University of Oklahoma 2010!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
snake-eater
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby snake-eater » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:20 pm

tkolax wrote:well, i got rejected from texas, so i'll be going to OU law in the fall. Boomer Sooner


Lol, cheer up buddy. Being a Sooner isn't so bad.

isaiah6v8
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby isaiah6v8 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:26 am

who is running that facebook group that was mentioned earlier in the thread? I requested to be added weeks ago.

Brac1681
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:36 am

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby Brac1681 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:21 pm

I have also requested membership to the facebook page. I'm looking forward so much to getting to know everyone!

User avatar
donzoli
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby donzoli » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:32 pm

Has anyone heard anything lately? When did the last round of acceptances go out?

cuzco2000
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:16 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby cuzco2000 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:09 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:who is running that facebook group that was mentioned earlier in the thread? I requested to be added weeks ago.


I haven't received anything, maybe request again, I had switched from public to private so everyone can discuss living arrangements and class schedules without prying eyes, so perhaps it got lost in the mix.

Ecce
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby Ecce » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:28 pm

WL via snail mail today. :?

OU wasn't one of my preferred schools, but it took me a little off guard. I thought I was in for sure.

dvt0004
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:37 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby dvt0004 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:59 am

Accepted via phone call on 3/5. My first acceptance of the cycle (I applied late). Maybe I will see some of you come fall.

hunkydory
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:47 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby hunkydory » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:28 pm

dvt0004 wrote:Accepted via phone call on 3/5. My first acceptance of the cycle (I applied late). Maybe I will see some of you come fall.


Congrats! me too! I didn't get a chance to talk to admissions though since I didn't get the message until after 5. I'm assuming they'll send an admit packet soon. The woman in the admissions office mentioned nothing about scholarships. That worries me. Can anyone tell me how you found out about any scholarship offers?

isaiah6v8
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby isaiah6v8 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:02 pm

hunkydory wrote:
dvt0004 wrote:Accepted via phone call on 3/5. My first acceptance of the cycle (I applied late). Maybe I will see some of you come fall.


Congrats! me too! I didn't get a chance to talk to admissions though since I didn't get the message until after 5. I'm assuming they'll send an admit packet soon. The woman in the admissions office mentioned nothing about scholarships. That worries me. Can anyone tell me how you found out about any scholarship offers?


Susan informed me of my scholarship a few weeks later when I went for a visit, and then it came in the mail about a week after that.

dvt0004
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:37 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby dvt0004 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:02 am

hunkydory wrote:
dvt0004 wrote:Accepted via phone call on 3/5. My first acceptance of the cycle (I applied late). Maybe I will see some of you come fall.


Congrats! me too! I didn't get a chance to talk to admissions though since I didn't get the message until after 5. I'm assuming they'll send an admit packet soon. The woman in the admissions office mentioned nothing about scholarships. That worries me. Can anyone tell me how you found out about any scholarship offers?


Congrats to you too. She said that I should receive the admit packet by the middle of this week, so it should be the same for you.

hunkydory
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:47 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby hunkydory » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks to you both for the answers. I'll be eagerly checking the mail now.

hunkydory
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:47 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby hunkydory » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:38 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:how do you feel about your employment prospects?

+1 I'd like to know the answer to this as well.


In the state of Oklahoma, I feel very positive. Am I going to land a biglaw job in New York? Probably not. Has something like that happened here in the past? Yes. If you have any specific questions about employment, feel free to ask and I'll be as candid as I can answering them.


Hi Patrick, thanks for your offer to help. I'm curious to know where the few OU graduates working in public interest law go. Is it mostly government jobs? Have you heard of anyone getting a job at a non-profit either in or out of state? I'll definitely ask admissions this when I visit the campus, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask you.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:51 am

hunkydory wrote:Hi Patrick, thanks for your offer to help. I'm curious to know where the few OU graduates working in public interest law go. Is it mostly government jobs? Have you heard of anyone getting a job at a non-profit either in or out of state? I'll definitely ask admissions this when I visit the campus, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask you.


Though there aren't many per class who go into true "public interest" work, there are several options available. Legal Aid, public defenders offices, Native American advocacy and a host of child advocacy groups are the most popular, I believe. Definitely ask about this when you visit though, as I'm not sure exactly on the numbers, starting salaries, locations, etc.

It seems like a rather large group of us, at least my class, are going to take government jobs as well, which I consider separate from PI. Many people land ADA, AUS-A and JAG positions coming from OU. The low cost of tuition and low cost of living make these jobs attractive options.

isaiah6v8
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby isaiah6v8 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:02 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
hunkydory wrote:Hi Patrick, thanks for your offer to help. I'm curious to know where the few OU graduates working in public interest law go. Is it mostly government jobs? Have you heard of anyone getting a job at a non-profit either in or out of state? I'll definitely ask admissions this when I visit the campus, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask you.


Though there aren't many per class who go into true "public interest" work, there are several options available. Legal Aid, public defenders offices, Native American advocacy and a host of child advocacy groups are the most popular, I believe. Definitely ask about this when you visit though, as I'm not sure exactly on the numbers, starting salaries, locations, etc.

