The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Jules Winnfield
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby Jules Winnfield » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:01 am

All I'm saying is this, it's really unbecoming of people to ridicule others for which law schools they attend. Some of the people at Cooley probably didn't have the same opportunities that many on TLS had. And just because they probably didn't score as high on the LSAT or had an incredible GPA, it doesn't mean they're less deserving people, let alone law students. At the end of the day, you're ridiculing the students who attend Cooley on the basis of numbers; this is really sad based on the fact we're all a couple logic game or logical reasoning sections away from being where Cooley students are.

Law school is temporary. Class is permanent.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby James Bond » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:05 am

Cooley brings it on themselves. Notice how we're not making fun of everyone who goes to a school outside of the T100. Just Cooley.

User avatar
Jules Winnfield
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby Jules Winnfield » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:14 am

James Bond wrote:Cooley brings it on themselves. Notice how we're not making fun of everyone who goes to a school outside of the T100. Just Cooley.


Other than the faux rankings, how does Cooley brings it on itself?

leftofthedial
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby leftofthedial » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:16 am

Jules Winnfield wrote:All I'm saying is this, it's really unbecoming of people to ridicule others for which law schools they attend. Some of the people at Cooley probably didn't have the same opportunities that many on TLS had. And just because they probably didn't score as high on the LSAT or had an incredible GPA, it doesn't mean they're less deserving people, let alone law students. At the end of the day, you're ridiculing the students who attend Cooley on the basis of numbers; this is really sad based on the fact we're all a couple logic game or logical reasoning sections away from being where Cooley students are.

Law school is temporary. Class is permanent.


+1. You're hanging in there with that shepherd thing.

User avatar
$1.99
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 am

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby $1.99 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:18 am

i do partially agree with james bond unfortunately, cooley kids did poorly as an undergrad AND on the LSAT and in whatever career they pursued. If they even had one of those traits, they wouldnt be going to cooley. even worse, they wouldnt be tricked by cooley into attending that joke of an institute.

although these students may find success later in their career, still doesnt change the fact they sucked in the past.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby Unemployed » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:22 am

lostjake wrote:I grew up in a small town. Small. 9000 people. Believe it or not, the cops are hand in hand with the lawyers. You spend money, you get off, if not, you pay the fine. I'm not sure where you get the Many people from TLS number, seriously... SRLSY... but, yes, if Jonas wants to be a judge, or if Jonas can't get into Big Law, which most won't, even on this Forum... This is a cooley thread right?


Am I the only person who's bothered by your rambling prose? I think I understand what you are saying, despite your writing. So you were scoliding jonas for belittling potential clients.

I said "many" because I can literally think of about 100 posters that I have encountered on this site who are in (or will get) biglaw. That's many, isn't it? Note how I didn't say "most." That this is a cooley thread makes no difference. I can say with confidence that very few, if any, registered TLS users are going to Cooley...

But I'm not here to fight you. I agree it was a tasteless comment.

User avatar
jonas586
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:21 am

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby jonas586 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:24 pm

Unemployed wrote:
lostjake wrote:I grew up in a small town. Small. 9000 people. Believe it or not, the cops are hand in hand with the lawyers. You spend money, you get off, if not, you pay the fine. I'm not sure where you get the Many people from TLS number, seriously... SRLSY... but, yes, if Jonas wants to be a judge, or if Jonas can't get into Big Law, which most won't, even on this Forum... This is a cooley thread right?


Am I the only person who's bothered by your rambling prose? I think I understand what you are saying, despite your writing. So you were scoliding jonas for belittling potential clients.

I said "many" because I can literally think of about 100 posters that I have encountered on this site who are in (or will get) biglaw. That's many, isn't it? Note how I didn't say "most." That this is a cooley thread makes no difference. I can say with confidence that very few, if any, registered TLS users are going to Cooley...

But I'm not here to fight you. I agree it was a tasteless comment.

I literally have no idea what lostjake is talking about; hence, my lack of response.

Also, I don't know how my previous post was interpreted as me belitting potential clients.

User avatar
Rocketman11
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:32 am

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby Rocketman11 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:32 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:Some of the people at Cooley probably didn't have the same opportunities that many on TLS had. And just because they probably didn't score as high on the LSAT or had an incredible GPA, it doesn't mean they're less deserving people, let alone law students.


OK here is where you are just catering to a minority. The fact that you had to litter your argument with "some" and "probably" speaks volumes about how little water it holds. Being from Michigan, I know people who are at Cooley. These people attended the same UG as I did and I was even in class with them -- but I got into plenty of T1 schools. They are just not intelligent people. I fear for the people they will be giving legal advice to. It's a problem. These are my classmates who stood up in polisci class and made the worst arguments ever, to the point that conservatives and liberals joined forces to berate them.

What really grinds my gears about Cooley is that these people have school pride. They drink Kool Aid for breakfast, lunch, dinner, in addition to semi-weekly enemas from the Kool Aid man himself. OH YEAH?! They honestly believe they are at a great law school and it's just an "unsung hero" in the USNWR rankings.

They should not be lawyers. Thomas M Cooley is an enabler school.

User avatar
$1.99
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 am

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby $1.99 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:Some of the people at Cooley probably didn't have the same opportunities that many on TLS had. And just because they probably didn't score as high on the LSAT or had an incredible GPA, it doesn't mean they're less deserving people, let alone law students.


OK here is where you are just catering to a minority. The fact that you had to litter your argument with "some" and "probably" speaks volumes about how little water it holds. Being from Michigan, I know people who are at Cooley. These people attended the same UG as I did and I was even in class with them -- but I got into plenty of T1 schools. They are just not intelligent people. I fear for the people they will be giving legal advice to. It's a problem. These are my classmates who stood up in polisci class and made the worst arguments ever, to the point that conservatives and liberals joined forces to berate them.

What really grinds my gears about Cooley is that these people have school pride. They drink Kool Aid for breakfast, lunch, dinner, in addition to semi-weekly enemas from the Kool Aid man himself. OH YEAH?! They honestly believe they are at a great law school and it's just an "unsung hero" in the USNWR rankings.

They should not be lawyers. Thomas M Cooley is an enabler school.


Nicely said, they do deserve less because they have worked less than the others who have dedicated enough time to maintain a steady gpa and study to obtain a decent LSAT. I have met Cooley kids too and i was shocked to find some of them actually do believe their school is a hidden gem and that their rankings hold weight. One student even said "I go to a top law school" when I asked him where he went to law school.

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby Z3RO » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:All I'm saying is this, it's really unbecoming of people to ridicule others for which law schools they attend. Some of the people at Cooley probably didn't have the same opportunities that many on TLS had. And just because they probably didn't score as high on the LSAT or had an incredible GPA, it doesn't mean they're less deserving people, let alone law students. At the end of the day, you're ridiculing the students who attend Cooley on the basis of numbers; this is really sad based on the fact we're all a couple logic game or logical reasoning sections away from being where Cooley students are.

Law school is temporary. Class is permanent.



Jules Winnfield wrote:Regardless, I'm sure I'm gonna be fine should I opt to attend CLS. You need to worry about getting in.


Jules Winnfield wrote:Hahaha at you squeaking in! That's tough talk for somebody who's probably not good enough to get into Columbia, let alone face me on campus.


Jules Winnfield wrote:C.) I didn't apply to Cornell. However, I WILL NOT withdraw and give a RC failure like you an opportunity to attend a T5. It feels good to be studying at Columbia next year. I just hope the financial aid package is halfway decent so I can attend.

Have a good rest of the cycle!

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby James Bond » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:49 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:in addition to semi-weekly enemas from the Kool Aid man himself. OH YEAH?!


Amazing

and it looks like you show your true colors after all, Jules

User avatar
Jules Winnfield
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby Jules Winnfield » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:56 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:Some of the people at Cooley probably didn't have the same opportunities that many on TLS had. And just because they probably didn't score as high on the LSAT or had an incredible GPA, it doesn't mean they're less deserving people, let alone law students.


