Colorado 1L taking Questions!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rekopter

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby rekopter » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:56 am

BroncoHawkeye wrote:Probably the least important topic in this thread, but I was wondering if you know whether or not law students can get student season football tickets?

Of course. It's about $115-125 for all games. Open seating from ~the 40 on the East side to the South end zone. It also includes a ticket to the CSU games in Denver.

BroncoHawkeye

Postby BroncoHawkeye » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:05 pm

rekopter wrote:Of course. It's about $115-125 for all games. Open seating from ~the 40 on the East side to the South end zone. It also includes a ticket to the CSU games in Denver.

Awesome! Thanks for taking time to answer my question!

icarter

Postby icarter » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:09 pm

azsuns86 wrote:I would be visiting. I am at a similarly ranked law school, however will be spending my summers interning in Denver as my family lives in the area and I hope to practice in CO. What draws your interest in visiting at another law school? Thanks for answering everyone's questions.

Awesome! I'd contact the admissions office or Dean Jackson to find out for incoming visiting student information. I found out about the process for me to go to another school to visit today but it wouldn't apply for students coming to CU. I'm pursuing several opportunities in Washington D.C. which would require me to move out there for a few months and I'm seeing if I could stay in school at GW or American while seeing where there opportunities take me.

And of course! I'm happy to help!

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:42 pm

A couple new questions:

1) The little guide on the admitted students site mentions that some professors do not allow laptops. Call me whatever you like, but I use my laptop for EVERYTHING. I don't think I've written anything except an exam in a very, very long time. Is it possible to avoid these professors? I know we don't get to choose our 1L classes, and I was wondering if any of you guys knew if any of the 1L profs are anti-technology. It may seem inconsequential or just a small inconvenience, but if our 1L grades really are as big of a deal as everyone says, I would like to use the same study/notetaking habits that I have used throughout my entire college career. If I am going to have professors who don't let me use a PC to take notes, I may seriously consider attending another school (edit: I know that other schools have professors with this policy, and I would actively seek out a school where I could avoid anti-technology professors).

2) Does Colorado have any weird laws I need to know about? Weird gun laws (I will be bringing hunting rifles, no handguns)? Weird insurance laws (no fault insurance, etc)? Is there religious influence in the public school systems (i.e. they teach intelligent design and other crap like that)?

3) Will most of the apartment buildings be completely full during the school year even in the suburbs? The reason I ask is because I have a friend from Golden, CO, who would like to move in with me, but he is going to travel over the summer and will be coming back after I have already signed a lease. I know some apartment complexes would be okay with someone in a 1BR unit changing their lease to a 2BR unit, but I was just wondering if this would even be possible (not talking about if they would allow it, asking if apartment complexes even have any empty units during the school year). I plan on living 10-20 minutes from the school, so I will be outside of the immediate university area, but obviously not sure of anything at this point.

icarter

Postby icarter » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:54 pm

the lantern wrote:A couple new questions:

1) The little guide on the admitted students site mentions that some professors do not allow laptops. Call me whatever you like, but I use my laptop for EVERYTHING. I don't think I've written anything except an exam in a very, very long time. Is it possible to avoid these professors? I know we don't get to choose our 1L classes, and I was wondering if any of you guys knew if any of the 1L profs are anti-technology. It may seem inconsequential or just a small inconvenience, but if our 1L grades really are as big of a deal as everyone says, I would like to use the same study/notetaking habits that I have used throughout my entire college career. If I am going to have professors who don't let me use a PC to take notes, I may seriously consider attending another school.

2) Does Colorado have any weird laws I need to know about? Weird gun laws (I will be bringing hunting rifles, no handguns)? Weird insurance laws (no fault insurance, etc)? Is there religious influence in the public school systems (i.e. they teach intelligent design and other crap like that)?

3) Will most of the apartment buildings be completely full during the school year even in the suburbs? The reason I ask is because I have a friend from Golden, CO, who would like to move in with me, but he is going to travel over the summer and will be coming back after I have already signed a lease. I know some apartment complexes would be okay with someone in a 1BR unit changing their lease to a 2BR unit, but I was just wondering if this would even be possible (not talking about if they would allow it, asking if apartment complexes even have any empty units during the school year). I plan on living 10-20 minutes from the school, so I will be outside of the immediate university area, but obviously not sure of anything at this point.

1) You are VERY likely to have professors that prohibit computers at CU, as you will at almost any law school. I was like you in undergrad, took notes and used my computer for everything but was forced to do something different my first term. And to be honest, it was a welcome change and forced me to pay more attention. If this is REALLY that big of a deal for you, I would think twice about law school because I have yet to hear of a school that has a universal policy accepting laptops in all classes. I'm not trying to be mean or condescending at all but computer use is typically left to the discretion of the professor at ever school I've looked into and therefore you'll likely have classes that prohibit them.

2) Not that I know of. I have friends with hunting rifles and shotguns and they have no problem.

3) It is likely but obviously no one can guarantee that there will be vacancies. I'd contact the apartment complexes you are interested to see what their vacancies are now to get an idea of what it may be next year.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:08 pm

Posting an obligatory response about how my handwriting sucks, my hands are messed up from playing guitar and using computers since I was 10 years old and being in the military, etc. Fuck, I hoped to avoid not being able to use my PC. I guess I'll just have to be a little more open minded.

icarter

Postby icarter » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:20 pm

the lantern wrote:Posting an obligatory response about how my handwriting sucks, my hands are messed up from playing guitar and using computers since I was 10 years old and being in the military, etc. Fuck, I hoped to avoid not being able to use my PC. I guess I'll just have to be a little more open minded.

Keep in mind that you will be able to use a computer for when it really matters, ie midterms and final exams.

rekopter

Postby rekopter » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:17 pm

the lantern wrote:1) The little guide on the admitted students site mentions that some professors do not allow laptops. Call me whatever you like, but I use my laptop for EVERYTHING. I don't think I've written anything except an exam in a very, very long time. Is it possible to avoid these professors? I know we don't get to choose our 1L classes, and I was wondering if any of you guys knew if any of the 1L profs are anti-technology. It may seem inconsequential or just a small inconvenience, but if our 1L grades really are as big of a deal as everyone says, I would like to use the same study/notetaking habits that I have used throughout my entire college career. If I am going to have professors who don't let me use a PC to take notes, I may seriously consider attending another school (edit: I know that other schools have professors with this policy, and I would actively seek out a school where I could avoid anti-technology professors).

Out of 20 classes, I've had 1 where I wasn't allowed a laptop. I had the same experience iCarter had (better focus, attention, etc.)

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:30 pm

the lantern wrote:1) The little guide on the admitted students site mentions that some professors do not allow laptops. Call me whatever you like, but I use my laptop for EVERYTHING. I don't think I've written anything except an exam in a very, very long time. Is it possible to avoid these professors? I know we don't get to choose our 1L classes, and I was wondering if any of you guys knew if any of the 1L profs are anti-technology. It may seem inconsequential or just a small inconvenience, but if our 1L grades really are as big of a deal as everyone says, I would like to use the same study/notetaking habits that I have used throughout my entire college career. If I am going to have professors who don't let me use a PC to take notes, I may seriously consider attending another school (edit: I know that other schools have professors with this policy, and I would actively seek out a school where I could avoid anti-technology professors).

I don't suspect law school lectures require one to be frantically typing every word spoken, so I don't think you will be hindered too much by having to write (even if it is slower). After class you can just transfer notes to your laptop, which I can't imagine takes too long.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:35 pm

I don't frantically type every word spoken. I just like using what I've used the last 5 years. I don't like writing by hand, and I don't like transcribing notes. It is ridiculous that they ask you to pay them 35k a year and then they tell you you can't use a computer to take notes, you have to write by hand. I make very organized and logical notes and insert flowcharts and such on the fly. I also use the internet to cut/paste supplemental knowledge into my notes on a sidebar. Taking notes on a laptop is so much more efficient, so much more organized, etc. This isn't just a preference thing. I am (going to) pay a shitload of money to LEARN, and I would like to use the tools I prefer to LEARN.

edit: as you can tell, i absolutely HATE (i don't really hate many things at all) rules that are rules just because someone says so. THe only good reasons I can see for disallowing laptops are for the clicking sound computers make and because people do stupid things like facebook and stuff. Well, my PC is very quiet and I am not going to screw to mess around. Being in the military gave me a new appreciation for rules that are rules just because someone said so. I have since decided that in my civilian life I do not want to be subject to this kind of treatment. Idk, it isn't a big deal, it just bothers me that I can't do what will help me the best because of a dumb reason. I am also bothered by the fact that we are going to pay these professors massive salaries and then they have the nerve to tell us what tools we can use to best absorb all the "knowledge" we are paying for.

