University of Oklahoma 2010! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
snake-eater

New

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Post by snake-eater » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:20 pm

tkolax wrote:well, i got rejected from texas, so i'll be going to OU law in the fall. Boomer Sooner
Lol, cheer up buddy. Being a Sooner isn't so bad.

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:26 am

who is running that facebook group that was mentioned earlier in the thread? I requested to be added weeks ago.

Brac1681

New

Post by Brac1681 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:21 pm

I have also requested membership to the facebook page. I'm looking forward so much to getting to know everyone!

donzoli

Bronze

Post by donzoli » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:32 pm

Has anyone heard anything lately? When did the last round of acceptances go out?

cuzco2000

New

Post by cuzco2000 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:09 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:who is running that facebook group that was mentioned earlier in the thread? I requested to be added weeks ago.
I haven't received anything, maybe request again, I had switched from public to private so everyone can discuss living arrangements and class schedules without prying eyes, so perhaps it got lost in the mix.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ecce

New

Post by Ecce » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:28 pm

WL via snail mail today. :?

OU wasn't one of my preferred schools, but it took me a little off guard. I thought I was in for sure.

dvt0004

New

Post by dvt0004 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:59 am

Accepted via phone call on 3/5. My first acceptance of the cycle (I applied late). Maybe I will see some of you come fall.

hunkydory

New

Post by hunkydory » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:28 pm

dvt0004 wrote:Accepted via phone call on 3/5. My first acceptance of the cycle (I applied late). Maybe I will see some of you come fall.
Congrats! me too! I didn't get a chance to talk to admissions though since I didn't get the message until after 5. I'm assuming they'll send an admit packet soon. The woman in the admissions office mentioned nothing about scholarships. That worries me. Can anyone tell me how you found out about any scholarship offers?

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:02 pm

hunkydory wrote:
dvt0004 wrote:Accepted via phone call on 3/5. My first acceptance of the cycle (I applied late). Maybe I will see some of you come fall.
Congrats! me too! I didn't get a chance to talk to admissions though since I didn't get the message until after 5. I'm assuming they'll send an admit packet soon. The woman in the admissions office mentioned nothing about scholarships. That worries me. Can anyone tell me how you found out about any scholarship offers?
Susan informed me of my scholarship a few weeks later when I went for a visit, and then it came in the mail about a week after that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dvt0004

New

Post by dvt0004 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:02 am

hunkydory wrote:
Congrats to you too. She said that I should receive the admit packet by the middle of this week, so it should be the same for you.

hunkydory

New

Post by hunkydory » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks to you both for the answers. I'll be eagerly checking the mail now.

hunkydory

New

Post by hunkydory » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:38 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote: how do you feel about your employment prospects?
+1 I'd like to know the answer to this as well.
In the state of Oklahoma, I feel very positive. Am I going to land a biglaw job in New York? Probably not. Has something like that happened here in the past? Yes. If you have any specific questions about employment, feel free to ask and I'll be as candid as I can answering them.
Hi Patrick, thanks for your offer to help. I'm curious to know where the few OU graduates working in public interest law go. Is it mostly government jobs? Have you heard of anyone getting a job at a non-profit either in or out of state? I'll definitely ask admissions this when I visit the campus, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask you.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:51 am

hunkydory wrote: Hi Patrick, thanks for your offer to help. I'm curious to know where the few OU graduates working in public interest law go. Is it mostly government jobs? Have you heard of anyone getting a job at a non-profit either in or out of state? I'll definitely ask admissions this when I visit the campus, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask you.
Though there aren't many per class who go into true "public interest" work, there are several options available. Legal Aid, public defenders offices, Native American advocacy and a host of child advocacy groups are the most popular, I believe. Definitely ask about this when you visit though, as I'm not sure exactly on the numbers, starting salaries, locations, etc.

It seems like a rather large group of us, at least my class, are going to take government jobs as well, which I consider separate from PI. Many people land ADA, AUS-A and JAG positions coming from OU. The low cost of tuition and low cost of living make these jobs attractive options.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:02 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
hunkydory wrote: Hi Patrick, thanks for your offer to help. I'm curious to know where the few OU graduates working in public interest law go. Is it mostly government jobs? Have you heard of anyone getting a job at a non-profit either in or out of state? I'll definitely ask admissions this when I visit the campus, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask you.
Though there aren't many per class who go into true "public interest" work, there are several options available. Legal Aid, public defenders offices, Native American advocacy and a host of child advocacy groups are the most popular, I believe. Definitely ask about this when you visit though, as I'm not sure exactly on the numbers, starting salaries, locations, etc.

