Colorado 1L taking Questions!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
icarter

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby icarter » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:24 pm

englishfire3 wrote:Alright no offense to anyone, but this feud is starting to piss me off. Let's move on from this stupid Whole Foods debate and actually talk about potentially going to Colorado as a 1L. To be honest, that's all I really care about. I don't want to keep reading about bickering back and forth. Sorry but I think it's time to let it go. I don't mean to be rude, I just think we can talk about something constructive from now on.

Once again, I agree. And I'd be happy to answer any questions you or any other potential student my have

KmissP

Postby KmissP » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:18 am

Awesomely and thankfully, we have classmates like Pufer and icarter to look forward to.

englishfire3

Postby englishfire3 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:35 am

About the workload...do you always feel like you're bogged down with work to do and readings to finish? Is there any time to have even a little bit of fun? I'm interested in law school but at the same time I don't want to be a slave for 3 years without having any social interaction.

What about the professors? Do they engage the class and keep them interested? Have you had a professor that you didn't like? If so, why didn't you like them?

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:53 pm

englishfire3 wrote:About the workload...do you always feel like you're bogged down with work to do and readings to finish? Is there any time to have even a little bit of fun? I'm interested in law school but at the same time I don't want to be a slave for 3 years without having any social interaction.

1L year, I treated school like a 9-5 job - showed up every weekday at 9, worked and went to class, then was gone by 5 (unless there was beer on campus that would keep me after 5). I didn't take anything home at all except legal writing assignments. My evenings and weekends were completely clear.

This year, I show up four days a week, no earlier than 10:30, and book it right after my last class of the day (again, unless there's beer). As many weekends that were ruined by legal writing last year have been ruined this year by law review.

Everybody can pretty much stay on top of the reading and the work so long as they make a point to actually do it. So long as you're not gunning for #1 in your class or something, you'll have plenty of time to just hang out. Even the busiest among us can still probably find the time to go out two or three nights a week.

englishfire3 wrote:What about the professors? Do they engage the class and keep them interested? Have you had a professor that you didn't like? If so, why didn't you like them?

It sorta' depends on the professor and what teaching style keeps you engaged. If you find socratic-style grilling of folks to be engrossing, there are some profs who you'll love. If you think that's boring as shit, you'll hate those profs. If you prefer touchy-feely discussion classes, you can find those too. In this, law school is a lot like any other school, just with the addition of hardcore socratic method in a minority of classes.

Some of the best professors I've ever had have been here at CU, but at least one of the worst professors I've ever had has been here too. Basically, the bad professor failed to ever apply pure theory to reality, never managed to respond to any student question with any kind of cogent answer, was unimaginably dull in class (the only class I've ever managed to fall asleep in), and gave a typing-speed contest for a final. The prof apparently produces some great scholarly work, but is a dreadful teacher (in my opinion; I know some folks who are big fans).

In any event, the good-to-excellent profs vastly outnumber the poor ones.

-Pufer

englishfire3

Postby englishfire3 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:25 pm

How are the prospects of landing an internship over the summers? Are all the law students duking it out for spots at law firms? Also, how easy is it to get a scholarship of any kind at CU? Do they base it off GPA and/or LSAT score? What does one have to do to get a scholarship? (besides apply of course..)

On another note, do you even think it's a good idea to go to law school now or in a year (since that's the earliest I could apply). I ask because I'm very nervous with the economy being so crappy. And I don't want to be stuck with no job offer and be in debt at the same time. What are the job prospects for the legal field as a whole? I think the main reason why I've been hesitating and thinking twice about going to law school is because of this. I just accepted a job offer about an hour and a half ago from the internship I've had for about 2 years now. I know my parents are pleased that I've got a job lined up, and I fear that if I tell them about law school they will say "what the f**k are you thinking?!" I would hate to walk away from a job with benefits to something that is not even certain. I could really use some feedback on this one..

icarter

Postby icarter » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:36 pm

englishfire3 wrote:How are the prospects of landing an internship over the summers? Are all the law students duking it out for spots at law firms?

On another note, do you even think it's a good idea to go to law school now or in a year (since that's the earliest I could apply). I ask because I'm very nervous with the economy being so crappy. And I don't want to be stuck with no job offer and be in debt at the same time. What are the job prospects for the legal field as a whole? I think the main reason why I've been hesitating and thinking twice about going to law school is because of this. I just accepted a job offer about an hour and a half ago from the internship I've had for about 2 years now. I know my parents are pleased that I've got a job lined up, and I fear that if I tell them about law school they will say "what the f**k are you thinking?!" I would hate to walk away from a job with benefits to something that is not even certain. I could really use some feedback on this one..

