William & Mary Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
texas08

New

Re: William & Mary

Post by texas08 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:57 pm

I have the student one, and I'd say it's a little expensive for what you're getting. But, it was easier for me to just do that than shop around for my own and have to file it with the school. If you are going to have to get coverage for your family though anyways, you're might be better off just doing something all together, either through you're wife's job if possible, or on your own.

APHill

Bronze

Post by APHill » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:01 pm

College provided insurance is usually quite bad - what they give you is essentially a supplemental insurance. Expect something like 5000 hospitalization deductible.

sladegalute

New

Post by sladegalute » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:54 am

I recently submitted my seat deposit at William and Mary and I was wondering what you all could say about more affordable off-campus housing than was discussed earlier in this thread? I don't want to live in the Gradplex but cannot afford Sterling or something along those lines. I was wondering if there are any more affordable apartment/condo neighborhoods with a number of law students in them? Also, is it important to live in a neighborhood with other students to get in a social group or is it more flexible with people meeting at bars or apartments? Thanks

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:07 pm

I would try going through some of the local realty companies (just google williamsburg rentals or real estate). That's what I did, and my roomate and I pay $975 for a two bed, two bath apartment about two miles from campus. I would say that there aren't a lot of complexes where there is a big group of law students other than new town and sterling though; there are a couple other students where I live, but they aren't nearby and I hardly see them. I don't think that really matters for making friends though, other than maybe at the very beginning of the year.

sladegalute

New

Post by sladegalute » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:18 pm

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Padimud

Bronze

Post by Padimud » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:04 pm

What is the feasibility of biking to and from school. We will have one car but my wife will probably want to take that most days, so my thought was to bike or hoof it to school depending on proximity. What is the weather like during the school year? Does it rain frequently (any estimation of how often it seems to rain would be awesome)? How much is parking at the law school? Is there a place near the law school to lock up bikes? I know juvenile, but I am trying to get as best prepared as possible. So I need to budget now if I need to buy a little commuter to run across town in. Thanks.

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:53 pm

Padimud wrote:What is the feasibility of biking to and from school. We will have one car but my wife will probably want to take that most days, so my thought was to bike or hoof it to school depending on proximity. What is the weather like during the school year? Does it rain frequently (any estimation of how often it seems to rain would be awesome)? How much is parking at the law school? Is there a place near the law school to lock up bikes? I know juvenile, but I am trying to get as best prepared as possible. So I need to budget now if I need to buy a little commuter to run across town in. Thanks.
I would say it rains a couple days a month. Parking at the law school is between 300 and 400, I can't remember exactly how much. It's definitely too cold to bike for at least a month out of the school year I would say. There are bike racks right by the front doors of the law school. I know one couple that only has one car, and I think the guys wife usually just drops him off and picks him up.

APHill

Bronze

Post by APHill » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:00 pm

does anyone know of any scholarships available for top of the 1L class for 2L and 3L? (I am not planning to be top of the class, just curious)

seems like a bunch of schools give out those to top students to keep them from transferring and such.

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:25 pm

I don't think they do that here. I'd ask someone in Admissions though if you want to be sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

runawaydish

New

Post by runawaydish » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:59 pm

Padimud wrote:What is the feasibility of biking to and from school. We will have one car but my wife will probably want to take that most days, so my thought was to bike or hoof it to school depending on proximity. What is the weather like during the school year? Does it rain frequently (any estimation of how often it seems to rain would be awesome)? How much is parking at the law school? Is there a place near the law school to lock up bikes? I know juvenile, but I am trying to get as best prepared as possible. So I need to budget now if I need to buy a little commuter to run across town in. Thanks.

I went to W&M for ungrad and will be a 1L in the fall. During undergrad I never bought a parking pass and biked to campus each day. It wasn't bad. On nice days the area is really beautiful and the bike is enjoyable, however it tends to rain quite a bit in the winter (we hardly ever got snow only cold rain) Which is definietly not fun, but I was able to suffer through it without breaking and buying a parking pass for 3 years. Also on very rainy days the bus system is always a good option.

expungemalice

New

Post by expungemalice » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:33 pm

What kind of grades does one need to achieve in order to be well positioned for opportunities in BigLaw?
Also, how difficult is it to make it onto the Moot Court team?

