William and Mary - Marshall Wythe School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
joebruin2.0

Postby joebruin2.0 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:44 pm

Yeah, you say. I'll only attend if I get Van Alstyn. Talk to Dean Jackson and she'll make it happen. A few people pitched a fit when they didn't get him on their upcoming spring schedules... most got their classes changed.

Fly

Postby Fly » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:47 pm

Sweet! Thanks for this information.

Edit: However, it is somewhat disappointing that he only offers two courses. I would imagine that would get somewhat boring for him. I know my UG profs try to change things up all the time.

Duchess85

Postby Duchess85 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:08 am

I am also strongly considering W&M. Does the small ranking difference between it and W&L actually chalk up to anything in terms of placement? Also, what would one have to place in the class to have a shot at landing a DC firm? How hard is it to obtain Virginia residency for instate tuition purposes?

joebruin2.0

Postby joebruin2.0 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:18 am

ok, well about the ranking difference... not sure about W&L vs. W&M

Placement in D.C. is relativily easy 9from what I've seen. Top half of the class gets pretty much choice of 2L summer jobs which is normally what leads to job offers. Although everyone seems to be walking out with a job (over half go to firms).

As for VA residency (most out of staters with good numbers get in-state in GRF)... otherwise 1 year in-state and you get it.

joebruin2.0

Re: William and Mary - Marshall Wythe School of Law

Postby joebruin2.0 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:59 pm

Update: Those that wanted to ensure they got the Con Law guru Van Alstyn... Careful what you wish for. I'm one of the lucky ones who got someone else. Nothing but horror stories coming out of his class. I guess being a great legal mind doesn't always translate into being a good teacher of the law. I have been blown away by my less-than-famous Con Law professor, he's amazingly good at teaching the subject. So just a word of warning, looking to study with the "great minds" can sometimes backfire.

Fly

Postby Fly » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:24 pm

Hmmm, interesting. What were their complaints? I've tended to like the professors who everyone else hated at my UG, so who knows?

MyHeadHurts

Postby MyHeadHurts » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:49 pm

Would anyone mind discussing more of the student life at William and Mary? I'm vaguely familiar with Williamsburg (lived there until I was 9), but since I'll be *cough* 28 *cough* come admissions time, I can't honestly say that I recall much.

The area around the school is all shops and delis and the like? No local bars/pubs/what have yous?

How's the town on other events? 5ks, 10ks, etc? I guess I'm just looking for the low-down on it all...

imdashep

Postby imdashep » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:12 pm

Meh, sucks pretty bad. I'm finishing UG here this year, and I can't say that it's very good. Law school is surrounded by nothing, if you drive about a mile you get to some shops. There are no really good bars or pubs, only the really shitty delis. They aren't bad I suppose, but it is all you will have. There is a lot of running though. Feel free to shoot me a PM with any more specific questions.

joebruin2.0

Postby joebruin2.0 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:27 pm

Williamsburg is not a great place if you're 22 and looking to get laid... but hey as a 1L you won't be worried about getting booty. There is plenty of stuff for the late 20s crowd.
- Virginia Beach is less than an hour away.
- Newport News (10 minutes away) has a regular mall and everything a normal city has
- Williamsburg itself has just about every type of eatery you can think of... and the bars that are here are populated by law students and silly UG girls looking to get some law school C*@k.
- The William and Nary community is pretty nice, lots of money and not too many trashy stuff or people.

Just my 2 cents

algren

Postby algren » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:10 pm

Considering W & M for school and was just looking for a general update to this thread. Are the observations previously noted still accurate? Any interesting news on the placement or social situations?

georgetown.hopeful

Postby georgetown.hopeful » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:09 pm

i know this thread hasn't been updated in quite some time...was wondering if anyone could give me thoughts on the W&M figure for annual living expenses/books?

they have listed on the website:
living expenses-- $13,650
and
books -- $1,300

is this a true estimate? any williamsburg/W&M people out there?

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Wed May 12, 2010 2:25 pm

Hey 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls. I imagine you are RIGHT now in the middle of final exams, but if you see this, do you know what W&M is like in the way of need-based aid. With such a low tuition (esp. if I can manage residency after 1L), I see why they part with less $ than other schools.
But, let's say you're a student with less than $2K in the bank, $10K debt to undergrad, earned like $8K last year while in school, and is 37 with EFC = 0.
OK, that student is me. Any idea what I can hope in the way of need-based grants? $3K a year? $%K? Nada?

Tx.

sladegalute

Postby sladegalute » Thu May 13, 2010 1:38 pm

I'm a 0L and will be attending W&M this fall. I wanna know the answer to these questions as well. There is however and active thread with 2-3 current students on it that is simply called William & Mary. Its on the second page of this list and from what I've seen you will be much more likely to get your answers

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Thu May 13, 2010 4:42 pm

sladegalute wrote:I'm a 0L and will be attending W&M this fall. I wanna know the answer to these questions as well. There is however and active thread with 2-3 current students on it that is simply called William & Mary. Its on the second page of this list and from what I've seen you will be much more likely to get your answers

Yeah, no luck there yet either. I have tried the W&M Acceptances/Waitlists thread too, since my question could reasonably be answered by either current "Discuss Your School" students, or by soon-to-be "Acceptances/Waitlists" students. [That was for the rules junkies out there :wink: ]

texas08

Postby texas08 » Sun May 16, 2010 12:12 pm

I responded in the current thread. Should be above this one now.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”