It seems like a rather large group of us, at least my class, are going to take government jobs as well, which I consider separate from PI. Many people land ADA, AUS-A and JAG positions coming from OU. The low cost of tuition and low cost of living make these jobs attractive options.

what would say the numbers are in your class taking Govt. jobs? Just wondering. Thx.

cle07007
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:58 am

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby cle07007 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:12 am

First post on this thread:

So far I have been offered out-of-state tuition waiver as a scholarship (about 30,000 over 3 years). Anyone else in the same boat? Am I eligible to be considered for other offers besides that?

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:59 am

cle07007 wrote:First post on this thread:

So far I have been offered out-of-state tuition waiver as a scholarship (about 30,000 over 3 years). Anyone else in the same boat? Am I eligible to be considered for other offers besides that?

First, welcome. Second, congrats. Third, yes, there are those of us in the same boat. Fourth, yes, you are eligible to be considered for other offers. The kicker is that you have to negotiate from here on out.
isaiah6v8 wrote: what would say the numbers are in your class taking Govt. jobs? Just wondering. Thx.

Not sure about the numbers for my class. Probably close to 15-20% in the class of 2010, though this is just a guess based on those with whom I have talked.

cle07007
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:58 am

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby cle07007 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:33 pm

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. Best methods of negotiating.... over the phone or email? I have been accepted to BYU, which tuition is 1/2 of Oklahoma's. My stats are 161 3.99. I thought I might try tell them that I am absolutely interested in going to OU over BYU, but that the tuition price is an issue. We plan on living in Oklahoma for years to come, as my wife's family is from Norman. Any thoughts?

hunkydory
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:47 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby hunkydory » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:18 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
hunkydory wrote:Hi Patrick, thanks for your offer to help. I'm curious to know where the few OU graduates working in public interest law go. Is it mostly government jobs? Have you heard of anyone getting a job at a non-profit either in or out of state? I'll definitely ask admissions this when I visit the campus, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask you.


Though there aren't many per class who go into true "public interest" work, there are several options available. Legal Aid, public defenders offices, Native American advocacy and a host of child advocacy groups are the most popular, I believe. Definitely ask about this when you visit though, as I'm not sure exactly on the numbers, starting salaries, locations, etc.

It seems like a rather large group of us, at least my class, are going to take government jobs as well, which I consider separate from PI. Many people land ADA, AUS-A and JAG positions coming from OU. The low cost of tuition and low cost of living make these jobs attractive options.


Thank you. I will!

Also I received my admit packet on this week. Anyone else get a hand-written note from the Dean of Admissions? It was mostly stock sentences about how great OU is, but still very appreciated!

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:13 pm

cle07007 wrote:Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. Best methods of negotiating.... over the phone or email? I have been accepted to BYU, which tuition is 1/2 of Oklahoma's. My stats are 161 3.99. I thought I might try tell them that I am absolutely interested in going to OU over BYU, but that the tuition price is an issue. We plan on living in Oklahoma for years to come, as my wife's family is from Norman. Any thoughts?

You named the worst methods to use when negotiating. Go in person (if that's at all possible). FWIW, it sounds like you have a compelling argument for mo' $$, but it's a bit late in the game for negotiating.

GL!

cle07007
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:58 am

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby cle07007 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:07 am

Obviously person is the best, no doubt about it. There is just no way to get from Rexburg, ID to Norman anytime soon :) I was reading on their website and it says that incoming freshmen fill out a questionnaire once fall semester has started to determine eligibility for further scholarships? Is that correct?

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:03 am

cle07007 wrote:Obviously person is the best, no doubt about it. There is just no way to get from Rexburg, ID to Norman anytime soon :) I was reading on their website and it says that incoming freshmen fill out a questionnaire once fall semester has started to determine eligibility for further scholarships? Is that correct?

Fair enough. I'd write a letter then, attaching a copy of the offers you have from other schools. Be extremely courteous and professional, though, as money is tight. And don't expect more than 2-3k more.

As for the questionaire, yes it exists. It's for your 2L year, though.

scionb4
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 8:57 am

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby scionb4 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:16 am

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains, and the waving wheat, it sure smells sweet . . ."

staticdoor167
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby staticdoor167 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:29 pm

Does anyone know when OU starts waitlisting? Have they already? Do they only start after all the seats have been offered? Any thoughts on the chances of being admitted after waiting until the very last minute to apply? Thanks in advance if you have any input!

brocklanders12
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:34 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby brocklanders12 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:20 pm

staticdoor167 wrote:Does anyone know when OU starts waitlisting? Have they already? Do they only start after all the seats have been offered? Any thoughts on the chances of being admitted after waiting until the very last minute to apply? Thanks in advance if you have any input!


There are already people waitlisted: http://oklahoma.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0910

staticdoor167
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Postby staticdoor167 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:28 pm

Ooh thanks that's a cool website. And it def answers my waitlist question. Does anyone happen to know of applicants who have been accepted to any school despite applying on the last day?

Also, is there a way to submit an additional LOR after applying?

Does OU Law offer interviews?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, SweetTort and 4 guests