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:37 am

I'll try not to repeat much.

the lantern wrote:2) Does Colorado have any weird laws I need to know about? Weird gun laws (I will be bringing hunting rifles, no handguns)? Weird insurance laws (no fault insurance, etc)? Is there religious influence in the public school systems (i.e. they teach intelligent design and other crap like that)?

All guns are totally cool; no registration or anything. If you wanted to bring a handgun, your military discharge papers (or duty papers if you're reserve or something) would exempt you from having to take a class to get your concealed carry permit (still have to file the paperwork and fee, but no class).

CO repealed its no-fault insurance laws in 2003, and I'm not aware of any other strange requirements.

Outside of Boulder, you might find some religious influence in the schools (especially the farther south and east you go in the state). You're not likely to find any of that in liberal Boulder, however. The Boulder Valley School District typically ranks up with the Cherry Creek School District as being the best performing public school districts in the state (drawing your boundaries specifically to exclude large minority populations can do that for you).

the lantern wrote:3) Will most of the apartment buildings be completely full during the school year even in the suburbs? The reason I ask is because I have a friend from Golden, CO, who would like to move in with me, but he is going to travel over the summer and will be coming back after I have already signed a lease. I know some apartment complexes would be okay with someone in a 1BR unit changing their lease to a 2BR unit, but I was just wondering if this would even be possible (not talking about if they would allow it, asking if apartment complexes even have any empty units during the school year). I plan on living 10-20 minutes from the school, so I will be outside of the immediate university area, but obviously not sure of anything at this point.

Once you get outside of Boulder, the apartment complexes are less dominated by students. Therefore, you'll probably have no real problem finding a place after September 15th or so.

I mean, the various phases of the Horizons at Rock Creek complex in Superior add up to over 2,000 apartments; with that many tenants, I'd be somewhat astounded if they ever had 100% occupancy. The Peter Cooper Village, these places are not (11,250 unit complex in Manhattan), but there are some very large Superior/Interlocken complexes that will have vacancies year-round (plus, it's probably easier and quicker to get to Golden from Superior - 128 to 93 South - than from the center of Boulder). Boulder fills up completely; the surrounding area generally doesn't.

I wouldn't really want to bet that too many complexes around here will be particularly excited to move you from a 1br to a 2br, but I don't know.

the lantern wrote:THe only good reasons I can see for disallowing laptops are for the clicking sound computers make and because people do stupid things like facebook and stuff. Well, my PC is very quiet and I am not going to screw to mess around.

I've had 20 classes (with 15 professors) and I've yet to be have a prof ban computers. You might keep in mind that it's a possibility that you'll get one of the couple profs here who ban laptops 1L year (you can easily avoid them after that), but I'd argue that icarter is probably overstating it by asserting that you're "VERY likely" to face a ban at some point. Virtually no profs here care if you use your laptop.

That said, the profs who have problems with laptops cite typing when nobody should be taking notes as a big reason why they have an issue with them. This is a bit of a combo of your two valid reasons - people are typing loudly, and they're typing at odd times because they're facebook-chatting with everybody else in the classroom (or using chat roulette, or playing flash games, or managing a fantasy baseball team, etc.). It may not be a majority of any given law school class fucking off at any given time, but it's a pretty solid percentage.

It's possible that you could be typing quietly and staying on task, but it's similarly possible that you'd be the only one doing so (especially after the first semester). ;)

-Pufer

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:11 am

Yeah I understand where they are coming from. Since I use a laptop in undergrad (and most people in my classes don't), I am somehow in this "laptop club" with other laptop users where they think we are automatic friends and they ask for my facebook and stuff and they always bug me about things during class that aren't about the class. The only advantage to this annoyance is that sometimes they are hot girls :) Regardless of all the whining I just did, it is more an annoyance that I don't want to have to deal with, but the more I think about it, I'm probably going to run into this at any school, and trying to avoid it altogether is pointless. Might as well accept reality for what it is I suppose. I'll be in town next week, looking forward to seeing the campus/area (never been anywhere out west outside of the greater LA area, northern CA mountains, and Vegas, so it will be wonderful to see the place I will likely be calling home :)

icarter

Postby icarter » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:13 pm

Just wanted to renew the offer to meet anyone visiting Boulder/ CU for a beer or coffee and answer any additional questions you may have!

