Any questions about BU Law?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
smiley

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby smiley » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:39 pm

i've got no scholarships from BU, but i'm quite poor (yes, the 'rents are poor too) and hoping to get some financial aid. any idea around how much is typical? thanks!

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:27 pm

smiley wrote:i've got no scholarships from BU, but i'm quite poor (yes, the 'rents are poor too) and hoping to get some financial aid. any idea around how much is typical? thanks!

Depends how poor you are. I was in the same boat (parents unemployed), and I got 20k/year.

Steven Perry wrote:Pretty well actually, though I did think of another one.

When you looked for housing where did you start? I have some family that live about an hour outside the city so I have a decent base to start form, but I would have no idea when the best time to start shopping around is.

Its tricky. Too early or too late and you won't get any good deals. I looked a few months before and was able to find something good. Look in Allston/Brighton - not nice, but its cheap and fun. Also, BU has a roommate referral thing online that you can post on. Thats where I found my roommates.

utcris410

Postby utcris410 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:09 pm

I'm going this weekend. Can you name a few things you'd suggest I either do or see while I'm there?

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:07 am

What's the first semester like in terms of schedule? Are all of the 1L courses a full year?

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:14 am

Kiersten1985 wrote:What's the first semester like in terms of schedule? Are all of the 1L courses a full year?

None of the courses are full year actually. BU is a little different than most schools as 1st semester you only take 3 classes and a writing seminar. The school tries to ease you into the LS environment, so 1st semester you have a lot of free time to make friends and settle in. 2nd semester you have a full course load.

Also, unique to BU's 1L curriculum is a Legislation class. Its all about how to interpret statutes/bills based on Congressional record/intent and how the legislative process works. I don't know of any other school has this their 1L year, but I really enjoy it.

1t semester:
Contracts
Torts
Civil Procedure
Writing Seminar (less than half a class credit-wise)

2nd
Property
Con. Law
Crim. Law
Legislation (less than a full class)

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:08 am

Blindmelon wrote:
Kiersten1985 wrote:What's the first semester like in terms of schedule? Are all of the 1L courses a full year?

None of the courses are full year actually. BU is a little different than most schools as 1st semester you only take 3 classes and a writing seminar. The school tries to ease you into the LS environment, so 1st semester you have a lot of free time to make friends and settle in. 2nd semester you have a full course load.

Also, unique to BU's 1L curriculum is a Legislation class. Its all about how to interpret statutes/bills based on Congressional record/intent and how the legislative process works. I don't know of any other school has this their 1L year, but I really enjoy it.

1t semester:
Contracts
Torts
Civil Procedure

2nd
Property
Con. Law
Crim. Law
Legislation (less than a full class)

Thanks, Melon, that's really helpful. I'm PMing you as to not hijack this thread. Have some specific questions about my situation.

newyorklaw23

Postby newyorklaw23 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:26 pm

What are the students like at BU? I know it may be hard to generalize but if you could give me an idea of what the student body is like, and what it's like socially that would be much appreciated. Thank you!

J-Go

Postby J-Go » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:22 pm

Do you know what sort of jobs the Class of 2010 have been getting? Even if BigLaw is dried up, what about medium-sized firms, small firms, boutiques, etc. My tour guide mentioned that he got his job from an alum, but he didn't say if it was a good gig or if it was document review for $17 an hour.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”