OK here is where you are just catering to a minority. The fact that you had to litter your argument with "some" and "probably" speaks volumes about how little water it holds. Being from Michigan, I know people who are at Cooley. These people attended the same UG as I did and I was even in class with them -- but I got into plenty of T1 schools. They are just not intelligent people. I fear for the people they will be giving legal advice to. It's a problem. These are my classmates who stood up in polisci class and made the worst arguments ever, to the point that conservatives and liberals joined forces to berate them.

What really grinds my gears about Cooley is that these people have school pride. They drink Kool Aid for breakfast, lunch, dinner, in addition to semi-weekly enemas from the Kool Aid man himself. OH YEAH?! They honestly believe they are at a great law school and it's just an "unsung hero" in the USNWR rankings.

They should not be lawyers. Thomas M Cooley is an enabler school.


1.) You basing your entire opinion on the handful/group of Cooley students who happened to attend your UG. As a future attorney and a scholar, you know better than to base a declarative statement based on a handful/group of individuals out of an entire student population. And just because you were able to attend a T1, it doesn't mean they could. If anything, you prove that making it into a T1 is not as simple as it was for you. This alone is a logic fail on your part.

2.) And how dare these students have pride in their school. You know that Cooley has a high turnover rate, right? I'd be curious to see whether or not you'd be able to survive that attrition rate. I think it's something like 20-50% of their students flunk out after the first year. In all honesty, I'd probably love the fact that I survived that attrition rate. To call them "Kool-Aid drinkers" is a bit misplaced when considering this.

3.) Ah, yes, the notorious rankings where Cooley placed themselves 12th ahead of Stanford, UCLA and a bunch of other T1 fixtures (according to USNWR, at least). While those rankings are highly debatable/laughable, it must be pointed out that "judging a legal education by what caliber of students enter will not adequately address the quality of lawyers which come out." This is actually an interesting notion that could actually have some merit in it if people suffering from group-think actually gave it some though. Furthermore, the ranking system employed "less relevant criteria" like library volumes to offset UGPA/LSAT numbers. Alright, it's true that they never revealed how these rankings were mathematically calculated but, on the same token, the school only claimed to be 12th best when it came to its own (granted, shaky) criteria--that's not the same as saying "we're the 12th best law school in the nation", like what some TLSers interpreted the ranking system to be. In this regard, TLSers who employ these rankings to knock Cooley are actually sad for the group-think reading comprehension fail. Yeah, I said it.

4.) "They should not be lawyers."----Thank you, God! Can you tell me when the world's coming to the end? Will I be damned in the flames of Hell or blessed with Eternal Life in your Kingdom?

Listen, don't get me wrong--Cooley is a less than ideal law school. And, yes, there is a strong argument to be made that Cooley has dealt in shady business, mainly because of the rankings. And, yes, it enjoys a less than ideal reputation within the legal community. BUT, this does not give any of us the right to look down or ridicule the students who attend the school. It's probably true that they weren't the ideal students. It could also be true that they also didn't have the same opportunities as many TLSers, as well. Either way, as I said before, it's really unbecoming of the people who are in T1s/T2s to ridicule the students who attend Cooley. They've been handed lemons and they're trying to make lemonade. Get off your high horses and grow up.

User avatar
$1.99
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 am

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby $1.99 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:59 pm

lol jules... i feel embarrassed for you, so getting into CLS gives you the right to be a douche? or only a douche to other kids who compete with you and not to cooley kids since you see them more as a pity case. stop embarrassing yourself on the internet and close your laptop.

User avatar
Jules Winnfield
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby Jules Winnfield » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:00 pm

Z3RO wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:All I'm saying is this, it's really unbecoming of people to ridicule others for which law schools they attend. Some of the people at Cooley probably didn't have the same opportunities that many on TLS had. And just because they probably didn't score as high on the LSAT or had an incredible GPA, it doesn't mean they're less deserving people, let alone law students. At the end of the day, you're ridiculing the students who attend Cooley on the basis of numbers; this is really sad based on the fact we're all a couple logic game or logical reasoning sections away from being where Cooley students are.

