Colorado 1L taking Questions!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rockthelaw

Re: Colorado 1L taking Questions!

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:33 pm

rekopter wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:Can anyone speak to the process of gaining in-state status after the first year of school?

It's very easy. Virtually everyone who wants it gets it. YOu'll need to register your car in CO (if you have one), register to vote, get a drivers license, etc.

Cool. That's exactly what the process sounded like on the school's Web site. I just didn't want to believe it was that easy.

Thanks!

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:34 pm

traehekat wrote:The CU Law website says rent, utilities, and food comes to about $8,500/year. Is this accurate? I was under the assumption COL was a bit higher than average in Boulder.

I think the site also said that the stats were based on spending less than $577/month on rent and utilities, which sounds really low for Boulder.

icarter

Postby icarter » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:01 pm

rockthelaw wrote:
traehekat wrote:The CU Law website says rent, utilities, and food comes to about $8,500/year. Is this accurate? I was under the assumption COL was a bit higher than average in Boulder.

I think the site also said that the stats were based on spending less than $577/month on rent and utilities, which sounds really low for Boulder.

$577 a month for rent & utilities is not realistic for Boulder. I believe the 8500 is for the academic year which breaks down to 944 a month, including food. I'd adjust upwards and figure that you'll spend a bit more than this to be safe.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:52 pm

I'm interested in learning more about specific employment opportunities coming out of CU. From the employment breakdown listed in the school's catalog, 49% go private practice, 15% go government, 20% go judicial clerkships, 7.5 go business, 5.5 go public interest, and 1.5 go academia.

My question is: Does anyone have a more detailed breakdown of this? For example, of the 49% going into private practice, how many go to biglaw, midlaw, and small law? What types of clerkships are grads getting? And what types of government gigs (state, federal) are grads rolling out to?

icarter

Postby icarter » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:40 pm

rockthelaw wrote:I'm interested in learning more about specific employment opportunities coming out of CU. From the employment breakdown listed in the school's catalog, 49% go private practice, 15% go government, 20% go judicial clerkships, 7.5 go business, 5.5 go public interest, and 1.5 go academia.

My question is: Does anyone have a more detailed breakdown of this? For example, of the 49% going into private practice, how many go to biglaw, midlaw, and small law? What types of clerkships are grads getting? And what types of government gigs (state, federal) are grads rolling out to?

I don't have personal knowledge of a breakdown further than this. I'd suggest contacting Dean Harris who may have this data.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:47 pm

I have a pamphlet with a salary breakdown of CU grads by # of employees in the firm, but no specifics on how many grads went into 2-10 person firms or 500+ person firms, etc, if you want that kind of information. Otherwise, I'd contact career services.

icarter

Postby icarter » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:04 pm

Yellowfin-

I can't respond to your PM due to a block on your account but feel free to email me at carter.ian@gmail.com I'd be more than happy to meet up at the end of your tour or while you are in Boulder. I am out of the country until the 25th but anytime after that would be great.

maximus32

Postby maximus32 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:52 pm

Random question...does anyone know of places to kiteboard around Boulder? I love snowboarding, but I LOVE kiteboarding and am curious if anyone out there partakes.

hockeybum

Postby hockeybum » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:16 pm

Do you guys know any transfers? Has their overall experience been positive? Also, have any of the transfers transferred to Boulder from a higher ranked school? My SO just got accepted to a PhD program there. I am currently a 1L at a school in the 25-30 range and am concerned about how it would look transferring to a lower ranked school. Thoughts?

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:35 am

maximus32 wrote:Random question...does anyone know of places to kiteboard around Boulder? I love snowboarding, but I LOVE kiteboarding and am curious if anyone out there partakes.

Isn't that a frozen lake type of thing? I have no idea if/where anyone kiteboards, but the area doesn't generally have any large, frozen lakes kicking around if it is a lake thing (at least, not where they'd be easily accessible - it doesn't stay cold enough for long enough for most lakes not a serious hike up a mountain to freeze over).

hockeybum wrote:Do you guys know any transfers? Has their overall experience been positive? Also, have any of the transfers transferred to Boulder from a higher ranked school? My SO just got accepted to a PhD program there. I am currently a 1L at a school in the 25-30 range and am concerned about how it would look transferring to a lower ranked school. Thoughts?

I think most of the transfers I've spoken to are pretty happy about coming over, but all of them whom I've spoken to transferred because they know they want to practice in Colorado. If you're hoping to get back out of the Rocky Mountain region after graduation, you best have some contacts if you come here. I wouldn't imagine you'd get much of a boost from local employers

There's only one transfer I know about who transferred down, but that could be incidental to our rankings hit (we were also ranked #32 this time last year, which was higher than her school; now we're lower) rather than her thinking how awesome it would be to go to a lower-ranked school.

