Hastings 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sbcity24

Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby sbcity24 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:45 pm

Thought I would take some time to answer any questions people might have. Any other Hastings people should feel free to comment as well.

articulably suspect

Re: Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby articulably suspect » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:59 pm

How is it looking for Hasting students looking for work in govt, pi, etc., both in the city and in the rest of N CA?

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:05 pm

being a city school is there much of a community feel there?

stuffnuff

Postby stuffnuff » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:07 pm

Any info regarding class of 09 job stats?

sbcity24

Postby sbcity24 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:15 pm

As a 1L I haven't really been exposed to exactly what the outlook is, either for government or PI. However, I can say that the majority of the people I've talked to are confident about their prospects for finding work in those areas. Only time will tell whether that confidence is misplaced. I know that judicial externships and PI are still very real possibilities for 1L's, but as far as government goes, I could see the CA State hiring freeze being a potential (see impenetrable?) bar to jobs there. From my view, I appreciate that Hastings hasn't tried to sugarcoat the different realities facing law students now as compared with a few years back. Instead they have been attempting to keep students aware of opportunities that exist outside of the traditional areas of employment.

Like I said, it remains to be seen, but maybe the perspective of a 2L or 3L would be a better indicator as how they feel the prospects are.

sbcity24

Postby sbcity24 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:25 pm

Headybrah wrote:being a city school is there much of a community feel there?

Yes. I've actually found the community feel to be more present than I expected. While it lacks the traditional collegiate environment in terms of campus, etc. it still maintains a relatively friendly and outgoing atmosphere. All the talk about competition and cutthroat behavior hasn't really manifested itself as far as I can tell. Needless to say there is a huge upside to living in the city as well. There's always something to do if you need to get your mind off studying for a while, and people are usually pretty willing to go out and have a good time.

Events such as BOB (Beer on the Beach), 1L happy hours, and other school sponsored events definitely contribute to the community feel as well.

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:54 pm

Do you live the the McAllister tower? If so, how is it? If not, whereabouts do you live?

sbcity24

Postby sbcity24 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:46 am

jbaritot wrote:Do you live the the McAllister tower? If so, how is it? If not, whereabouts do you live?

I actually don't live in the tower, but it seems like the majority of people who do live there seem to like it. The convenience definitely can't be beat, but the surrounding neighborhoods (not the Tenderloin) are all nice and easily accessible on Muni or BART. The Mission, Hayes Valley, Cow Hollow, Pac Heights and Nob Hill/Tendernob are all popular places for students to live. There are also a decent amount of people that live in the East Bay and take BART to school, which is pretty convenient.

I think it comes down to the convenience factor versus having your own spot and being able to disconnect from the law school...energy? A high rise full of stressed law students during finals was enough to make me put in a little extra effort and find an apartment a mile or so away from school, and I've been happy with that decision.

stonepeep

Postby stonepeep » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:36 am

I'm also a Hastings 1L! I'm really enjoying myself so far. Very glad I decided to ignore all of the rumors about how competitive Hastings is, because I have not seen any of that at all. People are generally friendly and helpful.

General comments about the community and places to live:

First of all, it's very high school/undergrad-like in terms of the social atmosphere. We had a "Law School Prom" in October! (I didn't go). It's probably like this at every law school, and it doesn't bother me but it's just not quite what I expected.

I live in the East Bay and commute via BART, which has worked well for me. The only drawback is that it's a bit harder to go to some of the nighttime events because I get sick of hanging out on campus for hours between the end of class and the start of whatever happy hour/bar night/etc is going on, and if I go home after class I never feel like coming back into the city. But I'm a bit older than your average law student (29) and don't need to party all the time so it's fine.

I'm not sure I'd live in the Tower just because it's so ridiculously expensive for such a tiny space, and as nice as it would be to roll out of bed 5 minutes before class starts, I think I'd go crazy if I was always so close to campus. People are spazzing out about finals right now to a ridiculous degree. But, I haven't heard any complaints from the Tower-dwellers, so I think it's just a matter of knowing ahead of time what type of situation you'd be most comfortable with.

stuffnuff wrote:Any info regarding class of 09 job stats?

Nothing released yet that I know of. For the most part 1Ls aren't going to be able to answer any job-related questions with anything more than conjecture.

Sotong

Postby Sotong » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:10 pm

Can any Hastings 1L out there share their class schedule with us? I'd like to get an idea what time classes typically start/end and so on. Thanks.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:05 am

Depending on your situation, what do you think, in retrospect, about your choice to attend a UC school which will see tuition raise a significant amount for even in-state tuition? I'm more interested in people paying sticker, and what they want to do (i.e. are they counting on high-paying private practice/big law) and their debt considerations. If you're paying sticker, did you pass up lesser schools with money?

stonepeep

Postby stonepeep » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:02 pm

Sotong wrote:Can any Hastings 1L out there share their class schedule with us? I'd like to get an idea what time classes typically start/end and so on. Thanks.

Last semester it was:
Criminal Law, Monday 9:40-11:50, Wednesday 1:10-3:20
Contracts, Tues Wed Thurs Fri 9:40-10:40
Civil Procedure, Tues Thurs 12:00-2:10
LWR Thurs 4:40-6:50

This semester:
Torts, Mon Wed 9:40-11:50
Property, Mon Wed 1:10-3:20
Con Law, Tues 9:40-10:40, Thurs 9:40-11:50
Statutory Class (Tax, in my case) Tues 10:50-11:50, Fri 9:40-11:50
Moot Court, Wed 4:40-6:50

Depending on your situation, what do you think, in retrospect, about your choice to attend a UC school which will see tuition raise a significant amount for even in-state tuition? I'm more interested in people paying sticker, and what they want to do (i.e. are they counting on high-paying private practice/big law) and their debt considerations. If you're paying sticker, did you pass up lesser schools with money?

Yes, I did pass up lesser schools offering more money. I don't regret it, and think I'm getting my money's worth. Nothing in the state of CA is cheaper anyway, except maybe some sub T2s that I don't know about. I've lived in CA all my life and plan on working in the Bay Area, so I feel I made a good choice choosing Hastings.

ron1321

Postby ron1321 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:13 pm

How does Hastings place in socal? specifically San Diego? thanks!

edit: Im trying to decide btwn USD with $$ (im expecting) and Hastings. Thanks again!

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:04 pm

ron, there were 1-2 people here last cycle who made the same decision... giving you a bump, we'll see if they see and respond.

no interest in hijacking a thread of course, however i've been frequenting tls a bit more often lately and would also be happy to answer questions, or at least try to help direct any questions to other people. good luck all!

LSATnooblet

Postby LSATnooblet » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:18 pm

Hello, I am a Hastings 3L and the job prospects right now are terrible. I'm graduating during the worst year ever but I think this is the same across the board. If there are any questions you want to ask me about Hastings in general, send me a PM since I hardly come on this board anymore.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”