Law school is temporary. Class is permanent.



Jules Winnfield wrote:Regardless, I'm sure I'm gonna be fine should I opt to attend CLS. You need to worry about getting in.


Jules Winnfield wrote:Hahaha at you squeaking in! That's tough talk for somebody who's probably not good enough to get into Columbia, let alone face me on campus.


Jules Winnfield wrote:C.) I didn't apply to Cornell. However, I WILL NOT withdraw and give a RC failure like you an opportunity to attend a T5. It feels good to be studying at Columbia next year. I just hope the financial aid package is halfway decent so I can attend.

Have a good rest of the cycle!



Wow, you can quote me. But you fail to acknowledge and post how I've repeatedly told the OP in the thread that you're quoting that I'd much rather attend Cornell (a lower ranked LS than CLS) for free rather than go to CLS. What's worse on your part is how you ignored the fact I was talking to a snot-nosed TLS poster who was on the CLS hold list and vowing to chase me on campus and beat me up, should he be admitted.

Nice try ZERO, but you get a ZERO for all your effort and success and making me seem like an elitist.

User avatar
Jules Winnfield
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby Jules Winnfield » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:03 pm

And you fail in this debate just for the fact that you've resorted to shaky ad hominems to destroy the credibility in my arguments.

Just because I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to attend CLS, it doesn't mean that I've lost my compassion and class in terms of treating other people with respect. I'm going to respect each and every law student, regardless of where they attend school.

It's just sad that many people on TLS seem to lack that compassion and respect for their peers on the basis of USNWR rankings.

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby Mattalones » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:05 pm

Until this thread, I didn't know Cooley was a real school. I only heard jokes about it on TLS and saw some alternative ranking thing that always placed Colley at #1, which is another reason I thought it was fake ... Seeing a news real about one of its students coming to the rescue in a coffee shop doesn't make me believe in it either. Can anyone prove the existence of this so called "school?" :lol:

Jules Winnfield wrote:And you fail in this debate just for the fact that you've resorted to shaky ad hominems to destroy the credibility in my arguments.

His name was Shady Yassin, not Shady Ad hominems

... end smart-ass remarks :wink:

User avatar
Jules Winnfield
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby Jules Winnfield » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:07 pm

Mattalones wrote:Until this thread, I didn't know Cooley was a real school. I only heard jokes about it on TLS and saw some alternative ranking thing that always placed Colley at #1, which is another reason I thought it was fake ... Seeing a news real about one of its students coming to the rescue in a coffee shop doesn't make me believe in it either. Can anyone prove the existence of this so called "school?" :lol:

Jules Winnfield wrote:And you fail in this debate just for the fact that you've resorted to shaky ad hominems to destroy the credibility in my arguments.

His name was Shady Yassin, not Shady Ad hominems

... end smart-ass remarks :wink:


LOL!, +1

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby Mattalones » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:
Mattalones wrote:Until this thread, I didn't know Cooley was a real school. I only heard jokes about it on TLS and saw some alternative ranking thing that always placed Colley at #1, which is another reason I thought it was fake ... Seeing a news real about one of its students coming to the rescue in a coffee shop doesn't make me believe in it either. Can anyone prove the existence of this so called "school?" :lol:

Jules Winnfield wrote:And you fail in this debate just for the fact that you've resorted to shaky ad hominems to destroy the credibility in my arguments.

His name was Shady Yassin, not Shady Ad hominems

... end smart-ass remarks :wink:


LOL!, +1

Thanks, I love your avatar btw ... Best movie ever!