Also, a couple spots (three, last year) on Law Review are set aside for transfers who do the write-on, so you'd have a pretty decent shot at making it if you get in early (especially considering that a lot of transfer offers aren't given out until after the write-on is complete, so it's a small pool).

-Pufer

maximus32

Postby maximus32 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:58 pm

Pufer wrote:
maximus32 wrote:Random question...does anyone know of places to kiteboard around Boulder? I love snowboarding, but I LOVE kiteboarding and am curious if anyone out there partakes.

Isn't that a frozen lake type of thing? I have no idea if/where anyone kiteboards, but the area doesn't generally have any large, frozen lakes kicking around if it is a lake thing (at least, not where they'd be easily accessible - it doesn't stay cold enough for long enough for most lakes not a serious hike up a mountain to freeze over).

hockeybum wrote:Do you guys know any transfers? Has their overall experience been positive? Also, have any of the transfers transferred to Boulder from a higher ranked school? My SO just got accepted to a PhD program there. I am currently a 1L at a school in the 25-30 range and am concerned about how it would look transferring to a lower ranked school. Thoughts?

I think most of the transfers I've spoken to are pretty happy about coming over, but all of them whom I've spoken to transferred because they know they want to practice in Colorado. If you're hoping to get back out of the Rocky Mountain region after graduation, you best have some contacts if you come here. I wouldn't imagine you'd get much of a boost from local employers

There's only one transfer I know about who transferred down, but that could be incidental to our rankings hit (we were also ranked #32 this time last year, which was higher than her school; now we're lower) rather than her thinking how awesome it would be to go to a lower-ranked school.

Also, a couple spots (three, last year) on Law Review are set aside for transfers who do the write-on, so you'd have a pretty decent shot at making it if you get in early (especially considering that a lot of transfer offers aren't given out until after the write-on is complete, so it's a small pool).

-Pufer

Ha, yeah frozen lakes are the preferred arena but it can be done in most consistently windy areas. Including on bodies of water in the summer. Thanks for taking a stab at it nonetheless!

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:56 am

A question I forgot to ask at the admitted students day: Is it possible to take a few undergrad classes during law school? I know at other schools you can take any undergrad classes free of charge while you are in law school. I'm just looking to take either Spanish or Portuguese during my second and third years (and maybe in the summer).

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:54 pm

the lantern wrote:A question I forgot to ask at the admitted students day: Is it possible to take a few undergrad classes during law school? I know at other schools you can take any undergrad classes free of charge while you are in law school. I'm just looking to take either Spanish or Portuguese during my second and third years (and maybe in the summer).

I know you can take various grad school classes for the same price with the permission of the other department (assuming that you aren't going over a credit cap into a higher tuition charge), but you won't necessarily get any law school credit for them.

I don't know about undergrad classes for free, but anyone can generally audit any 3-credit class for around a grand per semester through Continuing Ed (in-state; I think it's around $3k if you're a nonresident). Further, if you don't care about credit, you could probably just show up and sit in the class as if you were taking it. Unless you're thinking of upper-division Portuguese seminars or something (or end up with a prof who inexplicably takes attendance), I imagine the classes would be big enough that the prof wouldn't notice that you're not actually enrolled.

-Pufer

worldpiece17

Postby worldpiece17 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:28 pm

So I'm torn between Fordham and CU Boulder... and they couldn't be more different.

As much as I think I would enjoy living and studying in Boulder more, there are two things that Fordham has over CU (in my mind)-
1) NYC location might mean better job opportunities
2) A really strong international human rights program (which I am interested in)

Can anyone speak to getting jobs outside of CO? And the international law/human rights opportunities? Or if there aren't many at Boulder, how competitive a CU student is in applying for summer internships in NYC/DC?

rekopter

Postby rekopter » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:34 pm

worldpiece17 wrote:So I'm torn between Fordham and CU Boulder... and they couldn't be more different.

As much as I think I would enjoy living and studying in Boulder more, there are two things that Fordham has over CU (in my mind)-
1) NYC location might mean better job opportunities
2) A really strong international human rights program (which I am interested in)

Can anyone speak to getting jobs outside of CO? And the international law/human rights opportunities? Or if there aren't many at Boulder, how competitive a CU student is in applying for summer internships in NYC/DC?

If you want to practice in New York --> to Fordham.
If you want to do international/human rights --> go to Fordham

englishfire3

Postby englishfire3 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:20 pm

Hello all! I am in my last semester of undergrad and have been researching a lot of law schools. I came across CU-Boulder and was immediately drawn to the environment and beauty of the campus and surroundings. I absolutely love it out West (I'm from DC) so I was really excited to see a beautiful place. My question is about the student life and atmosphere. I've read some pretty horrible ratings of CU and was getting disappointed. However, I then reminded myself that these were reviews by undergrads. They basically said that CU is for rich, white kids who are spoiled and who love to drink, smoke, and do drugs. Is this also true for the law school students? I mean I know I wouldn't necessarily have to associate with those students, but at the same time I don't want to be surrounded by that type of environment. Can anyone offer me some insight? There's no real way for me to come out and visit within the foreseeable future, but I kind of need some positive things said about CU if I am going to keep it in mind! I'd love for it to work out for me, as I am interested in studying environmental law, and feel that Boulder would be a fantastic environment to get me going and keep me going when I will need it. Thank you all in advance! By the way, I'm new here :)

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:27 am

englishfire3 wrote:They basically said that CU is for rich, white kids who are spoiled...

Most of us aren't anywhere near rich or spoiled, but most of us are white (of course, most law students anywhere are white). Boulder itself is whiter than a Klan meeting, though, but you can avoid that by living just out of town.

englishfire3 wrote:...and who love to drink, smoke, and do drugs. Is this also true for the law school students?

The legal profession in general is one that loves to drink, and CU Law certainly operates in line with this tendency. Just this past Friday, we managed to plow through $900 worth of beer at a law school event in the law building, and there will be at least two events this coming week at the law school involving kegs.

CU Law types tend to be healthy Boulder types, so I'd suspect that the rate of tobacco use here is lower than at other law schools. I'd suspect that the exact opposite would be true as regards pot. There's no rampant use of harder drugs, though.

englishfire3 wrote:I mean I know I wouldn't necessarily have to associate with those students, but at the same time I don't want to be surrounded by that type of environment. Can anyone offer me some insight?

Don't sweat it. One of the biggest selling points of CU Law is that you really don't have to be surrounded by any kind of environment that you don't want to be. We're immensely easy-going here; your only real competition and drive will come from within yourself, and you definitely don't have to do anything you don't want to.

If you want to come to the FAC and drink a dozen free beers and hang out with everyone, that's cool. If you want to come and hang out while only having a couple beers (my method), that's cool too. If you just want to show up and drink orange juice, or not show up at all, cool. Nobody is going to show up to your house in the middle of the night to force you to drop acid and run around naked in the streets.

At the end of the day, it's still law school. This isn't Animal House; we all spend the vast majority of our time working (or doing other shit), not sitting around smoking pot and guzzling tequila. CU Law is probably more of a party school than most law schools, but this is a little bit like saying that we're one of the wildest nuns in the convent. Most of us don't have anything on the CU undergrads.

In terms of atmosphere, you simply can't do better than CU. That is, unless you really want some sort of hardcore competitive stress-fest full of uptight assholes.

-Pufer

doza

Postby doza » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum but am SO happy I came across this thread. You guys are great for taking the time to answer these questions. It has been really helpful, since I'm in the process of making my decision. I am strongly leaning towards CU, so I also appreciate your tips on where to live! Thanks so much!

icarter

Postby icarter » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:02 pm

doza wrote:Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum but am SO happy I came across this thread. You guys are great for taking the time to answer these questions. It has been really helpful, since I'm in the process of making my decision. I am strongly leaning towards CU, so I also appreciate your tips on where to live! Thanks so much!

Glad to help!! If you have any questions feel free to post here or message me.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:44 pm

Are there a decent amount of law students involved in intramural/club sports? I LOVE ultimate and would really like to keep playing it.

englishfire3

Postby englishfire3 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:41 pm

Pufer wrote:
englishfire3 wrote:They basically said that CU is for rich, white kids who are spoiled...

Most of us aren't anywhere near rich or spoiled, but most of us are white (of course, most law students anywhere are white). Boulder itself is whiter than a Klan meeting, though, but you can avoid that by living just out of town.

englishfire3 wrote:...and who love to drink, smoke, and do drugs. Is this also true for the law school students?

The legal profession in general is one that loves to drink, and CU Law certainly operates in line with this tendency. Just this past Friday, we managed to plow through $900 worth of beer at a law school event in the law building, and there will be at least two events this coming week at the law school involving kegs.

CU Law types tend to be healthy Boulder types, so I'd suspect that the rate of tobacco use here is lower than at other law schools. I'd suspect that the exact opposite would be true as regards pot. There's no rampant use of harder drugs, though.

englishfire3 wrote:I mean I know I wouldn't necessarily have to associate with those students, but at the same time I don't want to be surrounded by that type of environment. Can anyone offer me some insight?

Don't sweat it. One of the biggest selling points of CU Law is that you really don't have to be surrounded by any kind of environment that you don't want to be. We're immensely easy-going here; your only real competition and drive will come from within yourself, and you definitely don't have to do anything you don't want to.