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:54 pm

I'll be in town Thursday through Saturday. I have friends in the area who have already planned out my weekend for me, but I may take you up on that offer. At the least, I will see you at the admitted students reception :)

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:48 pm

Any currents students doing their degree in 2.5 years? If so, what's that like and is it worth it?

icarter

Postby icarter » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:06 pm

rockthelaw wrote:Any currents students doing their degree in 2.5 years? If so, what's that like and is it worth it?

I just found out about it and am very tempted although I am a 1L so haven't had the experience of taking such a large # of credits yet.

ReaganRocket

Postby ReaganRocket » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks to all the students at UC for answering questions. As a potential student who has never visited Boulder I find it helpful.

I had a couple questions:

(1) What are the family housing like? They seem like a good option but I'm wondering if they are nice or if any law students live there.

(2) How is that new Wolf Law Building? Looks amazing in pictures.

Thanks again.

icarter

Postby icarter » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:22 pm

ReaganRocket wrote:Thanks to all the students at UC for answering questions. As a potential student who has never visited Boulder I find it helpful.

I had a couple questions:

(1) What are the family housing like? They seem like a good option but I'm wondering if they are nice or if any law students live there.

(2) How is that new Wolf Law Building? Looks amazing in pictures.

Thanks again.

I can't address the University Family housing option but I did look at the University housing. I decided against it because the cost was higher than many other apartments and housing options with less privacy. Someone else can probably give more detailed and accurate information about the university housing option.

The law school is quite nice and new. Its functional and comfortable but not overly elaborate in my opinion. That said, it really is a great building and the pictures probably say more than I can.

KmissP

Postby KmissP » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:52 pm

I've been in a couple of the different family housing units/complexes visiting friends: Faculty court and Smiley Court. Faculty court was a little nicer and in a better location. They are okay. Kind of industrial brick and very compact (their floor plans for Marine Court say a 2 bedroom is 760 ft2). Probably something comparable would cost between $900-1100 for a 2 bedroom, at least for the places I was in. Both are close to campus. I don't know anything about law students there. You should be able to find more info on the CU's website: http://housing.colorado.edu/fh/

Edit to add info.

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:43 am

I don't think I know of any law students who have lived in student housing. I've been to a couple places in Smiley Court, and agree with KmissP's assessment. They're basic mass domiciles.

The price is not unreasonable given that utilities and internet are provided, but it would be a better deal if the places had A/C or dishwashers. I probably wouldn't choose to live there because of the aforementioned lack of A/C & dishwashers, the prohibition on setting up a wireless internet connection, and the various restrictions on noise (stuff like you can't vacuum your place during nap time: 1-3 PM) and weapons (really want to be searching your friends to make sure they don't have a big pocket knife or something before they come over?). Also don't care much for the prison-chic interior decor.

-Pufer

KmissP

Postby KmissP » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:08 am

The Staff place I was in was painted in a bunch of different bright colors, even the cement floor, so it was very Martha Stewart prison chic.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:34 am

Can anyone speak to the process of gaining in-state status after the first year of school?

rekopter

Postby rekopter » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:57 am

rockthelaw wrote:Can anyone speak to the process of gaining in-state status after the first year of school?

It's very easy. Virtually everyone who wants it gets it. YOu'll need to register your car in CO (if you have one), register to vote, get a drivers license, etc.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:01 pm

The CU Law website says rent, utilities, and food comes to about $8,500/year. Is this accurate? I was under the assumption COL was a bit higher than average in Boulder.

rekopter

Postby rekopter » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:08 pm

traehekat wrote:The CU Law website says rent, utilities, and food comes to about $8,500/year. Is this accurate? I was under the assumption COL was a bit higher than average in Boulder.

I don't think anyone spends $8500 or less on rent, utilities, and food. I think most folks end up spending 9-10k on rent and utilities alone. Though you can definitely get by on less if you live with others.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”