User avatar
Jules Winnfield
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby Jules Winnfield » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:12 pm

Mattalones wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:
Mattalones wrote:Until this thread, I didn't know Cooley was a real school. I only heard jokes about it on TLS and saw some alternative ranking thing that always placed Colley at #1, which is another reason I thought it was fake ... Seeing a news real about one of its students coming to the rescue in a coffee shop doesn't make me believe in it either. Can anyone prove the existence of this so called "school?" :lol:

Jules Winnfield wrote:And you fail in this debate just for the fact that you've resorted to shaky ad hominems to destroy the credibility in my arguments.

His name was Shady Yassin, not Shady Ad hominems

... end smart-ass remarks :wink:


LOL!, +1

Thanks, I love your avatar btw ... Best movie ever!


Thank you! And of course it is! Tarantino really made gold out of that movie.

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby Z3RO » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Though I actually agreed with your sentiment in this circumstance (somebody saying AA is bad), a cursory glance at your post history gave me this:

Jules Winnfield wrote:The only degenerate ITT is the one who is trolling on this website because he couldn't hack it in a "TTT" and is the epitome of personal and intellectual failure.


I just thought it would be funny to point out that you were a bit hypocritical. I don't think the other people in this thread really hate the Cooley students. In fact, this thread's tone is mostly one of celebrating the students in spite of the unfortunate school they attend.

User avatar
Jules Winnfield
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby Jules Winnfield » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:27 pm

Z3RO wrote:Though I actually agreed with your sentiment in this circumstance (somebody saying AA is bad), a cursory glance at your post history gave me this:

Jules Winnfield wrote:The only degenerate ITT is the one who is trolling on this website because he couldn't hack it in a "TTT" and is the epitome of personal and intellectual failure.


I just thought it would be funny to point out that you were a bit hypocritical. I don't think the other people in this thread really hate the Cooley students. In fact, this thread's tone is mostly one of celebrating the students in spite of the unfortunate school they attend.


Again, you're taking quotes out of context. The person who said that claimed that anybody who supports AA is an intellectual degenerate. Plus he called his ex-school a "TTT" himself. So, I just turned his stupidity on its head.

Another 0 for you.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:29 pm

$1.99 wrote:
Nicely said, they do deserve less because they have worked less than the others who have dedicated enough time to maintain a steady gpa and study to obtain a decent LSAT. I have met Cooley kids too and i was shocked to find some of them actually do believe their school is a hidden gem and that their rankings hold weight. One student even said "I go to a top law school" when I asked him where he went to law school.
HOLY ELITISM AND ENTITLEMENT.

User avatar
ogman05
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby ogman05 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:09 pm

Did anyone else clink on the link to go to the real article. the coffee house was called the "bitter end". :shock:

User avatar
agentdedalus
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby agentdedalus » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Cooley spats aside, this guy gets Bad Motherf*$%!r of the Day award. Jules, loan him your wallet. And no, haters, that is not a veiled class reference.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: The fine students of Thomas M. Cooley

Postby Unemployed » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:26 pm

jonas586 wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
lostjake wrote:I grew up in a small town. Small. 9000 people. Believe it or not, the cops are hand in hand with the lawyers. You spend money, you get off, if not, you pay the fine. I'm not sure where you get the Many people from TLS number, seriously... SRLSY... but, yes, if Jonas wants to be a judge, or if Jonas can't get into Big Law, which most won't, even on this Forum... This is a cooley thread right?


Am I the only person who's bothered by your rambling prose? I think I understand what you are saying, despite your writing. So you were scoliding jonas for belittling potential clients.

I said "many" because I can literally think of about 100 posters that I have encountered on this site who are in (or will get) biglaw. That's many, isn't it? Note how I didn't say "most." That this is a cooley thread makes no difference. I can say with confidence that very few, if any, registered TLS users are going to Cooley...

But I'm not here to fight you. I agree it was a tasteless comment.

I literally have no idea what lostjake is talking about; hence, my lack of response.

Also, I don't know how my previous post was interpreted as me belitting potential clients.


I know. He should have addressed the original comment itself (i.e. "they suck at everything" comment), not your concurrence.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests