BRI manuals. Bar exams are not difficult, but many experience unnecessary anxiety.

Agreed. Everyone I know who self-studied from my school last year passed (including myself). It's more a matter of following the same schedule as people taking the classes. I put in roughly the same amount of time as my BarBri friends, with the exception of going to Bonnaroo and taking a few other mini-vacations. You can do just fine so long as you have some older materials and do things like print out free flashcards, take one of the free bar-prep video courses (Kaplan gave us one last year which was nice of them), and check with people to see if anything has changed from previous years. G'luck.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”