If you want to come to the FAC and drink a dozen free beers and hang out with everyone, that's cool. If you want to come and hang out while only having a couple beers (my method), that's cool too. If you just want to show up and drink orange juice, or not show up at all, cool. Nobody is going to show up to your house in the middle of the night to force you to drop acid and run around naked in the streets.

At the end of the day, it's still law school. This isn't Animal House; we all spend the vast majority of our time working (or doing other shit), not sitting around smoking pot and guzzling tequila. CU Law is probably more of a party school than most law schools, but this is a little bit like saying that we're one of the wildest nuns in the convent. Most of us don't have anything on the CU undergrads.

In terms of atmosphere, you simply can't do better than CU. That is, unless you really want some sort of hardcore competitive stress-fest full of uptight assholes.

-Pufer

Pufer, thank you for your insight! I'm definitely not into alcohol really, so that might be a little bit of a struggle for me. And I also think I might miss a lot of the diversity I'm used to. I'm just in love with the campus, and wouldn't want to be disappointed if I actually end up going there someday. I'm curious, does the nature filled campus help you focus your energies towards studying? That sounds quite odd, and I'm not sure if that came off the way I wanted it to. I mean does the fact that CU is in the heart of the mountains and surrounded by nature, does that affect you in any way? (positively or negatively?) Anything else that you think I should/would want to know?

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:19 pm

englishfire3 wrote:Pufer, thank you for your insight! I'm definitely not into alcohol really, so that might be a little bit of a struggle for me.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much. We have a few students kicking around (a couple mormons, and various other folks) who abstain from booze completely, and it's not like the majority of the remainder is getting blitzed all the time. You don't have to drink to be accepted into the CU Law community.

englishfire3 wrote:And I also think I might miss a lot of the diversity I'm used to.

I hear you. I came to CU from New Mexico, where I lived most of my life surrounded entirely by Hispanics (I grew up down in the ghetto, going to 90+ percent minority schools; even UNM had a very large percentage of minority students).

Even though CU doesn't have all that many non-white faces in the hallways, admissions is still pretty dedicated to coming up with a diverse group of students. The lack of racial diversity in the law school (and there is a fair bit of that, don't get me wrong) is made up for by the diverse cast of characters who attend the school. I really wouldn't worry about not being able to study with interesting folks from a multitude of backgrounds.

It's really the lack of diversity in the surrounding community that gets to me more than any lack of diversity at the law school. Of course, more diverse areas are a short drive away, so you can still hang out with all the nonwhites you'd like to, just not necessarily in Boulder.

englishfire3 wrote:I'm curious, does the nature filled campus help you focus your energies towards studying? That sounds quite odd, and I'm not sure if that came off the way I wanted it to. I mean does the fact that CU is in the heart of the mountains and surrounded by nature, does that affect you in any way? (positively or negatively?)

First off, campus is nice and all, but it wouldn't hardly be mistaken for a nature preserve or anything. I wouldn't say that the campus itself is any more nature-filled than the campus of any other university in the mountain west.

As to the surrounding area, I find a certain aesthetic appeal in being close to the mountains (I'd really prefer not to live anywhere else - I don't care about water or open expanses of territory), but I'm really not much of an outside kind of guy, so I probably don't get as much use out of the ready access to trails or lakes or whatever that most folks do. I've also always been around mountains, so perhaps some of their extreme attraction to other folks is lost on me.

That said, most folks really do get out and do outdoorsy stuff pretty frequently, and I think that really keeps the overall stress level at the law school down. There's always the option at CU to just say fuck it and go for a hike in the middle of the day if all the studying is getting to you.

-Pufer

doza

Postby doza » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:39 pm

akili wrote:Are there a decent amount of law students involved in intramural/club sports? I LOVE ultimate and would really like to keep playing it.

Yeah, I'm curious about this, too. I would love to play intramural soccer and basketball! :)

englishfire3

Postby englishfire3 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:55 pm

Thank you again Pufer! I actually just learned that Louisville is only about 8 miles from Boulder and that got me pretty excited! I've heard wonderful things about Louisville! (you know, it being one of the best places to live and raise a family in, etc). Sweet..

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:36 am

doza wrote:
akili wrote:Are there a decent amount of law students involved in intramural/club sports? I LOVE ultimate and would really like to keep playing it.

Yeah, I'm curious about this, too. I would love to play intramural soccer and basketball! :)

There's a pretty decent number of folks participating in intermural/club sports. I know there's a couple basketball teams kicking around, at least last year there was a flag football team, and I think I've heard something about a soccer team. Don't know about any ultimate teams, though.

englishfire3 wrote:Thank you again Pufer! I actually just learned that Louisville is only about 8 miles from Boulder and that got me pretty excited! I've heard wonderful things about Louisville! (you know, it being one of the best places to live and raise a family in, etc). Sweet..

I live in Louisville. It's pretty great.

-Pufer

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”