As for your 1st question, (and understand I am approaching this from the perspective of a 1L) there is definite competition for law firm internships because it is the "typical" route and a number of them are paid. That being said, I got my hands on 2 firm offers by playing my strengths (networking) and focusing on my interests. Of all the students in my 1L class, I think that a rough estimate of 80% have internships lined up, probably 5-10% are studying aboard or taking classes and the other 5-10% are still looking. There are still positions available and more opening up so these students still have a shot.

As for attending law school now... I have been fighting an internal battle to decide whether to stay with it or not. I honestly believe that if you put in the work (both in the classroom and networking), you'll find a job. It might not pay 160k or 100k though. There is never a certainty or guarantee for jobs and I have no way of knowing what the market will be in 1,2,3,4 years from now. I do believe that if I want a law job, i'll get one and that will not be determined based on my grades. I happen to love networking and have built up a strong network of lawyers, judges, business leaders and community leaders who have supported me and offered career advice already. IF you decide to go to law school, the #1 thing I can say is put yourself out there and go meet lawyers in the field. Very few, (shocking) students go to bar association events and happy hours which is where you really get to know the people who will hire you or help you get a job later down the road.

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:36 pm

Just to temper what icarter is saying there a bit, if you're thinking of an internship as being any job, with anybody, for any amount of time, without pay, it's possible that the 1L class is 80% employed for the summer.

If, however, you're thinking of a full-time, paid legal summer internship when you're asking about internship opportunities, there aren't any such opportunities in existence (well, there are, but there are very few of them in this economic climate, and certainly not very many for non-diverse 1Ls).

I'd guess that the most typical summer job this year is one where you're working 20-30 hours per week at a non-firm law job. Further, not only are you not getting paid, you're likely paying the school for the privilege of being able to work for free.

Don't get me wrong, it's still resume fodder and practical experience, but ain't nobody going to be paying next year's tuition with all the money they make this summer (hell, most folks will be lucky if they can pay this summer's rent with the money they make this summer).

Regarding the question about scholarship money, all you have to do is apply for admittance. They automatically consider you for scholarships based on a holistic examination of your file (which is code for, LSAT and GPA pretty much settle it, but you might still get some $$$ if something else about you is awesome). I have no idea how freely they've been tossing money around this year, but they're usually pretty generous.

-Pufer

icarter

Postby icarter » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:47 pm

Pufer wrote:Just to temper what icarter is saying there a bit, if you're thinking of an internship as being any job, with anybody, for any amount of time, without pay, it's possible that the 1L class is 80% employed for the summer.

If, however, you're thinking of a full-time, paid legal summer internship when you're asking about internship opportunities, there aren't any such opportunities in existence (well, there are, but there are very few of them in this economic climate, and certainly not very many for non-diverse 1Ls).

I'd guess that the most typical summer job this year is one where you're working 20-30 hours per week at a non-firm law job. Further, not only are you not getting paid, you're likely paying the school for the privilege of being able to work for free.

Don't get me wrong, it's still resume fodder and practical experience, but ain't nobody going to be paying next year's tuition with all the money they make this summer (hell, most folks will be lucky if they can pay this summer's rent with the money they make this summer).

Regarding the question about scholarship money, all you have to do is apply for admittance. They automatically consider you for scholarships based on a holistic examination of your file (which is code for, LSAT and GPA pretty much settle it, but you might still get some $$$ if something else about you is awesome). I have no idea how freely they've been tossing money around this year, but they're usually pretty generous.

-Pufer

Agreed again. The 80% figure I estimated was inclusive of all internships, mostly not paid. Interestingly enough, (or maybe not) I don't know any 'non' diverse 1L student who got a "prestigious" highly paid internship for the summer. My internship offered to pay but it wasn't much and I was very lucky.

englishfire3

Postby englishfire3 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:00 am

Do all the law students have papers to write as your final grade or do you take tests as your final grade?

icarter

Postby icarter » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:28 am

englishfire3 wrote:Do all the law students have papers to write as your final grade or do you take tests as your final grade?

A final exam counted for 90+% of my grade in all but my legal writing class which is based on a memo/brief and argument. Most of the classes I took had a small participation grade of 5-10% and the rest was dependant on a final exam.

adora

Postby adora » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:20 pm

Pufer wrote:Just to temper what icarter is saying there a bit, if you're thinking of an internship as being any job, with anybody, for any amount of time, without pay, it's possible that the 1L class is 80% employed for the summer.

-Pufer

This is only based on my experience, but I think CO takes a much more holistic (or random?) approach than other schools when awarding scholarships (and admittance)...I was shocked to get in with my numbers. I had gotten flat out rejected from similarly ranked schools. Then they gave me a decent scholarship. Though my softs are pretty decent, they're nothing spectacular.

zinnia

Postby zinnia » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:48 pm

I've been following the thread and want to thank everyone for all the information on it. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer:

How essential is having a car in Boulder? I know the bus system is great but is having a car still necessary/useful?

I know housing has already been discussed on this message board and another tls message board and it seems like there are a lot of different choices of where to live - downtown/pearl st, south boulder (larger apt. complexes with more amenities,) west boulder (close to the mountains,) etc. Do law students tend to concentrate in any of these areas? If I'm not going to have a car but still want to be able to easily hang out with out law school students is there are particular area that would be best to live in?

Thanks again for all the info on this message board!

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:03 am

zinnia wrote:How essential is having a car in Boulder? I know the bus system is great but is having a car still necessary/useful?

Sorta' depends on what you plan on doing. If you expect to just stay in central Boulder all year, maybe with the occasional jaunt down to downtown Denver, you won't need a car, but it's pretty useful to have access to a car if you ever want to do anything other than go between your house, campus, and downtown Boulder/Denver.

If I actually lived in Boulder (note that if you don't live in either Boulder or downtown Denver, you almost certainly will need a car), I might do what one of my friends did during 1L year. He brought his car with him from out of state, but then basically left it parked out in front of his apartment most of the time. 90% of the time he was able to either bum a ride or catch a bus, but when he needed it, his car was there. He made it through almost the entire spring semester of 1L year on a single tank of gas, yet was never necessarily beholden to bus schedules, nor limited to the range of his bike.

While there's a bus to Eldora, if you plan on skiing anywhere else (or camping, or just driving around in the mountains) and don't have a car, you better hope that someone in your crew has a ride, and is keen on her car being the transportation for all you bums yet again. ;)

In short, having a car isn't necessary in Boulder, but it is extremely useful.

zinnia wrote:I know housing has already been discussed on this message board and another tls message board and it seems like there are a lot of different choices of where to live - downtown/pearl st, south boulder (larger apt. complexes with more amenities,) west boulder (close to the mountains,) etc. Do law students tend to concentrate in any of these areas? If I'm not going to have a car but still want to be able to easily hang out with out law school students is there are particular area that would be best to live in?

All those areas you've mentioned are within plausible—albeit not especially reasonable, IMHO—walking distance from one another, and are certainly within easy biking distance. Boulder isn't particularly big.

That said, the only place that law students will reliably congregate is the law school. A very large amount of the socializing consists of folks running into one another in the law school and deciding to go to someone's house, or to a bar on Pearl, or whatever.

There's a pretty high concentration of law students in the area directly east of campus (between Baseline and Colorado, eastward to 30th), but everybody else is pretty diffusely dispersed around the town (maybe with a bias towards the southern and eastern quadrants of Boulder over the west or certainly the north) and surrounding area, and I don't get the impression that the folks in said area east of campus are hanging out together at any higher a rate than any of the rest of us are.

-Pufer

doublefistermilehigh

Postby doublefistermilehigh » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:01 pm

kn6542 wrote:I'm not entirely sure what you're on about up there. There are good places all over town, just like there are bad places. It doesn't sound like you have the ability to discern the difference, which might be why you've somehow managed to look like Zach Galifinakis at the age of 25.

In any case the fact that I wouldn't remember that I was chatting to YOU on that particular occasion suggests I don't really have you as a fixed idea in my head. You seem a little obsessed with your own opinions about these things. People do have other preferences. I think if I were reading this thread and srsly considering attending your school, I'd want to know different options from *different people*. I'm pretty sure ppl can ignore what they don't want to hear about. Since I'm an actual adult who eats real food, lived in town for 20 yrs, I think i can offer SOME information about options there. You might not like those options, but it's not directed at you and you, too, can ignore what you don't want to hear about.
It's not clear why you need to be an authority on this shit. In fact, it's downright bizarre. Are you medicated? I feel like I'm talking to some fat nerd kid from the midwest who never successfully stood up to his daddy or something.

This kid is the biggest idiot... It's people like him that are what's wrong with Boulder, which aside from the college-know-it-all hippies, is a pretty cool town. Thank you for leaving. Please, don't ever come back.

P.S. Change your picture, it makes you look like a complete fool.

Much love,
Doublefister

mapes

Postby mapes » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:38 pm

Pufer, have you eaten at Efrains?

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:57 pm

mapes wrote:Pufer, have you eaten at Efrains?

Me and rekopter actually ate lunch at the Boulder location last Friday. I've eaten at the Lafayette location a couple times as well.

It's solid (and cheap), if unimaginative, Americanized Mexican food. 3 Margaritas and Juanitas are probably better bets in the Boulder area, although not as cheap.

-Pufer

rekopter

Postby rekopter » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:11 pm

Pufer wrote:

Me and rekopter actually ate lunch at the Boulder location last Friday. I've eaten at the Lafayette location a couple times as well.

It's solid (and cheap), if unimaginative, Americanized Mexican food. 3 Margaritas and Juanitas are probably better bets in the Boulder area, although not as cheap.

-Pufer

Effrain's is the best bang for your buck in Boulder by a solid margin. Great margaritas, homemade chips, decent salsa, and great food.

yellowfin

Postby yellowfin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:21 pm

rekopter wrote:
Pufer wrote:

-Pufer

Effrain's is the best bang for your buck in Boulder by a solid margin. Great margaritas, homemade chips, decent salsa, and great food.

Two places come to mind for Mexican food in Boulder:

Santiagos (On the Hill between Bova's and Cosmo's, across the parking lot from Kim's To-Go)
Tortilleria El-Ray (Just west of 30th on the south side of Valmont)

KmissP

Postby KmissP » Sat May 01, 2010 12:15 pm

Papusas.

Edit to add: 'Nother vote for El Rey.

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Sat May 01, 2010 5:32 pm

yellowfin wrote:Santiagos (On the Hill between Bova's and Cosmo's, across the parking lot from Kim's To-Go)
Tortilleria El-Ray (Just west of 30th on the south side of Valmont)

I do end up eating at Santiagos (albeit the location in Lafayette) fairly often. Carnitas burrito, double smothered is solid. Their green chile is hot, and that's good enough for me most of the time. That said, a compadre of mine calls their variety of food Pueblo (CO) style Mexican food, and that seems fairly right on. Close enough to NM to know that their green chile is important, enough Mexican folk kicking around to give it a gloss of authenticity, but still basically gringo-style take-out dishes.

Taqueria El Rey is wildly overrated, IMHO. They do get credit for being the only mostly-authentic Mexican joint in Boulder, but it's just not especially good. Their menudo is solid, their tacos are actual Mexican tacos (which are impossible to find 'round these parts), and they actually have stuff like horchata, but everything that isn't tacos/menudo on the menu isn't just a little bit off from what it's supposed to be, if not fully gringoized. I mean, their chile rellenos are clearly what I've come to call Colorado-style rellenos (this "crispy or soft" question is fucking weird, especially given that the question appears to be code for "do you want a chile eggroll that we grabbed at the chinese food restaurant next door or would you prefer a California-style bun 'relleno' like you'd find at Costco?"). Because their tacos are decent at best, they need to be cheaper to make going there more justifiable.

KmissP wrote:Papusas.

I've still failed to try out Pupusas, mainly because pupusas are comida salvadoreña and I'm more of a northern/costal Mexican food kind of guy, and it has a stupid name ("Hispanic-Flavored Pupusas" has to just be an appeal to gringos who are impressed by anything written in Spanish). I've heard some good stuff, though, so I need to change that.

For any New Mexicans who happen to be reading this, they've opened up a Little Anita's down the road in Broomfield with their NM menus, so it is now possible to get proper carne adovada, sopapillas, and green chile sauce within a not-unreasonable drive from Boulder (previously, you had to drive down to the other side of downtown Denver). It's still only Little Anita's, and there're still no actual Mexican places kicking around, but it's something.

-Pufer

mountaintime

Postby mountaintime » Sat May 01, 2010 7:43 pm

Last edited by mountaintime on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yellowfin

Postby yellowfin » Sat May 01, 2010 9:08 pm

I forgot the best one: Casa Bonita. It's a little far away, but the with right approach it can be fun*. Just make sure you're not the driver.

*once

adora

Postby adora » Tue May 04, 2010 11:07 am

Just came across a great place in Longmont.

Wondering...what's the commute from Longmont like? Do many law students live there?

Are there busses that go between (that I'll have access to with my student bus pass)?

What's the town like, in general?

KmissP

Postby KmissP » Tue May 04, 2010 1:04 pm

I've lived near Longmont, and have spent a bit of time there. It's not as swanky as Boulder, which is a plus for rents. Boulder locals call it Longtucky, for a reason. There seem to be more crimes associated with gangs, meth, and redneckery, and perhaps more violence. Some neighborhoods are beautiful, with old victorians and idyllic tulip-esque landscaping. Some places are total shitholes.

It's a 20-25 minute commute from the south end of Longmont to the law school, and traffic going that direction in the morning (and the other direction in the evening) sucks.

As with anyplace, I recommend doing your own recon if possible to see how you feel about it, plus do the commute. It's quick and easy to commute at non-peak hours.

As for "things to do", be prepared to either hang out at the new Oskar Blues brewery on the north end of Longmont, or travel to Boulder. There's not much going on in Longmont.

Yes, there's a bus that will take you from Longmont (don't know where) to the downtown Boulder bus station, and from there you can grab the Skip down Broadway for a 5 minute ride to the campus.

KmissP

Postby KmissP » Tue May 04, 2010 1:09 pm

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”