University of Oklahoma 2010! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
starrynight62

New

Re: University of Oklahoma 2010!

Post by starrynight62 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:00 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:On his LSN profile he listed his scholly info, and he had multiplied it over the 3 years. I was just trying to see how much money was getting put back into the pool.
Okay, that makes complete sense. I have no idea why that was confusing me.

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:32 pm

starrynight62 wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:On his LSN profile he listed his scholly info, and he had multiplied it over the 3 years. I was just trying to see how much money was getting put back into the pool.
Okay, that makes complete sense. I have no idea why that was confusing me.
no worries, thinking is optional until August! ; )

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:05 pm

anyone else wonder what it would take for OU to move up the rankings? I realize OK is not considered a prime Legal market, so that makes it very difficult, but facilities and faculty seem really good. Maybe trying to become more competitive in terms of incoming students, though without the ranking, that is a tough one, too.

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:38 pm

also, anyone else planning on buying the Macbook Pro from the IT store at OU?

Mellojello7

New

Post by Mellojello7 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:13 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:also, anyone else planning on buying the Macbook Pro from the IT store at OU?
I would be interested but it would be good to see if the exam software used at OU is compatible with Macs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:34 pm

Mellojello7 wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:also, anyone else planning on buying the Macbook Pro from the IT store at OU?
I would be interested but it would be good to see if the exam software used at OU is compatible with Macs.
From what I know, just like most law schools, the exam software is intended for PC use, but you can partition your hard drive on a Mac and run boot camp and be able to run the software. On my visits to various schools I have asked about this, and the students have said the Mac actually runs it better and seems to be more reliable.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:55 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:
Mellojello7 wrote:
From what I know, just like most law schools, the exam software is intended for PC use, but you can partition your hard drive on a Mac and run boot camp and be able to run the software. On my visits to various schools I have asked about this, and the students have said the Mac actually runs it better and seems to be more reliable.
This.

/Mac user.

brocklanders12

New

Post by brocklanders12 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:16 pm

Anyone going to the Moot court/Admissions event on Friday?

washed out

New

Post by washed out » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:13 pm

I'll be there. It's my visit day as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:36 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:
Mellojello7 wrote:
This.

/Mac user.
Thanks for the confirmation Patrick. Are you upgrading to the new macbook pro? I heard something about a special sale at OU's IT store on the 30th.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:55 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:Thanks for the confirmation Patrick. Are you upgrading to the new macbook pro? I heard something about a special sale at OU's IT store on the 30th.
Not sure about the special sale, but they're about to demolish the building the IT Store is in to erect a parking garage; so it wouldn't surprise me.

PSA for Mac Users: ExamSoft, the testing software employed by OU Law, is releasing a MacOS version of its software. This means Mac users will no longer have to run Bootcamp during exams (giant PITA, IMO). OU IT will make it available for student use starting fall 2010.

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:52 am

patrickd139 wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:Thanks for the confirmation Patrick. Are you upgrading to the new macbook pro? I heard something about a special sale at OU's IT store on the 30th.
Not sure about the special sale, but they're about to demolish the building the IT Store is in to erect a parking garage; so it wouldn't surprise me.

PSA for Mac Users: ExamSoft, the testing software employed by OU Law, is releasing a MacOS version of its software. This means Mac users will no longer have to run Bootcamp during exams (giant PITA, IMO). OU IT will make it available for student use starting fall 2010.
That is great news! The guy at the IT store when I called told me about the sale, I was asking because i was unsure if I should order my Mac before I could get up to campus or if I should wait until getting there. He told me there would be big discounts from 8 to 8 on the 30th. I will be there!

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:40 pm

only had a couple of responses to what kind of law you want to practice, anyone else?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

twade

New

Post by twade » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:45 am

patrickd139 wrote:

Where did you hear that they were going to erect a parking garage on top of the old Campus Market area? I've been hoping they would do that for years, but it has never come up in the Regents meetings. I know OU kept extending the leases on all of those buildings, but I'm afraid they are going to level it and just leave it vacant for a bit- like they have done with the Parkview Apartments on Lindsey. Boren doesn't like parking garages.

twade

New

Post by twade » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:51 am

isaiah6v8 wrote:only had a couple of responses to what kind of law you want to practice, anyone else?
I work for an insurance litigation firm, so let's hope Civ Pro and Torts go well. That being said, I want to be in civil litigation of some fashion or another. I respect the hell out of anyone wanting to do any sort of transactional work- I don't think I'm cut out for that line of work.

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:09 am

twade wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:only had a couple of responses to what kind of law you want to practice, anyone else?
I work for an insurance litigation firm, so let's hope Civ Pro and Torts go well. That being said, I want to be in civil litigation of some fashion or another. I respect the hell out of anyone wanting to do any sort of transactional work- I don't think I'm cut out for that line of work.
are you hoping to go back to the firm you work with now? Or are you looking for other avenues?

twade

New

Post by twade » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:51 am

isaiah6v8 wrote:
twade wrote:
are you hoping to go back to the firm you work with now? Or are you looking for other avenues?
Yes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

starrynight62

New

Post by starrynight62 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:15 am

twade wrote:
Boren doesn't like parking garages.
Aesthetically? Philosophically? I'm intrigued.

twade

New

Post by twade » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:59 am

starrynight62 wrote:
twade wrote:
Boren doesn't like parking garages.
Aesthetically? Philosophically? I'm intrigued.
From what I have gathered, it is actually a few things:

1) The infrastructure around campus isn't the best developed. Most roads around campus are one lane in each direction. Putting a higher density of cars in an area places further strain on the system.

2) Parking garages are expensive. The density of development makes surface parking cheap, and garages unnecessary. It would take years and years to pay another one off. The administration doesn't really care much about students having to walk to class. Note: the law school is lucky; we have our own lot very close to the school. I started out at UT, and part of our parking was across I-35, so I don't think OU is alone in this.

3) Parking garages have been built only where the outside community (donors) would be affected. Boren loves the arts, and the state worships football (perhaps rightfully so), so the garages are placed around the stadium, union, and arts area.

The Greek community, along with the rest of the university, has been pushing for a garage behind Dale Hall for years. It would really cut down on the congestion around the houses west of campus. Right now Greek houses just buy other homes, tear them down, and create surface lots on the land. The university does the same thing. They bought the Pike house for a few million, and then turned it into another surface lot near the dorms. Every time a parking garage gets brought up, it is always "cost factors" that are given as the reason.

All of that being said, the lot on the SE corner of Jenkins and Lindsey would be a great location for a parking garage- donors love Sooner football. The university/athletic dept. is currently raising money for bigger athletic dorms which are across the street from the lot. If or when the aquatic center ever gets built (a whole other debacle), it will severely cut down on the parking near the stadium. At that point a garage might be built, but I don't know that enough easements could be created to add the extra lanes to get traffic in and out of the garage (great location, but bad access). I would venture to guess that lot will be surface parking the entire time we are at OU. As parking continues to become a problem, the university will do what it does best- buy homes to create surface parking.

I could go on, but I'll stop for now, haha.

brocklanders12

New

Post by brocklanders12 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:39 pm

It's also my understanding that Molly Boren hates parking garages from an aesthetic viewpoint. They aren't beautiful but they are necessary.

starrynight62

New

Post by starrynight62 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Interesting. Thanks for the rundown. I don't care for parking garages, but they seem like they would be more attractive and efficient than miles of endless surface parking.

I am loving the law school parking situation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:29 pm

See, I went to Baylor, so we are fine with a parking garage as long as it has steeples, I guess so that it resembles a church.

twade

New

Post by twade » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:41 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:See, I went to Baylor, so we are fine with a parking garage as long as it has steeples, I guess so that it resembles a church.
Yeah Baylor, without a doubt, can lay claim to the Big XII South's Parking Garage Championship.

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:48 pm

twade wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:See, I went to Baylor, so we are fine with a parking garage as long as it has steeples, I guess so that it resembles a church.
Yeah Baylor, without a doubt, can lay claim to the Big XII South's Parking Garage Championship.
It's always nice to win at something!

starrynight62

New

Post by starrynight62 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:58 pm

Anyone go to the moot court/admissions event? How was it?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”