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:36 pm

expungemalice wrote:What kind of grades does one need to achieve in order to be well positioned for opportunities in BigLaw?
Also, how difficult is it to make it onto the Moot Court team?
I'm not sure how to answer the first question. I'd say you probably need to be in the top half. But I'm of the opinion that a lot of it isn't just about grades, you need to have personality and be involved as well.

I think there were a little over 100 people who tried out for somewhere between 12 and 20 spots on Moot Court this year. Sorry I can't be more specific but I always get them confused with Trial Team, which was around the same.

Padimud

Bronze

Post by Padimud » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:11 am

Here is to another year ranked 28 and receiving a quality laywer/judge assessment score. That latter part is all I care about, that practitioners still value what W&M is producing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Padimud

Bronze

Post by Padimud » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:06 pm

Are there any parts of Williamsburg that you would recommend that a family not live? We are in the housing hunt and don't want to live somewhere where we will have to worry about our daughter all day everyday. Anywhere to avoid?

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:32 pm

Padimud wrote:Are there any parts of Williamsburg that you would recommend that a family not live? We are in the housing hunt and don't want to live somewhere where we will have to worry about our daughter all day everyday. Anywhere to avoid?
The Merrimac Trail area. Pretty much everywhere else is generally safe and there aren't any "party/college kid" areas necessarily, since most of the undergrads live on campus.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:07 am

texas08 wrote:
Padimud wrote:Are there any parts of Williamsburg that you would recommend that a family not live? We are in the housing hunt and don't want to live somewhere where we will have to worry about our daughter all day everyday. Anywhere to avoid?
The Merrimac Trail area. Pretty much everywhere else is generally safe and there aren't any "party/college kid" areas necessarily, since most of the undergrads live on campus.
So...is Merrimac Trail genuinely unsafe, or just slightly more shady? After getting lost all over Williamsburg, I certainly didn't see any areas that looked truly run-down.

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:20 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:So...is Merrimac Trail genuinely unsafe, or just slightly more shady? After getting lost all over Williamsburg, I certainly didn't see any areas that looked truly run-down.
I'd say mostly just pretty shady. I've heard some horror stories from a couple people who live over there about cops being called at all hours, mostly for domestic violence type stuff I think though, which I suppose is not genuinely unsafe in the way that murder is. I personally wouldn't even consider living over there, but I know people that do so I guess if you really just want as cheap as possible it might be a good option.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Green Crayons

Bronze

Post by Green Crayons » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:42 pm

texas08 wrote:I'd say mostly just pretty shady. I've heard some horror stories from a couple people who live over there about cops being called at all hours, mostly for domestic violence type stuff I think though, which I suppose is not genuinely unsafe in the way that murder is. I personally wouldn't even consider living over there, but I know people that do so I guess if you really just want as cheap as possible it might be a good option.
Sounds like a good precursor for anyone who wants to become a PD. A "get to know your future clientele" type of thing. ;)

Displeased

Bronze

Post by Displeased » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Its more than a little over dramatic to act like anywhere in Williamsburg is "shady" or seedy or dangerous. Williamsburg has minimal crime, and I can't think of a similarly or higher ranked law school that's in a safer city. Maybe Charlottesville, but that town is overrun with drunken UVA kids who ruin the whole atmosphere.

If you "would not even consider" living in some section of Williamsburg, I think you have impossibly high standards. I'd be more concerned about being struck by a car while crossing confusion corner then about being the victim of a crime anywhere in Williamsburg. Yea, if you have the choice out of all the locations in Williamsburg, you probably would not choose to live in Merrimac Trail. Still, even Merrimac Trail is considered a safe neighborhood by any normal standard.

Point is, Williamsburg is probably one of the safest and quietest towns in Virginia.

Having said all that, John Hinckley Jr (the guy who shot Reagen) gets out of the insane asylum for about a week a year to spend time with his mother, who lives in Williamsburg. So, aside from the legally insane Presidential assassins running about, there's absolutely no danger.

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Sun May 16, 2010 12:11 pm

tommytahoe wrote:Hey 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls. I imagine you are RIGHT now in the middle of final exams, but if you see this, do you know what W&M is like in the way of need-based aid. With such a low tuition (esp. if I can manage residency after 1L), I see why they part with less $ than other schools.
But, let's say you're a student with less than $2K in the bank, $10K debt to undergrad, earned like $8K last year while in school, and is 37 with EFC = 0.
OK, that student is me. Any idea what I can hope in the way of need-based grants? $3K a year? $%K? Nada?

Tx.
If you have an EFC of 0, as far as I know you will be granted the full amount you need, but most likely in loans. I don't actually know of anyone who got need based grants, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. You'd really be better off asking admissions who should know info like this, rather than students who most likely only know their own situation and a couple of close friends. How much financial aid and what type you are receiving just isn't common conversation ;).

Green Crayons

Bronze

Post by Green Crayons » Wed May 19, 2010 11:45 am

I believe the W&M folks that were answering questions were 1Ls this past year. Now that your first year of law school is over, how do you feel about W&M? Any indication as to how the class of 2012's first summer jobs panned out?

Thanks for the insight over the past several months. Hope your grades were favorable.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:21 am

Green Crayons wrote:I believe the W&M folks that were answering questions were 1Ls this past year. Now that your first year of law school is over, how do you feel about W&M? Any indication as to how the class of 2012's first summer jobs panned out?
All of the 1Ls that I know have jobs, though many are unpaid. I think I feel the same way about W&M that I have all year. It's a good school, the people are generally friendly and helpful. It's in a small town with not a whole lot to do, but some people might consider that a good thing, less distractions.

salyesq

New

Post by salyesq » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm in bind, choosing between William and Mary and Brooklyn with some scholarship money. Normally this would be a no-brainer, given that William and May is ranked significantly better than Brooklyn. However, I am from NY and my boyfriend is currently in medical school here in NYC. Although, it is likely that he will not get a residency in NYC. We are pretty serious and plan on getting married once we both finish school and I think being far apart could put a serious strain on our relationship. Still, William and Mary is a great school and I will certainly save money on living costs being there. Ive lived in NYC for 2 years now and BF aside, I would certainly miss leaving.

How does W&M compete in the NY job market? I know it has a great reputation in DC but is Brooklyn better for NY? (although given my situation I may not even end up living there after law school) Do you need a car in Williamsburg?

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:07 am

salyesq wrote:I'm in bind, choosing between William and Mary and Brooklyn with some scholarship money. Normally this would be a no-brainer, given that William and May is ranked significantly better than Brooklyn. However, I am from NY and my boyfriend is currently in medical school here in NYC. Although, it is likely that he will not get a residency in NYC. We are pretty serious and plan on getting married once we both finish school and I think being far apart could put a serious strain on our relationship. Still, William and Mary is a great school and I will certainly save money on living costs being there. Ive lived in NYC for 2 years now and BF aside, I would certainly miss leaving.

How does W&M compete in the NY job market? I know it has a great reputation in DC but is Brooklyn better for NY? (although given my situation I may not even end up living there after law school) Do you need a car in Williamsburg?
I can't answer about how well W&M places in NYC because I'm not aware of anyone who is/was really looking there; you should contact Career Services, they are really helpful and should have some info on that. I know lots of people who did long distance this year. I wouldn't say it's easy, but I do think that you should consider it. W&M is a much better school, which is important since you aren't sure where you will be practicing. I would imagine it has a better national placement than Brooklyn.

I know people who didn't have cars in Williamsburg but I personally wouldn't choose to not have one. If you're comfortable riding a bike to get groceries and stuff then you'd probably be ok. The weather is so moderate you can ride pretty much year round. I haven't heard great things about the public transport, though to be fair I haven't used it myself.

sdb444

New

Post by sdb444 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:23 pm

Last edited by sdb444 on Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”