It seems like a rather large group of us, at least my class, are going to take government jobs as well, which I consider separate from PI. Many people land ADA, AUS-A and JAG positions coming from OU. The low cost of tuition and low cost of living make these jobs attractive options.
what would say the numbers are in your class taking Govt. jobs? Just wondering. Thx.

cle07007

New

Post by cle07007 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:12 am

First post on this thread:

So far I have been offered out-of-state tuition waiver as a scholarship (about 30,000 over 3 years). Anyone else in the same boat? Am I eligible to be considered for other offers besides that?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:59 am

cle07007 wrote:First post on this thread:

So far I have been offered out-of-state tuition waiver as a scholarship (about 30,000 over 3 years). Anyone else in the same boat? Am I eligible to be considered for other offers besides that?
First, welcome. Second, congrats. Third, yes, there are those of us in the same boat. Fourth, yes, you are eligible to be considered for other offers. The kicker is that you have to negotiate from here on out.
isaiah6v8 wrote: what would say the numbers are in your class taking Govt. jobs? Just wondering. Thx.
Not sure about the numbers for my class. Probably close to 15-20% in the class of 2010, though this is just a guess based on those with whom I have talked.

cle07007

New

Post by cle07007 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:33 pm

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. Best methods of negotiating.... over the phone or email? I have been accepted to BYU, which tuition is 1/2 of Oklahoma's. My stats are 161 3.99. I thought I might try tell them that I am absolutely interested in going to OU over BYU, but that the tuition price is an issue. We plan on living in Oklahoma for years to come, as my wife's family is from Norman. Any thoughts?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hunkydory

New

Post by hunkydory » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:18 pm

patrickd139 wrote:

Thank you. I will!

Also I received my admit packet on this week. Anyone else get a hand-written note from the Dean of Admissions? It was mostly stock sentences about how great OU is, but still very appreciated!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:13 pm

cle07007 wrote:Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. Best methods of negotiating.... over the phone or email? I have been accepted to BYU, which tuition is 1/2 of Oklahoma's. My stats are 161 3.99. I thought I might try tell them that I am absolutely interested in going to OU over BYU, but that the tuition price is an issue. We plan on living in Oklahoma for years to come, as my wife's family is from Norman. Any thoughts?
You named the worst methods to use when negotiating. Go in person (if that's at all possible). FWIW, it sounds like you have a compelling argument for mo' $$, but it's a bit late in the game for negotiating.

GL!

cle07007

New

Post by cle07007 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:07 am

Obviously person is the best, no doubt about it. There is just no way to get from Rexburg, ID to Norman anytime soon :) I was reading on their website and it says that incoming freshmen fill out a questionnaire once fall semester has started to determine eligibility for further scholarships? Is that correct?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:03 am

cle07007 wrote:Obviously person is the best, no doubt about it. There is just no way to get from Rexburg, ID to Norman anytime soon :) I was reading on their website and it says that incoming freshmen fill out a questionnaire once fall semester has started to determine eligibility for further scholarships? Is that correct?
Fair enough. I'd write a letter then, attaching a copy of the offers you have from other schools. Be extremely courteous and professional, though, as money is tight. And don't expect more than 2-3k more.

As for the questionaire, yes it exists. It's for your 2L year, though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:16 am

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains, and the waving wheat, it sure smells sweet . . ."

staticdoor167

New

Post by staticdoor167 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:29 pm

Does anyone know when OU starts waitlisting? Have they already? Do they only start after all the seats have been offered? Any thoughts on the chances of being admitted after waiting until the very last minute to apply? Thanks in advance if you have any input!

brocklanders12

New

Post by brocklanders12 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:20 pm

staticdoor167 wrote:Does anyone know when OU starts waitlisting? Have they already? Do they only start after all the seats have been offered? Any thoughts on the chances of being admitted after waiting until the very last minute to apply? Thanks in advance if you have any input!
There are already people waitlisted: http://oklahoma.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0910

staticdoor167

New

Post by staticdoor167 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:28 pm

Ooh thanks that's a cool website. And it def answers my waitlist question. Does anyone happen to know of applicants who have been accepted to any school despite applying on the last day?

Also, is there a way to submit an additional LOR after applying?

Does OU Law offer interviews?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”