Colorado 1L taking Questions!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
KmissP
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby KmissP » Sat May 15, 2010 6:36 pm

Sweet, thanks.
Sounds worthwhile, though, eh?

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby Matthies » Sat May 15, 2010 6:47 pm

KmissP wrote:Sweet, thanks.
Sounds worthwhile, though, eh?


It's well worth it, I've never actually applied for any of the legal jobs I've had, all have come from referrals from Inn members or being directly hired by an Inn member.

User avatar
adora
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby adora » Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 pm

Pufer wrote:
adora wrote:What's the scoop on Nederland? Seems like a cool little town. Any students live there? How's the commute?


As far as I'm aware, there are two law students living in Ned. If you're at all worried about being off the beaten path and falling out of touch with the law student community, Ned shouldn't be anywhere on your list of places to look at.

The commute is really the story with Ned. Heading out of Boulder, as soon as you hit the canyon, you hit the gas in your car and you keep it going for around 35 minutes winding back and forth almost up a very picturesque canyon. There's around 3000 feet of elevation gain between Boulder and Ned (which is more elevation gain than exists in 16 states). On the way back, as soon as you get around the lake, you can pretty much just give up on the gas and ride your brakes all the way back down - around 25 minutes.

While the commute is probably okay for 2Ls or 3Ls who can set up their schedule so they can get to campus later in the day, 1Ls have to be on campus at 9 AM for their first class. When it snows, it's often a bit of a shitshow having to get across Boulder for a 9:00 class, much less driving down a winding canyon pass from 3000 feet higher (they don't cancel school at CU Law).

You'll [strike]probably want[/strike] all but require all-wheel drive and studded snow tires to make the morning commute in the snow, and - even so equipped - the two law students who live up there got to be good friends with a guy down the street with a tractor, who they got to drag their vehicles out of their driveway a few times this last winter.

There's also the bit where Nederland gets three inches of snow on May 6th, and has a couple more snowstorms in the forecast for the coming week. You might want to keep your snow tires on until June.

In short, I think you'd be somewhat crazy to be living in Ned during 1L year in that you'll be insulated from the rest of the law school community and will have to deal with one hell of a commute when it snows (not to mention, you'll be thrashing the hell out of your car even when it doesn't snow).

There is a bus (RTD Route N), but it's not frequent enough to really be that solid an option, and you'd require a couple not-insubstantial walks and a bus transfer to get to the law school; probably about an hour commute using public transport.

-Pufer


Pufer, I meant to say a long time ago: THANK YOU so much for your input. Seriously. I really appreciate that you take the time to answer thoughtfully to questions like this...so much. Knowing this saved us a lot of time on our visit last week to find a place.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby kn6542 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:35 pm

Pufer wrote:
adora wrote:What's the scoop on Nederland? Seems like a cool little town. Any students live there? How's the commute?

ride your brakes all the way back down - around 25 minutes.

-Pufer



Unless you enjoy replacing your brakes every year or are trying to off yourself, I would suggest engine braking.

User avatar
doza
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby doza » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:03 pm

Hey guys! I can't believe school starts in about 2 months! I'm getting excited!

Quick question - I'm about to buy a new laptop for school. Thinking of getting a Macbook. Do a lot of current CU students have Macs? Any major issues? I've heard it's really not a problem, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

User avatar
icarter
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:44 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby icarter » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:19 pm

doza wrote:Hey guys! I can't believe school starts in about 2 months! I'm getting excited!

Quick question - I'm about to buy a new laptop for school. Thinking of getting a Macbook. Do a lot of current CU students have Macs? Any major issues? I've heard it's really not a problem, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!


Hi there! This is what I wrote to another 1L about Macs


In any given class, I would estimate that there is a rough 50/50 split between macs and PCs. The only time that having a Mac would be a potential problem would be during exams. In fact, several of my 'Mac' friends bought netbooks to take exams on as a solution to the problem. If you have a Mac, you 'can' run the exam software but would need to have bootcamp software so you can load the computer in the Windows operating system. If you don't already have it, it costs around 100-200 from what I've been told. While far from impossible, it is a bit inconvenient and my strongest advice would be, if you buy a Mac, get it loaded with bootcamp at the beginning of the year instead of waiting to finals. I had some very stressed out friends who waiting till a week or two before finals and didn't know how to run the programs.

User avatar
doza
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby doza » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:54 pm

icarter wrote:
doza wrote:Hey guys! I can't believe school starts in about 2 months! I'm getting excited!

Quick question - I'm about to buy a new laptop for school. Thinking of getting a Macbook. Do a lot of current CU students have Macs? Any major issues? I've heard it's really not a problem, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!


Hi there! This is what I wrote to another 1L about Macs


In any given class, I would estimate that there is a rough 50/50 split between macs and PCs. The only time that having a Mac would be a potential problem would be during exams. In fact, several of my 'Mac' friends bought netbooks to take exams on as a solution to the problem. If you have a Mac, you 'can' run the exam software but would need to have bootcamp software so you can load the computer in the Windows operating system. If you don't already have it, it costs around 100-200 from what I've been told. While far from impossible, it is a bit inconvenient and my strongest advice would be, if you buy a Mac, get it loaded with bootcamp at the beginning of the year instead of waiting to finals. I had some very stressed out friends who waiting till a week or two before finals and didn't know how to run the programs.


Ok, great! Thanks so much for the advice!

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby shock259 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:21 pm

I know it has already been discussed a little bit, but I'm still trying to figure out what the legal market is like in the Denver area.

I'm guessing that CU Boulder grads have the distinct advantage in the small market, but I'm not quite sure how to confirm this suspicion. Can Denver really compete with Boulder? I'm also guessing that there is relatively few top tier school grads that come to Denver, meaning the competition would primarily be between CU and DU grads.

Random other question concerning admissions: I'm an in-state resident with a 3.42 and a 165. I applied last cycle with a 161 and was rejected. Provided I don't botch my app/personal statement and apply first thing in the fall, I'm near a dead lock right?

rekopter
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:10 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby rekopter » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:24 pm

shock259 wrote:I know it has already been discussed a little bit, but I'm still trying to figure out what the legal market is like in the Denver area.

I'm guessing that CU Boulder grads have the distinct advantage in the small market, but I'm not quite sure how to confirm this suspicion. Can Denver really compete with Boulder? I'm also guessing that there is relatively few top tier school grads that come to Denver, meaning the competition would primarily be between CU and DU grads.


Both DU and CU do well in the Denver market, but the gap between them isn't as large as you would think. This year in particular saw a lot more folks from top-tier schools flock to Denver for summer jobs and clerkships--this competition is real.

Random other question concerning admissions: I'm an in-state resident with a 3.42 and a 165. I applied last cycle with a 161 and was rejected. Provided I don't botch my app/personal statement and apply first thing in the fall, I'm near a dead lock right?


There's no such thing as a dead lock at CU. Anything can happen, and CU looks beyond the numbers more than other schools. Also keep in mind that there's no preference for CO residents.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby shock259 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:28 pm

Thanks.

Is there a way to search NALP to get an idea of how many midlaw/biglaw firms there are in the Denver area and how many associates from CU/DU/etc? I'm sort of new to it still.

yellowfin
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby yellowfin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:58 pm

rekopter wrote:keep in mind that there's no preference for CO residents.

The admissions office told me that roughly 50% of the class is Colorado residents. They like to keep it about there, but they do not have a quote for Colorado residents. Admissions told me that a few years back they were admitting more non-residents than CO residents. I have no idea how long ago this was or what the percentage breakdown was. Apparently the CO legislature wasn't too happy about it, so CU Law started letting in more CO residents to appease the legislature. About 50% CO residents is the unwritten rule, or so I was told.

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby Pufer » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:11 pm

shock259 wrote:Is there a way to search NALP to get an idea of how many midlaw/biglaw firms there are in the Denver area and how many associates from CU/DU/etc? I'm sort of new to it still.


NALP is pretty useless in secondary markets.

yellowfin wrote:
rekopter wrote:keep in mind that there's no preference for CO residents.

The admissions office told me that roughly 50% of the class is Colorado residents. They like to keep it about there, but they do not have a quote for Colorado residents. Admissions told me that a few years back they were admitting more non-residents than CO residents. I have no idea how long ago this was or what the percentage breakdown was. Apparently the CO legislature wasn't too happy about it, so CU Law started letting in more CO residents to appease the legislature. About 50% CO residents is the unwritten rule, or so I was told.


There definitely is a preference for CO residents, but it's not a formal one (and I'd always heard it pegged around 33%, not 50%). The company line is that there is no preference.

The preference-whatever the amount-has very little to do with the legislature, however. CU Law basically stopped listening to the legislature once it decided that it would rather us lose accreditation than put any money into building the new law building, and then cut back funding to like 3% of the law school's operating budget. If any pressure was being applied, it was probably from the powers-that-be on main campus ("the legislature" is often code for "a power outside the law school"). The CU system as a whole is under a strict quota by statute, and I imagine main campus wants CU Law to play its part.

-Pufer

yellowfin
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby yellowfin » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:45 pm

From the Facts & Figures website (LinkRemoved) on the CU Law website.

Entering Class Profile (Class of 2012) wrote:166 Entering Class Size
23% Acceptance Rate
163 Median LSAT Score
3.68 Cumulative GPA Median
52% Women
29% Racially/Ethnically Diverse
24 Median Age (Range 20-48)
17 Graduate Degrees
29 States Represented
51% Colorado Residents
94 Undergraduate Schools Represented

User avatar
adora
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby adora » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:48 pm

How is CU's computer help center?

At my undergrad, they have free service for all students...is that the case at CU for law students?

The left clicker on my laptop mouse pad isn't working and I'd like to get it fixed...trying to figure out whether I should do it now or wait.

martin024
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby martin024 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:11 pm

Does anyone have a list of the 1L textbooks we'll be using? I don't know if that info is available yet through the online handbook thingy, but it would be great to know in order to save some money not getting them from the bookstore...Thanks!

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby Pufer » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:40 am

adora wrote:How is CU's computer help center?

At my undergrad, they have free service for all students...is that the case at CU for law students?

The left clicker on my laptop mouse pad isn't working and I'd like to get it fixed...trying to figure out whether I should do it now or wait.


Unless it's fallen victim to budget cuts, CU Law has its own dedicated tech support office in the law building. Wouldn't want to bet that they'll fix anything that's physically wrong with your machine for free, though. I've never used them, so I wouldn't really know, however.

martin024 wrote:Does anyone have a list of the 1L textbooks we'll be using? I don't know if that info is available yet through the online handbook thingy, but it would be great to know in order to save some money not getting them from the bookstore...Thanks!


Go to the bookstore's webpage (noting that CU Law doesn't use the CU bookstore, but, rather, the one on the hill) and search for your classes. You could also wait until they're posted on the individual course pages on the CU Law website (which is what I usually do).

I get all my textbooks online too, but am not likely to even start thinking about ordering them until it's at least August.

-Pufer

martin024
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby martin024 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:52 pm

Thanks a lot. Yeah, I don't want to even think about it, but someone offered to try to round them all up for me for free before I move out there, so I'm just trying to take advantage of that.

Cheers

User avatar
adora
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby adora » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:57 pm

So...I assume student loan refunds are generally disbursed after you buy textbooks?

Also, how do prices at the on-campus used book sales compare to Amazon, etc?

What about highlighting in used books? Many law school books on half.com are advertised with extensive highlighting. Is that distracting? Or does it help?

And how much reading are you generally expected to have done for the first day of class (how long does it take)? And when will we find out what the assignments are?

User avatar
icarter
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:44 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby icarter » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:15 pm

adora wrote:So...I assume student loan refunds are generally disbursed after you buy textbooks?

Also, how do prices at the on-campus used book sales compare to Amazon, etc?

What about highlighting in used books? Many law school books on half.com are advertised with extensive highlighting. Is that distracting? Or does it help?

And how much reading are you generally expected to have done for the first day of class (how long does it take)? And when will we find out what the assignments are?


I honestly can't remember about the loan disbursement timeline but it was very close to the first day of class. I bought all my books new, either through Amazon or Barnes & Noble (prices were better for some books at 1 vs the other), however you can get used and slightly used books at the bookstore on the hill and through the Women's Law Caucus (if you do WLC, get the books EARLY and you'll usually have a good selection for a good price; but the people who got the best deals did so during orientation).

First day of class, I think I might have had 2 hours total of reading, but it really depends on your professors. Last year, the syllubi were passed out during Orientation I think.

User avatar
KmissP
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby KmissP » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:27 pm

HAHAHAHA! I just saw the Orientation schedule! DORK HOUSE! Thanks 2Ls!

User avatar
icarter
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:44 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby icarter » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:37 pm

KmissP wrote:HAHAHAHA! I just saw the Orientation schedule! DORK HOUSE! Thanks 2Ls!


Dork House?

User avatar
KmissP
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby KmissP » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:56 pm

The Dark Horse! Dork House is my pet name for it, given with love and admiration, of course. Delicious burgers. They also serve rocky mountain oysters.

User avatar
icarter
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:44 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby icarter » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:09 pm

KmissP wrote:The Dark Horse! Dork House is my pet name for it, given with love and admiration, of course. Delicious burgers. They also serve rocky mountain oysters.


OOO yes... Dark Horse... many many nights I'd rather not remember there :)

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby Pufer » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:01 am

adora wrote:So...I assume student loan refunds are generally disbursed after you buy textbooks?


Yup. Especially if you're ordering them online.

adora wrote:Also, how do prices at the on-campus used book sales compare to Amazon, etc?


WLC is probably better than online. Bookstore is probably more expensive than online. Bonus for both is that you actually get to see the condition of the book, which you can't online.

If you want to hit up the WLC book sale, as icarter alluded to, you want to hit it early at orientation. Figure out what day the sale is on and flee whatever they're having you do just prior to it 15 minutes early. Stuff goes fast.

adora wrote:What about highlighting in used books? Many law school books on half.com are advertised with extensive highlighting. Is that distracting? Or does it help?


Question is how much highlighting is "extensive." There are folks who will highlight literally every word of a case in like six colors and completely fill the margins with notes. Type of deal that even they wouldn't buy their own used book (at the WLC sale, most such books are like $20).

A used book can help if the previous owners take notes the same way you do. I underline important shit in pencil and take sparse notes in the margins. My used Property book 1L year had been owned by someone who did the exact same thing; so much so that I often relied on their margin notes instead of writing my own, which was nice. I don't highlight, however, so I find it pretty distracting. It mostly depends on you.

adora wrote:And how much reading are you generally expected to have done for the first day of class (how long does it take)? And when will we find out what the assignments are?


Depends on what you mean by first day of class. I would suggest that you blow off any legal writing reading (except any handouts) for the first day of orientation, and forever. First actual day of class, I think I had a standard reading load for all of my classes, which would've been around 20-pages-per. By the end of the first semester, that was still most of an afternoon's worth of reading; I imagine it was a fair bit more at the time.

Like icarter said, though, it will depend on the professor. That said, you can bet that Schwartz will start his Contracts class off by coming in, taking off his jacket, and saying, without preamble, "Ms. <random person>, could you tell us the facts of Hawkins v. McGee."

You'll find out the assignments either on the class pages on the website, or by getting the syllabus off of TWEN during orientation week (which is when you'll get access to TWEN).

icarter wrote:
KmissP wrote:The Dark Horse! Dork House is my pet name for it, given with love and admiration, of course. Delicious burgers. They also serve rocky mountain oysters.


OOO yes... Dark Horse... many many nights I'd rather not remember there :)


I think it's a law of nature that you can't go to the Dark Horse and not find at least one law student doing something ill-advised. ;)

-Pufer

mapes
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby mapes » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:26 pm

In regards to employment, how tough is it to secure a job/summer job with firms like HRO and Holland and Hart? Can it be done, and how do grades vs. networking and connections pan out in importance?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests